Intrepid Travel Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2021

4.3
Intrepid Travel CEO James Thornton
James Thornton
Pros
  • "Great work environment with a very flat hierarchy(in 13 reviews)

• "Free trip every year, flexible hours(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management have high expectations but not willing to provide resources to make them achievable(in 6 reviews)

• "There is zero work/life balance; without being explicitly told as much, you are expected to work extra hours every day(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 3.0
      Current Employee

Not what it used to be in the India office

2 Jan 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Somewhat open work environment Casual dressing 5 Day weekend Help in getting travel deals

Cons

No growth Very arbitrary salary or hikes Job gets boring after a while. Very repetitive

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Fun place to be and work with.

1 Sep 2011 -  in New Delhi
      Business Outlook

Pros

Cool environment. Friendly environment and policies. Travel benefits.

Cons

Bit unorganised and less local knowledge.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good

10 Jun 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good companies forever. I like their system

Cons

Overall so goo but some need to changes

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Brilliant brand, good people, purpose driven

13 Apr 2021 - Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

What originally drew me to the Intrepid brand is the positive global impact it has on so many people, both staff and travellers. Its now both the brand and the collective of interesting, intelligent and driven people, that make me love working here. One thing that is really important to me, is the egalitarian culture Intrepid has, which means I feel I can speak to anyone no matter their seniority and enables me to have a voice and opinion. The journey ahead is looking really positive. I've been here now over 3 yrs and would highly recommend.

Cons

Working in the travel industry during a global pandemic has been challenging, however I wouldn't have wanted to go through it with any other company.

1 person found this review helpful

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks for taking the time to share such a thoughtful review. We really appreciate it! Creating an inclusive working environment where team members feel empowered is important to us and we will continue to build on that in the future. The pandemic has been devastating, but we're now looking ahead to rebuilding as an even better, more sustainable business for the future. Thanks for being part of our team.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

B-Corp certified tour operator with purpose beyond profit

30 Apr 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very proud to work for Intrepid, the first tour operator in the world with B-Corporation certification and verified science-based target. Within the many years in my role it was always good to see how well any type of crisis had been managed by great leadership. Purpose beyond profit, antiracism, diversity/inclusion really count. Super transparent communication before and within the pandemic. Global Inter Company network makes you feel as valued team member no matter in which part of the world you are based. Before COVID-19 plenty of opportunities worldwide for personal development and growth as long as you were flexible and embraced dynamics. A high level of employee satisfaction within EMEA driven by management changes and unparalleled team spirit.

Cons

Apart from issues with multiple IT systems and some very common challenges in a global surrounding there is not a lot of negative stuff. Some decisions might not suit everyone, but you can always address concerns to the Management.

Intrepid Travel Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review of your experience. It is great to hear that our culture and values continue to resonate with you after an incredible decade with the business. Thank you for everything you continue to do and contributing to our success over the years. Technology is a focus for us going forward, so hopefully some of the IT issues will be ironed out in the future. Please do raise specific tech issues with your manager so we can continually improve.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Transparent and Positive Company

14 Apr 2021 - Customer Care Consultant in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are clear with their employees with how the company is positioned and set clear goals You are recognised for the hard work you put in Flexible working conditions and also times as well Management team have a genuine level of care for their team Is a company that meets your environmental and personal values

Cons

Not too much really. It was a difficult year 2020 for the travel industry, with only working job keep and having to live on that wage. Wages could have more room for improvement, but is difficult right now during the pandemic with the company receiving minimal income

Intrepid Travel Response

Thank you for sharing your insights into working at Intrepid. We're pleased you feel supported and aligned with the company goals. We recognise our people experienced the greatest impact during 2020 and we appreciate the sacrifices you've made. We're now looking ahead to a brighter future.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The people make this place what it is!

1 Dec 2020 - Sales Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Intrepid Travel is a trailblazer in the industry, their intention of purpose beyond profit shines through in all that they’re doing. There is a collection of young, motivated people in the London office which really made this a great environment to work and grow in professionally. There isn’t any big egos on the regional level, everyone is heard and can bring their ideas forward which makes everyone feel a part of the bigger picture and everyone is pulling together on one string to really make travel a force of good in the world. As the only B Corp in the industry (what fairtrade is for coffee) they are leading the charge and have now become a carbon negative business. The London office is in a very stylish converted warehouse with various perks such as Friday drinks and social gatherings that contribute to a familiar atmosphere.

Cons

With the headquarters being based in Melbourne there sometimes is a lack of understanding for the amazing potential the EMEA region has.

Intrepid Travel Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and share your insights. We're pleased that you enjoyed your time in our London office and that you felt motivated, engaged and included. This is very important to us. As a global company with three regional sales regions, we are aware of the need to maintain a global outlook, while empowering the regional teams in their respective markets. This is something we believe our recently (Q3 2020) updated global management structure, which includes regional MDs and operations GMs will help to achieve.

8. 5.0

Great culture

1 May 2021 - Associate Tech Lead in Colombo
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people and great culture

Cons

Can improve on salaries and other benifits

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks for sharing your experience in Colombo and it is good to hear you enjoy being part of the team and benefit from our culture. We do aim to pay a competitive salary but accept it could be lower than some other industries. We hope some of the recently reintroduced benefits in May 2021, which were paused in 2020, will help to boost our team members' overall packages.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing company

21 May 2021 - Sales Representative in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate devoted staff with a real team atmosphere

Cons

Pay is very low for the skill level

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Intrepid became my personal mantra

26 Nov 2020 - Operations Manager in Lima, Lima Region, Lima Region
      Business Outlook

Pros

Intrepid really took a chance on me, I was 22, basically no major experience in travel industry and only a tourism degreed under my arm. They really helped me to build my skills and developed a career over the past 11 years with them I have scale in different roles and really felt that my contribution to the company has been important. But on top of that I was able to learn so much about sustainability and socially responsible habits to make of tourism a real positive impact for so many people. from basics like recycling in my own house to question my bias about gender equality, Intrepid has really made a positive impact in who I am as a person. When your leaders are committed for a better tourism it’s easy to follow the example. So my mantra became “ I don’t want to be the best travel agent of the world but for the world.”

Cons

there are 15 hours time difference with the headquarters so some of my meetings involve waking them up early or staying late, but not really a big issue.

Intrepid Travel Response

Thank you for your incredible words and for sharing your thoughtful approach. As a values-based company, we do believe we can all have a positive impact. You have worked with us for more than a decade and that is a fantastic achievement, we hope we can continue to offer you opportunities to grow and flourish. Being an Australian headquartered company with offices all over the world can make communications a little tricky, with the time zones. Our flexible work policy in 2020 and 2021 has helped, as our people are able to work from home and manage different responsibilities around calls and meetings.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 99 Reviews