Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company is focused on trying to create a good work life balance for employees (in 9 reviews)

• Free lunch on Fridays, unlimited snacks and drinks, amazing espresso machine (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • A few growing pains but all being addressed by management (in 9 reviews)

• Company is growing fast, not enough seats (in 4 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange (Less than a year)

Pros

Recently joined Index. Some pros are: fantastic manager, helpful and friendly coworkers, good work environment & benefits. Most importantly, challenging yet rewarding work projects.

Cons

Can't think of any, no company is perfect but no major cons.

"High turnover rate, inexperienced management and coworkers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Free snacks
    Free lunch
    Free swag sometimes

Cons

No work-life balance
    Little respect for working parents
    Immature, inexperienced hires fresh out of university
    No mentoring
    Weird family business dynamic
    Managers without people skills or training (lots of internal hires and promotion)
    Little to no experienced senior people

Advice to Management

Don't work so much / have a life outside of work and external achievements--it'll help you understand the people who work for you better

4 Dec 2017 – Sr. Director, Engineering

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I don’t know how long you’ve been away - but in 2017 we’re delighted to have hired a very strong new group of Engineering leaders. While we’re proud to... More

"Look out for IX - The next big disruptor in the ad tech space!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Index Exchange part-time

Pros

Company - They hold true to their core values - Openness, Trust, and Transparency. These values are followed religiously across the organization, and this is a critical differentiator among other players in the space.

Work culture - Work culture has been one of the primary driving force towards the company success. The HR team are very keen and take an active role in ensuring all the employees are feeling comfortable within the office environment. The company organizes various extracurricular activities now and then to network and get to know more about coworkers.

Benefits - Free lunch on Friday, stocked kitchen with drinks, great medical insurance programs, gym reimbursements, commuter benefits program, etc

Transparency - This is the best part of working at Index. There is always clarity in communication from the Top management team to all the employees regarding the product updates, company's short-term and long-term plan, etc.

People - Everyone is just amazing, very welcoming and always there to lend a helping hand.

Cons

None as such.

Induction/onboarding Program could be more streamlined.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a wonderful job. Continue the same way..Cheers!!!

"Just say "No" to working here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enticing, modern work space. Free lunches & anytime snacks. Don't let these things fool you.

Some people are highly skilled and smart, but sadly confined by drama.

Cons

IX has a lot of seemingly great people, but the company is sadly ruined by a strong minority who are dramatic, like gossip, are uncooperative, complain and fiercely do not adapt to new ways of working. Also, this difficult behavior is unfortunately supported by some poor managers.

Company acknowledges that they need to make improvements and progress, but when you try and implement things, they ironically shut you down.

HR does nothing in the way of creating internal programs for employees to support change management and new ways of working, and reduce resistance, nor invests in enhancing the culture of the company.

Some people are "comfortable" in their jobs with no motivation to strive further, and are lazy and slow. Some also take things too personally, don't manage their emotions, or focus on working even a little harder or more efficiently without breaking down, calling in sick, etc.

Product is a department to avoid. No support. Lots of gossip and drama.

Index says they are pro remote work and have the tools for this, but that only works with people who have effective communication skills, and Index lacks greatly in this area.

Upper management is non responsive and unhelpful to employees in general.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Support your managers. Focus on the job and not emotions, or whether people like each other one day or the next, or have emotional reactions when their role changes or they have to work harder. Adaptability is the key to success. Some managers need to go due to a lack of maturity. Culture needs a big shift away from drama and gossip.

30 Nov 2017 – SVP, Engineering

We regret that your experience during your short tenure with us wasn't as you would have hoped. We wish you the very best in your career ahead. With respect to the specifics you shared, while we're a... More

"Working here keeps your mind sharp"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other than the obvious pros stated in other reviews (lunches, gym membership, flexible hours), there are a couple of unique pros associated with this company. The biggest is the people and the culture. There's a lot of genuine respect and admiration within teams, and the spirit of teamwork is very strong here. The second pro is that the pace of work combined with the actual subject matter creates a work environment that is always intellectually stimulating and challenging. Working here keeps your mind sharp.

Cons

Many other reviews have addressed the rapid growth of the company and all the resulting issues, particularly in relation to management. This is definitely true and has been fairly disruptive for some teams more than others. However, I'm maintaining a positive outlook and I've found that the recent changes we've seen throughout Engineering and Product are significant and positive.

