Nulogy Reviews

Updated 3 Jun 2020

4.2
Nulogy CEO Jason Tham
Jason Tham
  1. "A directionless company that lacks self awareness."

Former Employee - Nulogite in Toronto, ON

I worked at Nulogy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, good benefits and free lunches

Cons

Nulogy continuously struggles to find its footing. As a result, be prepared for an endless stream of changes at random of everything from company objectives to the software you use to manage and work. It was hard to balance performing at work and keeping up with what has changed (yet again). Even whole teams are not exempt from sudden changes, you may end up hired with a crop of brilliant minds for a new goal that is forgotten within months - along with your talent. Not surprisingly, you will continuously see a high turn over rate of talent here, which further destabilizes Nulogy. There is a supposed lack of office politics but if you are not enmeshed in a personal relationship with the right people here, you won’t get far. The company prides itself on team relationships but unfortunately, refuses to see the social club it has created that places connections over performance. Performative forms of diversity can also been seen at Nulogy, who will hire but will not protect its ethnic employees from the nuances of life that may make their jobs more difficult. Especially for the employees who have to travel or who are customer facing - do not expect much put in place when you experience racism because it will be swept under the rug to keep the majority happy and comfortable.

Nulogy2020-06-03

"Lack of leadership and inefficient structure"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nulogy full-time

Pros

Problems are complex. The development team tries to use latest technology stack in the industry. Work hours are flexible.

Cons

Huge lack of direction from leadership. There is little clarity on the vision and strategy of the company and very little ability to execute. As well, certain individuals on the leadership team are uninspiring and ineffective. As a result, there is very little growth in revenue and in customer base for a company this size. There are huge struggles to build the correct things and to get customer adoption. The pace of release is painfully slow. Most releases take at least 6 months to a year. When they do happen, there is very little adoption and feedback. It is very difficult to feel you have made a tangible change. Next, leadership do not set people up for success. You are being expected to deliver results and deal with challenges that are above your pay grade. They are not supportive, do not advocate for you and take no responsibility when there are challenges or failure. There are also a lot of egos, which makes interactions frustrating and less pleasant. As well, there are many people in the company with either director or manager titles no direct report. This makes no sense and adds layers of hierarchy and bureaucracy. It is astonishing how slow progress are made and the red tapes you have to go through to affect change. Lastly, one of Nulogy's mottos "it's personal not business" may sound great and unique; but at the end of the day, it is always still just about the business, no matter what kind of contribution you provided and the personal relationships you think you may have built.

Nulogy2020-03-03

May 20, 2020

We want to thank you for taking the time to reflect on your time working with us at Nulogy. It is disappointing to read that you had some negative experiences during your tenure here. This has been shared with leaders in the company to reflect upon. To add to the conversation, I would also like to share a few alternate ways of looking at the same facts about Nulogy. Growing revenues on the same percentage basis has become more challenging as Nulogy has grown and also as we broadened our solution set to include new products for new markets. Nonetheless in our most recent year we brought in another record year of revenue. It is clear that adoption of our new functionality was close to your heart as it is with mine. I am comforted however by the strong positive indicator of customer satisfaction with our products in our net retention metric which is consistently well in excess of 100%. There remains lots of work to do here, and many people across the organization have goals associated with this. It is possible that being part of the solution to this problem was one of the challenges that you felt was outside of your role, in which case we may have set a stretch goal for your professional development that was too much for you, which gives us something to review to improve in the future. We have been investing in our leadership program at Nulogy and we do in fact have some people at the manager and director level who are new to those roles. We feel that it is important for us to develop this leadership level to be ready for our next stage of growth. We have also expanded the pool of leadership talent hired externally as well--all with significant industry experience in high growth companies. We also want to grow the immense talent that we have in house by providing opportunities for people to develop their leadership skills. It is unfortunate that you reported not having a great experience with your leadership team members. This feedback is helpful for us to examine our programs further to ensure all employees are building valuable relationships with their managers. While we do continue to hear employees new and old appreciate the special personal feel that Nulogy culture provides, we also need to have a high performance work environment. It seems as though the mix was not the right fit for you, so I hope you find another place where you will fit better. Nulogy has always fostered a feedback culture that is deeply rooted in our values and our desire to continuously improve. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. I would be open to continuing this conversation should you wish to reach out to me. All the best to you and your family in these difficult times.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Vice President Finance

