Qualys Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.2
Qualys Chairman and CEO Philippe Courtot
Philippe Courtot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work-life balance for anyone" (in 12 reviews)

• "We work on cutting edge technology and have a zero tolerance to underperformance as it puts the brand at risk and large organisations count on us" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need to learn from competitors where they hire from about work life balance policies" (in 7 reviews)

• "Work from home is only for managers" (in 5 reviews)

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work life balance
    2. Better technology exposure

Cons

1. Can't find anything as of now

"Thank you!!!"

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would like to share a short story. This will make one understand what should be a relationship between Employer and Employee.

"I had an accident and was bed rest for over a month. My team handled my work. My manager handled my back. The HR team handled the Salary. And the Corporate Insurance handled my Hospitalization and LOP.

If a company is backing you in your odd days, I think no employee have a right to back out in the odd times / expectations of Employment."

One will always get another job but more important is that if this company has given you something at least respect that. If one have learned something from his/her manager then respect that. I have seen many bad reviews and felt that they are written by WEAK PEOPLE.

If one is not happy with his/her job or manager then one should open a shop and be self employed.

Yes there will be odd situations but its up to us to make them right. I'm not talking about buttering!!

I feel that in every bad situation we learn a lot and grow heights!

Cons

Not to say much as already most of the people have said enough.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all the help.

3. "Balanced"

I have been working at Qualys full-time

Pros

Learning curve is good enough.

Cons

The one who works gets more work.
    The one who is lazy enjoys.

Advice to Management

Do not interfere in other teams.
    Appreciate hard workers.

"Check all negative reviews for Qualys Pune. Homegrown folks are planting fake stories.. Stay safe from this hell."

Current Employee - ServiceNow Integration Engineer in Pune
    Current Employee - ServiceNow Integration Engineer in Pune

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Salary is on time. Finance department is good.
    2. Read (1) again. Nothing else

Cons

Best place for experienced professionals to screw their career big time.

Qualys is the best place to screw your career and lose motivation.

Qualys is NOT serious about a safe and inclusive workplace. Harassment or inappropriate conducts are not investigated. Few female employees went through derogatory comments by managers, yet nothing was done.Speaks a lot of its DNA.

Work environment
    1. Work environment is highly toxic than the Fukhushima disaster. Employees are treated in an extremely cheap and ugly manner. Experience was not that good wrt work culture, processes.
    2. Communication between different teams is worse and ego-based. There is always a simmering tension between people to get to the top. Expect cast based remarks , preferential treatment based on who you are.

Office facilities

1. Satisfactory premises and limited parking. Admin team is active.
    2. Food options in canteen are limited and rates are high. No subsidized rates.

Engineering

1. One of the main reasons why Qualys has a high attrition rates and low joining ratio is the engineering management. They have very poor communication and people management skills. It either one way or get lost type of leadership. Qualys hires smart people and tells them what to do ! As one grows in experience and seniority, one's heart should be larger and mind should not focus on individual faults. Engineering management will demean you based on your caste,religion and bombard you with personal mudslinging. They weaponise fear to rule you. Neither they are concerned with you. Expect work related arrogant emails/ messages as late as 11.30 pm or early as 6.30 am if you are are on sick leave.
    2. Work from home is only for managers. You cannot avail WFH even if you need to. Zero Flexibility.
    3. If you are expecting word class product work, refactor you imagination. Qualys is that place where a manager decide what to do, how to do, when to do. I have seen product releases delayed by an year due to short sightedness. Neither they know product roadmap nor aware of business pragmatism. Your boss will not listen to your ideas. You will be micromanaged. You have no freedom to choose the best solutions and methods. Your hard work and loyalty are not valued. Engineering management is pushing loyal employees to the point where they no longer care causing disloyalty, conflict and attrition Neither their is planning in work, nor your experience will be valued. You will be taught to write good code when the managers got promoted by writing bad incomplete code and licking their seniors !
    4. You can’t escalate any issue or problem as Godfathers are sitting in senior management. You will be abused by few managers together over caste and the HR shall take no action on it despite written complaint. The harassment committee has nothing to do with these incidents. They mean business and not moral value is last thing on their mind. Sweat shop for selfish means.
    5. 95 % of the engineering management is unprofessional , manner less. and immature. Cheap mentality in recruitment procedure. They want to hire rockstars. Little they know that the bad treatment of their team members is destroying their chances of getting good talent. Who would work with pathetic, non PMP certified management ? There is communication gap from top Management till all the layers across organization. The way projects are handled are at very nascent stages. Managers lack man management skills. Work culture has lots of issues. Shouting, screaming, harassment are essential part of their work culture.

