Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.2
Index Exchange President & CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone works hard but has a great work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "Index Exchange is somewhere that you can bring your whole self to work" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "A few growing pains but all being addressed by management" (in 13 reviews)

• "Young inexperienced managers and lack of senior managers and developers, work life balance is a joke, the culture is to work long hours" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Dev"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Great culture, nice people, interesting projects.

Cons

I don't think there is one.

2. "Run Away"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Paycheck. Not that it's good but have to pay rent.

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for. Managers don't know what they are doing. Zero communication to middle/top management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team. And clean house of all the old time managers.

10 Jul 2018 – VP, People

Thanks for taking the time to share some feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience working at IX and we'll look at this and see how we can do better.

Feedback channels... More

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

In a very interesting industry that is rapidly growing with a great need for A* players. Which leads to fast advancement.

Lots of opportunity for growth

Great people to work with day to day

Very relaxed environment, but everyone works hard

If you like solving complex problems, and looking into issues with no clear solution, definitely a place to consider working for.

Flex hours, great benefits, casual dress code,.

Cons

Advancement routes are not always clear, but in a growing industry, its easy to carve out your own path, so this may not necessarily be a con .

Company experiencing rapid growth, which leave teams and management constantly optimizing how everyone works together and the makeup of teams which can cause frustration, and leave some people a little clueless as to where they fit into everything.

No real cons that would prevent anyone from wanting to work here though.

Advice to Management

I think they got it figured out, no need for advice.

"Huge strides in making engineering culture better, but still a long way to go for senior management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work perks, benefits, work life balance. Definitely a place where you can make a name for yourself, and grow.

- A lot of cool technical problems of scale that aren't found anywhere else, with the tools and resources to experiment and do so.

- Has also improved a lot in terms of engineering management. A lot of senior leadership has entered, injecting fresh ideas and modern practices. It's a lot better than it was a year ago.

- Competitive salary.

Cons

- Lack of senior technical expertise. They're trying their best to address it, but hiring senior engineers are deterred by the lack of technical knowledge from the internal recruiters, and boring task of maintenance as opposed to building.

- A lack of emotional intelligence from the old guard management. New management is great, but many of the old managers don't admit when they're wrong or don't know something when they should, which leads to a lot of office politics and gossip, and poisons company culture. No channel of feedback is provided for engineers to these managers, nor is it taken seriously.

Advice to Management

Put your senior managers and TPOs in a communications course to hopefully enlighten them about emotional awareness. Provide feedback channels for engineers to talk about their managers/TPOs.

10 May 2018 – Director, Engineering

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We’re very happy that you recognize the significant effort we’re undertaking to redefine our engineering culture, and that overall you feel... More

5. "Striving for being better everyday"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivated workplace, strong teams, good food and team building events.

Management was bringing in new people in leadership roles, did not work much with them so not sure how that is working out but it felt like impactful changes at that time.

People are generally friendly and helpful. They motivate/challenge you and that helps you to perform better every sprint.

Technically you would learn a lot if you are early in your career.

Hackathons are meant to allow software engineers to be creative and innovative. The Hackathon is fiercely competitive, but it’s done in such a manner that it’s has a festive feel to the event.

Overall a nice place to enjoy your work.

Cons

Lack of leadership but a lot of commanders.

Focus on quality less than it should be, sometimes strict deadlines are to be blamed and some times consistently evolving requirements.

There was no understanding of agile development but the teams were trying to come up with their own home grown processes that at times mimicked agile development.

Advice to Management

Let engineering teams be more self organized. Ask them for feedback on how to improve quality of the product.

7 May 2018 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for this review, and thanks for spending a spell of your career with us! The learning journey is ongoing at IX as we try to do a lot of ambitious things at the same time. I'm very glad... More

6. "It's clearly, simply, the best work environment I've ever been in."

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Vision, Culture, Future path

Cons

Growing pains of any other successful company.

