Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.4
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone works hard but has a great work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Index Exchange is somewhere that you can bring your whole self to work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • A few growing pains but all being addressed by management (in 12 reviews)

• Young inexperienced managers and lack of senior managers and developers, work life balance is a joke, the culture is to work long hours (in 5 reviews)

1. "It's clearly, simply, the best work environment I've ever been in."

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Vision, Culture, Future path

Cons

Growing pains of any other successful company.

13 Apr 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Wow, thank you for this lovely review. We love to hear that our being very intentional about creating the right environment for employee success is having the desired effect! Please do flag if there... More

2. "A great company to work for if you want to stagnate your technical skills and abilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and great perks, such as catered lunches, free snacks, and gym memberships. Frequent team outings and company-wide events. Management and process improved during my time with the company but could be improved upon still. A lot of nice people in most departments.

Cons

Note: This is for the Toronto location of the engineering department.

Nepotism, company politics, and poor cross-departmental communication are very rampant in this company. If you want to grow your career and not worry about being caught in company politics, go elsewhere. The Toronto tech scene is thriving, and IX does not play a role in that.

Management and leadership team lack in management skills, industry knowledge, and communication skills. They have hired some great new managers to help the team scale, but unfortunately, the majority of senior and tenured employees lack experience and are behind in what is happening in the tech scene, have poor communication skills and low emotional intelligence.

The most disappointing part is that the culture of unwillingness to learn and communicate has trickled down and is perpetuated by employees who have been working with the company for a while. As a result, the tech stack is extremely outdated and the company lacks innovation. People want to stick to what they know because they are afraid to try anything that would hurt their egos. People would rather be right than actually do what is best for the product.

The process has improved in my time working at Index, but still has a long way to go. There was very little thought and planning into the products we were building. It doesn't help that there is very little communication between the business and engineering teams. It's very common for projects to pivot mid-way or not even ship at all, because of poor teamwork, planning, and resourcing.

Additionally, the company culture is awful. The HR and people team don't do anything to help their employees and are willfully ignorant of how it truly is them. The HR and people team are just like IX's social media presence - all style, no substance. How the company is portrayed in social media is extremely deceptive and only represents a portion of the company.

Index does not encourage diversity of thought, backgrounds, or opinions either. Almost everyone comes from the same cookie cutter background. Voicing your opinion that is against the status quo is extremely frowned upon. The company was heading in a right direction in actually listening to their employees' concerns; however, when employees actually started voicing their opinion, they changed how people can communicate their concerns in a way that actually discouraged them to do so.

Index is definitely experiencing growing pains and that's understandable -- however, whenever Index takes a step forward in improving as a company, they'll take another two steps back.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Improve how you're treating your employees, so they actually feel like they're contributing to your company instead of just a cog in a machine. You've started gathering feedback from employees, so do something about it instead of getting defensive and skirting around.

3. "Growing with the right leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Rapidly growing company
    - Strong leadership guidance with acute foresight into industry trends
    - Collaborative and nurturing environment
    - Opportunities to succeed and expand responsibilities

Cons

- Rapid learning curve
    - Need self-directed attitude to succeed

Advice to Management

- Hire more experienced managers with outside knowledge

6 Apr 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you so much for this review - and for joining us on our journey for several years! We feel very fortunate to have gathered such an exceptional team. We're excited to do more this year to expand... More

4. "Growth in true value"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Transparent company wide goals are shared from the top to bottom with clear and insightful feedback on performance.
    - Driven employees that want to grow with the company and put in extra hours to provide quality service to our publishers.
    - Industry leading technology that challenges duopoly giants in the exchange.

Cons

- Sell side and eng. silos still exist but there are more efforts to keep both sides more in the know about product progress.

Advice to Management

Continue to put our company's goals and values first!

6 Apr 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you very much for this review. Our team is doing remarkable things - and we love hearing that we're doing well on the transparency front. Intentions there are always good but execution isn't... More

5. "Supportive Work Environment"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

- Very supportive of working parents
    - Innovative and at the forefront of industry technology
    - Actively working to make things more organised and function better for employees and customers

Cons

- Typical growing pains
    - Would benefit for more hires from the industry to get diverse opinions when it comes to decision making

Advice to Management

- Would like to see a true C-Suite in senior leadership.

6. "Best Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- great perks
    - convenient locations
    - strengths are always acknowledged
    - lots of transparency

Cons

- I don't really have any?

7. "Many opportunities to learn and contribute"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Note: I have never worked in any of the offices except for the Kitchener office so my feedback does not apply to the Toronto office (main office).

