Qualys Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.2
Qualys Chairman and CEO Philippe Courtot
Philippe Courtot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work-life balance for anyone" (in 11 reviews)

• "We work on cutting edge technology and have a zero tolerance to underperformance as it puts the brand at risk and large organisations count on us" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need to learn from competitors where they hire from about work life balance policies" (in 7 reviews)

• "When you put the mail for work from home, You may be received reply personally that what kind of work you have to do so apply for leave" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work life balance
    2. Better technology exposure

Cons

1. Can't find anything as of now

"Sr. SQA Engineer"

I have been working at Qualys full-time

Pros

Giving competitive salary.
    Good Working Environment

Cons

Parking space is small.
    need to move for another office.

"Company with good culture, great tech learning and challenging"

Pros

An effort to establish a culture that nurtures talent and innovation. An effort to make every employee feel to be a part of the company. An effort to constantly cultivate a culture where u r encouraged to take risks and not be afraid to commit mistakes .

Cons

As much as the effort is appreciated, also need to understand that this is not easy to achieve such a culture. It takes time and patience and tolerate some distasteful events. So we do see some up and downs during this journey.

Advice to Management

Also encourage a culture where constant feedback is being considered from employees and try to understand and address those . Some time things have to be communicated properly rather than leaving them to the intuition.

"Worst UX team, I have worked with in my career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pune
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pune

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Timely salary,Good technology stack,Good products

Cons

Ux team, a group of low IQ people are hired to design the product under the leadership of a person with no common sense. They have zero understanding of the product. They also don't have any domain knowledge. I doubt they have ever worked on any successful product in their careers.
    They have zero understanding of usability of a
    web application.
    All they know about design is pixel and color.
    The mockups are provided to the UI developer and after finishing the work the mockups are changed not once, not twice, thirteen times. It shows their lack of common Sense.
    Behaviors are not provided to the developers via wireframes. They are given verbally and that too when developers ask about it and if that behavior lacks in usability they will lie on your face that they don't tell you to implement that behavior in front of product managers.
    Every designer in the team is a self proclaimed picaso and wants to make a module their masterpiece. Which is affecting the consistency of the product across the modules and when developers enquire why this is different than other modules they have standard answer "This is latest standard". I don't when will that standard will be standard
    Life of UI engineers are hell because of UX team. If you are a UI developer, join only after confirming that UX team is fired or not.

Advice to Management

Fire UX team and hire some gud UX experts with experience on successful products.

"Awesome place to learn and earn"

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just fantastic when it comes to work. You get to learn and do hands on latest tech stack. The scale challenge is enormous. Ownership is awesome. I talk with the PM directly even though I am only two years experienced. I can talk with the VP and Director directly for any suggestions I have.

The Operations team is in the same building. I get to see real time graphs of how the system is getting used and what issues exist in the design.

The trill is amazing. Even though there are some cons I list below.

Cons

Repetitions are numerous when it comes to requirements. This is mostly in the new products. It burns me sometimes. There's no budget for team lunches or parties.

Some old teams are doing monotonous work. My friend is unhappy, he may write a separate review.

Advice to Management

The PMs shall have clear picture in the first go. They shall not be allowed to burn people by constantly changing the requirements. Not all enjoy such repetitions.

"Live streaming of June 2018 - HR team getting fired one by one. Join if you are a risk taker."

Former Employee - Module Lead in Pune
    Former Employee - Module Lead in Pune

I worked at Qualys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Standing next to managers will make you feel lot better, confident and amusing.
    2. Those who leave Qualys have an amazing growth in life than those who join it. Proofs available.

Cons

The people missed by Karma hustle here

1. Little efforts are taken to control the gross misuse of power by the managers of engineering teams. They are very used to subserviance - a form of slavery that they feel own people and their time. Managers are supposed to take care of those in charge but at Qualys, people are made to work in unhappy work environments crippled by the unfit team environment.

In my case, we were colleagues of similar experience (Those with team handling experiences are strolled down), the other colleague was made manager overnight and all the damage started there on. Without the mindset of team leading and insecure attitude about others,managers mismanage everything under their regime. Releases being verified by testers asked to stop in between to make more code changes and testers asked to work on something else causing loss of time and hassles to everyone. Feature scoping is not decided by TAMs but managers themselves as if they know the customers in and out. Foolish line of thinking is evident when they delay things on their will and to satisfy their tall ego. Apps have passwords are saved in plaintext and shipped to customer and these are the top coders at Qualys ! Not 1 % of vision or release planning and we call them managers !!

The problem with managers is they are worrying about real performers in the team taking over. building the team is last thing on their mind. They make you attend calls at 11 PM IST, ask you to reach early to office,micromanage your time but themselves are late to office and callous. Its not product company anymore..Join a pure services company. You will grow and earn faster.

2. Managers themselves defines ETAs before developers visualise the integration work. No transparency of work on emails, appreciations are abstracted from the team, inputs are not taken from team members. way of treating people is the worst. People are hired exactly in the month of March/April right before manager's appraisal to get profit in the appraisal. Interview levels are skipped for close friends. Qualys doesnt care about its employees and promotes the wrong people. There is not a single team outing. Celebration is all about throwing a food bash. No emotional connect or bonding as such.

3. Integration deliveries are not delayed by few days but 7-8 months. Imagine the time to market delay when customers are looking for amazing releases every quarter. Reason - Trivial code repository issues that the manager slept on. Using Team Development for patches or versioning is not their technical acumen to understand which the world follows. Coding practices is what the managers decide and not documented. Technical documentation is what the managers decides right. And the credentials of managers - Absconded from prev companies,abusive and irresponsible, baiting colleagues for that one team lunch (as if the developers never went to a restaurant). Do not join this company if you are an experienced person. You will not be treated well or respected.

