Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Garmin Interview Questions

Interviews at Garmin

2.7

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

About two weeks after applying online on the Garmin website I was called by a recruiter who set-up a phone interview, which took place two days later. The phone interview was a basic screening call with a member from the HR department. There were questions that you would encounter in a basic interview about strengths, weaknesses, greatest challenge, resolving conflicts, etc. There was some technical questions that mostly focused on explaining basic programming concepts, much like on a test or quiz from college classes. Lastly, I was asked if I had any other offers from other companies.

About a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to schedule an on-site interview at Garmin in Olathe, Kansas. It was also requested of me to provide my latest performance review documents from my current employer, as well as two references.

The on-site interview lasted 2.5 hours and consisted of three parts; an HR interview, a technical interview, and a tour. The HR interview was with the same person who performed my phone interview and spent most of the time explaining to me how the benefits work, and asking if I had any questions about the benefits programs. This interview lasted about 30 minutes.

The technical interview was with three software developers; one was a manager, and the other two worked under the manager. This interview lasted about 1.5 hours and consisted of several questions, the important ones I have listed in the Interview Questions portion. In addition to the questions I listed, there were multiple programming concept questions, similar to the ones asked during the phone interview.

Something very important to note is that Garmin uses only C++ and not any other languages. When they asked my language set, I listed the 8 to 10 that I use in my current job, and the Garmin developers were not familiar with any of them (they only knew C++). Yet, they were adamant that I prove my proficiency in OOP, specifically C++, and were not concerned with much else. It gave the appearance, to me, that the software development at Garmin might be behind the times, and not moving forward with the industry.

After the technical interview was a tour of the campus that lasted about 30 minutes, after which I was dismissed. The building is very old with low lighting, and most offices are in the middle of the buildings without windows. There are often 3 to 4 employees sharing a small interior office. It was not very inviting.

I hope this experiences and observation is helpful to others.

Interview Questions

• What is multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever coded for multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Are what are the advantages and disadvantages with multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • How familiar are you with C++ or other object oriented programming languages?   Answer Question
    • What is wrong with this code, and how can you improve it?
      (I was then handed a printed code block and handed a pen.)   Answer Question
    • Describe your latest programming project (you may draw on a white board if needed).   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Garmin?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • What programming languages are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chanhassen, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Chanhassen, MN (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Applied online, emailed by recruiter for a phone screen. 35 min call to tell me about Garmin and ask me basic questions.

50 min technical screen call with Sr. Engineer Manager. Tell me about yourself, what technology are you most familiar with, tell me more about those, tell me about these technologies I see on your resume, technologies used in your projects and at internships, etc. Do you do testing with your code? He asked pretty good technical questions, not too difficult but not easy. Everything went really well and I was excited to hear that they wanted me to come onsite for a 3 hour interview.

I went onsite in Chanhassen, starting with a 30 min tour/benefits discussion with the office manager. The office looked very new, but the layout is terrible. It was highwall cubicles and dead silent for all their 40 employees. I didn't see a single person. I was surprised that we weren't the only two in the building. She took me to a conference room where I was met by an IT Manager (the one I had a phone screen with), Product Manager, Software Engineer, and an offsite software engineer called in. They started with basic behavioral questions read off of a script: What did you do when somebody didn't do their work? When was a time you couldn't work with somebody? Next, basic tech questions read off of a script: What is HTML? CSS? Do you know what relational databases are? The call-in guy asked: abstract class vs interface in Java? What are your specialties and what do you shine in? Why do you like software development? Why do you want to work at Garmin? In all, it was an hour.

For the next 1.5 hours, the call-in guy left and a software engineer walked in. This is where things started to get stressful and tiring. First whiteboard question: You are given two version numbers, write methods that check if one is up to date and tell you which one is newer. It seemed simple but I struggled to understand the wording of the question, like what were the inputs and what the purpose was. Did you want me to return a yes/no match, return the version number that is correct, return the incorrect one, or what? I eventually wrote a class that handled version numbers correctly according to their specifications. The next whiteboarding question was: Write methods to calculate the running average, where you are given two inputs, one is an array of ints, the other is the grouping number. This one was really easy and I wrote it fairly quickly with one minor mistake that got fixed in a second. The next whiteboard question was: explain the best algorithm to calculate the highest rolling average from the start of a matrix to the end of the matrix, but rules: can only move right and down and must go from top left corner to bottom right corner. The nature of this question was confusing...write methods? They said no, just explain how you would solve this. I explained some algorithmic ideas, time complexity, the difficulty of the problem, but this wasn't what they were looking for. They said you need to keep track of each average as you go through the matrix. They were only looking for their version of the answer. The last question was to design a recipe website with database, server, frontend, etc. Followed by changing requirements.

In all, the 2.5 hours of technical questions was way too long and painful. I've never seen a company give a technical interview longer than 1.5 hours and more than 2 whiteboarding questions. It seemed like they are looking for developers that are very technically smart and want to work independently. It's not a very collaborative environment, each team works in big cubicles scattered throughout the office. They do a mixture of agile and waterfall. However, they are very up to date with technology, which impressed me. I didn't feel like a fit for Garmin at this office.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

Phone Call with HR after a week of application. Interview with Team Leads one week later. There would have been on site interview for which they decided not to proceed with me as they were specially looking for someone with experience in Aviation with a CS degree and an experience of 1-3 years.

Interview Questions

• How have you resolved any conflicts at your work? How have you shown leadership at work? Why did you apply for this role? Describe your current role and few questions related to technologies that I said I used.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas, OH (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas, OH (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

I applied to the software engineering job through the companies career section. I got a call from HR representative asking for dates for telephone interview. Questions were more of HR type. Why Garmin ? Salary expectation,... I was able to pass through the phone interview and they called me for on-site interview. I had three 1:1 interview with technical lead that lasted for 3 hours. Question were of average difficulty. Few programming questions. I thought i did well but i got an email after 1 month saying I was not accepted.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ (US)) in February 2010.

Interview

first round -hr phone interview
    second round - tech interview

Interview Questions

• questions on my projects
      questions on multithreading
      one puzzle.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas, AL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas, AL (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

first phone, then on site, three round, technical Q

Interview Questions

• what's your favorite working environment   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin in March 2009.

Interview

Group interview with technical leads asking various medium difficulty questions for the first interview. Then was invited back for a second interview, this consisted of a panel interview with the development managers. These were more personality based questions regarding how you would react in certain situations type questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a coworker was not pulling their weight?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO (US)) in August 2008.

Interview

The questions mainly focused on C/C++ Programing and the projects at an previous internship.

offer declined

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin in March 2009.

Interview

First round was telephonic interview which was mostly based on questions on resume related stuffs and lot of Non-technical questions. e.g. Conflict management with supervisor, team members, why you have opted Computer/IT for Post Graduation etc?

Interview Questions

• what would you like to change in your career if you are given power to do so?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Chandler, AZ (US)).

Interview

Pretty standard Software Engineer Intern interview experience. I had my technical interview well before my HR phone screen which I thought was very odd. During the technical interview the two guys conducting my interview left the room.. which I thought was also very odd. This defeats the purpose of seeing how I solve the problem and only looks at my solution.

Interview Questions

• If you were to develop a very large project, where would you begin?   Answer Question
    • If a program is running slowly on a computer which has a large amount of memory and processing power, how would you speed it up? Logic cannot be simplified.   1 Answer
    • In C, write a function that takes a 16 bit integer as input and outputs it's ascii value   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.