FlexJobs Reviews

Updated 29 Dec 2020

4.7
FlexJobs Founder and CEO Sara Sutton (no image)
Sara Sutton

"Best company I’ve ever worked for!"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Career Coach

I have been working at FlexJobs full-time

Pros

They truly believe in flexibility and their company culture is first-rate. Everyone is so supportive and the training is phenomenal.

Cons

No cons! I’ll never leave!

January 12, 2021Director of People

I'm delighted to know your experience has been so positive! Thank you for taking the time to share!

2. "Awesome Place to Work!"

I have been working at FlexJobs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

True to their word, flexible and truly wants to provide a work/life balance.

Cons

No cons at this time.

"Great place to work, great people to work with!"

Current Employee - Researcher

I have been working at FlexJobs part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

FlexJobs is a great company and one of the best groups of people that I’ve ever worked with. Here, people are down-to-earth and want to help our members, help one another, and support everyone in being successful. I love the sense of team work. It is rewarding work and it’s clear that we’re helping people make their lives better. The founder and CEO is genuine and a real person. She experiences life’s challenges, just like everyone else, and is therefore sensitive to work-life balance needs. It’s so refreshing. It is the reason that she started this company. She is so appreciative to everyone and the contribution that they bring. Heart-felt praise and appreciation is also expressed by all of the managers. Everyone is valued. My director is down-to-earth and treats everyone with respect. She provides guidance and direction while giving a lot of leeway in how to accomplish the job; never micromanaging. In fact, she encourages each team member’s unique approach to problem solving and embraces ideas for improving our product, services, and processes. Questions and comments are responded to immediately. Her praise is authentic. She’s a lot of fun to work with! There is a strong sense of comradery within my team and among other teams. If someone asks a question or needs input or help, instantly several people step forward and offer assistance. The hiring practices speak to the character of the people that work here. Even though most of us have never “met” in person, every person I’ve reached out to responds in a helpful manner as if we’ve been next door neighbors our whole life. FlexJobs is a unique and very special place. There is an upbeat energy here. Working here has been the most rewarding, enjoyable, and fun professional experience I’ve ever had. I love it here!

Cons

I couldn't think of any.

"Love my job, love the work, love my team"

I have been working at FlexJobs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I may legitimately have the best job in my professional field anywhere in the world. I work on a team that is endlessly supportive and selfless. My supervisor is, without any question, the best Director of my professional field anywhere. This person not only leads their profession in every way, but they are a natural leader. This true leader encourages, enables, and empowers me to be effective in my role without exception, and extends this support equally across my team. All you want to do is to make this rare type of person proud of your effort and I would take a bullet for my supervisor.

I am trusted to do my job to the best of my abilities. I am encouraged to reach out to my team and my supervisor for help. I receive praise when I’ve excelled, and I am never shamed when I’ve fallen short. My department has an intense cohesion, despite being scattered across the country. Our team unit is very much a family and we ride on each other’s highs and get each other through rough patches. I have never derived so much personal satisfaction from a job before and I’m grateful to be surrounded by the people with whom interact every day. Our mission is clear and measurable, our focus is locked, and our passion is unparalleled.

Cons

Working from home is not for everyone. If you love the water cooler scene, if you need the motivation of a boss looking over your shoulder, if you aren’t dedicated to the task, working remotely may not be for you. This says nothing about FlexJobs, but some people feel more drawn to the "at home" part and not enough attention to the "work" itself.

December 9, 2019Director of People

Wow! These are very kind words and I'm thrilled that your experience is so overwhelmingly positive. :-) Thank you for taking the time to share.

"Supportive colleagues and overall great place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at FlexJobs full-time

Pros

- Supportive and collaborative environment - Managers are trustworthy AND trusting - Career development and growth is a priority - The work is MEANINGFUL, impactful, and interesting - The CEO is accessible and truly cares about her employees - The perks are fantastic and thoughtful

Cons

I don't have any cons to share.

January 7, 2020Director of People

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at FlexJobs. We are thrilled things are going so well for you and hope you'll let us know if you have suggestions for improvements.

"Don’t. Just don’t."

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at FlexJobs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible and remote. But, while flexible, your every move is watched and you might be asked to track your hours in great detail. You’ll take culture surveys and be encouraged to rate things positively. The company is small enough that they can tell who is who in any suggested or negative comments. And you could be called out in front of everyone for your “anonymous” remarks and then a grudge will be held against you. Peers are normal and nice.

