NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 31 May 2019

2.6

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

HR requested a phone interview a couple of months after applying. On site interview with HR, then supervisor, then manager, then panel of three team members followed and took half a day. The following week, I was presented with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain the change control process.   1 Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Interview

Applied online and got a call a week later to set up a phone screening the next day. The screening took about 20 minutes.

Questions:
    -Do you have experience in language X?
    -Do you have experience in databases? MongoDB?
    -Do you have experience in any web development languages?
    -What would you like to do at NASA?
    -Resume questions, personal projects, etc

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)) in November 2010.

Interview

Responded to e-mail job advertisement.
    Phone interview went great, spoke to one project manager and one developer. Covered some Java language facts and discussed work experience.
    Invited for interview, spent all day, 30 minutes each talking with various technical staff, gave 1 hour talk on grad school work, HR at end of the day.

Interview Questions

• Could you start right away? (Before you finish your degree)   1 Answer

Negotiation

No room for negotiation. JPL salaries are sub-par and they don't counter-offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had initial on-campus interview (found posting on school career website), then after a few months was invited for full day of onsite interviews. On-campus interview consisted of mostly technical questions, while onsite was mostly meeting and chatting with different team members and finding potential matches for projects. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly and knowledgable, and most questions centered around my experience/past projects.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most interesting project you've worked on recently.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)) in February 2010.

Interview

Initial on campus group interview with 3 managers testing interests and basic background knowledge. Then scheduled a second follow up on lab interview with several groups which were interested given my background. These consisted of 1:1 45min interviews with the managers/engineers of each group testing technical questions as well as some Q/A for the groups.

Interview Questions

• Describe some design patterns used in software engineering and discuss how they're used. Start naming as many as you can from the GoF book.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in February 2014.

Interview

The interview was relatively easy -- interviewer cared a lot more about my thought process and current experience (via personal and school projects) than he did about technical ability. YMMV, though, as I had a lot of projects to talk about and they might get more technical if you don't.

I had a second interview a few days later and was given an offer the day after that.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I had experience doing/learning anything relevant to the position I applied to   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Boston, MA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then received a couple of emails over the next day, from teams that were interested in my skillset. I had phone interviews which each, which consisted mainly of explaining past projects (problem-solving strategies, what I would do differently) and asking questions to gauge my background.

Interview Questions

• What application, that you created, are you most proud of and why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in April 2017.

Interview

Got a call from the department manager for short discussion about what the position would entail and if I was interested. Then had a short technical interview where I had to share my screen and code three short programs. Very basic codes, had to be done in text edit.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, in a couple weeks received the standard no thank you email. Then a few weeks later, received a phone call from HR that showed interest in my experience and stated that she was surprised that I had not been considered for the position I applied for she would follow through and reconsider my interest in JPL. About five or six weeks later, another HR person called me and asked if I was available. Since I had just started a contracting position, I stated to her that I was interested in The position at JPL, and can be available for an interview the following week. Ended my phone conversation After a brief discussion about my salary and
    benefits details. Then in a couple days, received another no thank you email from HR, stating that they are pursuing other candidates. So, I don't know what to conclude, but, I certainly had the qualifications as stated in job requirements but never interviewed with any technical staff. Draw your own conclusions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my salary (by HR rep)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena, CA (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interviews were very easy compared to those of most companies I interviewed for. Very very basic coding questions and logic questions. The phone screen is very conversational with a recruiter. And then there's a technical phone screen, which is extremely easy

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.