Cover image for Freestone Capital Management

78% Recommend to a Friend
93% Approve of CEO

Found 32 of over 33 reviews

4.1
Freestone Capital Management Founder, Senior Partner Gary Furukawa (no image)
Gary Furukawa
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great people and place to work

21 Nov 2022 - Client Service in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-People here are really great -There is a career track for people who want to grow and advance. Isn't just something said, I've actually seen it happen - especially for people wanting to be an advisor -Catered lunches 4 days/week -Profit sharing and special bonuses have been paid when the company and LPs do well.

Cons

- remote work is an option, but its 4 days in office/1 day remote for employees with less than 4 yrs of experience. Wish it was more like a 3 day/2 day split like it is for people with 4 or more years of experience. - expensive to park downtown

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Overall great work place

29 Nov 2022 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free daily catered lunches, 17 days PTO starting out.. increases to 21 days after 2 years. Great company culture

Cons

none. maybe seattle parking situation but that goes with any company located downtown

3. Join the Freestone Capital Management team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great teammates - collaborative, social culture

26 Oct 2022 - Managing Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

The founders believe in teamwork, and work to encourage this at the firm. Most employees work on small teams, which helps with personal development. Also, people work well across teams, particularly when multiple departments are involved. Freestone is in a client-service business, so it's a fast-paced environment where employees are expected to excel. I enjoy the pace and the challenge. The culture is quite social with regular events (dinners, drinks, etc.), volunteer days, and offsite retreats for the entire company.

Cons

As headcount increases, more HR support is needed.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great culture, plenty of opportunity

25 Oct 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-great people, fun vibe -plenty of perks - profit sharing, daily lunches, annual firm retreat (Hawaii this year) -clear communication of path & what you need to be successful -flexible RTW policy (3 days/week in office for most)

Cons

-great place for self-starters, so there isn't a ton of proactive nurturing

6. 1.0
    Former Employee

Terrible COO

19 Oct 2022 - Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Personal politics at it worst.

Cons

Very, very dysfunctional, inbred company culture. Run!

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good

3 Sep 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice view, young, hip company

Cons

Office is disorganized and looks like they just moved in

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

So good

7 Jun 2022 - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture here is so good

Cons

You have to be strict at your schedule and the salary stays the same

9. 5.0

Awesome

14 Jan 2022 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super friendly, hard working people

Cons

The ideology of the place is not modern

10. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Very Solid place to work

10 Nov 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great and the mission commendable. Everyone is very friendly and wants to see you succeed.

Cons

Technology is still a little old school, can get a little annoying.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A Place I Truly Enjoy Showing Up To Each Day

18 Dec 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The People and Environment It is a real gift to work with people I genuinely enjoy, feel challenged by, and have a great time with while doing really good work for our clients. A nice side benefit is knowing I'm in for a few really good laughs with my colleagues on any given day. Teams across the firm often provide training opportunities on Investments, Taxes, etc. People genuinely seem to care about their colleagues learning more. Overall, I just feel supported by the people here and enjoy a great work/life balance! The Location and Office Space I really try to not take our office location for granted, especially the view! IT IS INCREDIBLE! Being located on the 74th floor provides the best views available in Seattle. The View Deck that people pay for is one floor below us. The food options downtown, when I choose to eat out, are incredible. The company recently installed electric standing for anyone who wanted one. These desks have really made a big difference in the way I feel each day (vs. sitting all the time). The gym in the building was recently remodeled and is excellent, especially considering it is only $15/month. Fun Annual company retreats are a ton of fun and a great place to have some additional fun and connection with my colleagues. Locations over the last 6 years have been: Kauai, Laguna Beach, Sun Valley, San Diego, and Suncadia. Holiday parties are really nice and a lot of fun. In addition to this, we've had a summer kickball event each year for the firm and many different team-specific events too (think paddle boarding, ax throwing, karaoke, ping pong at Spin Seattle, F-1 go kart racing, etc.) The Benefits Comp: Freestone is the first company I've worked for where compensation is actually market driven and supported based on Schwab's RIA benchmarking study with 12,000+ RIAs submitting their comp data for all positions. Previous places I have been at were more like "this is what we think..." rather than actually base comp on the high side of real market data. Free Lunches 4 different lunch options are paid for and provided by Freestone each day (Mon - Fri) - Salads, Sandwiches, Pizza, Thai, Fried Chicken, etc. There are always both meat and veggie options each day. Annual 401K match I've worked for a handful of different companies over my career (3 in Financial Services) and the annual 401K match is definitely the best I've had or heard of from other RIAs around. Profit Sharing How many RIAs actually do this for all of their employees?! I know the previous places I've worked didn't and unfortunately many RIAs don't as well. All employees received an identical amount in their 401K when certain thresholds are hit! Freestone LP Investments The LPs portion of our business provides significant value to our clients by giving them access to investments they might not otherwise have access to. When our clients have done really well, we have done really well too with yet another bonus opportunity to add to our total comp amount in a given year (and these have been very generous!) Summer Fridays Last summer was our first summer of doing this. The office was closed early each Friday so we could spend more time outdoors and with our friends & family. I was really surprised how much this meant to me once we began doing it. The 3 extra hours each Friday helped kick off each summer weekend in a really nice way. Volunteer Days Volunteer opportunities are offered and encouraged and in turn results in a day of extra PTO. This was a really nice addition a few years back.

Cons

Definitely not a place for those who just want to coast and not put forth a meaningful effort in doing good work for our clients, or for those who really don't want to advance in their career. Benefits overall are incredibly generous (market leaders in many categories for sure), but the medical and dental options are just average based on what I've seen and heard from others at different RIAs and financial services organizations - most specifically for those with spouses and/or children. Would love to see more improvements where possible in this area.

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 32 Reviews
</>Embed

Freestone Capital Management Reviews FAQs

Freestone Capital Management has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 33 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at Freestone Capital Management to a friend and 85% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Freestone Capital Management employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Freestone Capital Management. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

78% of Freestone Capital Management employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Freestone Capital Management 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.