Sulzer Hickham Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Sulzer Hickham Reviews

Updated 27 Sep 2019

4.0
Sulzer Hickham President Darayus Pardivala (no image)
Darayus Pardivala
  1. "Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Porte, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many opportunities for both hourly and salaried career paths. Many employees have 15+ years with the company. Compensation and benefits are fantastic. They really care about the health and well being of the employees.

Cons

Some position may have long hours but employees are well compensated.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You have made this a very successful business.

Sulzer Hickham2019-09-27
  2. "THE PEOPLE OF SULZER ARE OUR STREGNTH!"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing and Communications, RES AME in La Porte, TX

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The biggest pro of working at Sulzer is our people. While we offer high-quality and cutting-edge products and services, the people behind this are Sulzer's biggest strength. Sulzer is a great company to work for and have great people working for the company.

Cons

As with any company, there are always pros and cons. Sulzer runs a lean and efficient company so we stay really busy. This is actually a pro for me because I have had the opportunity to grow and learn so much. Because we are lean, there are so many opportunities to get involved in projects that reach across the globe. I have really enjoyed this about Sulzer.

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is not really advice, but an observation. There is a wealth of talented and innovative people at Sulzer. I think there is always room at any company to support this.

Sulzer Hickham2019-09-18
  3. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Engineer in La Porte, TX

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham full-time

Pros

Numerous opportunities - if you want to tackle a project it will be happily handed to you. As an engineer, you will see and get to work with a wide variety of equipment and processes.

Cons

Production, especially within Core doesnt allocate enough resources towards growth and process improvement. Every asset is squeezed into customer projects. If youre not growing, youre dying.

Sulzer Hickham2019-09-18
  4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Welder in La Porte, TX

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

plenty of overtime, chance to learn about all kinds of rotating equipment, great people to work with and for.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are demanding, but Sulzer is a service business.

Advice to Management

Try to bring back the family environment like it used to be.

Sulzer Hickham2019-09-17
  5. "Not just a great place to work, but a place to build a Career!"

Current Employee - Employee in La Porte, TX

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job security. Sulzer has been around a long time and will stay around until after I'm gone. Future Growth of the company is strong . If you put in the time it will be worth your effort.

Cons

Some growing pains, but as always you have to grow to get better.

Advice to Management

Continue to build upon our strengths, listen to the new ideas when posed and learn from the past.

Sulzer Hickham2019-09-17
  6. "Component Department"

Former Employee - Component in La Porte, TX

I worked at Sulzer Hickham full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of overtime! But to the point it probably is a con. Great exposure to some cool technology. But you are repairing other people’s equipment.

Cons

“Good ol boys”. If you aren’t management you will be treated poorly. Nicknames are more like put downs. Girls are pieces of meet to management. Borderline un ethical data - two faced managers.

Advice to Management

Mid level managers - no advice, they’re too far gone. Execs - to be honest i think they only care for their bonuses. Not once did an executive come by and thank the department or try to boost morale. I think one VP walked through and then ratted people out on their cell phones. I guess that’s where the mid level managers get it. Be a motivated! A new school leader. No one wants to work in your current environment.

Sulzer Hickham2018-07-24
  7. "There is good and bad"

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham

Pros

They offered me an opportunity to dig my teeth into an exciting new field that holds my interests deeply, paid my training and certificates, love the work and what I was working on...at least while work lasts

Cons

Supposedly have all these jobs lined up but can't put me on any of them, I grew rusty and dull sitting on unemployment and working little kid jobs for 15+ months at a time to survive the long layoffs, asked to be pushed into the shop in the down time so I can keep learning but because a family member works in one of the shops they were worried about "nepotism" Yet there are multiple large family dynasties within the company and within even the same shops, like the Powers for instance...there's a lot of overtime being paid that could be alleviated if they brought some local field hands in to supplement the shop

Advice to Management

Not sure I know where or how to criticize, perhaps if you hire a green hand you can work them at the shop when there is down time in the field so they don't become rusty, this field is absolutely fascinating, I love the work I did there but how can one build and learn this career if they don't hear or do anything connected to it for months or years at a time?

Sulzer Hickham2016-09-27
  8. "ok"

in Spokane, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham for more than a year

Pros

Steady work,good pay,lots of overtime. People were good to work with and easy to get along with. Located in good area.

Cons

12 hour days 7 days a week are hard on employees. Unorganized planning . Management in my section was not that good.

Advice to Management

Get your ordering correct for tooling on the jobs that are run that you know are coming up months before they are run. Don't waste time having employees looking for tools and tooling.

Sulzer Hickham2015-07-03
  9. "World class company"

I have been working at Sulzer Hickham full-time

Pros

Well paid, safe and clean workplace. People are very helpful. Pay for performance. People are treated very fairly and benefits are very good. Top Management cares about the people

Cons

Industry demands long hours at times, with paid overtime. Middle management sometimes push a bit much - maybe it's because of high customer pressure in the industry

Advice to Management

Keep training the middle management

Sulzer Hickham2015-06-14

"Change in management during the last 3 years, hostile workplace for many departments."

Former Employee - Worked In Core Shop in La Porte, TX

I worked at Sulzer Hickham full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros - If your unemployed and need a job, it's better than being broke . - If you are in upper management, administration, or HR you don't face most of the cons - A other few select pockets are still good places to work within the site, but they are shrinking and disappearing slowly.

Cons

- Upper Management takes no responsibility, displaces blame on employees - Extreme lack of respect and poor treatment - Lack of recognition and compensation for even the most outstanding performance - Low to modest pay for your position - Extreme lack of efficiency and poor workflows/communication - Management keeps shaving benefits from middle management and lower - Management removed people and tools from our team, added responsibilities, and raised expectations of produced work, tell me how that works. - Worked over 70 hours in a week at times, overtime was a constant. - Overtime was constant for many months at a time. - Constantly understaffed. - Management doesn't even know the jobs of the employees it manages in many cases, at times even being called out by each other for their extreme lack of knowledge of the very work flows they are managing. - Anonymous tip line has gotten people fired, if this isn't a red flag I don't know what is. - Sexual harassment of female employees is quite common and HR has worked hard to prevent multiple lawsuits. - Company has already lost many key players in the last year, people who may not have the positions but were the movers and shakers within the company. 6+ employees of this caliber from many different departments have been lost in the last year alone. - Within my stay there I got to see them get fined for not reporting over 100 separate accidents and also not following safety regulations regarding equipment and chemicals, even including Hexavalent Chromium (google it). -Corporate headquarters seems to have no idea how bad the situation has gotten, considering the numbers manipulation I've seen first hand I can only assume they are being sent faulty numbers.

Advice to Management

Your employees ARE your company. Treat them well and with respect if they are doing their job well. Morale was so low people were leaving constantly, and it continues to be extremely low. Throughout the complex the morale and the efficiency of various departments has degraded rapidly under the abuse that has been levied at them and despite being so bad it was affecting people's home life significantly it still has not bottomed out. You're not just making your own life more comfortable, you are destroying some of your employees lives even away from work with the stress you are putting them under. Keep that in mind. You used to be a good place to work, make it so once again.

Sulzer Hickham2015-02-15