Onsite/Technical/ Certifications

1. No onsite for hard working professionals. You might work as individual contributor for a longer period into Splunk, ServiceNow, QRadar, Jenkins, Internal tools, mentoring new members, documentation, interviewing, etc etc all that is required of you, wil never feel appreciated or value nor get any onsite. Only management always gets onsite opportunity by default and not by merit. They will expect you to rub nose before their feet.
    2. Even for certifications, you have to beg to management and end up getting nothing. Management dont promote support for certification programs. Management will not allow you communicate to upper management. Managers are very insecure about top talent existence in team and ridicule experience, contribution, ideas each time to sabotage people's career. Agreeing to manager is not the way forward indeed.
    3. Notice period is poorly managed by Qualys. Neither managers talk to you even once during the entire period, neither did have the ethics to ensure a smooth transition. It is left to you to hand over all work in a professional manner working until the very last day. Note that if you agree with your manager, you will be in good books but taking a right stand will be problematic for you.
    4. Management themselves gossip of how Qualys isnt the best place to be at and do the following to vent frustration derived at their homes.
    1. Interrupting others
    2. Making others feel small and treating them like dogs.
    3. Making others believe lies

Appraisal
    1. Dont expect good experience in Appraisal process. It gets over in 10 minute with a one sided discussion with below the belt talks trying to manipulate you for negative control.
     2. Work as hard and smart as you can, you wont get promotion or good hike and it is reserved for the "homegrowns". There are people with 10+ experience working as senior engineers and managers have 9+ years. Qualys is the undisputed RSS of Pune IT.

Firing

1. Firing is reserved to those who try to raise voice against the ill happening in Qualys. When people try to correct the setup with industry practices, that person is fired. HR associates, engineers are regularily fired for trivial reasons at the behest of senior leadership. Current HR too is a puppet. Not once will the the senior leadership talk to you on their own. Office culture consists of the following -
    1 . Not Empowered but bullied
    2. Have not been given tools and training to succeed
    3. Not trusted, supported
    4. Not respected and valued beyond the idea of "resource"

The junior whom you train gets promoted as Lead and you stay as Senior Engineer. This preferential treatment only happens at Qualys as managers are scared of some seniors overtaking their positions. Personal experience.

Verdict - There a no worse person than someone who doesn’t care about others. There are lot of such people in Qualys.
    Those who are looking for a professional environment with challenging assignments this is not a suitable choice. Life is beautiful. Dont enter this hell.

Advice to Management

1. India Engineering Management need to be taught on having technical vision - have clear picture in the first go. They shall not be allowed to burn people by constantly changing the requirements.
    2. Fire those India Engineering Management who absconded their previous companies and manipulated HR records.
    3. Encourage merit and not "homegrown" folks - Get real, get honest. Not a lot of collaboration among different teams and thrive on conflict. Managers enjoy the exalted status and slowly get used to it, have fatal attraction towards their subject and are comfortable discussing their domain and nothing else .As a result ,their interaction with the rest of the colleagues is a bare minimum.
    4. The employees need to blindly follow the leader without suggesting changes or ideas. Micro managing managers have turned the company into colonial England. Dictatorship and monopoly of chosen people is backed by us leadership.
    5. Duly respect employee time. There is no point in having a meeting with team members talking bad about someone who resigned from team. (It happened to me and reported by my team the same day). Managers need to have guts to talk straight and not play dirty politics. Teach managers on manage/train/motivate people.
    6. Please be open and stop listening to the small group of people around you who are just interested to protect their job.

"Talent cannot survive here only bootlicers can"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pune
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pune

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can say in market you are working for MNC.

Cons

1. No respect for talent.
    2. Sincerity is not appreciated
    3. Promotion are not given to well deserved people but it depends on who is favourite of manager. Specially PORTAL-QA team.
    4. In-equality of hike, some get even 100% hike without going a good job for the project.
    5. Employee retention is not at all appreciated.
    6. Over-burden of work for those who does.
    7. Personal-Professional life balance is minimum. Even forced to work on Sat/Sunday or late night.
    8. No parking space for employee. It exhausted before 9:15 AM. But few people get the parking due their special powers.
    9. Time flexibility is not here though at the time of joining HR says we have flexible timing. But manager conducts meeting saying maintain professionalism.
    10. Not at all recommend for friends.
    11. Work culture is not good here.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to employee problem rather than only believing the manager's feedback. Engineers are building the project.

