SCRA Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

SCRA Reviews

Updated 17 Jul 2019

3.8
SCRA Executive Director Bob Quinn  (no image)
Bob Quinn
0 Rating
  1. "Decent"

Former Employee - Tool Room Attendant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at SCRA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Four day work week, friendly environment

Cons

Upper Management does not communicate.

Advice to Management

Value employees more.

SCRA2019-07-17
  2. "Applied R&D"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in North Charleston, SC

I worked at SCRA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Focus is on federally-funded Applied R&D projects Competitive salary and benefits packages Provide financial support for training and certifications such as PMP Half of the workforce are veterans

Cons

Many jobs are contract dependent and you may need to follow the contract Boeing acquired the site and SCRA/ATI are now in Summerville

Advice to Management

Rating of senior management dates to my tenure. I decline to make recommendations to management on a public site. The departure of the long term CEO left after a long standing differences with members of the board was a positive thing.

SCRA2016-12-31
  3. "Good Company, Poor Culture"

in Summerville, SC

I worked at SCRA

Pros

Established government contractor with strong procedures. The work consisted of some very interesting programs but minimal technical work is actually completed by SCRA.

Cons

Very poor culture. There was no interaction amongst employees and no desire to create a relationship outside of work. The social benefits are minimal at best. There are no team building activities outside of work, no Christmas party, etc. They function more as a government entity than a private contractor due to their initial funding by the state in the 1980s (besides the large bonuses to upper management. No bouses to any other employees). The corporate mentality is to come in, do your work, and leave. Due to the established procedures there's no interpretation on how to complete a task but only a structured policy. This doesn't give you the ability to streamline your tasking if you find a more efficient and effective way to conduct business. If you prefer to follow the same steps over and over in your job with no creativity this is the place for you. If you're entrepreneurial and try to drive success to your business unit with innovative tactics you will quickly find that mentality frowned upon. Lastly, if you're searching for a talented workforce why would you move your offices out to Summerville? This makes it impossible to compete with the tech companies located closer to Charleston.

Advice to Management

You have a mold for the type of employee you're looking for and that's fine. However, there is a big culture issue within the company that needs to be addressed. An element of social needs to be integrated besides the annual pot lucks around the Superbowl and thanksgiving. There's a lack of trust between the employees and management that stems from the culture created over the past couple decades.

SCRA2016-05-12
  4. "Internship"

I worked at SCRA

Pros

The people of the company is what makes the place so special. You can tell that everyone working enjoys their job. Great leadership and facilities.

Cons

Nothing pops into my mind that can be a con. My experience was phenomenal and gave me much insight and experience.

SCRA2015-10-08
  5. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Summerville, SC

I have been working at SCRA full-time

Pros

Wonderfully, intelligent people work for SCRA. Great HR team!

Cons

Little focus given on systems to make work and information management easier.

Advice to Management

Implement a collaborative work environment and strong vision for information systems.

SCRA2015-07-15
  6. "SCRA is a dynamic, fast-paced workplace."

I have been working at SCRA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a great place to work. The work we do is important and makes a difference. The people here are hard working and dedicated as well as smart and fun.

Cons

If you are not used to a dynamic, fast-paced work environment then this could be a difficult challenge for you to work here. There are high expectations and having a strong work ethic and self-starter attitude is a plus.

Advice to Management

Management here has been making efforts to invest more in the people and culture of the company to continue to build a team atmosphere. I would say keep it up- it's great to get to know coworkers from different areas and with different capabilities.

SCRA2015-04-03
  7. "Great place to work long term."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summerville, SC

I have been working at SCRA full-time

Pros

Very good benefits especially the retirement match and retirement account options; Good work/life balance; High performance organization that makes a difference in SC.

Cons

Difficult culture and differences between internal groups requires some effort to learn in order to be successful.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees and continue to require them to perform. The employees at SCRA are above average and have a great deal to contribute - some are future leaders and will take SCRA into the next decade.

SCRA2014-12-22
  8. "Great work environment and opportunities if you're willing to prove yourself"

Anonymous
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at SCRA

Pros

Co-workers are some of the most professional, intelligent, hard-working and friendliest people. A lot of thought goes into selecting the right person for the job. Positive work performance is definitely recognized here through a plethora of fringe benefits such as giftcards, flexible work schedules and through annual performance reviews. The retirement plan is the best I've ever participated in and starting out you are able to accrue PTO at a decent rate. The Company cares about the community and actively participates in events such as the American Heart Walk, annual Toys for Tots drive and offers an Employee Volunteer Program which offers 8-paid hours to full-time employees to go volunteer, just to name a few.

Cons

Divisions are pretty siloed, which leads to my next point of leaner processes are lacking and cycle times can, at times, be overly lengthy. Communication could be more clear on future needs as it relates to career path.

Advice to Management

Put more thought and planning into the talent you have and not just in how you want to use it for the short-term. At times it's unclear what the opportunities are.

SCRA2014-12-19
  9. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summerville, SC

I have been working at SCRA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SCRA cares about their employees and has great benefits.

Cons

None that I can think of.

SCRA2014-12-18
  10. "Admissions Presenter"

I have been working at SCRA full-time

Pros

You work the hours of a High School student, so you are normally done working by 3PM. We are also given about 2 months during summer off.

Cons

Micro-managed, and unrealistic sales goals.

SCRA2014-07-23