TaskRabbit Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Stacy Brown-Philpot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Awesome culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at TaskRabbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here at TaskRabbit is really special. They care a lot about being neighborly, providing awesome food & snacks, bringing everyone's strengths & opinions into the room, etc. The Leadership Team also seems quite thoughtful, mature, and supports work/family/life integration.

Cons

I haven't found any cons so far!

Advice to Management

keep it up!

16 May 2018 – VP of Operations

We are so happy you are enjoying your time at TaskRabbit. Yup, the food and snacks are great, but I agree with you that the best part is how each individual is celebrated for who they are and what... More

"So many opportunities"

I have been working at TaskRabbit full-time

Pros

When I was interviewing for my role at TaskRabbit, I kept wondering if all the down to earth, happy people were for real. Seriously, I kept looking for the cracks in the culture, the in-fighting or politics. But I didn't see it. And I still don't. I am so glad that I chose to join this company because of the focus on teamwork here. For instance, the engineering and product team actually cares what kinds of feedback customer service is hearing from clients and Taskers, and they actively work on features to fix it. I've seen engineers sit down and shadow a CS person, and then come up with really elegant solutions. Likewise, the Growth team pitches in to help the Tasker Operations team, and so on and so forth. And Finance, Legal and HR are there supporting it all.

I'm also proud of the work we are doing. I see and hear stories of Taskers whose lives are improved because they can work when they want, set their own rates based on their own skills, and succeed. It feels good to know that we are helping shape the gig economy in a way that is good for the Tasker, and the client.

And then there are the amazing events put on by our culture committee and speakers brought in by our leadership team. In the past month, we had Brad Smith the CEO of Intuit and Angela Duckworth the author of Grit to speak to us, AND all employees in the SF office got free tickets to see Michelle Obama speak at Oracle Arena, because our own CEO Stacy was the one moderating. Pretty cool.

Cons

We are growing and moving really fast. With that comes some disorganization, and pain. And to some, changes that are hard.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on diversity, inclusion and doing right by our customers (clients and Taskers) and employees. Keep asking us our opinion. Thanks.

"I LOVE TASKRABBIT"

I have been working at TaskRabbit full-time

Pros

TaskRabbit is a family environment - everyone truly cares about each other, and we work so well cross-functionally. The office culture is incredibly positive - everyone is encouraged to share ideas, be their own person, and innovate. Benefits are also amazing!!

Cons

None at this time to report.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!

26 Mar 2018 – VP of Operations

We love to hear this feedback! Thank you for being a great part of the TaskRabbit culture.

"Stay away"

I have been working at TaskRabbit full-time

Pros

Pretty good culture and overall vibe.

Cons

One big point of working for a start-up is to get equity but new hires do not get that. And the salaries are less than the competition. So the people we have hired do not seem the best and most qualified.

but they are really struggling to deal with the IKEA acquisition. Everything moves really slowly now with so much more bureaucracy. Morale has also gone down a lot. It seems like senior leadership does not care.

Advice to Management

Management does not provide growth opportunities or really show that they care.

4 Apr 2018 – VP of Operations

Hi...we are really sorry to hear you're not happy, and glad that you are raising these issues for us to address. As part of management, I want to assure you that we do care, and your input is... More

"Incredible family; great place for accelerated experience."

I worked at TaskRabbit full-time

Pros

Taskrabbit has an incredible family of individuals working on some of the most interesting problems in the gig economy. It’s a rare place where "high ownership" over process, product and business is not a cliche phrase but an everyday reality. It’s a place impact can be easily realized, and you can gain accelerated experience that would take years elsewhere.

Cons

The company is still a start-up at heart, which can be attractive (see pros above) or incredibly challenging. You’ll have to decide if it fits you, but may not be for all. The recent acquisition will provide a more robust platform, so may minimize those challenges somewhat.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the user, and keep the strong culture!

"Tasker Operations: Recruiting"

I have been working at TaskRabbit part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, and coworkers.

Cons

Unnecessarily stressful, work beyond your means, under-appreciated, undervalued.

