Airbnb Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Airbnb

3.1

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

An Airbnb recruiter reached out. After an initial introductory phone call, they sent me the take-home assignment.

I spent 20 hours in this assignment to later be rejected with a generic email, and no further answers to my questions for feedback.

Interview Questions

• You need to complete the take-home assignment within 72 hours. You can only send a PDF, if you want to send them your code, you have to embed it within the PDF. All other companies I've interviewed with want you to send them your code.

Compared to those other companies' assignments, Airbnb's was much more on the statistical side, hypothesis testing mostly.

I took time off from work to complete this assignment and ended up spending about 20 hours over the course of 3 days. When I've put that much work and energy into an assignment, I've always passed.

Airbnb took over a week to respond to my submission, where I had to follow up with unresponsive recruiters.

When the answer finally came, it was a canned rejection email. I requested feedback that would help me do better next time. They never replied.

After this experience, I don't want to interview with them for another position, nor recommend this company to anyone on my network.

Rejection happens all the time and I don't expect to succeed in every interview; but I think candidates that have clearly put in the work, deserve at least some feedback, or a phone call.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Very specific process. Not hard, more so tedious.
    Didn’t make it past the on-site, but my studying paid off for other high caliber companies. It’s ironic.

I spent 3 months of my time studying for phone and onsite interview combined. Paid off for the phone interview.

Realized I studied all the wrong things for the on-site and would’ve had better luck talking to an AirBnB engineer to understand how they approach problems (which isn’t the same as many other companies). You live and you learn

Interview Questions

• Do you think like us? (Not the question but the jist of a few interviews). They’re looking for culture fits and not culture adds. Oh well   1 Answer

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Consisted of a recruiter round followed by a phone call with hiring manager and then a 4-5 hour onsite where they grill you as much as they can. The interview panel was a mix of good and bad, but a lot of cross functional stakeholders who you have no idea how they work with the team, keep questioning you and kept on interrupting while answering.
    Worst part is after you invest so much time in preparing and interviewing the recruiter just sends an automated email with no feedback at all even after following up multiple times (marketing recruiters need some training on candidate interaction).

Interview Questions

• Why Airbnb?
      Technical questions related to the role- situational and hypothetical
      Values interview (behavioral questions)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Nice office space. The technical part of the interview is pretty standard: coding, design etc. The culture fit rounds are a bit unique. Try to get out of the technical mindset when attending these rounds.

Interview Questions

• How have you made others belong?   1 Answer

Supply Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

The process dragged out over 3 months, lots of lag time between rounds of interviews. 5 rounds total:
    Recruiter screen
    Hiring manager interview
    Second manager interview
    Values interview round
    VP level interview
    Each round was a mix of situational questions and behavioral interview questions. All the interviewers were very warm and inviting, second to last they have you do two 30-min “values based” interviews with employees in other departments at Airbnb which I thought was a cool way for them to communicate their culture. In the end I didn’t get an offer and got no feedback as to why after being strung along for several months. Recruiter was friendly and checked in frequently

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the last time you tried something new   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

They reached out for me to complete their video interview. I didn't make it past the video interview round. The interview was confusing as it showed the question and then gave you about 15 seconds to think before responding.

Brand Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. I first interviewed with a recruiter then the hiring manager. Before the interview with the hiring manager I was asked to complete an assignment which essentially felt like free labor. I felt like I wasn't been asked the right questions and at times even questioned or doubted for certain answers. There was also no timeline laid out or set of expectations.

Interview Questions

• The job role covers A,B,C,D. Please choose two of these and I will ask you two questions regarding those topics?   Answer Question

Business Strategy Manager Interview

Interview

No response to application, which I find unprofessional and to be a poor process. I had 3 referrals from internal employees, including HR professionals. That said, I do know the process would have included a phone screen, several in person "culture fit" interviews and meeting the direct manager.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Airbnb (San Francisco, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I found this interview process to be unnecessarily lengthy and, relatedly, disrespectful to the candidate. To substantiate that claim, I’ve outlined the interview process I went through for the Analytics track and added commentary on each phase.

TLDR: This interview process was unprofessional enough to make me leave this long of a Glassdoor review. A function of:
    • Too many interviews (n=10) and redundant questions (e.g. was asked ‘Why Airbnb’ 5 separate times throughout the process, was asked a selection of ‘how would you measure x’ questions in 4 separate interviews). People have actual jobs – be considerate of their time.
    • Arrogant attitude (e.g., not a single interviewer introduced him/herself; out of 10 interviews, there were 5 minutes I had to ask questions). If you want the world to believe your ‘Be a host’ pitch, help your candidates get to know you too – at the very least be friendly.

Details: The process amounted to 10 total interviews/meetings which spanned about 3 months from application to decision. A function of:
    • 1 30-minute phone screening with a sourcer who seemed to be reading from a script and was not knowledgeable enough about the role/team to answer beyond-surface-level questions
    • 1 45-minute SQL CoderPad interview + 'metrics interview' over the phone (e.g., 'How would you go about measuring Airbnb's customer service team's success?', etc.). The interviewer was unfriendly and seemed annoyed that he had to take the call. He said nothing other than the scripted questions.
    • 7 on-site interviews/meetings
    o 1 on-site presentation interview (15 minutes + 15 minutes for Q&A). This was with a panel of 4 listeners. 1 of them was the hiring manager, but I couldn’t tell you who the other people were because no one introduced themselves. Also worth noting, no one smiled.
    o 1 exploratory data analysis interview (60 minutes), where you’re given a dataset and asked to dig into it
    o 1 metrics interview (30 minutes), where you’re asked how you’d measure various Airbnb business dynamics + drilled into on what would move those metrics (e.g., what would an increase in x do to the average? The median?)
    o 1 ‘experience’ interview (45 minutes), where there were 1-2 questions about past project experience and then, mid-way through, a surprise case. This was disappointing because it was the only interview throughout the entire process that was supposed to be a chance to talk to someone on the actual team that the role was on and connect on a personal level at all vs. showing that you can be a human calculator. I had a handful of stories prepared on my work experience, most of which I wasn’t given an opportunity to share. I was also interested in getting to know the manager as a person in this interview – learning about her background or an example project she envisioned the person taking on, but unfortunately she didn’t introduce those things, and there wasn’t much time to ask questions due to the surprise case on the back end of the interview.
    o 2 ‘cross-functional’ interviews (each 30 minutes), which are conversational and meant to assess fit with Airbnb’s culture/values. These are a really nice concept, but they’re with random people in the organization – it would make more sense to use these an opportunity for the candidate to meet the team.
    o 1 non-evaluative lunch with a Data Scientist not on the team you’re applying to, meant for asking questions/getting to know Airbnb’s culture better
    • 1 final ‘case’ phone interview, which again consisted of ‘tell me how you’d measure x’ questions. This really felt overkill – the questions were identical in nature to many of the questions that had been asked in interviews prior.

On a positive note, the recruiter responded with a decision within a week and was respectful enough to share the news over the phone. But then, of course, there was no interview feedback offered.

Interview Questions

• If Airbnb wanted to open a new office, how would you determine how many meeting rooms to build into it?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Airbnb.

Interview

Resume screen, recruiter emailed, hacker rank challenge, two back to back technical questions then phone interview with non engineer. The hacker rank challenge was pretty difficult as well as the technical screen

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.