Pocket Gems Software Engineer, Backend Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Pocket Gems Software Engineer, Backend Interview Questions

2.8

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

two round phone interviews and then onsite interview, there would be 2-5 round interviews onsite depends on your performance. I just got two and then they just let me go.

Interview Questions

• This is a design question, they asked me to design a server control system for a survey website, there would be two basic functions, one is next() and the other one is getQuestions(), the next() function would check if the answer to the survey is valid , and the function getQuestions() would return the questions in the next page. You should write out what you need.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Pocket Gems

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

After submitting my resume online, I was contacted by a recruiter who collected my background and also my area of interest.
    After that there were phone interviews set up. I totally had 3 phone interviews.
    All three were coding interviews.
    The third interview was bad. I struggled initially with the puzzle, though i solved it finally.
    I was asked dutch flag. I started with a simpler version of it but the recruiter wanted just wat he expected. Though I explained him i will bring in the modules he wanted, he was not satisfied. And atlast we ran out of time and I was not called back after that.

Interview Questions

• 1. finding LCA
      2. Deep Graph Copy
      3. puzzle involving digital weight and marbles and dutch flag.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in February 2013.

Interview

Phone Interview:
    1. String reverse (complexity)
    2. Least Common Ancestor of two nodes in a tree (complexity, optimization)

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

Met at a career fair, and they contacted me for a phone interview about a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• Asked about string reversal, and then how to find the Least Common Ancestor of 2 children in a tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online they contacted me for a phone interview within 3 weeks. The phone interviewer was extremely patient helpful and courteous. The HR manager was prompt in setting up the interview and replying via Jobvite

Interview Questions

• How to find a sub-string in a string? How to convert a ternary expression into a binary tree structure?   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

apply for software engineer position through website, get a response very quickly to arrange phone interview, nearly one week

2 phone interview each around one hour, mainly coding question and use share document
    it is said will assign according to experience and preference
    coding question always focus on time complexity

Interview Questions

• Round 1 1 Strstr() 2 find top k frequency number
      Round 2 1 sort color 2 find next node in bst with parent pointer and without parent pointer   1 Answer

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

Applied online, They asked me to set up interview dates and time. Once I sent the dates, the recruiter did not respond. I had applied on career page as well as on angel list. Apparently they had rejected me because of my online application and had selected me for the interview because of my application on Angel list. I had to send multiple mails to request status and finally they told me they cannot go through the interview.

Something similar had happened before as well, when I was selected for the interview process from a coding competition (where pocket gems itself out the blue contacted me for an interview) and later not interviewed. Back then i thought they might have had some reason.
    But now I figured that their recruiting process is flawed, after reading multiple reviews on Glassdoor.

The recruiters don't bother responding to the candidates queries. they reply till you are in the game and don't bother later. I have gone through multiple interviews, even recruiters at Google, such a big company, make sure the candidates are updated regularly and courteously.

I really liked Pocket Gems, but after this experience, I don't want to be mistreated like this anymore by this company. So, I would not bother applying unless they have better recruiting standards.

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems.

Interview

I have passed the two rounds phone interview and I will be onsite on next week.
    Round1: implement Strstr(), find top k frequent strings in a string array.
    Round2: give you a code, you need to understand it, find the most of its edge cases, then change the code for those edge cases.

Interview Questions

• The follow up is kind of real problem, at first I didn't get the right way, then after he hint me, I just know how to solve it efficiently.   1 Answer

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in January 2015.

Interview

I got an email from the hiring manager via jobvite and the phone screen was set up for the next week. It went pretty quick. I was applying for the data mining team although the engineer that called was not a part of the team and didn't know what they were working on when I asked toward the end of the interview. He asked me two questions after asking me to tell about myself.

1) How to find the index of a String in another string ?What is the complexity?
    A) Using find() method in python. Worst case :- O(ab) where a and b are length of the strings.

2) How to convert a ternary expression of the form a?b:c into a binary tree structure. The expression can be nested? Got stuck on this and couldn't answer it.

The interviewer was helpful and dropped hints but binary trees isnt my strongest suite.

Interview Questions

• How to convert a ternary expression of the form a?b:c into a binary tree structure. The expression can be nested   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pocket Gems in May 2015.

Interview

Two algorithm questions, first one is find the position of the substring in a given string. The second one is construct a tree from tenary expression. a>b?c:d. given test cases and some definitions of classes, go through every line of your code, how to improve the second question, ask the trade offs between different solutions, explain the time complexity, Ask me if I have any question for him.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.