"Sr. SQA Engineer"

I have been working at Qualys full-time

Pros

Giving competitive salary.
    Good Working Environment

Cons

Parking space is small.
    need to move for another office.

"Company with good culture, great tech learning and challenging"

Pros

An effort to establish a culture that nurtures talent and innovation. An effort to make every employee feel to be a part of the company. An effort to constantly cultivate a culture where u r encouraged to take risks and not be afraid to commit mistakes .

Cons

As much as the effort is appreciated, also need to understand that this is not easy to achieve such a culture. It takes time and patience and tolerate some distasteful events. So we do see some up and downs during this journey.

Advice to Management

Also encourage a culture where constant feedback is being considered from employees and try to understand and address those . Some time things have to be communicated properly rather than leaving them to the intuition.

"Worst UX team, I have worked with in my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pune
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pune

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Timely salary,Good technology stack,Good products

Cons

Ux team, a group of low IQ people are hired to design the product under the leadership of a person with no common sense. They have zero understanding of the product. They also don't have any domain knowledge. I doubt they have ever worked on any successful product in their careers.
    They have zero understanding of usability of a
    web application.
    All they know about design is pixel and color.
    The mockups are provided to the UI developer and after finishing the work the mockups are changed not once, not twice, thirteen times. It shows their lack of common Sense.
    Behaviors are not provided to the developers via wireframes. They are given verbally and that too when developers ask about it and if that behavior lacks in usability they will lie on your face that they don't tell you to implement that behavior in front of product managers.
    Every designer in the team is a self proclaimed picaso and wants to make a module their masterpiece. Which is affecting the consistency of the product across the modules and when developers enquire why this is different than other modules they have standard answer "This is latest standard". I don't when will that standard will be standard
    Life of UI engineers are hell because of UX team. If you are a UI developer, join only after confirming that UX team is fired or not.

Advice to Management

Fire UX team and hire some gud UX experts with experience on successful products.

"Awesome place to learn and earn"

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just fantastic when it comes to work. You get to learn and do hands on latest tech stack. The scale challenge is enormous. Ownership is awesome. I talk with the PM directly even though I am only two years experienced. I can talk with the VP and Director directly for any suggestions I have.

The Operations team is in the same building. I get to see real time graphs of how the system is getting used and what issues exist in the design.

The trill is amazing. Even though there are some cons I list below.

Cons

Repetitions are numerous when it comes to requirements. This is mostly in the new products. It burns me sometimes. There's no budget for team lunches or parties.

Some old teams are doing monotonous work. My friend is unhappy, he may write a separate review.

Advice to Management

The PMs shall have clear picture in the first go. They shall not be allowed to burn people by constantly changing the requirements. Not all enjoy such repetitions.

"Live streaming of June 2018 - HR team getting fired one by one. Join if you are a risk taker."

Former Employee - Module Lead in Pune
    Former Employee - Module Lead in Pune

I worked at Qualys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Standing next to managers will make you feel lot better, confident and amusing.
    2. Those who leave Qualys have an amazing growth in life than those who join it. Proofs available.

Cons

The people missed by Karma hustle here

1. Little efforts are taken to control the gross misuse of power by the managers of engineering teams. They are very used to subserviance - a form of slavery that they feel own people and their time. Managers are supposed to take care of those in charge but at Qualys, people are made to work in unhappy work environments crippled by the unfit team environment.

In my case, we were colleagues of similar experience (Those with team handling experiences are strolled down), the other colleague was made manager overnight and all the damage started there on. Without the mindset of team leading and insecure attitude about others,managers mismanage everything under their regime. Releases being verified by testers asked to stop in between to make more code changes and testers asked to work on something else causing loss of time and hassles to everyone. Feature scoping is not decided by TAMs but managers themselves as if they know the customers in and out. Foolish line of thinking is evident when they delay things on their will and to satisfy their tall ego. Apps have passwords are saved in plaintext and shipped to customer and these are the top coders at Qualys ! Not 1 % of vision or release planning and we call them managers !!