13 Apr 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Wow, thank you for this lovely review. We love to hear that our being very intentional about creating the right environment for employee success is having the desired effect! Please do flag if there... More

"A great company to work for if you want to stagnate your technical skills and abilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Index Exchange full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and great perks, such as catered lunches, free snacks, and gym memberships. Frequent team outings and company-wide events. Management and process improved during my time with the company but could be improved upon still. A lot of nice people in most departments.

Cons

Note: This is for the Toronto location of the engineering department.

Nepotism, company politics, and poor cross-departmental communication are very rampant in this company. If you want to grow your career and not worry about being caught in company politics, go elsewhere. The Toronto tech scene is thriving, and IX does not play a role in that.

Management and leadership team lack in management skills, industry knowledge, and communication skills. They have hired some great new managers to help the team scale, but unfortunately, the majority of senior and tenured employees lack experience and are behind in what is happening in the tech scene, have poor communication skills and low emotional intelligence.

The most disappointing part is that the culture of unwillingness to learn and communicate has trickled down and is perpetuated by employees who have been working with the company for a while. As a result, the tech stack is extremely outdated and the company lacks innovation. People want to stick to what they know because they are afraid to try anything that would hurt their egos. People would rather be right than actually do what is best for the product.

The process has improved in my time working at Index, but still has a long way to go. There was very little thought and planning into the products we were building. It doesn't help that there is very little communication between the business and engineering teams. It's very common for projects to pivot mid-way or not even ship at all, because of poor teamwork, planning, and resourcing.

Additionally, the company culture is awful. The HR and people team don't do anything to help their employees and are willfully ignorant of how it truly is them. The HR and people team are just like IX's social media presence - all style, no substance. How the company is portrayed in social media is extremely deceptive and only represents a portion of the company.

Index does not encourage diversity of thought, backgrounds, or opinions either. Almost everyone comes from the same cookie cutter background. Voicing your opinion that is against the status quo is extremely frowned upon. The company was heading in a right direction in actually listening to their employees' concerns; however, when employees actually started voicing their opinion, they changed how people can communicate their concerns in a way that actually discouraged them to do so.

Index is definitely experiencing growing pains and that's understandable -- however, whenever Index takes a step forward in improving as a company, they'll take another two steps back.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Improve how you're treating your employees, so they actually feel like they're contributing to your company instead of just a cog in a machine. You've started gathering feedback from employees, so do something about it instead of getting defensive and skirting around.

30 Apr 2018 – SVP, Engineering

Thank you for your review. I regret that you didn't have a more positive experience at IX. My colleagues in Management and HR are committed to ensuring every employee has a positive experience with... More

8. "Growing with the right leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Rapidly growing company
    - Strong leadership guidance with acute foresight into industry trends
    - Collaborative and nurturing environment
    - Opportunities to succeed and expand responsibilities

Cons

- Rapid learning curve
    - Need self-directed attitude to succeed

Advice to Management

- Hire more experienced managers with outside knowledge

6 Apr 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you so much for this review - and for joining us on our journey for several years! We feel very fortunate to have gathered such an exceptional team. We're excited to do more this year to expand... More

9. "Growth in true value"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Transparent company wide goals are shared from the top to bottom with clear and insightful feedback on performance.
    - Driven employees that want to grow with the company and put in extra hours to provide quality service to our publishers.
    - Industry leading technology that challenges duopoly giants in the exchange.

Cons

- Sell side and eng. silos still exist but there are more efforts to keep both sides more in the know about product progress.

Advice to Management

Continue to put our company's goals and values first!

6 Apr 2018 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you very much for this review. Our team is doing remarkable things - and we love hearing that we're doing well on the transparency front. Intentions there are always good but execution isn't... More

10. "Supportive Work Environment"

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

- Very supportive of working parents
    - Innovative and at the forefront of industry technology
    - Actively working to make things more organised and function better for employees and customers

Cons

- Typical growing pains
    - Would benefit for more hires from the industry to get diverse opinions when it comes to decision making

Advice to Management

- Would like to see a true C-Suite in senior leadership.