4. Developers who write bad half backed code,incomplete work are made managers due to inward politics of higher management who will write negative posts on social media, status messages on chat systems,share quotes on chat to make themselves better off ! Mediocrity = Qualys managers. Their mood swings set the happiness of your day. Rubs badly on company's image that HR has to urgently look into

5. No onsite opportunity to the smart hard working self motivated guys. Only fixed set of managers go abroad to suck up to the applauds that devs truly deserve ! Little if they could manage their team or inspire them by example, god would feel happy about creating such people.

6. Personal attacks, verbal accusations and starry tantrums are high points of managers here. Qualys doesnt care about your health or business ethics because they have played everything into the hands of managers and this has been the pain point throughout the last 2-3 years.

7. Forget happy life or team celebration . The managers here do not even have the ethics of talk straight or appreciate your work. Mangers themselves talk negative about the company to team members about facilities, hikes, stocks. They are leading others to gossip and false promises at hiring talking bad about other teams and US folks. Even a chameleon would be put to shame by these managers. They are too good in changing colours and abuse.

8. HR is itself under threat. High performing HR fired few weeks back. (was a star HR worked for 2.5 years at Qualys) due to the main HR nasty tricks wanting to bring his lobby. He is told in the morning about his last day today. ! You might too have this. Others are leaving too or asked to leave. Engineering folks are resigning too for safer shores. If you come across job openings, read between the lines - The positions were abused by managers for personal interests and you may have nervous breakdown working here. Do not join just looking the package. Decide before your fate is decided by them at later stage.

You wont stick around for more than a year. 2018 challenge thrown at you.

I resigned from Qualys without a job. I made peace with my inner self to detoxify the horrendous manager experience since past 4-5 months, gave interviews and got a great work position which makes me feel challenged and future looking. No company is 100 % good but no company can survive with poor managers. Its a silent death.

My current new employer is far better and standard. My current manager takes us for team bonding sessions, talks to us nicely and consistenly, take trips out of work, inspires us with pep talks, paid training programs, certified us internationally and makes up feel happy to be fit and excellent at work.

Not one thing from above was done by managers at Qualys. Even during notice period, managers are so arrogant to not even talk or look at you, such is the upbringing of these people and culture that they are part of. Smooth transition indeed !

Can Qualys Managers live up to the pay package that they eat up ? Only if the HR could take tough stand on managers, Qualys would not have earned such a disrepute off late in the IT circles of Pune. Better late than never.

Advice to Management

1. Fire loud, inefficient and abusive managers too as you do to the HR folks. Fire the managers who speak loudly, rudely, one-sidedly to staff. Verify each manager past credentials. they have ran way from past employers and hid facts. HR main is too nasty and arrogant. Attrition has hit all an time high.
    2. Managers have destroyed the security platform image of Qualys big time. Publicity and referals are not willing to hire you faster right. Get the managers into the line that is at par with professional standards.
    3. Allow quartely feedback of managers from each team member. They deserve a far better place to work. VP needs to understand that meeting of culprit managers is hiding the ground reality.Hear the victims instead.
    4. Qualys should develop people skills more often and recognise contributions at team level. Managers are sucking up the credit each time.

"good per learning perspective"

I have been working at Qualys full-time

Pros

good work. can learn lot things

Cons

very bad management. Manager level employees are not good

Advice to Management

no use

"Use and throw employee strategy. More work and less growth."

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for freshers , learn good things to imbibe and bad things to avoid.
    90 % of the people are here for stocks (I am one of them). Rest 10 % are the favorites of top leadership.
    Flexible timings

Cons

- Hopeless top management and arrogant managers and product execs. Not a happy place to spend the time here doing your best at work.
    - Low salary hikes 8 to 12 % in past 2 years even for highly exceptional performers
    - Family owned business and owner treat employees as slaves, no escalation system. Selfish, fame blinded directors, don't join at any cost.
    - Have respect not just for quality employee but for all. Character is how you treat people who dont bring profits. It ethics and humanity.
    - No real product development work. Maintenance projects are there.
    - HR and sales team are worst and arrogant. Wont fulfill their promises.
    - Mid level managers are failing the company and just eating into the company revenue
    - Poor appraisal system and lukewarm growth , Decision makers are unfriendly and have way too much attitude for no ethics and knowledge.

Advice to Management

Nothing you will force ALL managers to introspect their fake faces and wrong deeds. Do not over trust your so called middle management, have 360 review system and follow religiously.

The middle level managers are pathetic. They act like a hurdle in ones growth. The goods of the top management do not percolate to the bottom due to few lobby of manager level staff who fear their presence might be in danger if manager level person can showcase their talent. Managers fear what few engineers might become so they stunt their growth with mean tactics.
    HR management should replace all the senior staff who are sitting ideal and stealing credit.

There are people with 10 years of experience coding and 9 years of experience as managers. Relations with HR and product leadership matter for growth but not smart work. Sad but true fact at Qualys

I am looking out for a new job and might be out of Qualys soon due to manager high handedness, limited growth and disrespectful treatment for all the good work I have been doing since past 1 year.

"Good Company"

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good company, latest technology, less space

Cons

less space, less compensation, new managment

"Join only if you are out of options or don't have other offers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pune

I have been working at Qualys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria is great but you will never get free time to spend there. Quite a Stable product. Cab allowance

Cons

Micromanagement - this is the worst, very high work load, self obsessed people, trainings suck, Everytime they are out of budget, too many process, almost every day you will be asked to extend your shift in order to compete with the work load, managers will call/mail/ping you even when you are off shift or on your weekend or holidays, stressful environment, you will feel as if you are working in a very small company or a startup. Will never ever ever ever!!!! recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanagement, reduce the process, hire a proper team for documentation and creating KB's, don't treat employees as they are your slaves.