OfferUp Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 28 February 2019

3.8
Nick Huzar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Others like the flexibility work/life balance relative to working for a larger company" (in 7 reviews)

• "The combination of the fast-paced environment and the high impact projects really keeps employees engaged and excited about their work" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I came from a place where there is no free food or drink" (in 4 reviews)

• "They are constantly trying to conquer new areas of responsibility at the expense of someone else or some other team" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun Company with Big Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

OfferUp has a fun and exciting culture and the potential to be one of the next big Companies in the Seattle area. The employees have the opportunity to help create products and features that make a difference for millions of users who want to find great deals or get cash for unneeded items. The teams generally get along well and jerks aren't tolerated. The atmosphere is both casual and energized, so it's a fun place to come to work every day.

Cons

Working at a startup is not for everyone. One of the OfferUp values is be scrappy, and if you expect to have all of the problems solved and all of the systems and processes already built, this may not be the place for you. However, if you'd like to participate in building them, OfferUp is a great opportunity.

15 Oct 2018 – VP - Customer Experience

Thanks for the feedback and for being part of building on our culture.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly co-workers
    - Opportunity to have a big impact because of the amazing product!
    - Great work life balance
    - Visionary CEO

Cons

- Could use a bit more structure

3. "Can have great impact"

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone's work is connected to mission.
    More impact than larger companies.
    work-life balance.
    people.

Cons

Other companies can be more competitive.

4. "Great team working to execute against huge vision"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great team and people from the top to the bottom who are committed and passionate about what they do.

- Great senior leadership team with breadth and depth of experience building success

- Awesome product that works as advertised and delivers great value prop.

- Modern engineering culture and tool set across cloud, mobile, and infrastructure.

- Data driven decisions based on metrics and customer signals.

Cons

- Typical startup growing pains at tech and organizational level.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in both people and engineering first principals to attract top talent.

5. "Great, Growing Company"

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High-energy environment, fast paced, friendly. Lots of the advantages of working at a startup, with few of the typical downsides. For example, while it skews male like most tech companies, it's definitely not a "bro"/frat environment. It's also stable- low risk of company going out of business compared to other startups. Really fascinating opportunities to work on a 2-sided marketplace and all the complexities that come with it.

Cons

Honestly none at this time

6. "Lots of challenges and an exciting road ahead."

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work on a small but great team working on figuring out how to manage our first large revenue source. We have the ability to speak our minds and come up with solutions that will pave the way as the team gets larger.
    The products works well in metro areas where we have a lot of users.
    I believe in the companies mission and am looking forward to see all of the positive changes to come. I am looking forward to growing with this team and seeing our product evolve to become a big player in this space.

Cons

The administrative part of this position seems to take up a lot of time but hey its a startup and will get better with time.
    The location is tough if you want to take public transportation to work .

Advice to Management

Keep the monthly all company meetings in place. I enjoy hearing updates from the different teams and about upcoming releases.

"Retain consistent high performance versus one trick pony’s!"

I worked at OfferUp full-time

Pros

Valuable and timeless concept; pay is usually higher in comparison to other start ups in seattle; beautiful building and location.

Cons

Lacks strong leadership- the current leaders are so weak and mediocre that have failed to earn respect and therefore allow poor performers to continue collecting a paycheck and distracting and demotivating those who truly care for the company and want to be there for the long haul. That is one of the reasons why many outstanding employees have left because that environment seems a joke- If Nick (CEO) really knew what happens down at that level he’d be disgusted too. Many of these one trick pony’s employees are there to party, eat all the snack and drink-technically living up to the “Life at OfferUp” hiring campaign they were once attracted to and fortunately for them , it didn’t disappoint . Work and what an employee is hired to do becomes the least of their priorities!

Advice to Management

Nick, hire a strong human resources team that can work hand in hand with your leadership team to build their confidence in addressing mediocracy in performance at an early stage and polish those leadership skills so they can lead their own teams more efficiently; not only the team morale will be better but also more work will be done. A win-win situation for offerup! Also, you may want to rethink your employee recruiting strategies in terms of showing how working there is all fun, drinking, partying and work only when you want (your manager will never know anyway) -You are attracting exactly that!

1 Mar 2019 – VP CX

We are sorry that you didn't have a great experience. We are committed to improving every aspect of our employee journey. As part of this, we do expect growing pains and we will continue to invest in... More

"POORPOORPOOR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to this company.

Cons

Ignore customers. Lack of staff. Work load are enormous.

Advice to Management

Hire more people.

1 Mar 2019 – VP CX

We take this type of feedback really seriously. We have many channels to talk to various people across the organization - including office hours with anyone on the exec team. HR is also always... More

9. "OfferUp - Great place to work and learn."

I have been working at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Transparency. OfferUp is one of the rare companies that I have worked with that allows us to have insights on all aspects of the business. Exec hours are held regularly so anyone can have a conversation with the guys and gals on top of the decision making and provide feedback, opinions, or just shoot the breeze. The compensation is fair. And the flexibility is great. I have "zero" micromanagement and I really appreciate the unlimited vacation and life/work balance.

Cons

Things change quickly. If you are not used to changing you may want to look at a company that is not in startup mode.

Advice to Management

Train to promote within.

1 Mar 2019 – VP CX

Thanks for the feedback. We love to hear that you find your work is both challenging and engaging. It's great to have you on the team!

"Stock options don’t cut it"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kirkland, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kirkland, WA (US)

I worked at OfferUp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really liked the people I worked with. Everyone I was hired with are some of the best guys I’ve had the chance to work with. Most of my team was helpful and wanted to help out. This was nice because managers aren’t always at their desks to approve your deals. Lots of good snacks and free food. Most people from other areas were nice and friendly.

Cons

4 pay cuts to commission in 3 months.
    Commission’s are now less than half of what you can make at other sales companies in Seattle and Bellevue. Outside of selling, not many opportunities to grow inside the company.

Advice to Management

If you find it vital to make your teams feel empowered to offer the best possible solutions for your customers, you can’t cut the commission structure in half and then cut it three times after that. Reps who can’t pay their bills, won’t be happy at work and around their coworkers. They also won’t come off as happy when they are on the phone with a customer.