ProShares Reviews

Updated 29 Apr 2020

2.9
ProShares CEO Michael Sapir (no image)
Michael Sapir

"Understand what you're getting into"

I worked at ProShares full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There honestly aren't may pros, aside from the fact that you will interact with and meet some incredibly brilliant and driven people. The real question here is, can you use that your advantage? If you are someone who can overlook the nearly mile long list of cons in the firm and just build a solid network with the people who really matter, it may help you either move up here or leverage those networks for other opportunities at better firms. I will also say, that if you just want a 9-5 and are really good at ignoring the cons and BS, the work/life balance isn't bad at all.

Cons

How much time do you have? Lets go over the basics: PAY - The firm has a solid and unwavering policy of underpaying every single individual, minus the top few people. Aside from incredibly sub-par pay, be prepared to have bonuses/commissions withheld at the whim of one of the few decisions makers at the top just because they want to. There are some VERY strong egos at the top and they control a lot more than they let on. CULTURE - Under the layer of smiling faces and fake personalities, there is an incredibly toxic culture here. The first thing to understand is that the entire firm is owned by single individual who views the company as his own ATM. Now I am NOT saying that owners/CEOs/Founders are not entitled to their share of money because it is after-all their company. And it was not my first time working for a privately owned firm, so I thought I was prepared. But this company takes it to the extreme. 90% of the firm's profits goes to the man at the top. The remaining 10% is left on the table for every department to fight and claw over. This is really where you start to see that toxic culture. It's really hard to trust anyone there not because they are bad people, but because there are five life jackets for 10 people. So get ready for that. For the most part, the happy fake facade holds up but if you look around or care to see what's under the hood...you will NOT like what you find. JOB GROWTH - This really varies from department to department but for the most part, there is zero growth here. It really goes back to the whole pay issue. The philosophy here is every person is replaceable, so why pay anyone fairly? You are almost meant to come here, learn and hustle, and get out to something better. In fact every time someone resigns and goes elsewhere, there is almost a unanimous jubilation within the employees because "someone got out! BLACKLISTED - This I had to learn first hand and I am really angry I did not know prior. I would not have joined the firm if I had known. I am not sure as to the root of the cause, however by joining this firm you will absolutely be blacklisted at other shops. Once again, i do not know the cause or reason for this but it is something i verified through multiple sources. For example, T Rowe Price will NEVER hire you if you have this firm on your resume. I'm not sure what the back story there is, but it is something you should be very aware of.

Continue reading

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at ProShares full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with the company for about a year in total now and enjoy working here. The company is very pro-employee and has great benefits! There are a lot of training opportunities if you want to advance your skill sets.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Good products, poor management"

I worked at ProShares full-time

Pros

Unique products for the marketplace

Cons

CEO is a micro-manager. Product strategy group dictates marketing strategy and changes it frequently. Claims to be 'digital first' but website is outdated and subpar. CEO doesn't want to spend money to update it though. Pay and benefits are below average for the industry. No career development.

"Blah"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at ProShares full-time

Pros

-Benefits -People -Products -Food/ Celebrations -Lean operation =Depth of experience

Cons

-Mediocre Salary -Mediocre Merit Raises -Lean operation = Performing multiple roles without compensation -Minimal budget authority -Zero flex time -Title demotions

5. "good"

I worked at ProShares

Pros

good salary, work, people, management

Cons

nothing to complain about at all

6. "Capital Markets"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at ProShares part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smart and helpful people - Industry recognized brand with dominance in niche of leveraged funds - Collaborative environment with access to upper level management - Your work has direct impact on the business - Fun corporate events and relatively laid back corporate culture

Cons

None. Enjoyed my time at the firm.

"manaer"

4.0

I worked at ProShares

Pros

good folks all around in company

Cons

politics, yet this is everywhere

"Diverse Experience"

4.0

I have been working at ProShares full-time

Pros

I’m writing to share my experience as a person of color. I recently read a review from a former colleague and I’m saddened to hear their experience. My experience in no way takes away from anyone else’s but I’d like to share what it’s been like for me. Personally, my work has been valued based on merit and character. I’ve had the opportunity to advance in my development and contribute to the firm’s success in meaningful ways. I have not been treated poorly by any management person because of my race. Most of the people I’ve worked with have been great and come from diverse backgrounds i.e. race, nationality or heritage, different US regions and have had diverse religious, political, or academic affiliations. In comparison to another nearby firm that I know of where everyone appears to be a clone of each other, all coming from the same race, gender, fraternity, country club, and academic background. If anyone has had a different experience, then I imagine it would be situational rather than organizational and I wonder if the appropriate steps were taken to notify a manager or HR in order to raise awareness of the situation for a productive resolution. Are there concerns with regard to leadership, compensation, or promotions? Then that’s another discussion that may apply more broadly, regardless of race.

Cons

Be a leader in the comp market across different levels of the firm.

"Plantation Mentality"

1.0

I worked at ProShares full-time

Pros

The food, the anniversary gifts, the fancy parties.

Cons

The way you will be treated, especially if you are a person of color, who are nearly non-existent now. Imagine working for Trump. Now imagine working for about 5 Trumps. That's ProShares.

"good the bad and ugly"

I worked at ProShares full-time

Pros

hard work is good for you

Cons

none there are no cons

Found 22 reviews