Index Exchange Reviews

Updated 25 Jul 2020

3.8
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "Benefits - Free lunch on Friday, stocked kitchen with drinks, great medical insurance programs, gym reimbursements, commuter benefits program, etc(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of any other successful company(in 16 reviews)

• "IX is a toxic work environment, don't work here if you care about,your career or your mental health(in 7 reviews)

1. "Going Places"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great time to be involved at such a innovative company

Cons

Do not just invest in new initiatives, some older ones need a review and overhaul

2. "Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Data Engineer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

cultuer is great, truly collaborative team work and provide equal opportunities (female engineer ratio is pretty high)

Cons

tech stack could use some update - consider use some cloud maybe?

"On a slippery slope but salvageable with divine intervention"

Former Employee - Client Facing Team
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits (401K match, vacation policy, maternity leave). Strong technical infrastructure. Good sense of culture (though harder for a new or remote employee to tap into).

Cons

For a company that promotes transparency one cannot help but feel shadiness in every corner. Big announcements that should be rolled out in phases get announced last minute (deprecation of entire teams, the firing of team leads, changes to processes, big product announcements), with little to no heads up. When asked for help in rolling out these changes, executive leadership will leave rollout and communication to the client-facing individuals with little to no support but will then get frustrated when individuals are still confused months later. They'll ask for feedback on changes implemented but won't do anything with it. It's not uncommon for the conversation, "Hey, did you know XX got let go a few weeks ago?" to occur among employees. For the past couple years, goals and quotas haven't been announced until halfway through the relevant quarter. It's worrying that the past year has seen many key departures, mostly former-champions of the company. Everyone has at least 3x the book of business they can actually support as replacements for those departures have yet to be filled and orphaned clients get redistributed to the remaining team members. The actual tools are awfully outdated, hindering the quality and speed of support to clients. Every year the teams surface requests to MGMT on suggestions that should be made to the interface and back-end resources to better their day to day but 95% of those get ignored and appear to not be deemed a priority by executives. These concerns have been bubbled up to upper management repeatedly and it's evident that they paint a different picture of the true morale to their own higher ups. Though the benefits are great, monetary compensation is below tech industry average.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work with lots of autonomy and a great tech stack. Many perks similar to most tech companies of similar size. Attractive office location

Cons

Many restructures causing disruption, but only as a side-effect of continued growth

5. "1 year in, so far so good!"

5.0

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very talented teams, amazing clients and product, being with a true market leader. Stocked kitchens, catered lunches, fully paid health benefits. Very transparent and "down to earth" leadership.

Cons

They have been around for a while, with little growth but now are in hyper growth. Lots of growing pains that any startup will go through, but on the plus side, great technology, established A-lister clients and no debt.

"Boring and unrewarding work for software developers"

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company management seems great. They are not entitled. They care about their employees and this is not an hire and fire company. Pay and perks are great considering what we do.

Cons

Tech is horrible. Almost nobody knows what they do in that company. They lured new employees telling them they will work with Go, Docker, Kafka and all sort of new and cool tech but their usage of those is horrible. There's no tech lead which takes decisions so most of the time we get a bunch of terrible code written by inexperienced developers. Worse than all, most of that tech is written by so-called engineer without a proper degree and they know nothing about software architecture and optimization. I've never seen such a lack of CS fundamentals among developers in my career. However, this might be a company for you if you like to hack around until it works ... We are fixing easy bugs most of the time and it takes forever because everyone has it's own opinion about the potential fix. We almost never write new code.

April 21, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

At Index Exchange, we value all employee feedback and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We’ve continued to make investments in our people and infrastructure to position IX for continued growth. We believe that these investments are paying off and will reap rewards well into the future. Today, more than half of our Engineering teams are working in technologies such as Golang, Angular, Spark/Scala, Kafka and Docker/Kubernetes, with more teams shifting to modern technologies on every project. We continually assess the structure of product delivery teams to facilitate a better balance between our new platforms and our legacy systems that will engage and grow our employees in the best way possible. Always know your manager or director is there to listen and to share on the technology vision and strategy at Index Exchange.

"Don't be fooled by the surface perks. Toxic, unhealthy work environment"

1.0

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

4 wks-vacation days (tho you're "on call" during most of them), snacks/catering, new computer equipment/technology, free health benefits, very strong engineering team, CEO is A+

Cons

very hierarchical and gossipy, mean girls/ high school mentality, NO trust or transparency in anyway, make v. strange/rash decisions about firing people without explanation or sound reasoning and then promote whoever is left, salaries low for industry by a lot ( they try to hide it), work atmosphere is always suspicious and anxiety very high, HR group is a complete mess- recruiting in US is embarrassing and unprofessional (feedback from current candidates), HR "leaders" except learning/development team are not trustworthy, incompetent, unqualified and generally not good people ( I worry about their decision making abilities), little room for advancement unless you're a favorite, they're having a hard time scaling the business as it grows, too many fake insincere people, “because I said so” decision rationale, bad work/life balance

May 18, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for sharing your perspective. We encourage you to speak to your immediate manager or ELT member regarding your experience and how to improve it. It’s important for all of our employees to feel supported and have a voice, and working with their manager or ELT member is the first step. We are here to support you and ensure you are working in an environment that is positive, supportive and allows you to be yourself at work. At Index Exchange, we take feedback seriously and have numerous vehicles to facilitate it including 1:1s, employee surveys and open dialogue sessions to understand the employee experience and where improvements are necessary. Like any growing company, we have opportunities to improve and we’re committed to doing so.

"Overworked, understaffed, fire people without addressing the problem."

2.0

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

A leading online ad exchange, benefits are very competitive, 4 weeks vacation is nice. Global company with a great rich.

Cons

In about 7 months that I worked at Index, I went through 4 managers, 2 of which were fired within weeks of each other and one who quit. People who were here for about a year on the same team went through six. The GSC team is terribly understaffed, overwhelmed, with low morale, and management is doing nothing to address this. Support for older products has been dropped, yet the newer products lack critical features to support them. Create clear SLAs for the GSC team, GSC cannot be expected to respond to clients immediately on things that require time to investigate, especially when they are overwhelmed with other work. Decided to switch from Jira to Salesforce, Salesforce is for sales people, not support.

April 1, 2020Senior Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your comment. We recognize that we have opportunities to improve our Services organization and are committed to doing so. We are taking action to add experience to the team and re-evaluate internal processes to ensure we meet our clients’ expectations while providing rewarding careers for IXers. We are confident that these changes will make a positive and sustainable improvement for all.

9. "Excellent company to work for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited sick days, excellent leadership, and career development opportunities. Compensation is excellent.

Cons

Used to have free daily lunches but no longer.

10. "Would recommend"

Current Employee - Support in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, great benefits, free snacks

Cons

Things are changing very fast, lack of transparency of changes

Found 138 reviews