General Mills Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

General Mills Interview Questions

Updated 23 Feb 2018

3.2

Manufacturing Line Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belvidere, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Belvidere, IL (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

1- Apply online
    2- Receive a phone call from the company HR recruiter
    3- Phone screen with the hiring manager & HR business associate
    4- Onsite Interview for 5 hours including lunch & plant tour
    5- Final Feedback

Interview Questions

• What makes you fit in this position   1 Answer

Senior IT Analyst - Maximo Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden Valley, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was excellent. It all started from phone conversations to actually the site visit and face to face meetings. The process was very well structured. I had a chance to not only meet with the core Maximo Team but also individuals from Supply Chain, Global operations, IT developers, Human Resources and the Recruiting Manager.

Interview Questions

• There was a question about Java configuration: whether I have ever done it?   1 Answer

Manufacturing Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Hannibal, MO (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

I received an email at the start of the process for a phone interview/screening. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were behavioral based on past experiences. The interview was conducted by the Operations Manager and Human Resource Manager. Approximately 2 weeks later I was notified by phone by the Human Resource Manager that they would like me to visit the plant for an onsite interview. I am a candidate out of state and General Mills generously paid for the air travel, hotel and rental car. Logistically it ran very smooth for the short visit. At the beginning of the interview process I was given a tour by a Manufacturing Supervisor/Team Leader. He was very knowledgeable and answered every question I had. During the tour it was very refreshing to see how smooth the processes seemed to be in what I thought would be a very fast paced environment. Employees were working at a safe pace and saw several smiling faces...morale seemed high. After the tour I was given a 1-1 interview with another Manufacturing Supervisor/Team Leader. The questions were behavioral based and I answered each question using the STAR method. Afterwards they had lunch catered in and was joined by a Manufacturing Supervisor and a Manufacturing Associate. Lunch was more of speaking about myself, why I was interested in the position, and more questions I had for them. I interviewed with the Human Resource Manager after lunch. Again behavior based with the STAR method. After the interview was my final interview with the Operations Manager. More behavior based questions and expectations. At the end I was somewhat interviewed by a Human Resource Manager who has been in contact with me throughout the process. Her questions were based on my experience of the day and also more about myself. The overall experience was far greater than I expected. Every person that I was in conversation with was very professional and very knowledgeable in their expertise. From my perspective, General Mills is about their people. It was a huge point for me to see how safety is number one not whatever it takes to get the job done. At this point the process has taken 8 weeks, but quite understandable since this started a week or so before the holidays.

Interview Questions

• Describe a process you created but failed at, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to mentor someone?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in food manufacturing?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN (US)

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minnetonka, MN (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

I had previously interviewed for an AMM role and received a rejection. I reached out to the recruiter and asked if I could be considered for a senior marketing associate role. The recruiter got back to me a few days later and said yes, and supplied me with the link to apply for the position online. After I applied, I received an email stating that I was selected to move forward with final round in-person interviews. The interview was set up within one week.

I was instructed to take two behavioral assessments as well as a deductive reasoning test and to complete them at least 48 hours before my interview. The behavioral assessments repeated a lot of the same questions, just phrased in different ways. The deductive reasoning test was 18 questions in 20 minutes. It was difficult. Not sure how one can prepare for it though.

I was picked up by a recruiting assistant 20 minutes after my interview was supposed to start. No apologies or explanation was given. That set up a time crunch and threw me a bit off my interview game. There was not enough time for me to ask my interviewers many questions. In fact, I only had time to ask one question of the marketing manager that this position reported to. After the two interviews, I had a 30 minute conversation with another marketing associate at the caribou coffee that they have in the building. I was then walked to the recruiting office where I met with the recruiter who I had been communicating with via email.

The recruiter apologized for the lateness of the recruiting assistant, but again, offered no explanation. The recruiter stated that if an offer was extended a background check, an employment check, and a drug test would be conducted. The recruiter stated that the process takes two weeks, at which point new hires usually give their employer their two-week notice. The time from offer to start date is approximately one month. The recruiter then stated that I would hear back within a week. I found out exactly one week later, through email, that I would not be receiving an offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to tackle a large amount of data and come up with a conclusion.   Answer Question
    • What CPG company is doing a good job with their marketing? After I answered, the follow up was: how would you capitalize on that campaign in a grocery store?   Answer Question
    • How big is the volume for the business you currently work on?   Answer Question

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Application

Interview

Thorough: General Mills does an extensive amount of testing - personality and aptitude - and interviewing - case and behavioral - before making an offer. Nonetheless, the people were amazing! Recruiters, hiring managers, other team members were responsive, transparent and friendly. Fit is very important

Interview Questions

• If you were to launch a brand tomorrow, what would you consider doing and why?   Answer Question

Application Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Golden Valley, MN (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Once I was selected for a phone interview, the whole process went fairly quickly. The interview took a little more than 3 hours, meeting with 7 different people. The interviewers consisted of HR, the hiring manager, team members, and a manager from another team.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing about this job that you don't look forward to or wouldn't enjoy doing?   1 Answer

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Mills (Joplin, MO (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

It was like most interviews. The questions ranged between previous employment, told about the job and was I willing to relocate if needed. I believe it was a normal interview, but be prepared to tell them why you would be a good fit versus somebody at the next interview.

