Ruffer Reviews

Updated 19 Jan 2021

4.4
Ruffer Chief Executive  Clemmie Vaughan (no image)
Clemmie Vaughan
  1. "Great place to work"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Associate in London, England

I worked at Ruffer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good culture, benefits and atmosphere

Cons

Lighting in the office is poor

Continue reading
  2. "Sustainable growth"

Former Employee - Investment Associate in London, England

I worked at Ruffer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is embracing opportunities to grow internationally

Cons

Some opacity on promotional framework

3. "collegiate atmosphere"

Current Employee - Investment Associate in London, England

I have been working at Ruffer full-time

Pros

- very friendly employees - supportive in early training/exams etc - good work life balance

Cons

- too much office politics - quite a lot of 'group think' and autocratic decision making - lack of diversity - progression and compensation appear to be very dependent on immediate team and line manager rather than an individuals ability. A few people have moved on for this reason

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Ruffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lovely environment, great on mental health and benefits etc. Family feel kept in a growing company. Really look after staff

Cons

Career progression unclear to staff that are not investment focused

August 3, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for your comments. We have made a conscious effort to improve the support we provide to support mental and physical well being in the current Covid-19 pandemic. The comments about career progression are very helpful and we will include in our future work.

"Getting too corporate losing what made it great"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ruffer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, people, an honest business

Cons

No growth potential unless you’re one of the chosen few

August 3, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for your review and comments. We are keen to introduce new talent processes to help provide our team members with opportunities to develop in their current role or move into a future role. Hopefully as we progress with this work it will change your experience of working at Ruffer.

6. "Friendly company"

Current Employee - Technology Business Manager in London, England

I have been working at Ruffer full-time

Pros

Good work life balance encouraged

Cons

Small company limited opportunities for career growth in some areas

7. COVID-19

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Ruffer full-time

Pros

Ruffer is an amazing place to work, I cannot fault them at all yet they still strive to improve and make changes to benefit their staff/clients. I came to Ruffer after working for both small/boutique and extremely large firms. I would say Ruffer is somewhere in the middle but most would consider small. Although they are growing and have a 300+ headcount, there is definitely a strong “family” feel here. I once heard a colleague tell a graduate starter that they almost wish that the graduate had experienced another firm to fully appreciate the work environment of Ruffer. The London office is a completely open office plan, with the partners/seniors sitting amongst everyone, which makes a huge difference. Ruffer is a team, there is no finger pointing or crazy office politics - Ruffer works together through the good and the bad. Everyone’s strengths are recognised. Management takes the time to praise achievements and encourage growth. People take the time to get to know you on a personal level. At Ruffer it is not underestimated what a difference it makes to motivation having even the smallest job well done recognised. Management genuinely cares about their staff’s wellbeing. In previous work environments I have been made to feel guilty if having to take a day off due to illness or personal reasons. With illness I have had my team supervisor, line manager and team supervisors reach out to me on my return, to make sure I am ok and ask if there is anything they/Ruffer can do to help. The way in which they transitioned into a working from home company during the COVID-19 lockdown was incredible. Everyone pulled together, they invested further in their technology and still continue to focus on their staff’s wellbeing whilst adjusting to the changes. I am proud to be a part of Ruffer and look forward to the innovative changes and progress I know they will continue to make for their staff and clients.

Cons

None I can think to add

August 3, 2020Head of HR

We are delighted that you are enjoying working at Ruffer. Thank you for your comments and contribution to making Ruffer an amazing place to work.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ruffer full-time

Pros

Really friendly and close-knit culture. Everyone’s contribution has an impact and will get noticed, whether in a client facing or a support role I'm sure no one ever feels like a cog in a wheel and I for sure haven't.

Cons

At times slow to pioneer new ways and set industry benchmarks

"Caring financial firm"

Current Employee - Client Associate in London, England

I have been working at Ruffer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Look after staff at ALL levels, Chairman ensures he mingles with staff, transparent to all staff on what firm is doing, inclusive and fun. Big on personal development, even if nothing to do with your business area

Cons

Growing too fast IT systems an issue

January 20, 2020Head of HR

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are glad you enjoy working at Ruffer. Rapid growth always comes with challenges and we are working hard to improve our systems and processes to support this growth.

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Ruffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family vibe Social Moving in the right direction

Cons

Support teams are forgotten about.

August 27, 2019Interim Head of HR

Thank you for your review. We work hard to create a strong team culture so we have taken your feedback on board.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 English Reviews