What stands out most among my experience at IX is that there are many opportunities to become a technical and team leader by taking on additional responsibilities to drive the project architecture. Time is allocated towards project research and having the motivation to dive deep (as is reasonable) is rewarded.

Team members are also encouraged to spend a portion of work time doing activities that are not directly project-related. Book clubs, conferences, courses are all recommended. It's left to the engineer to figure out what avenues of exploration provide the most value to them.

Management that understands what it means to keep employees happy in the long-term and how to assist in career growth. They often have the competency to contribute to meetings with the explicit goal of unblocking engineers. Teams are encouraged to push the boundaries, even if there's a possibility of failure, which is expected and a good learning experience.

People teams are exceedingly friendly and company culture is taken quite seriously. They work hard to get to know everyone and aren't seen as a distant HR manager.

The company provides fairly regular business updates and Q&A sessions that provide good insight into how the company is progressing. Executive team demonstrates frequently in Q&A sessions that they are passionate, but beyond that, they are people -- not always perfect and can react emotionally to emotionally charged questions. Personally, I feel like this makes them more approachable.

The engineers that I've worked with are smart and helpful, interested in continuous improvement, despite the overall engineering talent being somewhat younger in age and more junior than what you might expect to see at a mid-sized tech company.

The office is pretty nice and spacious. There are a lot of non-work-related interests that are apparent within the office and groups are formed when a bit of context switching downtime can be squeezed in during the workday. Whether it's ping pong tournaments, rocket league competitions, or a thoughtful game of Go, the concept of a balanced work schedule is not met with any resistance here.

Salary and benefits are quite competitive, but still pretty far from the compensation provided by large American tech firms.

My impression is that the executive team understands the ad-tech market very well and are able to drive focus onto the most important growth initiatives. The company, however, does recognize that there are very clear deficiencies in some of the software solutions provided and that technical debt needs to be addressed.

Cons

There is a lack of visibility into architecture teams and excessive reliance on their feedback before making decisions. The company seems to be in a state where architecture resources are frequently needed to help make decisions but a lot of the decisions should likely be delegated to senior engineers instead of having project bottlenecks.

Projects can also be slow to ramp up as insufficient planning or understanding of the scope of work forces teams to figure out what needs to be done on the fly. This is both a negative as well as an opportunity for those that take the initiative to serve as a technical product owner within their own team.

The office services team is slow and unresponsive in terms of allowing employees to enter the office outside of core 9-5 hours. There have been multiple occasions where I've come to the office slightly earlier or wanted to come outside of those time periods and not been able to get in. This is really a downer and should be a really trivial issue to fix.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the company vision and treating all employees like partners with a common goal!

2 Apr 2018 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for this very thoughtful review. We invest a lot in providing opportunities for learning and career growth, but we also have ambitious goals for our work output, so we sometimes lose sight... More

8. "IX cares about it's people AND the industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Innovative company looking to better the ad tech space
    - The company is in it for the long hall, not a quick sale.
    - The company genuinely cares about it's employees. People come to work here to have a career, not as a stepping stone for another move.
    - The culture and environment is extremely warm and welcoming. Everyone works hard but has a great work life balance.

Cons

- We are starting to outgrow our space, but we will be moving locations within the next year. I'm happy to say that is the only con.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It's inspiring to watch the company expand, and I'm ecstatic to be part of the company.

3 Apr 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for this lovely review. We're delighted to see employees feeling this way about the positive growth environment every Indexer helps us build every day. And we do care a great deal about... More

9. "Great company with huge potential"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

- Company has a great vision, and the determination to fulfill it
    - People are friendly, intelligent and not afraid to share their opnion
    - Work life balance is pretty strong and being a family company they ensure that family comes first

Cons

- Over the past few years, there have been a few growing pains but the exec team has been focused on addressing any issues that scaling so quickly has created

Advice to Management

- Keep the communication channels open and continue to empower more junior members of staff

10. "Great company with lots of potential to grow even more"

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering management really started to care for their employees. Opinions are now well respected and any form of disrespect is frowned upon and unacceptable. IX grew tremendously over the last few years and most in engineering truly believe we will grow even more. They brought in a several senior people to be the new managers and directors in engineering, and this brought on a very positive change to the department. It's also great to see that the CEO does not have to worry about some external investors, as we are 100% financially independent.

Cons

Office needs to expand, but they are already working on this

Advice to Management

Some calls, no matter who you are, need to be discussed with other managers before being made. Some, but not all engineering managers still need work in this area. Many engineering teams have suffered from frequent priority shifts due to this.

12 Mar 2018 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for sharing your experiences and how they've evolved over time. While I'm pretty confident we always cared, if it wasn't readily apparent to the team, that's all on us and I regret it very... More