Veeva Systems Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.3
Veeva Systems Founder and CEO Peter Gassner
Peter Gassner
Pros
Cons
  • "I've heard that some teams are more process-driven or have less work-life balance(in 20 reviews)

• "gt;Company culture is dying due to Employee Success not being a sincere core focus(in 9 reviews)

1. "Team Lead for India and ASEAN region"

Current Employee - Maharashtra in Mumbai

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Focused on Lifescience industry . Flexible company culture. Get to work with industry expert

Cons

High expectations from customers and Management

Veeva Systems2019-05-09
  2. "Great Company to Work and Learn"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Supportive Managers - Great Work - Learning Fast paced - Senior Management is very reachable

Cons

- Not many team building activities - Very Lean team model

Veeva Systems2017-07-04

"Attractive comp package doesn't begin to make up for very toxic, demoralizing culture."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are none to speak of at this point.

Cons

Some senior managers get away with demeaning, overbearing, demoralizing behaviors. "Veeva speed" is ridiculous...just stop saying it. Four to six month recruiting/hiring cycles are not speedy. Waiting more than a year for key decisions on significant customer offerings is not speedy. Not making decisions isn't speedy. An excessive number of iterations on processes that never get implemented isn't speedy.... "Managers as doers" is ridiculous...managers get beat up for not focusing on strategic thinking, and at the same time, they are overloaded with client project activities because teams are understaffed (or people aren't doing their jobs). You cannot have it both ways. Major infrastructure/process projects are constantly put off because there are perpetual--hourly--priorities or crises. Poor performance by individuals has no ramification other than the good people have to take up the slack for those who simply don't do their work, despite repeated reminders to adhere to SOPs and work instructions. This means that extra checks have to be built into the process and, even then, there are significant regulatory gaps. Make sure that people really do what they're supposed to and not force others in the group to take up the slack. Product managers add features and functions without really taking business impact into consideration. Too many times we've seen significant product changes that basically undermined our ability--and clients--to work effectively and have insight into what's going on. Some PMs seem to resent input from customer service teams; their attitude seems to trickle down from the head of product management (who is dismissive of customer service teams, to say the least). There's no training on business systems used for every day activities or on corporate processes. Even with Veeva's Share page (supposedly the go-to place for critical info), it's impossible to find information or how-tos. This means that people waste time trying to track down info, then waste others' time asking them because it couldn't be found. Veeva needs to invest in a centralized internal training department that ensures employees have the info and skills they need to do their jobs effectively and efficiently.

