There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Software Intern Review

Current Employee - College Student Tech in Manassas, VA (US)
Current Employee - College Student Tech in Manassas, VA (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with
Fast paced working environment
Great personal development opportunities
Security Clearance

Cons

Government sometimes changes its mind about what it wants after accepting a design.
Time constraints can be stressful at times

2418 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

A company that cares about stock price and nothing else.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goodyear, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goodyear, AZ (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time

Pros

If you are able to find a good group within the company, junior engineers can get tons of diverse experience and responsibility. If you want a job that can help you build a resume for your next job, LM is perfect.

Probably the best part of working for Lockheed is that there are thousands of groups within the company and you are reasonably free to move around until you find one that you like.

Cons

When you start at Lockheed, you'll hear people joke that we're the company that Dilbert is based on. After a year or two, you'll find out that those people weren't joking. While Lockheed can shower responsibilities and experience on young employees, all promotions are based on years of experience and all raises are based on sucking up to management. This is the sort of company where you could single-handedly win a $25 million contract and be turned down for a promotion because you are 1 month of experience short of the requirement. By the way, that's not hypothetical. In my time at Lockheed, I've seen situations just like that play out... twice!

Lockheed is a silo'd company, so it really feels like a loose alliance of hundreds of small-medium companies. It's sort of an interesting place to work, until you realize that all parts of Lockheed fiercely compete with each other. We operate like a pack of wild animals, constantly fighting each other for food, but remaining together for survival. This creates a toxic, ultra-competitive environment where people are rewarded for betraying the guy down the hall because he's from a different part of the company. I've seen people get their yearly raise reduced for helping other parts of the company win new business.

The last important thing to know is that they've been making small benefit and quality-of-life cuts every few months for the last ~3 years. They're usually small, but they keep happening like clockwork and they're adding up. I've had multiple raises and a promotion and my total compensation is the same as when I started. In essence, good performance is rewarded with just enough of a raise to keep your salary from shrinking.

Lay off any indirect employee with no direct reports. If you aren't leading anyone, you shouldn't be getting executive leadership pay. Take a good, hard look at a lot of overhead and indirect jobs. There are hundreds of people whose jobs made sense when they were hired 10 years ago, but no longer provide value to the company.

It really hurts morale when management cuts benefits because of the economy, but continues to spend millions of dollars on lavish executive "conferences." (Read: parties)

End the internal competition. I know it's the way you've always done business, but we're intentionally tearing our company apart.

A good place to grow and learn

Current Employee - Materials Engineer Senior
    Current Employee - Materials Engineer Senior

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*In the right organization, management is supportive of career and educational development
    *It is possible to advance in a rewarding career while maintaining work/life balance; it is expected that employees leave after a 40-hour workweek
    *Many opportunities to take other jobs, learn new skills, get involved in special projects
    *Continuing education tuition assistance, leadership development/rotational programs

Cons

*Funding uncertainty on programs can occur in the light of government budget problems
    *Large defense contractor means bureaucracy that can sometimes be frustrating
    *IT security means software and hardware tools available to employees are almost always out of date and limited in options

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin