Nanigans Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Nanigans Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2019

3.6
Nanigans CEO Ric Calvillo (no image)
Ric Calvillo
Pros
  • "Free lunch every day, as well as plenty of snacks(in 15 reviews)

• "Nanigans has developed great software, a testament to hiring smart people and staying very committed to their core customer base's needs(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work / Life balance nonexistent(in 5 reviews)

• "There is little to no product management and the few instances of PM are not working according to any of the PM principles and procedures(in 4 reviews)

1. "account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Singapore

I have been working at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

very good working environment, work with high quality clients.

Cons

Ad tech FMP, limit growing

Nanigans2019-06-03
  2. "Great company with smart people"

Current Employee - Director, Greater China in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Nanigans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a great company with smart people, most of members have great background - Apple, Amazon..etc. Love to work with smart guys !

Cons

Boston headquarter sometimes response very low...need to wait the management time to approve many thing.

Advice to Management

Great Job !

Nanigans2019-03-04

"Great startup for technology-aficionados / aficionadas and hands-on doers"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Into: I am not a big fan of reviews on glassdoor. Just like many other companies, the picture rendered here is mostly biased by either disgruntled former staff, by individuals who try to compensate for lack of skills with overly positive reviews (those are mostly the reviews easy to connect to an individual). I took some time to let emotions fade and am now ready to produce a review which I think includes some... aspects that are missing amongst the other reviews. For the average job seeker I think it is important to know these aspects to establish cultural fit. Nanigans is a great (and very typical) startup company. ‘Startup’ is mostly defined by few individuals having disproportionate amounts of capital invested into some idea which is usually not yet profitable. Hence, the few stakeholders will try to exercise their leverage and pull rank occasionally in order to achieve profitability/success rather sooner than later. Quite frankly, I’d do the same. Pros: Culture - Maybe the company with the most amazing culture I have seen so far. I still entertain a great relation with many current and former employees and could not say anything bad about the intra-company relation and how a startup culture is exercised. Nanigans provides lunch, snacks, fruits, sodas and more in some very nice office space in downtown Boston. The events Nanigans organizes are the ones you want to be invited to. Super-strong bias on Technology - Nanigans is trying to accomplish their goals, leveraging state-of-the-art technology. Many of the technologies used at Nanigans are a dream at other companies. Nanigans does not shy away from the risk introducing new technologies. Excellent existing product on Facebook Channel - Nanigans introduced a groundbreaking product years ago. The product is data-driven and provides insights into the business processes that any in-house marketing team dreams about. The product is still way ahead of the competition in those areas and hence, Nanigans still maintains significant clients with social paid. The list of companies using Nanigans Socal Paid product sounds like the who-is-who of companies I’d like to have in my address book.

Cons

Lack of investment into existing products - the aforementioned product for Social Paid fell behind Facebook’s aggressive roadmap. Just like ALL other companies competing in that space, Nanigans had to focus on some core areas and cover the bases they think are most relevant for their existing business. Marketing on Facebook becomes more and more a thing you do with … guess.... Yes, Facebook. Keeping existing... customers is hard, winning new revenue streams is even harder. Keep in mind, Nanigans is still maintaining significant amounts of Facebook business. This fact is to me an important indicator for Nanigans being able to kick-start new business and develop their new product successfully. Slow speed with new products - Nanigans has some great ideas (I am out for too long to write about it and also think it would be borderline unethical, but reach out to them and they will tell you) and are currently trying to win customers, convince the market. TMO this should go more aggressively and faster. Company Structure - The company is driven by the CEO. There is little to no product management and the few instances of PM are not working according to any of the PM principles and procedures. If you come in and help Nanigans to establish and adhere to such structure, you could be the winner. (Needless to say, I wasnt) Communication - the company is simply too small to be anything but super-transparent. But, unfortunately it is not. Communication was the weakest part and caused a lot of frustration with some disenfranchised employees.

Advice to Management

Establish a middle layer management that you trust. Put power into that branch and let them communicate ideas (Preferably their ideas, if that is not possible, let them present them just like they were their ideas) Have a look at Product Management and how you could empower that group - I know there are still some great individuals on payroll. Business Development - sometimes I wonder how Nanigans was so... successful with their offering on social paid - try to replicate that success. What was it? Did you focus on just one customer? Did you give it away for free? Did you develop faster? Do it again! Empower your team! Observe, Communicate, Act.