Advice to Management

STOP saying that you value employee success because you don't. The only "successful" employees are either working a gazillion hours or they're successful political sharks. Sexism, ageism, and favoritism abound at all levels in the organization that I've been exposed to. Fix that immediately. Let the people that you hire with specialised experience do what you hired them for, otherwise, why waste their... time? Mediocrity seems to perfectly acceptable..in fact, rewarded. Streamline the hiring process and allow business unit heads to sign off on offer packages (there's no way that the company can grow to the size that they say that they want to be by 2025 and still have a single person--Peter--approving offers. The expectation that people work 60+ hours a week for YEARS is unreasonable. If most of a team is working these kinds of hours for an extended time, then 1) the team is short-staffed and/or 2) because processes and products are so broken that it takes a HUGE effort to deliver a customer project. Say no to customers when they are unreasonable or overly demanding. And, empower staff to say no or push back (in the most respectful way, of course). Clients aren't always right or reasonable and if they don't hold up their side of the schedule, then the Veeva staff should be able to communicate and enforce implications on the final delivery. And, senior managers should back up their staff in these situations, not just listen to the client's side of the story. Invest in training staff. The first two weeks should be focused on corporate guidance, corporate SOPs/WIs, corporate systems (Lynx), overviews of the company, different business units, products, and then each department invests in training people to successfully perform their job responsibilities. NO ONE should be thrown onto a project in week 1 and be expected to succeed. If V2Ms are so important, then EVERYONE who manages staff should ensure that these are done and reviewed EVERY quarter. I haven't been asked to complete a V2M since my 1st quarter at Veeva. And, my 2 APRs with my manager have lasted a total of 20 minutes...so 10 minutes review for an entire year. Ridiculous. And this isn't just a problem with my direct manager; I hear the same complaint from team members who report to other managers in our department. Managers shouldn't go weeks and weeks without speaking with their staff. Believe me, it happens. Just because management thinks an initiative SHOULD BE completed in an unrealistic timeframe doesn't mean that it's remotely feasible. And, just like we tell clients project deadlines will slip if they delay responding, management needs to understand that if they don't make and communicate decisions about these programs, then deadlines should be allowed to slip. People don't like living in constant chaos. And, it's not a profitable business model. Make decisions, manage staffing appropriately, make sure people aren't on a burn-out course, manage client expectations and empower people to make decisions without having to go "up the chain." I was chatting recently with a former colleague who had interviewed at Veeva and she said the reason she didn't accept an offer for a mid-level role from Veeva was that she just felt that culture was not very conducive to professional development and personal success. She asked if I agreed and I had to say yes. I'm very disappointed. I had hoped Veeva was a place to work for the long haul, but I--and many others in our department--are looking to leave as soon as possible. We're not even bothering to look at other opportunities in Veeva because we simply don't believe the culture will be any different in other parts of the organization.

Veeva Systems2019-10-16
  4. "One of the best places to work in Tri-Valley and East Bay for software engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- focus on customers' needs - innovation and interesting software engineering projects - business is doing very well - save big in commuting time if live in the Tri-Valley area - quality free lunch for headquarter employees - fitness and sports facilities

Cons

- I do not feel there are any

Veeva Systems2019-11-04
  5. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Veeva is a place that I feel I can grow.

Cons

The company’s core values are ambiguous.

Veeva Systems2019-11-02

"Buy the stock, a job here isn't worth it."

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The stock does well. Too bad RSU plan sucks. Free lunch Employment education reimbursement Fair system for promotion

Cons

Very stingy with compensation, and they made it worse after getting rid of 4 year RSU plans Most team managers have backend backgrounds and don't value front end engineers Dismissive of employee concerns and the value they bring (They basically treat you like a robot) No meaningful rewards for loyalty. It's like they want you to leave. Large, monolithic, and poorly designed codebase with ancient technology... makes development a slog

Advice to Management

For the CEO: stop being so stingy with compensation For middle management: start valuing your employees and reward them for their loyalty, or they'll get resentful. Remember: people don't quit jobs. They quit managers.

Veeva Systems2019-10-22

"Overall Great Experience"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time

Pros

Great product and good timing in the market.

Cons

Growing Pains, and team based compensation for sales.

Veeva Systems2019-10-17
  8. "Very Happy"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Veeva Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, great people, great work

Cons

None as of now that I can think of

Veeva Systems2019-10-18

"An amazing company - one to watch but the marketing department is a very unhappy place."

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Veeva Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary and share scheme are generous There are some amazing people working here It’s a company many would be proud to work for It has a great reputation in the industry.

Cons

Kept isolated from the rest of the organisation, the marketing department is a very unhappy, abnormal place. The team work incredibly hard in an atmosphere of genuine fear and public humiliation. It’s important for both candidates and employers to do back channel checks when looking for a job. This may not be the place for you if you have a family or a personal life.

Veeva Systems2019-10-09

"NO"

I worked at Veeva Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ salary + 300 dollars for sport activities

Cons

- no health insurance, only life insurance - no lunch tickets - no car allowance - no possibility to accomodate private travels before or after work travels also in case of overseas meetings - bad managers: their goals first, no professionalism - overtime work is not paid - good work not recognized - no meritocratic, nepotism WORK TRAVELS NO FULLY REIMBOURSED

Veeva Systems2019-11-10