ValuePenguin Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

ValuePenguin Reviews

Updated 3 Jul 2019

4.9
ValuePenguin CEO Jonathan Wu    (no image)
Jonathan Wu
  1. "Best-in-class enterprise, acquired the right way"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People are taken care of here–comprehensively. From the training you receive to be effective in your role to the flexibility of unlimited PTO and benefit options, the company pays attention to both professional and personal needs. - Recent acquisition by LendingTree could have gone far worse than it did - no one was laid off, though some chose to move on. VP has retained many of the benefits of being a small... startup while gaining opportunities to synergize with other properties in the LT family.

Cons

- Integration with LendingTree has had its share of roadblocks and frustrating moments. Cooperation among the various branches of the business could use a lot of improvement. - Persistent investment of resources in a single product team poses challenges to the morale of those not involved in work on that team. Company morale could benefit from better messaging on why other teams still matter and what the future... holds.

ValuePenguin2019-07-03
  2. "Amazing Work Environment"

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Insightful and friendly coworkers - Great office location - Founders are genuinely intelligent, pragmatic and self-aware - Tons of room to grow and develop your repertoire - Unlimited PTO - Catered lunch every day - Lots of monitors for maximum productivity

Cons

- There aren't any noteworthy cons that I can come up with without forcibly searching for one.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with your employees as the company grows.

ValuePenguin2018-06-15
  3. "Great balance between amazing culture and pursuit of excellence"

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the rapidly growing leaders in its industry. The whole firm is very focused on producing high quality work. Smart & kind management team who are very conscientious about making sure everyone feels fulfilled with their career & happy/excited about being here every day. Awesome mentorship at every level. Very warm culture where people feel comfortable being vulnerable and bonding on a personal level.... Everyone here is very close, and we often hang out outside of work. A lot of fun perks like annual company ski trip to Utah, very nice dinners at michelin star restaurants, happy hours, catered lunch, unlimited vacation, Equinox membership, etc.

Cons

We're not a super well-known startup like Uber, but that's the beauty of joining a company at this stage of development. But I understand how this could be not the best fit for a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Maintain this culture even while growing the team

ValuePenguin2017-11-09
  4. "What an amazing opportunity to learn and grow!"

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A small, nimble team that's always happy to experiment and try new things, and a management that wants us to learn and become better at our jobs. Ideas and innovation are welcome here. Success is rewarded, and failures are recognized as an opportunity to learn and get better. - In terms of the team- everyone on the team has a great sense of humor and we all get along like a house on fire, bouncing ideas off... each other and feeding off all that creative energy. - We also get a ton of amazing perks, including free gym membership at Equinox, commuter benefits, free lunches, a dizzying array of snacks, a low deductible health insurance plan, happy hours, company dinners at Michelin starred and James Beard award-winning restaurants... the list is endless!

Cons

Can't really think of any 'cons' that significantly affect my life. Of course, there are minor irritations, but they tend to be almost immediately addressed by colleagues or my managers due to open communication between all of us. On a personal note- the long commute from central New Jersey is tiring, but that has nothing to do with the organization - it is my choice to live so far away from the city.

ValuePenguin2017-10-24

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time

Pros

- Nice people - Catered lunch - Company happy hours and events - Good benefits - Positive atmosphere and considerate upper management - Sense of opportunity to make a real difference

Cons

No major cons! There are plenty of opportunities to make a difference and things are constantly changing and growing, but there's not a complex hierarchy where you can change roles as frequently inside the company as you might be able to do in a larger corporate structure.

Advice to Management

Keep being thoughtful and inclusive!

ValuePenguin2017-08-28

"Best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunities! - Lots of verticals to explore and the freedom to do so Fantastic people! - No jerks allowed - Despite being a young company overall there are many experienced people to learn from Amazing benefits! - 401k with contribution - Free healthcare - Gym membership - Free lunch and drinks - Lots of company sponsored outings (happy hour, baseball games, skiing,... etc) Above industry standard compensation!

Cons

Small company so you can't hide

ValuePenguin2017-08-31

"Everything you need for tons of learning & career development"

Former Intern - Junior Research Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at ValuePenguin for less than a year

Pros

Autonomy. If you like taking ownership of work and make difference, this is the place for you. Growing business & tons of opportunity. Despite being pretty mature for a startup (4yr+), they're growing quickly. Lean organization. No office politics, no bs, no face time, go home if you're done. (Of course don't take advantage of the system. These people come from actual hardcore finance and have put up with all the... bs, that's why they care so much about culture. They will know if you're crossing the line.) Caring management. Actually listens to what you want in your current job and the next. Tries hard to make it a reality. Great stepping stone (if applicable). Every analysis you publish carries your name. Anyone who can Google will find articles with you as the author. Kitchen stacked with food and coffee. Can't beat that, definitely a plus.

Cons

Not #1 in industry (actually #2; Nerdwallet is #1). Company name isn't well-known. Also hard to explain its business in a catchall phrase. Consumer finance? Personal finance? FinTech? Small organization. If you want to learn workings of large organizations, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Can probably come up with summer intern hangouts or something. Otherwise keep up with what you are doing!

ValuePenguin2017-09-07

"Editorial Staff"

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time

Pros

I have been working here for a couple of months now, and I love it. The editorial team is expanding, which means that there are tons of opportunities for those who are looking to break into editorial or journalistic work.

Cons

ValuePenguin is a fantastic work environment, but you can't come in here set on doing your own thing. You should be willing to grow with the company, and fill in holes when necessary.

ValuePenguin2017-08-25

"A fun company with many opportunities for professional growth"

Current Employee - Senior Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is a fun, dynamic workplace where collaboration, teamwork and new ideas are encouraged from all departments. The content editor is open, engaging and easy to work with. Because our team is expanding, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in writing our core reference guides, newsier advice pieces and data-driven studies. From a culture standpoint, the atmosphere is casual and relaxed, but focused... and hard-working. Everyone gets along well and there are regular office outings.

Cons

Because of the start-up nature of the company, processes and roles can change as the staff grows. This could be a turn-off for some.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring!

ValuePenguin2017-08-25

"Great culture and A Lot of Opportunity Career Development"

I have been working at ValuePenguin full-time

Pros

- It's a growing company so there's a lot of room to wear different hats and try new things, so long as you have a logical and thought out plan. Great for career development. - Fun (and funny) people. Great culture and atmosphere around the office. Very modern interiors, open office - Good benefits (401k, catered lunches, pantry filled with snacks and drinks)

Cons

- Company approach to hiring is slow and methodical, which is really a pro and a con. Tends to be selective in the interview process to make sure we're bringing on people that will be a good fit. On the flip side, however, this can sometimes create bottlenecks.

Advice to Management

N/A

ValuePenguin2017-07-27