NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

2.6

Human Centered Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)).

Interview

Went through three interviews and the whole process took about 2.5-3 months. First interview was a 30 minute call with an HR rep who robotically read through a list of standard questions that had little to do with the job. Second one was scheduled about 3 weeks later and was an hour long video call with the hiring manager where I presented some of my work and we had a conversation about the job and my experience. It was difficult to get a sense of the specifics of the job and what they were looking for though, even though I asked many questions.

About a month later out of the blue, they contacted me to schedule a third interview. This one was an all day video call from 8 am until 5 pm with one short lunch break. There were about 10 people on the call throughout the day and it was an extremely disorganized experience. First I was asked to give an hour long “job talk” (which is the wrong term to use for a design job and should have been a red flag—it’s called a portfolio presentation in the design world, guys). Then I was given a design challenge project with no advance notice of what the topic would be and asked to lead a team through various stages of the project including developing a research plan, conducting interviews, synthesis, prototyping etc. Toward the end of the day I met with the team I had done the design challenge with to discuss how it went and to learn more about their work. Then I met with others on the extended team, and finally with the hiring manager again. Several members of the team acknowledged that the interview process was flawed and asked for suggestions on how they could improve the experience, so I ended up feeling like I had failed and was simply helping them make the process better for future candidates.

Overall, it was difficult to have meaningful discussions with individuals since so many people were on the call at the same time, and it was a grueling process that seemed designed to set candidates up for failure. Also, the team didn’t seem aligned on what type of a candidate they were looking for and no one was able to clearly articulate their vision of the job. They did mention many times throughout the interview that design is a relatively new area with NASA JPL. At the very end of the day, the hiring manager mentioned that they were hoping for someone with Six Sigma experience, which makes me think they were looking for someone who was more of a product manager hybrid than anything. I’ve seem this same position posted for over a year now so I think they are figuring it out as they go. Unfortunately that results in a lot of wasted time and effort for candidates.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with others being hostile to the role of design before?   Answer Question

HR Business Partner Interview

Interview

Awful candidate experience. I was scheduled to meet with the hiring manager and kept checking in after for feedback to see if I was still in the running. There was significant scarcity from the recruiter to stay in touch/connected, in sharing feedback, providing updates, etc. I always had to check in and one time she replied back to my email around 2-3 weeks after I had sent it. When I didn't hear back frequently, I just assumed I was no longer in the running. Then come to my surprise she emailed back saying I was still being considered and they were still trying to identify a slate of candidates to move to the next round (so it has literally taken them at least 2 months now to figure this out). Mind boggling to think that this is the candidate experience for HR roles in the organization and this is the taste that HR candidates are left with.

Interview Questions

• How did you support the business in a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Director, HR Business Partner Interview

Interview

I replied to an online job posting that I thought I fit perfectly. I waited several weeks and they finally emailed for a quick phone screening and then nothing.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in June 2020.

Interview

Fairly pleasant and straightforward interview process. Started off with an HR interview followed by an interview with a manager. The last step was the technical interview, after that I got the call for the offer. Overall process took about 3 weeks from when the first phone call happened. They were very quick and responsive throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenging problem that you faced and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

The interview was both behavioral and technical. The behavioral portions lasts about 10 minutes. I was asked to solve mechanical design problems and about material properties of different metals.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

On-campus interview, followed by on-site visit. The on-campus interview was very relaxed, basically just behavioral. On-site consisted of a full day of interviews with multiple people. Some were very relaxed and behavioral, others more technical in nature.

Failure Analysis Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Applied online, first received a fairly brief phone interview answering a couple 'describe a time' questions, followed by a request for an all-day onsite interview. The request came toward the end of December, and I found myself unavailable to take a day off from work right before the holidays, but they were willing to accommodate and wait until January. The on-site interview was composed of mostly one-on-ones with a presentation to the team about halfway through, each event lasting 30 minutes to an hour:

1) HR
    2) Lab supervisor + lab tour
    3) Related group supervisor
    3) Lunch with team
    4) Presentation to team (~15 min) + question and answers with everyone
    5) Teammate
    6) Section management.

Everyone was friendly, the environment was very relaxed. It felt like more of a meet and greet than most interviews I've had, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about what I have experience in, FA scenarios, and what equipment I use in what frequency. The majority were can-you-be-useful-to-us questions, and are-we-going-to-want-to-work-with-you questions, which make way more sense to me than the textbook-memorization types I've gotten in other interviews. I recall a few technical questions, but nobody was bothered with extreme details, general comprehension seemed more important. Some technical examples:

- How does photoemission work?
      - How does CT work?
      - Can you draw the IV curve of a diode?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewed on campus. Overall experience wasn't great; while the technical questions weren't challenging, the interviewer was intimidating. There wasn't a very transparent interview process and it took several months for them to reject me.

Interview Questions

• Given X project that we're doing, how would you improve it?   Answer Question

Aerospace Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Interviewed with Section 313 (Systems Engineering). Over the course of the day, I met with 7 different people for 30 minute - 1 hour interviews with each person. The interviews were behavioral with typical interview questions and questions about my resume. I also had to give a 45 minute presentation to the group. There were 3 breaks, a small one after the first 4 interviews, a one hour lunch break with someone from the group, and a small break before my presentation.

This was for a generic entry-level (with BS) position. I was called a few days after the interview and was told that I would not be getting the position.

Interview Questions

• Which group(s) that you've met with today would you be most interested in working with?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

Interview

I just had one single interview phone call after an initial short interest gauging call. A few days later, I had an offer. They don't typically negotiate wages for interns.

Interview Questions

• Explain some of the projects you have on your resume and they would ask you questions about the details of the technology to see if you knew your stuff   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.