OpenTable Reviews

Updated 25 Jun 2020

3.6
OpenTable Chief Revenue Officer and Chief Technology Officer Andrea Johnston and Joseph Essas
Andrea Johnston and Joseph Essas
Pros
  • "Compensation is one of highest in Los Angeles area, work life balance amazing, technology is state of the art(in 46 reviews)

• "Excellent atmosphere, great culture, fair compensation(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are limited benefits and perks for a SF tech company(in 10 reviews)

• "Kayak has control over the company now(in 8 reviews)

1. "Nice team to work with"

4.0
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

The teach team I worked with were experienced and I learnt a lot from them.

Cons

Since, it's a big company the processes move slow and sometimes it gets frustrating.

"Good company, not good leaders"

2.0
    Former Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mumbai

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked with OpenTable Mumbai operations team. The Mumbai team is energetic, hardworking. But most projects and high level work was handled from SF office. The people in local team make up for the all the negatives and helped me survive here. There is freedom to work on different tools, technologies but one should be self-starter to learn. Leaders were focused on maintaining existing legacy systems. I worked on many good tech and legacy products and tried improving the tech stack.

Cons

The hard work done here is not appreciated nor recognized. The management takes the team here for granted. I was stressed with work at odd hours and support calls. The management took my late hours work for granted. Market corrections never happened although role and work kept changing. New hires were provided higher pay and better stocks for the same role. I left the org as I was not managed well, not paid well. Many other team members in the Mumbai office have the same complain, we get no appreciation, taken for granted, the compensation not worth our efforts. Many senior members and managers are with the company for 10+ years, hence they are little old school, enjoy legacy (read they have pile of stocks and nothing to do), they do not take polished decisions which is hurting the company (infra and tech stack is old and people under are not happy).

"Failed management"

1.0

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Technology is d best part of working at OpenTable

Cons

Managment of indian team is the worse part. 2 nodes of decision making make the team run in oposite direction w/o under standing team load.

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Director of Support

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee focused, stands behind the community, constant product focus, competive wages

Cons

sometimes moves faster than the staff is ready with product enhancements, but what tech team doesnt.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've really enjoyed my time at OpenTable, most of the people are great and easy to get along with, compensation is fair

Cons

Career progression can be limited

6. ""It's all abut the CULTure!""

2.0
    Current Employee - Support in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's some great people working here. People who genuinely want to see you excel and grow professionally. Unfortunately, they're not the ones making the decisions.

Cons

The hourly rate is garbage for how much they expect you to do. Expect back to back calls for days before and after any holiday... which you will be working. Holidays are paid but if you're scheduled to work.. you'll be working. Their entire "review/raise" system is built to keep you at the lowest possible pay rate. They will tell you all through training "You'll never get a sup call! Everyone is nice to you!" Complete nonsense. Every call is either a customer angry about their rewards points or some restaurant angry about the software. Good luck. Also, good luck moving up.. if you're not in the right "friend group" you're not going anywhere. It's not like it matters anyway, the restaurant industry is in the toilet right now, they won't be hiring any time soon.

7. COVID-19

"Best Job I ever had"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive, supportive environment: friendly management, supervisors and co-workers always willing to help, kind and patient. Relaxed, friendly working atmosphere.

Cons

The current Pandemic and subsequent fall out with mass restaurant closures sadly makes this company an uncertain employment option for long term. employment. Normally, career opportunities would be strong except for this fact. I do hope that this great company can hang in there during these trying times.

"Average Employer"

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Nice Perks, nice office location and free snacks

Cons

Some managers are not well behaved. In some teams, the technology used is outdated.

"Changed within 2 years"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture and flexibility is a pro

Cons

Merging with another company has created too much turnover and the choices in our department to follow and change to their systems and ways is creating issues and more work.

10. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work with a mostly good bunch of people.

Cons

On the phones, so it's all about volume with some people working the system to pad their stats

Found 266 reviews