Garmin Reviews

3.8
Garmin President and CEO Clifton Pemble
Clifton Pemble
Pros
Cons
  • "Non engineering positions do not have much of an opportunity for career path development/growth(in 22 reviews)

• "Cliff (the CEO) was once a software engineer and a lot of upper management started out in engineering as well(in 17 reviews)

1. "Great work environment!"

in New Delhi

I worked at Garmin for less than a year

Pros

- Fewer team members working efficiently as a team. - Eager to teach the technical as well as non-technical aspect to a fresher/trainee. - Management is quite supportive in getting newly recruited employees to learn the deeper intricacies of the industry.

Cons

-Basically hardly any cons whatsoever.

Continue reading
  2. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great health care options and generous roll over of PTO from year to year

Cons

Work life balance can be a struggle, but is becoming more of a focus

3. "Good"

Current Employee - Advanced Software Engineer in Taipei

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is better than most other companies

Cons

There is a little boring of the job

4. "Good benefits, Good Location, Good People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Garmin full-time

Pros

Good benefits, Good Location, Good People

Cons

Too much work to get done by deadlines

5. "Intership"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly HR and team to work with.

Cons

The location lacks somewhat in activities outside of work.

6. "Careful Company for Better or Worse"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Conservative approach means less job volatility, feeling of consistency for employees, and preparation for bad times in economy. The culture historically has been friendly and personable, although that may be changing. Great medical benefits for single or family, overall good benefits package.

Cons

Management seems to be losing some of the original vision, or at least rhetoric, that Garmin is an employee first company, with a family atmosphere. Garmin seems to be getting more corporate, and less personally interested in their employees. Additionally, a negative to the conservative financial approach the company takes is that they are less likely to offer highly competitive salaries for top talent. Not the greatest paid time off plan. The flexibility with working hours and time off isn't great either.

Continue reading
  7. "Great Company, Great Culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is great, everyone is easy to work with. Great 401k match. Good work life balance.

Cons

Benefits somewhat subpar, besides 401k and Employee Stock Purchase Plan

8. "Great Team. Great People!"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer

I have been working at Garmin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since working here, I've been only ever treated with respect and kindness from the team. All the members in the team work hard in achieving great goals for the quarters. Team members strive to help one another and making sure that we support each other to continue to grow in our careers.

Cons

Pay could be better. Being in the Midwest prevents higher pay rates when comparing to SF, Seattle, NYC.

"The perfect place for the less ambitious career path."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Garmin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible 401k match. I have yet to see a tech company get anywhere near it. Great work life balance. I never saw anyone (engineering or management) ever working over 40 hours a week and the building would be pretty empty at 5pm every day. Great horizontal job opportunities as an engineer. If you are working in one tech stack and want to move to another, there is likely another opening somewhere else in the company you can switch to. A lot of responsibility and valuable experience from day one. If you're starting your career and want to have the stability of a large corporation while also getting opportunities to work like a startup this is a great place to be.

Cons

Extremely conservative. The phrase I heard often was "Garmin likes to bet on base hits, not home runs". This does result in some pros like being extremely stable through downturns, but also results in ambitious projects being turned down and frequent pushes to maintain the status quo. Not a lot of diversity. Most decision makers in the company are white males, which can (and has by their own admission) resulted in a lot of missed opportunities in some market segments. A lot of groupthink due to a culture of promoting from within the company. Cliff (the CEO) was once a software engineer and a lot of upper management started out in engineering as well. There are also numerous examples of leaders being hired from outside of the company who end up leaving because they have a tough time adjusting to the culture. The performance review process was a waste of time. Your goals were set at the beginning of the year with little to no guidance from management and then never refined or discussed again until your performance review at the end of the year. Your manager would then leave a small blurb about the goal (sometimes as short as one sentence) and that was it. Garmin is very strict about promotions until you fit their job description. The general engineering path is around 2 years to become a Software Engineer 2A/B, 5 years to become a Senior Software Engineer, and 10 years to become a Tech Lead (with even further levels available, but it is generally rare). I was told by multiple managers that despite me exceeding expectations for multiple performance cycles and already operating at the next level, I would have to wait until I hit my years of experience requirement to advance to the next level. Olathe (and generally Kansas) does not have a lot of large tech companies, so it is challenging to advance your career long term while staying in the area (dependent on tech stack). If you're committing to moving to the Olathe HQ, you should be prepared to stay at Garmin for the duration of your stay because there are not very many places to move to if you're unhappy.

10. "I have been working at Garmin full-time for 3.5 years"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Taoyuan

I have been working at Garmin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People here are very friendly, and willing to discuss and share some novel views or thoughts. It has complete and clear employee training that helps you familiar with the firm soon

Cons

Lots of miscellaneous works due to the manufacturing role

Found 700 reviews