Learning.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 27 February 2019

3.9
Keith Oelrich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"The world's nicest group of people. Lacking Growth Opportunity/ Skill Development within Sales"

I have been working at Learning.com full-time

Pros

Learning.com is a family. HR truly cares about you as a person. A group of very nice people who work hard, play hard and attempt to make a difference.

Cons

Learning.com has no desire to train employees to growth within the company and to contribute to actually closing business for the company.

There is no growth opportunity within Learning.com and SDRs are asked to just somehow "book meetings" with the largest districts in the country while playing keep away with any relevant information about the product/Pricing/demoing the product.

The work environment is friendly, but very silo'd across departments.

Advice to Management

Coaching is a must! Bring CSM/SDR/AE Pairs to Tradeshows and Regional Events to network and build relationships with prospects and the educational community. Encourage Product Knowledge and Pricing discussions within the Sales Development Rep. role.

Develop a review process for managers that is of equal standards to that of which you hold you employees to. There is no communication between SDRs and Executive Management.

Shy away from purchasing tools that require 90+ days of training to implement during the busiest time of year for creating new business.

2. "Wake up excited to go to the office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Learning.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning.com is a really tight knit community that makes you feel valued. HR puts together fun activities and reasons to celebrate together. They have opportunities for employees to submit positive feedback about others, and they share the positive feedback with the team. As I said, this all makes it feel like they really value you.

It is a great place to work and makes me excited to go to work each morning.

Cons

Parking is expensive if you have to drive.

3. "Positive Environment, Unique Product, & Engaged Employees"

I have been working at Learning.com full-time

Pros

Learning.com is a unique work experience with so many talented, kind, and interesting people to work with. The company focuses on creating a positive work environment, where work/life balance is prioritized. The most comprehensive and unique digital literacy product out there, that truly helps students succeed in school and beyond. Fun additional benefits like bicycle or max commuting benefits, gym reimbursements, free onsite boot camp, snacks, Stumptown coffee, etc.

Voted top workplace 3 years in a row and it is true -Lcom is awesome!

Cons

Usual for downtown, cost of parking. But, there are neighborhood spots a few blocks away - if you do not mind moving your car every few hours.

4. "Supportive Atmosphere, but no place to progress"

Former Employee - Seasonal Associate in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Associate in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Learning.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Open space office with access to kitchen with well stocked snacks, water, and coffee.

* Very supportive management staff, with a strong on-boarding training program for customer sucess employees

* Teams celebrate together with t-shirts and sponsored meals

Cons

* Early hours (5 am) due to supporting customers in other time zones.
    *High stress levels for tier one support
    *Limited time away from call cue due to small staffing

5. "An opportunity that spoils all opportunities"

I have been working at Learning.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment
    -The People
    -The Culture
    - The Office itself and its spoils they offer
    - Great Benefits
    - Management feels equal for all, everyone matters

Cons

Product itself feels old, slow to innovate.

Advice to Management

Update the Product

6. "The Learning.com Family"

I worked at Learning.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting with the head of HR and felt throughout the executive team, Learning.com truly feels like family. From crazy decorations on Christmas and Halloween, to the pet and kids walls, family is held in high regard. Make no mistake though, this is a high-functioning, hard-working team of people that care deeply about their customers' experience and especially, helping their customers serve millions of public school students in the United States. If I am going to spend the majority of my waking hours away from my family, then I want it to be with the Learning.com family.

Cons

The business is highly seasonal, therefore results of initiatives, changes and strategic plans take many months to arrive which can delay progress.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster creativity, innovation and the family culture. Make sure all executives are visible on a regular basis, the employees really appreciate it, because they like you.

7. "The Magic of Learning.com"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Learning.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the words of renowned 21st century workplace scholar, Dominic Toretto: We don’t have co-workers, we’ve got family. The folks who work together, support each other, problem solve, and laugh every day. The people who will wake up at 5am or stay until midnight (while sick!) to make sure customers have the best experience with the products. It’s the feeling you’re all working towards the same thing, together. Working at Learning.com is like a lifelong membership to a special club for the most awesome people.

So, what’s that “Lcom-y” quality? What makes Learning.com a great place to work? As the Workplace Employee Survey says every year, “culture” is the special sauce of Learning.com. It’s the epic costume parties and chili cooked in cubical crockpots. It’s decorating competitions that lead to immersive office makeover “experiences” featuring jumping monkeys and live donkeys. It’s gaudy trophies for last place adorned with dollar store parrots and displayed on desks with pride. It’s the kind, compassionate, helpful people who surround you every day.

Underneath all that, it’s the yeses. The people of Learning.com are willing to tackle any project, answer any question, help in whatever way they can. That is the magic of Learning.com. Yes sends a message of hope, of plenty. Yes paves the way for more yeses. In the 15+ years of that company, there have been boom times and bust times, and through the hard work and dedication, it survives and the people thrive. Yes is a smile and a huge “We’ve only just met and we’re already best friends” welcome. That’s the magic of Yes. Can I interrupt? YES. Can you teach me about Pivot Tables? YES. Can we donate hundreds of dollars to the Oregon Humane Society for the possibility that they might bring kittens and puppies to the office? YES. Should we fill our boss’s office with balloons for his 40th birthday? YES. Can we teach tech skills to digital natives? YES. Can we make a boring subject like keyboarding engaging and maybe even fun? YES.

That’s the magic of Learning.com.

Cons

The usual. Every company has a few bad (or lazy or mean) apples, a few processes that desperately need to be revised, a few overworked managers. The salaries are low to average, and people complain about the health insurance, but I never used it, so I can't comment from experience. (I know this is supposed to be the con section, but honestly what you don't make in salary, you make up in amazing coworkers, great HR support, and true work-life balance.)

Advice to Management

Fire the people that need to be fired.

"Great culture, with the pieces finally starting to come together"

I have been working at Learning.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is amazing, and I've met some of my favorite people ever while working here.
    My coworkers are both exceptionally talented and devoted.
    People are genuinely trying to make things better

Cons

Lack of vertical communication/transparency (it's getting much better, but there's still work to be done).
    The physical environment is awkward and distracting; many of us can only get work done when _not_ in the office.

Advice to Management

Please try to communicate in a more timely and more transparent manner. Employees want to know what they're up against, good or bad, and the level of secrecy about some fairly big "elephants in the room" is driving good employees to leave.

"Fantastic company!"

I have been working at Learning.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning.com's vision and culture are fantastic! It's one of the rare opportunities to work for a company that not only makes a difference but fosters innovative thinking, work/life balance and high quality company culture.

Cons

It's a smaller company so we work hard and often wear many hats. This means periods of time where workloads may be considerably higher than other times.

10. "Collaborative team in a fun work environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Learning.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture in the Portland office! Employees are willing to help across departments. Good pay and benefits for the industry. Flexible schedule and good work-life balance.

Cons

Though the company is 17 years old, it's still trying to "find itself" in many ways. There have been many organizational and management changes in the past year, which has caused unrest among some employees.

Advice to Management

Make data-informed choices and then stay the course! Change is hard for some people.