Cons

The CEO and HR person have no idea what they are doing. They have never run a company or held a leadership position at a respected company. They struggle to keep it together. There is no transparency. It’s a big brother environment of micro management from the top. There is absolutely no strategy. No one knows what the company goals are because there is no clear communication. The CEO contradicts herself and changes her mind constantly. Others get blamed for her incompetence. Ideas are shot down in meetings and people are belittled in front of teammates. No one working there knows if the company is even profitable. It’s a culture of fear. There are no career opportunities or development and the pay is sub-par. Top management rotates out often. It’s a rotating door. It’s a scramble and feels like the company is constantly teetering on the edge. The CEO is out of the office 50% of the time traveling for personal reasons and decisions are only allowed to be made with her permission. You won’t actually be allowed to lead anything at all. You won’t be trusted. You can do a lot better. Consider other opportunities.

September 5, 2019Director of People

FlexJobs, like many successful companies, has had some growing pains along the way. As this former employee states, those changes haven’t always been as smooth as we would’ve preferred. We've understood that everyone has different comfort levels with change, and it can be difficult to adapt to shifts in strategy. Unfortunately, not everyone has been able to or chosen to stay with FlexJobs through all of those changes. As a team and in our culture, we always aim to do our best to communicate as much as possible, to handle situations respectfully, and to consider both the short and long-term benefits for our team, our audience, our partners, and other key participants in the company. In an ideal world, we wish we could make all situations smooth and a good fit for everyone, however, we realize that’s not always possible. Unfortunately, it’s a reality that sometimes people will not see eye-to-eye and will be unhappy about the outcomes, which we’re sorry for. It’s honestly the least favorite part of our jobs. That being said, the claims in the review that attack our company culture and team are greatly exaggerated and/or patently false. While we are the first to say that we are not perfect, and we’re sure there are situations that could’ve been handled better over the years, he/she does a disservice to the amazing people we have in the company, working brilliantly and with great positive impact to help others find better work situations, and doing so in a culture that has made many others very happy. At the end of the day, our hope would have been that the employee would have brought up some of these concerns as they came up, however, we wish them the best in their future endeavors.

"Great culture and flexibility!"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at FlexJobs full-time

Pros

FlexJobs is a wonderful place to work, with an important mission and an awesome culture that is collaborative, supportive, fun, and innovative, all at once. While you're encouraged to reach high; to set and work toward achieving ambitious goals; and to challenge yourself to grow in your role, the atmosphere isn't too high-pressure or stressful - and ample resources are offered to help you accomplish all of the above. The company "walks the talk," so to speak - and encourages flexibility (in terms of work hours, schedule, etc.) - which was a huge pro for me, personally. Despite everyone working remotely (another big pro!), FlexJobs does a great job of making sure everyone really feels like part of the team. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working here and admire the values of this company.

Cons

Not too many cons :)

July 9, 2019Director of People

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback! Your advice is appreciated. :)

"I guess I'm the odd one out but I hated almost every second of my time there."

2.0

I worked at FlexJobs full-time

Pros

They evangelize and advocate for remote and flexible work, which is awesome. The service is great for job-seekers.

Cons

Leadership is a joke. The higher-ups all talk a big game about flexibility but then don't grant the same consideration to their "underlings". Junior employees are micro-managed on a variety of levels and just generally treated like inferior team members. The goal of the CEO is pretty much to get on TV. Period.

January 15, 2019Director of People

While I'm disappointed to hear that you were so unhappy during your time with our company, I do appreciate the feedback that you provided. I would love the opportunity to talk with you directly to get a better understanding of your experiences, particularly around not being granted flexibility and being treated poorly. While there are some roles that have different levels of flexibility available due to the specifics of the work, every employee works from home (typically considered the brass ring of work flexibility) and a very generous paid time off policy. If there were levels of flexibility that should have been a part of your employment that was withheld, I would definitely want to know about that. We work hard to create a culture of proactive and open communication here and I wish I had known that someone was feeling like they were being treated like they were inferior. While it's too late to fix your experience, if you'll reach out with details, we'd like the opportunity to learn and do better. I'm not sure how to respond to the comment about the goal of the CEO being to get on TV other than to respectfully disagree. It's actually something she's pretty uncomfortable with but does when needed to help the company. It's an important part of her job. I sincerely hope that you've found something that is a better fit and that makes you happy. I'm sure you know how to contact me if you'd like to provide more details on any of your experiences.

"Best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at FlexJobs full-time

Pros

Great mission and heart! Love how they treat their people.

Cons

Can't think of any cons. Of course challenges come up, as with any job, but everyone works together to solve problems.

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FlexJobs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible Work Amazing Management Positive Work Environment Fun Team Meetings

Cons

There is no cons really

January 15, 2019Director of People

Thanks so much for taking the time to give your thoughts and for the feedback on advancement opportunities. As a small organization, we do find ourselves limited but we are looking for ways to provide more learning and development opportunities overall.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews