US Defense Intelligence Agency Reviews

Updated 26 Jul 2020

3.5
US Defense Intelligence Agency Director Lieutenant General Vincent R. Stewart, USMC
Lieutenant General Vincent R. Stewart, USMC
Pros
Cons
  • "There is a chasm between the civilian and military members of the agency(in 10 reviews)

• "Most senior leadership positions are filled with managers with control issues(in 7 reviews)

1. "Information Security"

Current Employee - Information Systems Security Officer

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, and the dissemination of information is punctual

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "Helper"

Current Employee - Sanitation Worker

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work goal cars Business Contacts

Cons

Best greatest strongest Forward goal

Continue reading

3. "Great Job, Awesome Opportunities"

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Experience different cultures and environment.

Cons

They need to do a better job at screening Senior Defense Attaches.

4. "US Navy Reserves"

4.0
    Current Employee - O5 - Navy - Commander

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work, Us Navy Reserve orders

Cons

I can't think of anything negative at this time.

"Tough for Some Military"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to work for a new experience. There are a lot of opportunities to learn new roles .

Cons

If you are military it is a tough organization to feel part of the team. There is a "we will wait you out" mentality

"Great Opportunities, Beware of Some Offices"

4.0
    Current Employee - CI Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent mission, subject material far more interesting than anything in the private sector, prestige of working for the top DoD intel agency. Free educational opportunities, making a difference in national security. Don't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

I worked as an analyst for a while and went to a position to do operations support, thinking it would be more interesting. It was a total bait and switch. Instead of doing operations support, I became a glorified secretary and data herder; counting beans on spreadsheets, arguing with people about meeting task deadlines, and doing administrative work for leadership with very little guidance and no training. I desperately tried to escape back to analysis where I felt like I did more actual counterintelligence work. I was successful but can't leave soon because of archaic HR rules.

"Corporate DoD"

Current Employee - Intelligence Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The ability to network and get a first hand view of joint and interagency operations in the National Capital Region cannot be overstated.

Cons

DIA operates more like a corporation than a DoD agency. It is very personality driven with many people in senior positions, who lost relevance in their fields a long time ago if they ever had it to begin with. Innovation is not rewarded nor encouraged.

"Just a starting point"

1.0
    Contract Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency

Pros

There are a lot of positions open

Cons

There are a lot of positions open. Very toxic environment. Leadership has a do nothing but blame everyone mentality. Work is managed with stall tactics to keep layers of employees employed for no reason. Relied heavily on contractors for majority of work because government employee turnover was a revolving door. Leaving to get promotion at another agency to return back to DIA was the one guaranteed way to get promoted. Promotion process is different from any other government agencies. Nepotism was sure to guarantee you, your spouse, siblings, children, basically anyone a job regardless of actual skills. Employees that have only worked at DIA exceed. Young employees leave for higher salaries once they get clearances. Employees from outside agencies usually don’t make it a year. Stay away at all circumstances.

9. "Good place."

Current Employee - Enterprise Data Center Manager in London, England

Pros

Good hours and nice location.

Cons

Government jobs are all the same.

"Interesting work in a difficult bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Washington, DC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at US Defense Intelligence Agency full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work; possible occasional overseas travel depending on job.

Cons

New promotion system makes career planning almost impossible; very difficult to get promoted.

Found 161 reviews