OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

OfferUp Reviews

Updated 31 Oct 2019

3.3
OfferUp CEO Nick Huzar (no image)
Nick Huzar
Pros
  • "The company provides flexible work schedules and a great work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "I very much value our executive team standing up and being so transparent and their intent to make a difference(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical startup growing pains at tech and organizational level(in 4 reviews)

• "Would love to see the leadership team open up to this as the workplace is evolving and we need to evolve with it(in 4 reviews)

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Offer Up offers such an inviting culture where you are challenged to grow and enabled to increase learning and responsibility. I have been here almost 6 months and love working here. Yes there's been lots of changes but that's the beauty of a start up culture and it is growing in so many ways in the right direction. This company is doing so well and has so much room to grow as well. It's been great seeing and... being a part of all the events that are done to promote culture and friendships. The company is very big on the operating principles and they are great guidelines on the work ethic and behavior employees are held to. It really promotes a collaborative and neighborly culture.

Cons

Not many cons, not downtown bellevue so not walkable to restaurants but the service lish comes to the office to prepare meals everyday, there is a close dilletante cafe, and parking.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard on growth and culture, you are doing great.

OfferUp2019-09-30

"Great ICs, below average management."

Current Employee - Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the people I work with.

Cons

No career opportunity Stock is worthless Management is bottom of the barrel.

Advice to Management

Townhalls is not the way to get to know your ICs. You need to be better at gathering data and hold your reports accountable for the development of their reports. You people are way too happy just hearing from Managers and Directors who look out only for themselves.

OfferUp2019-10-31

"Positive reviews are artificial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at OfferUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

One can work on a diverse range of things. Lots to do and learn in the process. Ability to have direct impact on the product or the company

Cons

Many (or some would say most) of the talented people have left in the past few months with the highest attrition rate one might see anywhere. Think of a high number and double it! Much was preventable with stronger leadership, however the CEO placed trust in a few incompetent people who made some really bad directional decisions. The company has been struggling to hire and now doing all they can to try change the... image: 1) by having current employees post 5-star glassdoor reviews (=artificial) 2) desperately trying to get onto "top companies to work for lists", which are really meaningless. Take a look at the Glassdoor trend line; the drop earlier in 2019. That was real. Any come back might be false. Beware!

Advice to Management

CEO to step aside.

OfferUp2019-09-20
  4. "Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Legal

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Energetic and collaborative working environment

Cons

The location isn't great. It'd be nice if it was walkable to restaurants and closer to public transportation.

OfferUp2019-09-20
  5. "Great company with fun culture"

I have been working at OfferUp

Pros

- Many positive leadership changes - Exciting career growth opportunities - Ability to make an impact regularly

Cons

- The company is growth quickly and with that comes some chaos

OfferUp2019-09-15

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-No two days are the same. Finance can get repetitive at some companies, but that's never a challenge here. Tons of room to make improvements in the way we work, and I get a strong sense of pride and fulfillment as a result. -I love my coworkers. We have good chemistry and I genuinely enjoy working with them. -Our COO is implementing some Amazon disciplines that I love. For example, memo-based meetings. ... It forces people to think through their proposals, and it levels the playing field for introverts vs extroverts, and assertive vs reserved people. We are making better decisions, and ideas are getting implemented based on merit. -The company is starting to emerge from its awkward teenage phase, and my optimism for our future is getting stronger. Back when OfferUp was a mostly unknown startup, we hired the best leaders we could get at the time. But as our growth continued and we started getting more notoriety, we were able to start attracting really great talent. That created a weird mix of A and C players. The result was a bit of controlled chaos, and morale issues for some. I know that because I'm giving a 5-star review, many people will skip over this. But if you're waffling over whether to join the company, it's important to understand this: many of the negative reviews you're reading are from people who were (1) A-players who were frustrated by the C-players, or (2) C-players who we let go. We're emerging from the awkward teenage phase because we've hired really strong leaders who are replacing C-players with A-players. Things have changed dramatically over the last 6 months as a result. But you're seeing negative reviews because not all of the individuals affected by the changes were affected positively.

Cons

-I work pretty long hours at times, but that's kind of expected when you join a growing startup. I have to be intentional about taking time off to avoid burn out. The exec team has been supportive by adding headcount to my team as needed. -The office location can be a little challenging for commuting from the west side, but it's not horrible as long as you avoid peak rush hour.

OfferUp2019-08-22
  7. "Great Startup Environment with Tons of Work Left to Do"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

—Great product and mission —Opportunity to grow skillset —Build processes from scratch —Constantly working on new and interesting stuff —Executive team is passionate about product

Cons

—Changing priorities can be overwhelming —Transitional phase from small startup to actual business has pain points

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on building tools and features for the customer and we will be a Seattle success story!

OfferUp2019-09-10
  8. "Part of a strong team building structure to handle growth"

Current Employee - Head of IT in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

OfferUp provides a fun environment in the office. Although, we have deadlines to keep the business moving, we take time to have fun. For me of the many places I have worked, makes OfferUp one of the most enjoyable on a day to day basis to come into the office. The other part is the new executive team. As OfferUp grows up from a startup to a growth company, the new executive team is really focused on how do we grow... the business while still thinking about the employees.

Cons

OfferUp is still in the progression from startup to corporation and that is seen from time to time with standard startup chaos. This is something being worked on at the company as part of its maturation, but will take time. This is only a con for people that don't work well in this type of environment. For me, I don't really mind this because I see it as a challenge and like being part of the team working to bring... the company structure.

OfferUp2019-08-29

"Bad management, lack of opportunity, backdoor reviews"

Current Employee - Product & Engineering in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

ICs are mostly good people to work with.

Cons

- Management should have remained ICs - No concern for employee development - When you interview, they do backdoor reviews. i.e They reach out to your LinkedIn contacts without your permission thus outing that you are exploring options. (Before OfferUp tries to rebut, be aware that I still have communications from my contacts who told me about this when I was going through the interview process.) - The OfferUp... principles are a joke. Management does not follow them consistently. - The company is struggling under the weight of an inflated valuation and now is trying to find ways to make things work.

Advice to Management

Hire better middle managers. Good ICs are burning out or are being thrown under the bus by their managers. I am actively seeing this happening in meetings where ICs come under fire for decisions made by their manager while the manager sits there quiet as a mouse. It's disgusting.

OfferUp2019-09-23
  10. "Great Place to Make an Impact on a Growing Business"

Current Employee - Attorney in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at OfferUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture. Ability to see the impact of your work. Lots of upside potential.

Cons

Rapid growth and change in a startup means some chaos. You have to get used to it.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate our progress and where we're going.

OfferUp2019-08-27