SUGARFISH Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.2
Kazunori Nozawa

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Money, Money, Money"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up
    Great money, better than most of the industry

Cons

You will only succeed if you make your job your life. If you are looking for balance between work and your social life, look elsewhere. Used to be a very family feeling place to work, however as the company grew larger, turned into a typical corporation. You will feel overworked and underappreciated, at every level from entry to upper management.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that your employees grew your company to the empire that it is today. Your employees are people, not machines.

2. "The company doesn’t care"

Current Employee - Host/Food Runner in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Host/Food Runner in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at SUGARFISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays decently for the work

Cons

It’s seems like a great job at first because it’s pretty simple work, but after working there for about 5 months I realize that the company doesn’t care about their employees at all. They also expect you to memorize an entire handbook of questions that “customers might ask you” that you have to memorize word for word that usually never comes, and if you get too many wrong you get a write up. You also have so many managers that talk down to you. Overall the experience is not worth the pay.

Advice to Management

Care more we’re not just numbers

3. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

Great average pay
    Insurance benefits
    Opportunity for growth

Cons

Scheduling
    Only paid little more compared to being a server

Advice to Management

Better schedule or pay

4. "Seriously?"

Former Employee - FOH in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - FOH in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and isn’t dependent on tips, so you know exactly what you’ll walk away with. 50% off of the sushi...that’s about it.

Cons

For starters, seriously? I understand having pride in what you do, but the pressure here is crazy for no reason. They take themselves insanely seriously and are not a friendly company. The managers and GM’s are cold, rude, and unprofessional. I’ve worked in many restaurants and during my training week alone I felt so berated I cried more than once. Also - when you start in the company you are usually hired as a “floater”, meaning you will float amongst locations on any given day and your schedule will change every week. You will have one day off, but other than that you are either scheduled or have to be available to come in until a certain time of the day. Once again...seriously? How is anyone supposed to plan anything? You can’t even schedule a dentist appointment. When you request off for one day for this purpose or another, you’re told it’s “not promised”. My first week of work an employee who had been there for 1+ year told me “SugarFish has to be your life if you want to work here”. The whole environment is so negative and toxic. Would warn anyone who looks for a positive workplace that cares about their employees and anyone who has a life to stay far away.

Advice to Management

Just because a manager or GM has been with your company for a long time doesn’t mean they are best for your company. Have a really high turnover rate? Check how your employees are being treated by their direct reports.

5. "Good Company, High expectations"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

Good Salary
    Good Benefits
    Team structure
    Lots of growth, high turnover rate

Cons

Work like a slave
    High expectations from Upper management
    some management favortism
    a lot of brown nosing customers
    high turnover rate
    not flexible schedule

6. "FOH"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay. That's about it. 27/hr for servers. Also you can move up quickly if you put in the hours.

Cons

Memorizing ridiculous speeches, random pop quizzes on the speeches, having to feel like you need to cover shifts on your off days to move up in the company, they make you feel bad if you can't cover a shift, they ALWAYS called on my days off for me to come in. Also during the midday shift it was only one sever and the manager and of course the manager did nothing so really it was one person doing everything. You need to have more people on a shift. The GM's are creepy and make you feel uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap. You guys make so much money and it would be helpful to have an extra person on a shift.

7. "It is what it is"

I worked at SUGARFISH part-time

Pros

The pay is slightly higher since they use a bonus system instead of tips

Cons

Always understaffed, difficult to get time off or shifts covered, written up/penalized for every ridiculous thing including if people dine and dash.

Advice to Management

Fairness and compassion are values that people care about. Even if everything's about money at least try to pretend like it's not.

8. "It's alright"

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

Easy, not difficult friendly staff

Cons

No communication need to communicate with employees more

Advice to Management

More communication

9. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Hollywood, CA (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Hollywood, CA (US)

I worked at SUGARFISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great pay (start is around 60k)
    -2 consecutive days off (sunday & monday)
    -Raise every year (no more holiday bonus 5-K10K maybe more but that depends on your score)
    -Great benefits (401k, health, dental, paid vacation, 5 sick days/yr)
    -Network
    -1 free meal when you work
    -1.5 hr break and leave early 3/5 days.

Cons

- No tips so they are able to take your "bonus" away (usually makes up about half your pay) where does the bonus go when it's taken away?

-Long hours (11am-10pm) Last seating at 10pm.

-Enforce rules yet it's not (no seating incomplete parties, no extra sauce/condiments) yet when the guests try to break it, GM's enforce it and if they complain to the Regional or owners, GM's are the ones in trouble for not making an exception for them.

-They "investigate" every little complaint they get even yelp reviews which can be good but when you know it's exaggerated, they still will have a hard time trusting you.

-FAVORITISM. this goes for most companies but it's very apparent here. EVERY person is scored 1-10 based on performance, attitude, and knowledge of the handbook . the only way a host can get promoted is if their average score is above an 8 for 3 months. they claim to promote based on that but the RM's are scoring everyone. GM's submit scores twice a month but if our scores do not line up with RM's, GM's have to adjust theirs. Supposedly seniority never had a play in promotions but when it comes down to a group of candidates for 1 spot, they will always choose who they want so simply put, FAVORITISM.

-Regional Managers. Some of them are fair and reasonable but others are TERRIBLE.

-shift covers. they have a "3 hour rule" when it comes to calling in sick. If it's within 3 hours of your shift, you must provide a dr's note to say you can return to work. If it's more than 3 hours before, they are scot free. after everyone learned about this, someone seems to be sick everyday. During my last few months there, we were 1 person short almost every shift. (every location)

-understaffed. They say the "numbers" show there does not need to be an increase in staff (labor has to be around 15%) yet most complaints are about service and how we were not able to attend to their needs. When i asked about adding an extra person, especially on the weekends, they sometimes laugh at you and compare your store to busier locations. I wonder why the busier locations have such high turnover rates? even the GM's in the busier locations has had a high turnover.

-if you eat any leftover food or take home a togo that has not been picked up at the end of the night, we have to trash it. there's a lot of wasted food at the end of the day when they easily can help others. If you get caught doing any of those i mentioned, you will get fired immediately.

-handbook. it is very extensive and they require everyone to MEMORIZE it like it's a school. Most of these kids are in school and this job is only a stepping stone. There are others who make this a career and will study which means the ones that are hired earlier have a harder time studying will be kept behind as a host. The ones that want to make it a career will get promoted to a server almost instantly.

-they watch you on their cameras. The days we have to be in the store for 12+ hours with no break can get very rough. they say we have midday to take a "break" but sometimes it's too busy to sit. I would try to at least rest a little later but because the restaurant is consistently busy, they make you go back on the floor with no rest.

-vacation days. 10 days for the first 5 years. You must request these days WEEKS or even MONTHS in advance but they will not give you an answer until a week or two before. It was very hard planning trips ESP if you wanted to fly out of the country.

Advice to Management

You guys need to relax a little. Hear us out when we talk to you but really listen. stop this favoritism or else your turnover rate will consistently be high. staff up on some days rather than having to create a new schedule. GM's should have the right to add a staff member for 1 shift here and there if they are predicting a busy shift rather than frowned upon. You used to allow it but it must be the corporate structure. Do something with leftover food rather than trashing it when there are so many people starving out there. Give GM's a little more breathing room and not be so strict on the scores/handbook which results in a high turnover. STOP FAVORITISM!!!

10. "Good"

I have been working at SUGARFISH full-time

Pros

Well pay, cleanses, organizations, employee friendly

Cons

Stressful, everything else is good