I worked at Nulogy full-time

Pros

Strong culture and bright people

Cons

Nothing worth mentioning at this time

Nulogy2020-01-28

"Enjoyable group to work with and for!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Nulogy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room for growth if you apply yourself Constant learning and training opportunities from other staff, management teams or training outside the organization Open atmosphere between teams and upper management Parity of staff Forward thinking for Maternity and Paternity benefits Overall great perks and benefits

Cons

Some management staff can be gruff, not easy to reach out to or easy to speak to. This flies in the face of the transparency and open door policy that Nulogy is known for, but is a small con overall. Like others have said, there is always some drama anywhere you go, but the folks here trend towards less.

Nulogy2020-01-30

February 3, 2020COO

Thank you so much for providing your feedback about Nulogy. We truly value hearing from current and past employees about their experience working with us. I appreciate your candor with regards to how we can improve at the management level. One of our core values is “improvement in practice” so feedback like yours is incredibly valuable for us to make Nulogy an even better place to work and grow. Thanks again, and please feel free to also submit these comments through our Employee Net Promoter Score process!

5. "CTO"

I worked at Nulogy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Information technology and technologies to medical equipment

Cons

Problem solving , project management

Nulogy2019-12-19
  6. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Global Applications Support Coordinator

I worked at Nulogy full-time

Pros

Great culture. I recommend it to many

Cons

I have complaints. Enjoyable work place

Nulogy2019-10-09

"Future doesn’t look too promising"

1.0

I worked at Nulogy full-time

Pros

Company seems to care about things that publicly make the org look deeply caring ie. Good benefits, flexible hours, company food/events etc. so if you’re looking for things like unlimited vacation, flexible hours, cool office etc. Nulogy does offer these type of incentives.

Cons

If on the other hand, you’re looking for things like career development, supportive knowledgeable leaders, working alongside people you can learn from etc. Nulogy does not offer this type of value. I feel the org doesn’t know how to adapt to welcoming new skill sets into the org or new ideas, working styles etc yet wants to hire people who can do what they want and how even if it is not necessarily the most effective or efficient way to do things.

Nulogy2019-06-17

July 12, 2019COO

We are striving to consistently improve so thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is important to me as one of the founders for Nulogy to be a really supportive place to grow and develop skills. We made one of our cultural values “Improvement in Practice” because we felt it would be important for us to constantly reinvent ourselves and learn through every stage of our growth. Today we invest in continuous learning for our employees internally and externally through employee learning budgets, sharing through organizational wide communication events, and in-house training sessions. The leadership team and board that they report to has an intentional mixture of experience from inside and outside of Nulogy. We definitely have taken note that you did not find this experience from our environment. We have also received your feedback about welcoming new ideas, skill sets, and working styles. We believe that we have invested significant effort in providing an environment that can give high levels of autonomy to teams and individuals. However we do appreciate that driving change and justifying new ideas is not easy and will reflect on how to make improvements to how we can better accommodate such valuable input. We do track our employee departure and tenure metrics and feel we are competitive in this regard. We also review our exit interview data and feedback like yours, perform analysis and trending and use this to continuously grow and improve so thank you for sharing your perspective. These reviews are an important way for us to learn and continue to grow. I am sorry to hear that your perception is that we are sugar coating the issues which is very much not our intent. The intent is to provide thoughtful responses that can give readers the opportunity to inform themselves, and to show openness for follow up and dialogue on the matters being discussed. I do care about my company and am happy to give my time to discuss these topics further, as would many other Nulogites past and present should this be desired. I am easy to find and regularly meet with people who reach out, or direct them to other Nulogites as it makes sense. Thanks for the thoughts!

"Deeply Caring Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Nulogy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some company leaders claim that they care about their employees but when you need them the most they are nowhere to be found. This is not the case at Nulogy. Everyone who works here genuinely cares about not just the work they are doing, but they people they are working with. The leaders here deeply care about their employees, that is undeniable.

Cons

I haven't had any profound negative experiences at Nulogy. Any company has some drama or frustrating experiences. Such is life.