Interview Questions

• What do I think I would bring to their company   1 Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online sometime in September for the AMM position. In early November I received an email from General Mills HR to sign up for an interview slot for a phone interview.

The phone interview was a little tougher than I expected in that there were more case-ish questions around innovative products and approaching marketing problems than I anticipated. I'd say it was a 50/50 mix between behavioral and case questions. About a week later I learned that I was invited to final interviews at General Mills' offices in Minneapolis.

Before your final interviews you need to complete a Hogan Personality Inventory and a deductive-reasoning test. Deductive reasoning test was very reminiscent of the Verbal section from the GMAT, and similar to the GMAT the limited time factor was a large component of the difficulty. Make sure to allocate your time wisely and not devote too much time to one specific problem.

The final round is really well-run and a great opportunity to get a feel for the company and its culture. They fly you in the day before your interviews and you get to have dinner with marketers at General Mills along with your fellow candidates. Dinner was non-evaluative and I appreciated how candid and open my hosts were.

Interview day starts with a breakfast with more marketers for more frank, non-evaluative conversation. Then you go into the case portion. You get 75 minutes to devise a strategy around a scenario outlined in a packet of about 10 slides for a General Mills product. As a general tip it helps to have a strong knowledge of General Mills' brands (especially their major ones) because you can bring in that knowledge on the case and just to the interviews in general. You are given a laptop with no internet access to create a PowerPoint that you will present to a Marketing Manager at General Mills in one of your interviews. After 75 minutes you have a 15 minute break, and then you get printouts of your case that you can mark up for a further 15 minutes. My advice for the case is focus on the fundamental marketing frameworks (4 Ps, STP, etc.) and use your time wisely as the 75 minutes go by quickly.

After that is a tour of the office, which was a nice way to learn more about the company and its history and get a feel for its culture. That is followed by a lunch with a General Mills marketer. They were generally one-on-one or two-on-one so it was a great opportunity again to learn more about the company and just pillory people with random questions.

After lunch you finally get to the evaluative portion of interview day. There are 3 30-minute back-to-back-to-back interviews, generally with Marketing Managers. One of these interviews has you walking through your case. My interviewer would chime in from time to time asking about why I made a certain assumption or adopted a particular strategy. All of his questions and concerns were totally valid and I felt like it was really fair; at no point was he ever difficult for the sake of being difficult.

The other two interviews were a mix of behavioral questions and case-y questions. I didn't get any of the classic "Market share is up but sales are down; what is going on?" questions but did get asked for well-marketed products and trends in the general marketing space. I was also asked to walk through my resume and explain why brand management, why CPG, and why General Mills. All of my three interviewers were tremendously nice and the interviews were pretty conversational.

I interviewed on a Friday. That following Monday I received an offer. General Mills HR was great in terms of being transparent throughout the process and earn bonus points for being so quick to provide an offer (they told candidates to expect to hear decisions within 2 weeks).

Note: I was a campus hire (I'm a second-year MBA) and the interviews may be slightly different for experienced AMM hires. The case is the same for all AMM candidates, but I could see the experienced hire interviews being more technical.

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)).

Interview

Got an employee referral. My first interview was over the phone. My final interview steps were on site interviews, there were 3 interviews and a sales role play. The process took about two weeks.

Business Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

1) Personality test and logic test
    2) phone screen
    I interviewed with a past BMA and she asked very typical behavioral questions
    3) on-site interview
    I had 3 behavioral interviews and 1 role play interview
    The behavioral interviews, again, had very typical behavioral interview questions.
    Before the role play, there was an hour of prep time (more than enough to me) for you to go through the information and gather what you will present. After that, you will talk to the interviewer as if you are talking to the customer (retailer) and present to them your argument.

Everyone I met were really friendly and genuinely tried to get to know me. If you make it to the on-site interview, an employee will take you out to dinner (1-on-1) the night before and you will eat breakfast with a current BMA and lunch with another current BMA. You get to ask a lot of questions and really get to know the company.

Interview Questions

• Why sales? Why the BMA role/program?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.