Nanigans Reviews

Updated 21 Aug 2020

3.7
Nanigans Co-founder & CEO Ric Calvillo (no image)
Ric Calvillo
Pros
  • "Free lunch every day, as well as plenty of snacks(in 15 reviews)

• "Nanigans has developed great software, a testament to hiring smart people and staying very committed to their core customer base's needs(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work / Life balance nonexistent(in 5 reviews)

• "There is little to no product management and the few instances of PM are not working according to any of the PM principles and procedures(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work at"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Singapore

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great colleagues. Small team, like a family

Cons

Feels disconnected from HQ in Boston

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Platform Account Manager in London, England

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy, great opportunity to learn

Cons

Not enough of company outings

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Singapore

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

The leadership( MD) Good type of work Learning Salary

Cons

Better training for new entry

4. "roller coaster ride of a lifelong startup"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Nanigans full-time

Pros

Had lots of great people with a wonderful sense of camaraderie

Cons

Lots of shifts in direction

5. "account manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Singapore

I have been working at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

very good working environment, work with high quality clients.

Cons

Ad tech FMP, limit growing

"Great company with smart people"

Current Employee - Director, Greater China in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Nanigans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a great company with smart people, most of members have great background - Apple, Amazon..etc. Love to work with smart guys !

Cons

Boston headquarter sometimes response very low...need to wait the management time to approve many thing.

Continue reading

"Great startup for technology-aficionados / aficionadas and hands-on doers"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Into: I am not a big fan of reviews on glassdoor. Just like many other companies, the picture rendered here is mostly biased by either disgruntled former staff, by individuals who try to compensate for lack of skills with overly positive reviews (those are mostly the reviews easy to connect to an individual). I took some time to let emotions fade and am now ready to produce a review which I think includes some aspects that are missing amongst the other reviews. For the average job seeker I think it is important to know these aspects to establish cultural fit. Nanigans is a great (and very typical) startup company. ‘Startup’ is mostly defined by few individuals having disproportionate amounts of capital invested into some idea which is usually not yet profitable. Hence, the few stakeholders will try to exercise their leverage and pull rank occasionally in order to achieve profitability/success rather sooner than later. Quite frankly, I’d do the same. Pros: Culture - Maybe the company with the most amazing culture I have seen so far. I still entertain a great relation with many current and former employees and could not say anything bad about the intra-company relation and how a startup culture is exercised. Nanigans provides lunch, snacks, fruits, sodas and more in some very nice office space in downtown Boston. The events Nanigans organizes are the ones you want to be invited to. Super-strong bias on Technology - Nanigans is trying to accomplish their goals, leveraging state-of-the-art technology. Many of the technologies used at Nanigans are a dream at other companies. Nanigans does not shy away from the risk introducing new technologies. Excellent existing product on Facebook Channel - Nanigans introduced a groundbreaking product years ago. The product is data-driven and provides insights into the business processes that any in-house marketing team dreams about. The product is still way ahead of the competition in those areas and hence, Nanigans still maintains significant clients with social paid. The list of companies using Nanigans Socal Paid product sounds like the who-is-who of companies I’d like to have in my address book.

Cons

Lack of investment into existing products - the aforementioned product for Social Paid fell behind Facebook’s aggressive roadmap. Just like ALL other companies competing in that space, Nanigans had to focus on some core areas and cover the bases they think are most relevant for their existing business. Marketing on Facebook becomes more and more a thing you do with … guess.... Yes, Facebook. Keeping existing customers is hard, winning new revenue streams is even harder. Keep in mind, Nanigans is still maintaining significant amounts of Facebook business. This fact is to me an important indicator for Nanigans being able to kick-start new business and develop their new product successfully. Slow speed with new products - Nanigans has some great ideas (I am out for too long to write about it and also think it would be borderline unethical, but reach out to them and they will tell you) and are currently trying to win customers, convince the market. TMO this should go more aggressively and faster. Company Structure - The company is driven by the CEO. There is little to no product management and the few instances of PM are not working according to any of the PM principles and procedures. If you come in and help Nanigans to establish and adhere to such structure, you could be the winner. (Needless to say, I wasnt) Communication - the company is simply too small to be anything but super-transparent. But, unfortunately it is not. Communication was the weakest part and caused a lot of frustration with some disenfranchised employees.

VP

Thank you for drafting such a detailed and thoughtful review. It’s great to see that you still maintain a relationship with so many current and former team members. We also greatly appreciate your kind words on our culture as this is an area we continue to put investment in. You’re right about the challenges we face around keeping up with the rapid pace of development at Facebook. This is one of the main reasons we’re diversifying our revenue streams and adding “stickiness” to the platform by rolling out cross-channel solutions to the challenges that today’s performance advertisers face. Your advice on moving faster is well noted. We strive to bring new innovations to market as quickly as possible while maintaining the quality our reputation was built on. Finally, communicating across the org is something that we’re continually striving to improve on. We’re now holding more robust/frequent all-hands & posting more internal updates via Slack/email; all in order to build a fostering an environment where every team member has the visibility they need to succeed.

"Redefining Success within the Re-targeting Landscape"

Current Employee - Senior Ae in New York, NY

I have been working at Nanigans full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Technology focused company with a track record of building innovative & effective tech stack - Good culture with strong employee support structure in place - Work w/ A list customers, some of the top performance oriented brands in the world - Flexible policy on working remotely when needed

Cons

- Very narrow customer target list; the various factors that make up our ideal customer can be limiting at times - Facebook is our largest source of revenue while at the same time they are our biggest competitor; why we've diversified our platform to be fully cross-channel and full funnel

VP

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are dedicated to maintaining our unique and collaborative work with some of the world’s largest consumer brands as we grow. Facebook has been a great partner and we recognize at times clients can see their native tools as a competing solution, but as you mentioned, that is one reason (among many) we’ve moved to be a cross-channel solution. Your feedback around equity is noted and our finance/HR teams are always looking to ensure our current approach is competitive within the market.

9. "Good stepping stone in a career"

Former Employee - CSM in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nanigans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Thorough training Good bonus structure and competitive salary High bar for hiring

Cons

Lack of talent development and growth opportunity No HR Long roadmap for product development Vision uncertainty Poor comms between US and regional offices

VP

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate you highlighting our high bar for hiring competent and talented coworkers as well as our wonderful benefits. We know that we need to work to facilitate more collaboration between our HQ in Boston and our international offices. To this end senior leadership is making more frequent trips to these offices and we also periodically bring team members from these offices to Boston. Developing employees and opportunities for career advancement continues to be a top priority for us across the organization.

10. "Smart, fun company whose customers are the best e-commerce players."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Nanigans part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Technology is the real deal- and there are not many companies for which this is true. Very smart, fun and collaborative people. Lots of spirited company events that we still talk about years later. Nanigans has done a great job proactively adapting as a strategic marketing partner of Facebook. Nanigans seeks to deliver true value through data for its customers- no obfuscation, no bs.

Cons

Focus on Facebook has been good for Nanigans, but it means they are dependent on one platform, that's very powerful. Nanigans may have done a subtle pivot in the last year, but i'm not sure about all the details.

Found 57 reviews