Nulogy2019-03-12

"More of a social club than an actual productive work environment"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Nulogy full-time

Pros

Good benefits Very flexible hours Food/Drinks frequently provided New office Socially fun place to work

Cons

While Nulogy provides a very comfortable work environment and great perks/benefits, there is a lack of direction from leadership down and the inability to effect positive change. This results in employees not being as productive as we should be which results in a lot of down time, things moving very slowly, customers getting upset, not being innovative or pushing boundaries or working on exciting/challenging projects. It seems new hires are hired to do the job sold to them once joined, yet unable to actually do it once in the role. It is a very slow paced environment where you start to feel you are going a little stir crazy. Especially when you see gaps and areas that need improvement yet are unable to help towards improving because of a culture that is almost impossible to change. Professional and personal growth is very important and if a company doesn't allow employees to effect change or have a voice, they will not stay unfortunately. While there is potential for Nulogy to really make some significant changes in leadership, it doesn't seem that is going to happen. I believe the org lost half of their leadership team over the past 6 months and other senior leaders because they were also not able effect change. If a company truly cares about their people and customers, and change is what is being asked, listening to your people is very important to ensure you are able to scale and retain your employees. Especially ones that are very talented at their craft. Nulogy does need a HR leader as there is no one within the org who is experienced in this area to drive HR initiatives and help contributing towards improving larger issues. It has been a big hit on company moral with great leaders and employees leaving weekly and more disappointing to see nothing being done about it yet business as usual. If you are looking for a comfortable job, easy going, slow paced, not much accountability or innovation happening, Nulogy is a good place to work. If you are looking to grow as a professional, learn new things, challenge yourself and work with others who have actual outside of Nulogy work experience, then this isn't the place to be.

Nulogy2019-03-26

April 4, 2019COO

Thank you for your feedback. We value all feedback from current and past employees. We take pride in providing our team opportunities to grow and be challenged, and we are sorry to learn that you did not feel this was the experience you had while working with us. Your feedback seems to revolve around the following main themes, which we would like to take the opportunity to respond to in the spirit of transparency—something that we value highly at Nulogy: 1) Leadership and professional development 2) Work environment and culture Leadership: There have been both additions and departures to our leadership team in the past year. We certainly appreciate how disruptive changes in leadership are and it is not something we take lightly. We encourage anyone considering joining our team to ask about changes in leadership and are happy to share the actual facts on this. Fortunately, the Nulogy’s leadership team has evolved to be even stronger and more cohesive, which we think benefits everyone still at Nulogy. For example, we believe that it will only improve how well we convey direction to the company which you mentioned as being something you found lacking. This is something that I have appreciated being personally able to spend a lot more time on thanks to the evolution of our leadership structure. We have also invested significant time and money in leadership training for our Executive and Senior leaders this year to help improve. This is above and beyond the learning and education budget afforded to all employees at Nulogy, and the programs run by our dedicated Learning and Development Manager. While we would always love to do more in this regard—Improvement in Practice has been a Nulogy value since our founding—we already work hard to be a top performer in this area for a company at our stage of growth. We solicit feedback from employees in various ways (e.g. 1:1s, Perfection Game, employee engagement surveys) continuously through the year and do our best to respond appropriately to the feedback. Work environment and culture: We are quite proud of our work environment and culture, and still recognize that no amount of awards or recognition for this will mean that we will be a fit for every individual. We see ourselves solving complex problems on a long journey of industry transformation, which requires a sustainable rate of growth. We are trying to move through this as quickly as possible, and have at least been recognized by Deloitte as one of the fastest growing companies in North America. We try to stay in the positive range of “eustress” vs distress on the stress-performance curve. Based on your comments, it seems that the culture and work environment here may have been a surprise and disappointment for you after joining. This suggests that we did not do a good job of ensuring you understood the culture and work environment you would be joining and have noted this experience to make sure we improve how we make this clear for future candidates considering becoming a Nulogite. Exit interviews are always performed, and their results are shared for review by leadership, with dedicated meeting follow-ups as appropriate. They are taken seriously, and it is not uncommon for there to be extensive written dialogue of reflection on the feedback gathered in this way. I hope this response can provide greater visibility into the level of consideration and thought given to feedback and our emphasis on a strong feedback culture at Nulogy. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

"Organized, understanding, transparent"

Current Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Nulogy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything is really well organized - lots of great processes regardless of whether it is in building software or running a party-type event. Nulogy is very open about what's happening the company and very accommodating to any kind of special circumstances and needs.

Cons

The pace of software development can seem a bit slow sometimes, but this is largely a byproduct of having to support many large organizations that are very slow to allow change.

Nulogy2019-02-21