D. E. Shaw India Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

D. E. Shaw India Interview Questions

Updated 8 May 2019

3.4

Sort:

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India.

Interview

It was a campus interview - written test - analytical, technical, and writing an algorithm. It was then followed by two technical interviews - 1 hour each. The interviewers were very nice and were knowledgable. Questions asked were very difficult - mostly questions for. Your area of expertise. Over all very good interview experience.

Performance Test Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Hyderabad) in May 2011.

Interview

They test in multiple facets - Java development, Performance Test Tools, Application design, Functional QA, Middleware, Databases and HR. I was also asked to solve puzzles. It was always one on one. HR phase happened over the lunch. Since i have claimed more expertise in databases, that round was more rigorous

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Hyderabad) in June 2012.

Interview

Transparent and based only on credit

Interview Questions

• Rather than technical. the hr questions were different and totally unexpected starting from types of crops and soils in your hometown   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India.

Interview

The interview was good, concise, asked relevant question but they delay a little when they have to inform the candidate whether it may be a yes or a no. If they have said that it will take 4 day, take a week to get back to the candidate not 1 month.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Pune) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was not so hard. There are 3 rounds . 1. PPT Presentation 2. Online apptitude test 3. HR interview. the process took whole one day. PPT WAS ALSO nice. Online test is quite hard . and in HR they asked about DBMS, OS etc

Interview Questions

• Given a text txt[0..n-1] and a pattern pat[0..m-1], write a function search(char pat[], char txt[]) that prints all occurrences of pat[] in txt[]. You may assume that n > m.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Bengaluru) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied offcampus. I got a call from de shaw india about the role and asked for the resume and then they send a link to fill a big form. Finally shared a hackerrank link to give an online coding test.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Patiala

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Patiala) in August 2015.

Interview

First they shortlist the students based on their cg in campus recruitments. futher on a written test is conducted comprising of technical and aptitude questions. then three to five rounds are conducted for technical and HR interviews.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warangal

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Warangal) in August 2018.

Interview

The firm has really very good Selection Procedure I found so far. They examined me thoroughly on each and every topic to be really sure, I was suitable enough to be taken.

Interview Questions

• Round 1:

It was a coding test on HackerRank platform. Two simple algorithmic questions were asked there which required basic knowledge on STL (for C++) and Maths. Test duration was 45 minutes.

Question 1: A string representing HTML tags are given. Find if corresponding HTML tags are equal or not. Return 1 for true and 0 for false cases.

Example – 1 <HTML><HEAD></HTML></HEAD> return true. (Yea, order doesn’t matter)

Example -2 <HTML><HEAD></HEAD></HEAD> return false.

Question 2: Given a number N, find the k’th character in m’th shortest permutation of sequence 1, 2, 3….N.

Example: N=3, k=2, m=2.

1 2 3

1 3 2

2 1 3

2 3 1

3 1 2

3 2 1

These will be the permutations, now the 2nd character of 2nd permutation will be 3.

Round 2:

After coding test, 22 people were shortlisted for Interviews. There were two Interviews for me. First Interview was a telephonic one, which lasted for about 2.5 hours.

Questions included in Interview-1:

Given a stream of numbers, find the median of numbers.
      Couple of DP questions on stock selling, given the prices of them on each day.
      Given a 2-D grid of characters, and a list of words, find how many words can be found inside the grid. We can search in all 8-directions.
      A question on greedy approach, in which interviewer tried to confuse me that the solution has to be by Dynamic Programming, but it wasn’t.
      Java-OOP related questions on Constructors.
      Questions on implementing Generic Array, and was also asked about basic differences in JAVA-C++ coding.
      Questions included in Interview-2:

Find the majority element, which appears more than n/2 times in O(1) space and O(n) time complexity.
      A DP question on how to partition n boxes into k partitions so as to get maximum profit. Condition for profit, suppose the sum of price of boxes in partition is 25, then we can show it as 30 and hence, earn a profit of 5. Similarly, if it’s 24, we have to show it as 20 and hence, we lose 4.
      SQL query: Find 5th largest salary in a given Salary table.
      Explain Dirty-Read Problem and how the scheduling has to be done to overcome it.
      Explain dangling pointers.
      How is absence of virtual functions overcome in Java.
      Round 3:

Round-3 was HR round. Questions were very easy. It included-

Tell me about yourself.
      What do you know about DE Shaw and Co.?
      What are your expectations from company?
      In the last, HR told me about that my performance had been good so far and most probably, I will be selected into it.

Result- Selected.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Mumbai).

Interview

There were four rounds: CV Shortlisting, Online Test, Group Discussion, Personal Interview. The last two rounds were conducted at a hotel. The company took more than 2 weeks to respond after the second stage.

Interview Questions

• GD Topic: Is money required to experience the 5 senses to the fullest?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw India (Bengaluru) in October 2013.

Interview

Sat for campus recruitments.

Four rounds - Aptitude Test, GD and Interview rounds. Didn't reach the interview round.

Aptitude test was surprisingly difficult, with only 1/5th of the candidates being accepted into the next round.

GD topic was simple enough, but high elimination rate. Only 1/10th of the people made it through.

Can't say anything about the interview rounds.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.