Learning.com Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Learning.com Reviews

Updated 23 Jan 2020

4.4
Learning.com CEO Keith Oelrich  (no image)
Keith Oelrich
  1. "9 Year anniversary - Highly recommend!"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The culture is like none other I have ever experienced in my 30+ years in the workforce. They understand and support each employee's work/life balance with allowances given when necessary.

Cons

The temperature in the office can waver greatly. They contact the building management, but these issues persist. Have a warm jacket handy.

Learning.com2020-01-23
  2. "A company culture second to none"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really cares about its employees. There is healthy work/life balance. They encourage opportunities for personal growth. Lots of company events, fundraisers, volunteer, etc.

Cons

There has been a lot of structure change lately and that's always a bit uncomfortable.

Learning.com2020-01-21
  3. "Great people in an older tech company"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The day-to-day environment here is really lovely. The people who work here are unfailingly kind and fun to be around, and it's clear that everyone wants what's best for their coworkers and the company. People are very invested in Learning.com and there are plenty of long-term employees that have stuck around just because they like it here. There are competitive benefits and plenty of PTO as well as ample opportunity to work from home. Employees are always encouraged to take on professional development opportunities and these are always paid for by the company. They also have tuition reimbursement for employees who are working towards a degree in a related field. People who have illnesses, family troubles, etc, are always treated very well by HR and given plenty of flexibility to allow them to continue to work at Learning.com while dealing with issues in their home life. In my time here, I've always known that there was someone in the company who was genuinely invested in my career advancement and my well-being as an employee.

Cons

As an older company, Lcom has developed quite a bit of technical debt that can be frustrating to work with and cause a bottleneck in development. Addressing this old software is not a very exciting project to pitch to our board of investors, so it's rarely approved for a significant time investment on the part of the Development team. In the past, some of these attempts at improvement have been mishandled, which has just increased the technical debt instead of alleviating it. We also have some roles that are missing from the company that would be very helpful in improving communication between departments. There are very few people who have decision-making powers for our high-level product strategy, and thus these people are very overworked and product planning decisions are not always clear to the entire company (there is an ongoing effort to improve this). We attempt to be an Agile company, and within the Development department this is mostly true, but there is still a fair amount of waterfall-style project management that happens before work reaches Development, which can be frustrating as well. On a different note, the company is almost entirely white.

Learning.com2020-01-16
  4. "Wonderful work environment"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work culture, people, awesome Human Resources and product.

Cons

Current position is not very flexible but many positions here are.

Learning.com2019-09-04

"It was fun while it lasted."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Learning.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, the fun-loving culture, the family atmosphere.

Cons

The workloads are not distributed, the management doesn't always manage, they are losing business and have not made good choices in the past few years.

Learning.com2019-09-05
  6. "Great Mission Meets Creative Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The first thing that attracted me to Learning.com was their mission. With the primary objectives being to improve the lives of teachers and to equip K-8 students with technology skills, I was eager for the opportunity to contribute. At my first interview, I was struck by the office’s fun energy and orientation. Over time, I’ve experienced firsthand Learning.com’s creative, playful, collaborative, and supportive culture. Once I joined the development department and began to discover my place on the team, it was rewarding to see that my work made a difference. Every developer I worked with was quick to share their wealth of information and experience and I’ve learned a lot working with each of them. The department uses the Agile methodology and has uses SCRUM and Kanban for project management.

Cons

In my department, I have a sense that necessary change is not always acted on in a timely fashion. Even when change does take place, often the internal conversation focuses on how long it's taken for this change to occur. I think this produces a negative atmosphere for the team. Instead of feeling like we're keeping up with competitors, making decisions intentionally and acting on them in a timely fashion, there's an ongoing sense of being behind the curve and frantically trying to catch up. This can be ignored for a time, but it gradually wears away at morale.

Learning.com2019-07-10
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve worked at LCOM for about 1 1/2 years and have really enjoyed my time so far. The company offers a product that helps shape today’s young students. Recently there has been talk about company vision and things seem to be on the rise. 2018 was a rough year for the business, but leadership has been open and are making necessary product changes. (There is still more to do with EasyTexch, but it’s a start) Benefits are very good for a smaller company, but for a tech company they are just okay. Work life balance is truly amazing and is heavily encouraged.

Cons

Continue to invest in modernizing the product.