The problem with managers is they are worrying about real performers in the team taking over. building the team is last thing on their mind. They make you attend calls at 11 PM IST, ask you to reach early to office,micromanage your time but themselves are late to office and callous. Its not product company anymore..Join a pure services company. You will grow and earn faster.

2. Managers themselves defines ETAs before developers visualise the integration work. No transparency of work on emails, appreciations are abstracted from the team, inputs are not taken from team members. way of treating people is the worst. People are hired exactly in the month of March/April right before manager's appraisal to get profit in the appraisal. Interview levels are skipped for close friends. Qualys doesnt care about its employees and promotes the wrong people. There is not a single team outing. Celebration is all about throwing a food bash. No emotional connect or bonding as such.

3. Integration deliveries are not delayed by few days but 7-8 months. Imagine the time to market delay when customers are looking for amazing releases every quarter. Reason - Trivial code repository issues that the manager slept on. Using Team Development for patches or versioning is not their technical acumen to understand which the world follows. Coding practices is what the managers decide and not documented. Technical documentation is what the managers decides right. And the credentials of managers - Absconded from prev companies,abusive and irresponsible, baiting colleagues for that one team lunch (as if the developers never went to a restaurant). Do not join this company if you are an experienced person. You will not be treated well or respected.

4. Developers who write bad half backed code,incomplete work are made managers due to inward politics of higher management who will write negative posts on social media, status messages on chat systems,share quotes on chat to make themselves better off ! Mediocrity = Qualys managers. Their mood swings set the happiness of your day. Rubs badly on company's image that HR has to urgently look into

5. No onsite opportunity to the smart hard working self motivated guys. Only fixed set of managers go abroad to suck up to the applauds that devs truly deserve ! Little if they could manage their team or inspire them by example, god would feel happy about creating such people.

6. Personal attacks, verbal accusations and starry tantrums are high points of managers here. Qualys doesnt care about your health or business ethics because they have played everything into the hands of managers and this has been the pain point throughout the last 2-3 years.

7. Forget happy life or team celebration . The managers here do not even have the ethics of talk straight or appreciate your work. Mangers themselves talk negative about the company to team members about facilities, hikes, stocks. They are leading others to gossip and false promises at hiring talking bad about other teams and US folks. Even a chameleon would be put to shame by these managers. They are too good in changing colours and abuse.

8. HR is itself under threat. High performing HR fired few weeks back. (was a star HR worked for 2.5 years at Qualys) due to the main HR nasty tricks wanting to bring his lobby. He is told in the morning about his last day today. ! You might too have this. Others are leaving too or asked to leave. Engineering folks are resigning too for safer shores. If you come across job openings, read between the lines - The positions were abused by managers for personal interests and you may have nervous breakdown working here. Do not join just looking the package. Decide before your fate is decided by them at later stage.

You wont stick around for more than a year. 2018 challenge thrown at you.

I resigned from Qualys without a job. I made peace with my inner self to detoxify the horrendous manager experience since past 4-5 months, gave interviews and got a great work position which makes me feel challenged and future looking. No company is 100 % good but no company can survive with poor managers. Its a silent death.

My current new employer is far better and standard. My current manager takes us for team bonding sessions, talks to us nicely and consistenly, take trips out of work, inspires us with pep talks, paid training programs, certified us internationally and makes up feel happy to be fit and excellent at work.

Not one thing from above was done by managers at Qualys. Even during notice period, managers are so arrogant to not even talk or look at you, such is the upbringing of these people and culture that they are part of. Smooth transition indeed !

Can Qualys Managers live up to the pay package that they eat up ? Only if the HR could take tough stand on managers, Qualys would not have earned such a disrepute off late in the IT circles of Pune. Better late than never.

Advice to Management

1. Fire loud, inefficient and abusive managers too as you do to the HR folks. Fire the managers who speak loudly, rudely, one-sidedly to staff. Verify each manager past credentials. they have ran way from past employers and hid facts. HR main is too nasty and arrogant. Attrition has hit all an time high.
    2. Managers have destroyed the security platform image of Qualys big time. Publicity and referals are not willing to hire you faster right. Get the managers into the line that is at par with professional standards.
    3. Allow quartely feedback of managers from each team member. They deserve a far better place to work. VP needs to understand that meeting of culprit managers is hiding the ground reality.Hear the victims instead.
    4. Qualys should develop people skills more often and recognise contributions at team level. Managers are sucking up the credit each time.