Chartwell Retirement Residences Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Chartwell Retirement Residences Interview Questions

Interviews at Chartwell Retirement Residences

2.5

Accounting Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences.

Interview

1 phone interview with Corporate Recruiter, followed by 1 round of interview with hiring manager and department VP. Reference check involves references filling out a multi page questionnaire - quite a big ask for references.

Manager, Financial Reporting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2020.

Interview

There is a phone screen with their internal recruiter and then, if that phase is successful, an interview with the hiring manager. Note that the hiring manager actually prescreens the resumes before a decision is made on whether to extend even a phone screen. That makes sense, since most recruiters and talent acquisition people know nothing about accounting.

Unfortunately, their internal recruiter seems to be horrifically prejudiced. I applied late May and was contacted at the beginning of June…by phone call. She called both my cell and home phone numbers and left a message asking if I could call her back. I thought that was odd because you usually connect with a candidate via email and ask about timeslots to do a phone interview. We played phone tag for a few days before connecting.

Was I being contacted for a phone screen? Nope. She tried to beat around the bush and then finally asked if I was authorized to work in Canada. I guess she thought my name sounded too odd for me to be Canadian. The question is legal to ask, but guess what? At the bottom of the job description, they state that “All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada”. Then, literally the only supplemental question on the actual application is: “Are you eligible to work in Canada? (required)”. You have to select “yes” or “no” before submission. After all that, it was quite retarded for her to call me SOLELY to ask the same question again. After I told her that I was, she asked if we could set up a phone screen for early the following week. I agreed, but already knew I didn’t want to work with this type of company. She obviously didn’t want to ask the question via email so that there wouldn’t be any evidence of her asking and so that it would never get out what type of company Chartwell is. Well, too late!

I went through with the phone screen to get information on the role so that I could share it here, because there really isn’t anything out there about Chartwell’s accounting roles. The department has a director and an assistant manager of fixed assets. There are two senior corporate accountants and one consultant who drops in as needed. They are now converting one of the senior accountant roles into the Manager of Financial Reporting role that I applied for.

What are they looking for in terms of a good fit for the role? (Things to touch on during the interview):

-A technical CPA
    -Someone who can implement new accounting standards
    -Knowledge of ERP systems
    -Someone who looks at problems and devises solutions
    -Advanced excel user

Their ultimate intention is to dump the more challenging aspects of the accounting work (preparing financial statements, researching accounting issues, writing technical memos, being an IFRS subject matter expert, impairment analyses, and accounting for business acquisitions and dispositions) on the person filling this role. All these duties were previously performed by the director, so now she will just be doing “oversight”. Translation: She wants to be lazy and not do anything. The position would also have no direct reports, so you are essentially on your own.

The interview was fairly simple with straightforward questions about my resume and experiences. Then, we got to salary expectations. They were only offering UP TO $100K CAD. I had to mute the phone so that I could laugh out loud. To think they want a candidate with 7 years of experience, including managerial experiences, but they only want to pay them up to $100K is a joke. There were easily 12-15 more companies advertising the same type of role and all were offering up to $115K or $120K. It was clear that nobody at Chartwell checked what the market place was offering to ensure they were paying a salary in line with the market.

Since I knew the other opportunities that I was pursuing were at the $120K range, I knew I wouldn’t be going any further. She did say that she would follow-up by mid-week (2 days later) to let me know if I would be moving forward. She also said that the hiring manager had already started interviews. I did not hear anything from her within her prescribed timeframe, so for fun, I followed up a week and a half later. She said they had decided not to move forward. Shocker!

CANDIDATES: MAKE SURE YOU GO AFTER THE FULL $100K IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PURSUING THIS ROLE. DO NOT LET THEM CHEAT YOU INTO TAKING EVEN LESS! IT IS SIMPLY TOO MUCH WORK.

Another interesting point to note: She never gave me her email information, which makes it difficult to contact her. Fortunately, the internet is your friend and you can find just about anything. How are you recruiting and actively interviewing people for roles but not providing them with any kind of contact information?

What a horrible representation of Chartwell! I definitely left the experience with a negative view of the company.

Registered Practical Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences.

Interview

The process was two phone calls due to the current pandemic. The first was the initial recruiter who made me feel very comfortable and was quite respectful. 3 days later I received a call from the DOC and upon answering she was very snappy and had a poor tone and overall flat affect during the call. Rushed me through the questions and then asked me about my current job and insinuated that she thought the other job would get in the way of this position. When asking about the general roles in the residence she would sigh through questions as if I was bothering her. Completely unprofessional and turned me off of the job immediately.

Interview Questions

• What steps would you take in the event a resident had an unwitnessed fall?   Answer Question
    • Whats the correct administration time for Parkinson’s Medication?   1 Answer

RPN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2020.

Interview

Q. Give me an example of a time you displayed leadership as a nursing student

Q. Give me an example of a time where you had an issue arise with another
    nurse. How did you handle the situation?

Do you have any questions?

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress on the job?   1 Answer

Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leamington (Jamaica)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences (Leamington (Jamaica)).

Interview

Behavioural type questions and medication questions. The interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. The interviewer contacted me back after a few days. Process was quick and positive environment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond with your patient care and describe a time you made a mistake in the workplace   Answer Question

RPN Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences.

Interview

Submitted resume online through Chartwell site. Was called and had brief telephone interview. Came in for a one-to-one interview in person which was very easy. Received email 2 days later to offer employment. Schedule time to come in for quiz in orientation.

Interview Questions

• Yell us a bit about yourself and your goals.   1 Answer

Personal Support Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2018.

Interview

It was super laid back and easy. A few scenario situations. A few questions, not too many. Hired immediately. Asked for police check. Submitted resume as well as cover letter. Very easy questions, it intimidating whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you dealt with proper infection control?   1 Answer
    • How would you approach a patient with dementia?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Interviewer clearly does not interview often. Allotted 45 minutes for whole interview and didn't tell me until I was 20 min past that. I had questions she couldn't answer and didn't want too. Knew it wasn't a fit three minutes in. Red flag was when she told me that the culture is very people oriented and it didn't matter if you met your occupancy and revenue goals if people don't like you you will be fired.

So you want me to do the hard work and if an employee is upset about it, I will get fired? This is not a culture I want to be a part of.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when... behavioural type questions   4 Answers

Professional Bus Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in January 2018.

Interview

Just the basic questions about why I wanted to work for Chartwell and why they should hire me. Do I have a clean driving record and do I have the right class of licence to drive the bus

Interview Questions

• Do I like to drive and help people on and off the bus and take them shopping and to appointments and for lunches. Do I enjoy scenic drives in the country. Do I like to help with with socials and organizing special parties for staff and residences   1 Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chartwell Retirement Residences.

Interview

When you arrive, you will meet with the DOC (usually two or three people, including the supervisor of the position and a representative of Human Resources). The team leader will tell you what to expect.
    The DOC will then begin asking you a series of questions to assess your knowledge, abilities and personal suitability. These may include: A situational example with a patient; your strength at your previous Job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. - ...
      Why should we hire you? - ...
      What are your salary expectations? - ...
      Why do you want this job? - ...
      How do you handle stress and pressure?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.