Nanigans2018-04-16

"Redefining Success within the Re-targeting Landscape"

Current Employee - Senior Ae in New York, NY

I have been working at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Technology focused company with a track record of building innovative & effective tech stack - Good culture with strong employee support structure in place - Work w/ A list customers, some of the top performance oriented brands in the world - Flexible policy on working remotely when needed

Cons

- Very narrow customer target list; the various factors that make up our ideal customer can be limiting at times - Facebook is our largest source of revenue while at the same time they are our biggest competitor; why we've diversified our platform to be fully cross-channel and full funnel

Advice to Management

Continue to offer additional shares in the company to incentivize loyal employees

Nanigans2018-01-12
  5. "Good stepping stone in a career"

Former Employee - CSM in London, England

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Thorough training Good bonus structure and competitive salary High bar for hiring

Cons

Lack of talent development and growth opportunity No HR Long roadmap for product development Vision uncertainty Poor comms between US and regional offices

Advice to Management

Invest in retaining talent

Nanigans2017-12-23
  6. "Smart, fun company whose customers are the best e-commerce players."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technology is the real deal- and there are not many companies for which this is true. Very smart, fun and collaborative people. Lots of spirited company events that we still talk about years later. Nanigans has done a great job proactively adapting as a strategic marketing partner of Facebook. Nanigans seeks to deliver true value through data for its customers- no obfuscation, no bs.

Cons

Focus on Facebook has been good for Nanigans, but it means they are dependent on one platform, that's very powerful. Nanigans may have done a subtle pivot in the last year, but i'm not sure about all the details.

Nanigans2017-12-12

"Unless you are a junior professional looking for a resume boost, stay far, far away"

I have been working at Nanigans

Pros

If you are a more junior professional looking for experience and knowledge of the industry, that opportunity exists at Nanigans. The hours are relatively relaxed and they have unlimited vacation and sick time. The new RTB product has the potential to be promising if handled correctly.

Cons

You are not working for a democracy at Nanigans. You are working for a dictatorship. The CEO's word is the only word that matters, regardless of your level of expertise in your field. Management is so aggressively micro-managing that employees have no free range to do what they think is right for the product and company, they simply play follow the leader all day. Engineers are held in higher regard to the rest... of the company, openly and unapologetically. Culture is an atrocity -- if you are a female you will feel more comfortable in a Southern frat house with no clothes on. If you are sober or recovering, DO NOT WORK HERE. The only culture that exists is drinking. Expectations, deadlines and the direction of the company and product turn on a dime with little to no logic. Changes are not communicated to staff. Promotion is based on closeness with the CEO and not on skill or talent, leading to a management team that, while great at their skill of choice, is completely clueless about management tactics.

Advice to Management

Hire an executive (or management) team who has some say in the direction of the company. Treat your employees equally, fill your salary gaps. Communicate with your staff and give them a reason to want to come to work every day.

Nanigans2018-01-10

"Abysmal engineering standards and bad engineering management"

I worked at Nanigans full-time

Pros

- product leadership was solid - data science / data engineering was solid - CEO is smart and approachable

Cons

- every engineering system I worked on was an absolute disaster with the exception of the data science and RTB code base - mediocre to awful technical architects were promoted to senior engineering leadership positions and institutionalized their bad choices / engineering culture, it's hard to reverse this - refusal to fire people who were net negative contributors on engineering team (contributed more technical... debt than any problems they solved) - constant re-inventing of the wheel to come up with uniquely terrible solutions to already solved problems; there is next to no use of common software best practices

Advice to Management

Find solid engineering leadership that has built innovative technology and has a proven track record fixing broken engineering systems - then let them rebuild the engineering team and infrastructure from scratch

Nanigans2017-12-13

"Exciting time with bright prospects, but obstacles do exist."

I have been working at Nanigans full-time

Pros

-A lot of autonomy in your work environment -Blue chip brands/some of the most exciting companies on the planet as clients -Many employees go on to work for Facebook, Snapchat, or in-house performance marketing teams -A product launch this year that is truly disruptive and is resonating with prospects -Free lunch everyday plus unlimited PTO and great office/location in DTX -The CEO cares an extreme amount... about the product and changing the status quo within the industry

Cons

-In the past, their perhaps has not been as solid of vision for the company as it exists now, but the north star has been established and we're trying to move their at lightspeed -Facebook has been marginalizing the FMP ecosystem and it's been tough on all FMPs (not just Nanigans) to keep up with the innovations at FB. However, this is why Nanigans is diversifying it's solutions and revenues to be truly... cross-channel. -Their has been turnover, but you'll see that at any start-up/tech company. Some hires ended up not working out or were great people, but just not right for a particular role. If you're considering a role here worry about who your supervisor will be and the renewed focus of the company.

Advice to Management

-Stay focused and only build things that are strategic.

Nanigans2017-08-10

"Good place to work, plenty of room for improvement"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

great and clever people, good social life.

Cons

The company seems to lack of steady direction, constant management changes. Lack of solid engineering leadership. Core code base is horrible.

Advice to Management

Management is well aware of their problems.

Nanigans2017-07-25