OpenTable Reviews

Updated 3 Mar 2021

OpenTable CEO Debby Soo
Debby Soo
Pros
Cons
  • "should spend more time addressing technical debt (though really most tech companies needs to do this)(in 11 reviews)

• "Ever since OT merged with Kayak things went downhill(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Nice team to work with"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

The teach team I worked with were experienced and I learnt a lot from them.

Cons

Since, it's a big company the processes move slow and sometimes it gets frustrating.

2. COVID-19

"Confused company, super confused leaders"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Mumbai

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

OpenTable Mumbai has one of the best, modern design, awesomely decorated offices in India. It is centrally located, provides standing desks, has a decent snack and happy hour policy. (All of the above is negated due to wfh in covid times, their heavy investment has become dead) Each employee is provided with a Mac and multiple monitors at work, so facilities are good. Work life balance is good in Operations as one is required to operate only during IST hours. One does not get disturbed out of office hours. Alerts out of office hours are handled by different offices in other countries in their timezone. The work atmosphere is casual, people are free to walk upto any other employee in the company and talk to him/her. People are generally helping and mind their own business. Lots of tools, technologies and processes which can be a good ground for learning. Open source is encouraged, code is open for reading. No work is big or small here, if you can fix it or improve, take ownership and do it (don’t expect any rewards though). One will also find a lot of legacy tech.

Cons

Mumbai Ops is a small team, less than 10 members, hence limited scope to grow in the long term. Better to plan for 3-4 years with the company (3 year stock vesting). Compensation looks attractive on paper with bonus and stocks. The bonus calculation is so complicated that even the best of chartered accountant can’t decipher the amount you will receive. The stock amount is greatly reduced due to tax deductions, transaction surcharges and dollar conversion fees. The company calls the stocks as “golden handcuffs” and uses it to its advantage. When you leave the company (or laid off or kicked out), the stocks would be forfeited. “Salary correction” is a forbidden word. Compensation changes during annual reviews never matches with your effort and ratings (at least I haven’t seen for myself or for my team in the 4 years I worked here). The company is almost 22 years old, hence has its share of old products, tools and technologies. They are trying hard to give up legacy systems, but the progress has been extremely slow (and frustrating). The company has a big share of people who are with them for more than a decade, golden handcuffed, happy and content in their positions. The organisation is engineering/product driven and operations always takes a backseat. This blocks introduction of new tools, technology or even upgrading new ones. Sometimes, the legacy mindset of the leaders also comes into play. Managers are treated as God, you can’t question manager’s decision, especially during review ratings and compensation changes. The HR team, called as “People and Culture” team, is a dumb spectator and sides with the company leads. The People and Culture team is only visible while preparing the job offer letter and non existent afterwards. Although the office infrastructure is great, of late, the culture has been going down. They’ve invested heavily in sprucing up the office (spent unnecessarily and extravagantly), but not ready to invest in their own people. Inspite of good efforts, performance and receiving a good annual rating, many (including in tech) were handed a pink-slip due to “business decision” and were unceremoniously kicked out (during covid time 400+ were kicked out). This act showed the true character of the company (and its leaders). The company has shown that this will be the culture going forward (substandard hiring and firing at will).

Continue reading

"Good company, not good leaders"

2.0
    Former Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mumbai

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked with OpenTable Mumbai operations team. The Mumbai team is energetic, hardworking. But most projects and high level work was handled from SF office. The people in local team make up for the all the negatives and helped me survive here. There is freedom to work on different tools, technologies but one should be self-starter to learn. Leaders were focused on maintaining existing legacy systems. I worked on many good tech and legacy products and tried improving the tech stack.

Cons

The hard work done here is not appreciated nor recognized. The management takes the team here for granted. I was stressed with work at odd hours and support calls. The management took my late hours work for granted. Market corrections never happened although role and work kept changing. New hires were provided higher pay and better stocks for the same role. I left the org as I was not managed well, not paid well. Many other team members in the Mumbai office have the same complain, we get no appreciation, taken for granted, the compensation not worth our efforts. Many senior members and managers are with the company for 10+ years, hence they are little old school, enjoy legacy (read they have pile of stocks and nothing to do), they do not take polished decisions which is hurting the company (infra and tech stack is old and people under are not happy).

Continue reading

"Failed management"

1.0

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Technology is d best part of working at OpenTable

Cons

Managment of indian team is the worse part. 2 nodes of decision making make the team run in oposite direction w/o under standing team load.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in London, England

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

They take good care of you

Cons

Lack of career opportunities in the department

6. "Just okay"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

Benefits/perks, 4 day work week

Cons

Micromanaging, frequent employee reviews, high turnover

7. "Good place to work, Good coworkers, Nice tech"

Former Employee - Data Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is one of the best places I've ever worked. Pros: 1. Decent tech stack. 2. Co-workers very nice in general and down to earth. 3. Summer hours.

Cons

Not too many cons come to mind.

8. "great"

Current Employee - Content Lead in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at OpenTable full-time

Pros

open, direct, cultural, kind people, fun hospitality

Cons

honest, big, lots people, busy, booming

9. "Awesome place to work"

5.0

I have been working at OpenTable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversity, room to move up, management

Cons

Literally none at all !

10. "Japan office is awesome"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Tokyo

I worked at OpenTable full-time

Pros

good hours, respects work-life balance, flexible hours

Cons

should spend more time addressing technical skills

Viewing 1 - 10 of 310 English Reviews