AppFolio Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

AppFolio Interview Questions

Interviews at AppFolio

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Applied online for the available position and the recruiter reached out to get more information about my background and scheduled a technical screening with an engineer.

The technical screening was a really bad experience. The interviewer joined the interview 10 minutes late and started off without even an apology for the delay. Asked a couple of vague questions about web services and then jumped to a coding question via Coderpad. He did not even pay attention to what I was explaining while solving the problem. He gave a different variation of the problem after I solved the first one and sat back on his chair looking at the ceiling while I was solving it.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

The process was incredibly slow, nearly 2 1/2 months before an offer was made. Started with a simple phone interview with the recruiter, then a follow-up with the hiring manager. A third phone interview was conducted with both the recruiter and hiring manager. After which, a final in-person interview was held. For the in-person interview they gave me an assignment focused on positioning and messaging. It was fairly straight forward. I. had to present to a small group. Throughout the process their response was very slow and they offered little transparency on next steps.

The biggest issue was the offer. I was told from the beginning that they 'could' reach my compensation requirements. Admittedly there was a sizable gap, but the recruiter assured me there was flexibility. So, for 2 1/2 months I proceeded through the process thinking we were aligned. Based on the offer, we clearly were not. With no wiggle room, I had no choice but to decline. It's a shame because the company seemed fantastic, the people were great, I highly respected their culture, but in the end they strung me along knowing they couldn't make me a competitive offer. And for that, all respect is lost.

Interview Questions

• Pretty typical interview questions - nothing out of the ordinary.   1 Answer

Director, Customer Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

The people were great, the team was organized, everyone was professional. I can see why AppFolio would be a great place to work. However, the process was emotionally long, and I felt the team spent so much time on their process and them being ready that they forgot to give me the information I would need in order to be able to respond intelligently to their questions. Specifically, I was not given enough information about the team, company, priorities, goals, or overall organization to be able to adequately be able to prepare or formulate answers to their questions. Many questions were asked without context. Example: "What would be your priorities in this position?"....
    me = "Can you tell me the corporate or team goals which have been set for this year?" ...
    interviewer "No; I'd want X to tell you that" ...
    me = "Can you tell me what the problem areas are?" ...
    interviewer "No, imagine you don't have that data."
    Me = "uh, well, I guess my first step would be to understand the business priorities and goals, and then understand the problem areas."
    Interviewer = "Ok, but what would you focus on and how would you prioritize?"
    My brain = "Serenity NOW!"

Interview Questions

• How would you prioritize what the R&D team should work on?   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Phone screen from HR department, 1-1 discussion of project experience, 1-1 coding challenge with lead software engineer of the team that was hiring for openings. I did the exercise then we discussed the reasoning behind my code and structure.

Interview Questions

• What is functional programming vs Object oriented programming?
      Coding question on finding two numbers that add up to a certain number.   1 Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Nice and easy phone interview scheduled less than a week after an online application. An email was sent to confirm details for the in-person interview (2 hours long with three people, all named in the email). At the actual interview, my first interviewer was late by maybe 5-10mins which isn’t a big deal but it set the pace for the rest of the interview.( It seemed like all the interviewers had set questions they HAD to ask so since we were behind schedule, instead of cutting out questions it felt like I was rushed or cut off depending on the question or my answer.) First there is a tour which is cool but kind of pointless, especially if you start late. A better strategy maybe would be to do the interview last so the managers can decide if they even want to give a tour based on timing/ if they like you. The first interviewer transcribed the interview herself so there wasn’t really eye contact. Then you sit with someone from the department who would be a peer and that was interesting too. I felt like all the Information I got from that part was from the questions I specifically asked (she didn’t tell me/explain much without prompting). Then the last part of the interview is with two people at the same time, one asking while the other transcribes, switching throughout. Though the email had said who I would be interviewing with, one of those people was not from the email (the other person must not have been able to make it so he was stepping in I assume). Halfway through the interview we had to switch rooms because.. another meeting was coming in? They didn’t manage to book a room for my interview? Not sure. One of those guys was really nice; meanwhile, the other one would interrupt me, tell me my answers were wrong (answers based on my own experiences...), at one point said “you’re not getting out of it that easily” when I gave a briefer answer in an area I was unfamiliar with. I don’t know if it was an intentional good cop bad cop routine but even though I felt confident when I started by the end I just wanted it to be over. The interview ran 30 minutes over at which point they were just rapidly firing questions; it felt unnecessary because I knew I wasn’t getting the job at that point. I definitely didn’t interview well, especially in the last portion but I also feel a lot of that was a response to all of the above. Quite an unnerving experience.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress?   1 Answer
    • How do you stay organized/manage your time?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle and angry customer if you know they are wrong   Answer Question

AppFolio Response

13 Jan 2020 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We value your feedback and time - thank you for sharing that with us. We’re normally known for our communication and preparedness and we regret that we missed the mark. We will use this information to make sure we do better going forward.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Nice Interviewer, very chill and will not push you. She asked me the follow-up questions like anything corner cases, test cases, code review, again and again until I couldn't think of any.

Sales Interview

Interview

Fairly short, but extensive for the length. met with two people, shadowed one. The questions were fairly standard, and the environment seemed professional yet laid back. I was looking for something in sales, but this was my first job interview after getting my degree at 35, so I didn't have any sale experience, and I think that was a problem for them

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

1 hour technical interview consisting of explaining my strengths and weaknesses, as well as explaining to the interviewee a programming concept I was confident in. The interview concluded with the interviewee asking me a typical coding question off of leetcode (mine was about DP).

Interview Questions

• Explain a programming concept to someone as if they're completely unfamiliar with programming   Answer Question

B2B Sales Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Interview process went smoothly. After meeting with the BDR team manager, he gave me a tour of the office and we went about the interview process. The culture was welcoming and collaborative and there was a game room and fully stocked kitchen. Friendly atmosphere and a team that seems to genuinely care about each other's success.

Interview Questions

• What is one misconception that people have about you and why?   Answer Question

Business Development Representative (MyCase) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA (US)).

Interview

Phone interview --> In person interview.. Typically I judge a company based on if they let you know why you didn't get the job, as that's helpful for you and it shows they respect that you used your time to come in.

I didn't hear back at all even after I was asked to follow up the interview with an email

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

13 Jan 2020 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We value your feedback and time - thank you for sharing that with us. We’re normally known for our responsiveness and we regret that we missed the mark.

We will use this information to make sure we do better going forward.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.