Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.3
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone works hard but has a great work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "Index Exchange is somewhere that you can bring your whole self to work" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with building out upper management, though there has been definite progress in the last 6 months" (in 14 reviews)

• "Young inexperienced managers and lack of senior managers and developers, work life balance is a joke, the culture is to work long hours" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very flat structure - entry level roles get to work/collaborate with C level executives
    - Transparent environment - hold monthly company wide meetings to share what each division is currently focusing on
    - Great work culture, very casual and friendly
    - Flexible work hours and free food

Cons

- Growing pains with building out upper management, though there has been definite progress in the last 6 months
    - Career pathing could be improved
    - Team onboarding could be improved

"Open space = productivity killer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office with amenities to match the startup world.

Cons

Open space = productivity killer

Advice to Management

More private space for employees

3. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Index Exchange (Less than a year)

Pros

- free food
    - great place to learn
    - my team was helpful (your mileage may vary) overall it was good
    - free merch and hackathon
    - using new tech

Cons

- never ate the free food cuz of dietary restrictions (this one is on me)
    - upper management was not too interested or involved (meeting with them twice a month)

4. "Have Never Loved a Company More"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Describing how great working at Index Exchange is has always been challenging for me because unless you work there, you truly do not understand how special it is. What makes it special? The people.

Index tends to hire similar personalities that represent a culture of generosity and humbleness and those people come together to create an extremely unique working environment where people work extra hard because they sincerely believe in what they as individual contributors and what the company as a whole is doing. This passion for collaboration, change and kindness starts from the top, with our CEO Andrew as the driving force.

Imagine working at a company that employs incredibly talented people and those incredibly talented people all utilize their individual strengths to come together to foster a positive working environment while producing the best results that will help move an industry forward. That's Index Exchange.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about Index Exchange.

Advice to Management

Thank you for genuinely caring about your employees.

5. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Many learning opportunities
    -Managers wear multiple hats : Your friend, mentor/guide and overall great leaders.
    -Great and easy going people to work with
    -Management is organized and very focused
    -SVP of Product & Engineering are extremely smart, humble and fun to work with.
    -Great environment
    -Free parking
    -Fridge loaded with drinks, snacks on demand, free lunches and tons of parties
    -Off-sites/ Parties have loads of swag give aways and great team building outings such as sailing.
    -PS4, Nintendo, Ping Pong table and the list goes on

Cons

-the *FREE*Coffee is terrible (Used to be good-ish till they replaced the machine from 84)

Advice to Management

-Keep up the great overall work but please for the love of GOD do something about the terrible coffee......

6. "Dev"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Great culture, nice people, interesting projects.

Cons

I don't think there is one.

"Run Away"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Paycheck. Not that it's good but have to pay rent.

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for. Managers don't know what they are doing. Zero communication to middle/top management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team. And clean house of all the old time managers.

10 Jul 2018 – VP, People

Thanks for taking the time to share some feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience working at IX and we'll look at this and see how we can do better.

Feedback channels... More

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

In a very interesting industry that is rapidly growing with a great need for A* players. Which leads to fast advancement.

Lots of opportunity for growth

Great people to work with day to day

Very relaxed environment, but everyone works hard

If you like solving complex problems, and looking into issues with no clear solution, definitely a place to consider working for.

Flex hours, great benefits, casual dress code,.

Cons

Advancement routes are not always clear, but in a growing industry, its easy to carve out your own path, so this may not necessarily be a con .

Company experiencing rapid growth, which leave teams and management constantly optimizing how everyone works together and the makeup of teams which can cause frustration, and leave some people a little clueless as to where they fit into everything.

No real cons that would prevent anyone from wanting to work here though.

Advice to Management

I think they got it figured out, no need for advice.

"Huge strides in making engineering culture better, but still a long way to go for senior management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work perks, benefits, work life balance. Definitely a place where you can make a name for yourself, and grow.

- A lot of cool technical problems of scale that aren't found anywhere else, with the tools and resources to experiment and do so.

- Has also improved a lot in terms of engineering management. A lot of senior leadership has entered, injecting fresh ideas and modern practices. It's a lot better than it was a year ago.

- Competitive salary.

Cons

- Lack of senior technical expertise. They're trying their best to address it, but hiring senior engineers are deterred by the lack of technical knowledge from the internal recruiters, and boring task of maintenance as opposed to building.

- A lack of emotional intelligence from the old guard management. New management is great, but many of the old managers don't admit when they're wrong or don't know something when they should, which leads to a lot of office politics and gossip, and poisons company culture. No channel of feedback is provided for engineers to these managers, nor is it taken seriously.

Advice to Management

Put your senior managers and TPOs in a communications course to hopefully enlighten them about emotional awareness. Provide feedback channels for engineers to talk about their managers/TPOs.

10 May 2018 – Director, Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We’re very happy that you recognize the significant effort we’re undertaking to redefine our engineering culture, and that overall you feel... More

10. "Striving for being better everyday"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivated workplace, strong teams, good food and team building events.

Management was bringing in new people in leadership roles, did not work much with them so not sure how that is working out but it felt like impactful changes at that time.

People are generally friendly and helpful. They motivate/challenge you and that helps you to perform better every sprint.

Technically you would learn a lot if you are early in your career.

Hackathons are meant to allow software engineers to be creative and innovative. The Hackathon is fiercely competitive, but it’s done in such a manner that it’s has a festive feel to the event.

Overall a nice place to enjoy your work.

Cons

Lack of leadership but a lot of commanders.

Focus on quality less than it should be, sometimes strict deadlines are to be blamed and some times consistently evolving requirements.

There was no understanding of agile development but the teams were trying to come up with their own home grown processes that at times mimicked agile development.

Advice to Management

Let engineering teams be more self organized. Ask them for feedback on how to improve quality of the product.

7 May 2018 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for this review, and thanks for spending a spell of your career with us! The learning journey is ongoing at IX as we try to do a lot of ambitious things at the same time. I'm very glad... More