Advice to Management

Care about all of your employees as human beings. Divide the work evenly, hire more people.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at TaskRabbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture of really nice people. Its one of the friendliest places I've ever worked.
    Good pay and benefits are better than most companies: paid lunches, lots of PTO, great insurance.
    The company is growing and will likely be one of the few on demand platforms to be able to sustain itself.
    The exec team is very transparent regarding financials and strategy.
    For engineers there is a diversity of things to work on. Great place to level up.

Cons

It's a dynamic environment with an aggressive focus on improvement. If you want to settle into a relaxed job, this may not be the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay approachable and take feedback.

"The best people I've ever worked with... trying to do a hard thing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at TaskRabbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was an engineer with TaskRabbit for 4 years.

The team TaskRabbit (TR) has assembled is one of the kindest & smartest groups of people I've ever worked with. I'm a shy person, but I ended my time there with quite a few friends and close to a big group of people I respect and trust.

TaskRabbit is trying a very hard thing. Compared to all the competitors in the space, they treated the Taskers (workers/contractors) with the most respect & support of any company the sector. The Product is centered around the notion of giving them a choice (when to work / where to work / how much to charge, etc), rather than shoe-horning them into negative relationship **cough** Uber **cough**. There are legal limits to what TaskRabbit can to do support the Taskers, but they’ve always tried to raise the bar. TaskRabbit has even started trying to work with government to change the laws to enable them to offer Tasker things like health care, etc.

For a startup, the benefits are on-point (salary, health care, 401-k (no match), etc). You get a trendy SOMA office, new computers to use, free lunch, etc. If you care about diversity, and you should, TR is a great place to work. They’s got one of the better ratios in San Francisco (gender, race, age, etc). TR walks the line of having a good work-life balance with a passion for the product. Folks rarely work on nights/weekend, but if there’s a project deadline looming, folks will happily chip in.

As an engineer, I think our ~15 person product team was managed well, and we all had input into the direction of what we were building. We got to influence the product roadmap, have hack-days which really did birth new products/partnerships, etc. We had a fair balance of time to work on ‘tech debt’ with new features. We had the ability to upgrade our tools, and ensure that we used the “best tool available”, within reason. We always used new versions of Rails, were one of the first react-native apps, etc. Heck, we even won an Apple design award for our iOS app.

Cons

TaskRabbit a startup, and startups are hard. By definition, startups are risky endeavors doing an uncertain thing... with the possibility of big rewards down the road. Many of the other reviews on this site seem to forget this. Obviously, TR won't pay as much as Google or Apple will, and yes TaskRabbit had some road-bumps along the way (I was there for the "marketplace pivot" and a round of layoffs), but that is how experimenting works! This adventure is why you join a startup trying to do something hard. And yes, changing America’s relationship to domestic labor and creating equitable jobs for a lower-skilled temporary workforce is *hard*. I've worked for quite a few startups, and TaskRabbit handles the above with a clarity and openness that’s rare in Silicon Valley. That said… don’t expect smooth sailing at any startup, and that includes TaskRabbit.

As far as the Engineering/Product team is concerned, it is a small group with big dreams. There will *always* be ideas that won’t make the cut, and won’t be worked on. Most of the time TR made the right choice on what to prioritize, but sometimes they didn’t.

TaskRabbit is a small company with only ~50 full-time employees. With that in mind, career advancement can be difficult. If you want to end up as a Director/Manager, and there’s no one to manage… you might be out of luck.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency! TaskRabbit is a startup trying to do something hard. There will be experiments, there will successes, and there will be failures. That is how the process should be, and that's the core of the adventure, and what joining a startup is all about. Transparency into the decision making process is key so everyone is involved and there are no surprises. As companies mature, perceived risk increases, and it's easy to loose sight of this.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at TaskRabbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TaskRabbit has a great mission of helping under employed people. Good people, strong culture.

Cons

Product strategy was a bit confused when I was there, but it seems like the company has been on a tear since.

"Customer Support Specialist"

Pros

-Free lunch
    -Dog-friendly workplace
    -Interesting job, different/ unique situations every day

Cons

-Low pay
    -Not too many areas for advancement

Advice to Management

Higher pay will allow employees to stay longer.