Learning.com2019-06-30
  8. "The best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

With 10+ years in the tech industry, I can truly say that Learning.com is the best place I've ever worked. It's a small company, so it has a bit of a startup feel to it where your contributions make a big impact and your ideas are taken seriously. At the same time, it's been around since 1999 which is pretty ancient for a tech company. I think it's a good blend of the excitement and energy of a startup with the stability of an older company that's weathered some ups and downs and managed to stay in business. Pay and benefits are generally inline with other tech companies, although the 401k match could be a little better. There is indoor bike parking, showers for bike commuters, and reimbursement for bike commuting related expenses. My favorite relatively new benefit is 40 hours per year of Volunteer Time Off. The company has also started to organize volunteer opportunities, so far at Habitat for Humanity and the Portland Food Bank. The work/life balance is also amazing and the best I've ever experienced at any company. Flexible schedules, remote work, and ample PTO including the entire week between Christmas and New Year's off. It's much more about what you produce than how many hours you are in your chair. Health insurance options are good and relatively affordable. The company has done a great job of shielding employees from rising insurance costs. There is also a comprehensive "Employee Climate Survey" every year and management takes the results seriously and acts on them. I've never seen anything like it anywhere I've worked. It really shows how much management cares about what employees think and shows their willingness to act to improve things. The best part of working here is the people and the mission. The team is incredibly intelligent, creative, and passionate about the work we do every day to bring digital skills education to students nationwide. There is a culture of continuous improvement that encourages trying new things, but also learning from mistakes and failures. HR takes nurturing the culture seriously and truly helps us embody the "work hard, play hard" ethos. However, the culture isn't totally driven by HR either. Employees take an active role in driving the culture including through employee led committees like the Diversity and Inclusion committee and the Employee Relations committee that organizes all kinds of fun events from holiday potlucks, to the best Halloween party you've ever seen. I am so proud of the great strides Learning.com has made in the area of Diversity and Inclusion, something that is sorely needed in the tech industry, especially in Portland. With the formation of the D&I committee a couple of years ago, Learning.com has done many things such as revamping hiring and job posting practices, hosting D&I related education opportunities for employees, and signing on to the Tech Town Portland pledge that have made a real difference in making it a more diverse and inclusive place. Like any company it's age, Learning.com has it's fair share of technical debt. The main product is pushing 10 years old and it shows in a lot of places. That said, great strides have been made in the last few years to start to address this. Being a small company allows us to be nimble and try new things without the bureaucratic bottlenecks and resistance to change that plague so many larger companies. As an engineer here, you can expect to spend some time working with old tech and fixing bugs, but you can also expect to spend a lot of time working with newer and even cutting edge tech like Docker, microservices, Angular, etc. Time and budget are there for you to get any training you need. The best part is that your ideas for improvement will be listened to, taken seriously, and actually implemented. Many companies pay lip service to the "open door policy", but here it actually exists. Finally, Learning.com is coming off of a few tough years. Turnover has been higher than normal in the last year and has taken a toll on morale. That said, I truly believe that the executive team and management have made a concerted effort and have done a good job of analyzing where things went wrong and are taking the right steps to right the ship. Some of the turnover was a natural and healthy part of "cleaning house" so we could move on and make the changes we need to in order to remain viable and relevant to our customers.

Cons

401k match could be better. We have tended to focus on the "shiny, new thing" at the expense of iterating on our existing products and making them better. The office space could be better. The HVAC system has constant issues, space could probably be utilized more efficiently, and the lighting could be improved, it's dark and dingy in a lot of areas.

Learning.com2019-06-15

"Learning.com Commitment to Excellence in Digital Literacy"

Current Employee - Director of Education in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Learning.com commits to continuous learning, and provides opportunities and time to keep learning and adapting -Learning.com requires a commitment to high quality work, and balances it with flexibility to promote a healthy home-life balance -Learning.com promotes a highly collaborative, positive work environment that fosters high quality solutions and products -Learning.com staff is highly educated, eager to learn and helpful to others, internally and externally -Learning.com is committed to helping students excel in a digital world and providing practical tools to help educators

Cons

-Because it is a mid-sized company, opportunities for new assignments / roles can be limited

Learning.com2019-06-10
  10. "Small Company Feel, Large Company Reach"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a small tech company in Portland, there's a lively start-up feel, with many experimental situations and projects. Management trusts their teams to problem solve, manage time, and produce. The culture is a priority, and its stakeholders strive to be inclusive and leverage employee strengths. Growth opportunities are increasing, though given the companies size, are not always predictable. The product's value proposition is a wonderful reason to come to work everyday, and reaches several thousands of students to deliver 21st Century skills, ensure instructional equity, and prepare them for their future. Competitive benefits and great perks are offered including flexible schedules, telecommute/work from home options, opportunities for professional development, onsite bootcamp, yoga, coffee and fruit, shared holiday meals and festivities, employee-driven committees, community involvement, and more.

Cons

Though many improvements are happening, it can often feel unclear if the product is headed in the best direction that will prolong commitment from our customers and keep users engaged. As an organization, work is not always allocated in the most intuitive way. Executives do rely heavily on management feedback, versus learning from individual contributors most directly involved in the work. This makes the manager to direct report relationship feel one-sided at times. However, lots of opportunities are given to provide feedback, and results often follow.

Learning.com2019-04-23

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 43 reviews