The Very Group Reviews

Updated 28 Sep 2020

4.0
The Very Group Group Chief Executive Henry Birch (no image)
Henry Birch
Cons
  1. "Supportive and ambitious grad employer"

Current Employee - Collaboration Lead in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Made to feel very welcome when visited with university. Excellent at keeping in touch via LinkedIn and with their presence at Career Fair. Personal, helpful support all the way through application process. High graduate salary and good benefits

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "Great place"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Liverpool, England

I worked at The Very Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can honestly say it was a great experience

Cons

I cant think of any

Continue reading

3. "A wonderful company to work for"

Former Employee - Management Accountant in Speke, England

I worked at The Very Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The People are brilliant- they really make you feel welcome, the atmosphere is unique

Cons

Can't think of any off hand

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - FLT Driver in Little Hulton, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, easy going. Brilliant company to work for.

Cons

This location has now closed

5. "The Very Group"

Current Employee - Production Controller in Oldham, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time

Pros

Is a Good place to work

Cons

None I can think of

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your positive review, have a lovely weekend!

6. "Great company with a huge amount of potential"

Former Employee - Merchandise Assistant

I worked at The Very Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a great company with a huge amount of potential. The office in London is gorgeous and the people working in both Liverpool and London are great. There is a really nice atmosphere with the company which is not that common in some fashion companies. The company has clear values and is very transparent with the employees in terms of company direction and also does an excellent job of celebrating success. Also great benefits and holidays. I really enjoyed my time at The Very Group and would highly recommend anyone working in the fashion industry to spend some time working at this forward thinking retail company.

Cons

Head office is in Liverpool and if you are based in the London office it requires a lot of travelling to Liverpool and early morning starts. This can be difficult if you are starting as a merchandise assistant who requires support with learning on the job. There is definitely a huge potential to improve onboarding and a training scheme for those starting in London and even grads to learn from the best buyers and merchandisers in the company. Invest more in your graduates, give them more opportunities to grow and develop and gain additional skills not just doing the day to day job. Salary is okay for retail but for smart graduates, it might not attract them to stay long enough. Engage with those graduates more, they are often full of fresh ideas so use that knowledge to gain feedback and new opportunities to help the business grow. Company has done some fantastic work in investing in systems and tech to improve their customer's experience but there is definitely more work that needs to be done in investing in better and less archaic systems and make the business less siloed for employees.

Talent development partner

Thank you for sharing a review on your time working in our London office, your feedback is important as it helps us to continually improve what we do. We have a number of recent changes outlined below, which we hope will address the experiences you have shared for the future. I agree that the people at The Very Group make it such a great place to work. Our commitment to our culture and values also play a big part in this, and make me very proud to work for Very. We recognise that there are clear opportunities to improve the experience for some of our colleagues who don't work at our Head Office full time. Our experience with Covid has truly accelerated our digital transformation over the past few months, meaning that our virtual working practices are now part of our everyday working patterns, truly starting to break down those site to site barriers. We've also made some improvements to our onboarding process - every new colleague upon signing their contract, will receive an online induction bringing them up-to-speed before their first day at The Very Group. Previously our monthly induction gathering would always take place at Head Office - this will now be a digital event and inclusive to all colleagues, regardless of site. Finally, we've refreshed and repackaged our learning offer, helping us to fulfil our people promise of creating the best possible place to work, investing in talent for now and the future. Our colleague engagement survey, Voice, clearly tells us that career investment is important to our colleagues and that they want visibility of opportunities and access to great development. Good luck in your new role and hopefully we can welcome you back to The Very Group in the future!

7. "A very ambitious, forward thinking organisation that is unswerving in it's ambition to the best by it's customers."

Former Employee - Head of Creative in Liverpool, England

I worked at The Very Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits and career development opportunities. Great head office and on-site facilities.

Cons

Struggles to live it's values at times.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time out to leave us a review. It's great to hear you recognise our focus in doing the best for our customers whilst rewarding our people with salary, benefits and opportunities to progress in return for their commitment to deliver for our customer. Our values are super-important to us, to guide us when the going get's challenging, and so hearing they're not met at times is something we'd welcome feedback on to understand when you have experienced this so we can improve. Please feel free to share more with us on glassdoor@theverygroup.com

8. "Old fashioned boardroom run company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Liverpool, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at The Very Group full-time

Pros

Competitive Salaries Decent motorway linked location

Cons

A number of years working through constant back biting, one upmanship and a totally political way of working. This is the norm for this company but it’s well hidden at first by a phoney friendly facade. They say they want people to bring new ideas but then your told that’s not how we do things here so you conform or leave. Not worth it for the competitive salary. Join at your peril.

9. "ok job"

Former Employee - Warehouse Operative in Shaw, North West England, England

I worked at The Very Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

money was ok i suppose

Cons

shifts wernt family friendly at all

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for leaving a review on your time working at Shaw. We wish you the very best for your future and thank you again for your time with us.

10. "Picker review"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Shaw, North West England, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly staff and quality canteen

Cons

Moving site to midlands and making hundreds redundant

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review about your time as an order picker at Shaw. We couldn't agree more that the team environment and culture at the site has been a positive factor in many employees experiences working at the site over the years and is something we hope many friendships will be taken forward into the next chapter for you and other at Shaw. We thank you wholeheartedly for the part you played in your time working with us, and wish you the best of luck for the future.

Found 187 reviews