Advice to Management

Recognize that people respond to change in very different ways, and try to provide multiple avenues through which employees can voice their concerns and ask for support.

Also, every single employee should have a well defined career path and description of responsibilities, and they should be aware of both. Keep working on this.

5 Oct 2017 – Engineering Manager

Thanks so much for being part of our team and sharing your perspectives here. Fully agreed on the exceptional team and the stimulating mind-sharpening work. As a relatively new Manager, I've... More

7. "Dynamic People, Fun Workplace, Great Company Culture"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truly fantastic, caring, intelligent, and fun coworkers. Everyone really gets along well, and enjoys seeing each other and spending time together.
    Great looking office spaces, with fun perks like catered Friday lunches, lots of food and drink options, birthday celebrations, and branded swag.
    Health care is provided at no cost to employees, they provide a 5% match on 401K, and they contribute to gym memberships.
    If you work hard and accomplish goals, it is usually recognized and appreciated.
    Hands down the best work culture/ environment I've ever been a part of.
    Company is focused on trying to create a good work life balance for employees.

Cons

For a long time there was less of a focus on giving the back end teams (IT, Office Services, HR, etc) what they need to thrive. There was always a good focus on what client facing teams need, but not anywhere near as much if you were not client facing. That has been starting to improve recently.
    There are definitely growing pains involved with growing so rapidly. There are some who have been here for its pre- Index Exchange days that definitely have had trouble accepting and adapting to the changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to care about and support employees.
    Making sure the company is inclusive to all teams and offices.
    Make education available to everyone and try to help employees successfully grow.

10 Oct 2017 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks so much for this review. I'm delighted that you appreciate the investments we make in our exceptional teams! We're excited to be empowered to increase that investment in areas like our People... More

8. "No Place Like Home (IX)..."

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture! A huge contributor to my happiness at work is to have good relationships with my coworker, and Index has it. The work is challenging and rewarding, and the company has a strong product making us innovators and leaders in the AdTech space.

Cons

It's difficult to get to know the newbies as we grow so fast, but just be open to introducing yourself!

PS. Don't forget your sweater! It get's a little chilly in office.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

9. "Amazing Place To Grow, Learn and Meet Awesome People!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, where you really feel valued as an employee! The company is growing very quickly, but you still feel noticed as an individual rather than a number. People here genuinely care about each other and it makes working at the company very enjoyable. There's a lot of room to grow into your role and people are always willing to help. You know you're working with very intelligent people.

Cons

No big complaints - but one thing that I'd love would be more interaction between all the offices. Obviously it's difficult when we're talking about global offices, but it'd be great to get to know everyone in other locations.

10. "Long Term Opportunity to Grow in Exciting Space"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Index does the HARD things really well. Great track record of hiring supportive, collaborative, inquisitive, diverse, and fun work force. No bad apples or cliques to impact cooperative culture. One-of-a-kind "Family Business" in Ad Tech. The company has more pride and long term aspirations than your typical ad tech company that is controlled by investors and revolving leadership that pivots every 6 months. You are given resources and technology to make your clients extremely happy which is very satisfying for the commercial team. Our office has authentic SF culture with core Canadian values.

Cons

As with any regional office (outside of HQ) you will have to over communicate and persist for information from larger offices and Tech HQ. The dishwasher was broke for almost two weeks but what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Advice to Management

Now is the time to focus on the "easy" stuff around process, role definition, and assigning accountability. I see this taking shape now and look forward to seeing us continue to scale in 2018.

11. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology and warm, family-run culture. In sales/BD, executives have weighted team goals strongly which discourages "lone-wolves" and greedy behavior from salespeople. Team wins are as important as individual ones. Exceptional latitude to adapt and pivot have led the former Casale Media to turn Index Exchange into a powerhouse. The ethos in the industry is transparency, safety and comfort for both buyers and sellers that IX is a real force in header bidding for good vs. black boxes and walled-gardens!

Cons

Hiring good people is challenging. As such, some job openings will go 4 months before being filled leaving some extra work for the current employees. Good news is that we rarely hire poorly and protect our culture.

Advice to Management

Give HR more resources to recruit faster.