Southwest Gas Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Southwest Gas Interview Questions

Interviews at Southwest Gas

3.1

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Las Vegas, NV (US)).

Interview

The first part was phone screen interview by two engineers. They asked typical questions such as "What do you know about the company?" and "Why do you want to work for us?" A week after, I received a call to set up for second phone interview (since I live in Texas). This second interview was tough for me. The same two engineers asked multiple sets of questions (situational, behavioral, and technical). It lasted about 45 minutes. The following week, I was invited for in-person interview in one of their offices in Las Vegas. They asked me a few more questions like "Tell us about yourself." and "Tell us about your leadership experience." There were also a couple of tasks to do; math/engineering test and assignment to write letter to respond to a conflict. They also gave background and introduction about the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagree with a coworker.
      How do you increase pressure in a pipeline?
      What are some challenges in designing a pipeline?
      Describe steps you take in making a decision.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

Phone screening, phone interview with 3 employees, and an in-person interview with the same 3 employees. The screening and phone interview were typical interview questions asking about related experience and behavioral questions. The in-person interview was a 3-person panel. I was asked over 20 questions, made a presentation, and had a written assignment. The questions were mostly behavioral and were asking for examples that were so specific it was hard to pull real-life examples on the spot, and often repeated character attributes. The written assignment had horrible directions with no background to the situation they described. The presentation topic was also vague, unprofessional, and required a lot of thinking to come up with a topic.

Interview Questions

• "Please prepare a 5-7 minute presentation telling us something interesting about yourself."   Answer Question

GIS Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas in May 2018.

Interview

3 person interview on site. Technical questions followed by personal questions. Took about 1.5 hours. They were friendly and tried to create a relaxing atmosphere. This was the first interview in my life and they did make it smooth.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that you had a disagreement with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Tempe, AZ (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

Several weeks after applying, I was contacted by the hiring manager to set up a phone interview, which ended up being a fairly standard set of behavioral based questions. Within a week, I was asked by the same hiring manager to come in for an in-person interview. Since I lived out-of-state, the company was about to have me just do a video conference interview, but this hiring manager apparently fought to get travel accommodations approved for me so I could fly in to physically be there. The in-person interview involved giving a brief slideshow presentation about myself, answering more behavioral and some technical questions, and completing a brief writing assignment involving a mock email to a disagreeable contractor.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you and a supervisor of yours disagreed on something work-related.   Answer Question

Dispatch Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Las Vegas, NV (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of about 6 people. The process took a long time. It took over a month before I heard back and this did not include the time they scheduled for the test you had to take before you could even interview. Each person would take their turn on asking you a question. The six people were from different departments.

Interview Questions

• They called me and stated I need to take a test first before I would be able to move onto the next step which was an interview. The test took 2 hours and it was broken up into section. If you failed one section then you were dismissed. If you made it through the whole test which I did then you moved onto the interview. The test was not that hard. It was mainly common sense questions and they give you plenty of time.   1 Answer

Administrative Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Las Vegas, NV (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received an invitation to interview a couple weeks later. I was not informed how long the interview would take, so I anticipated the usual half hour or so. When I arrived, I met with a panel of 3 individuals who took turns asking me questions. There were MANY in-depth scenario questions that required a lot of detail and critical thinking. They were extremely difficult to answer, especially because many of the questions were similar. The interview itself lasted two hours, and it was very mentally draining.

Interview Questions

• Explain in detail a time when you and a supervisor had a disagreement.   Answer Question
    • Explain a mistake that you made in your previous employment. Why do you feel it was a mistake and how would you correct the situation if you could go back in time?   Answer Question

Purchasing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (New York, NY (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Slower then Christmas! Applied online, got a response with job specific questions to answer. I answered all of the questions and did not hear anything for about 3 weeks. Not a word. Not a thank you, nothing. Got a call from a woman who spoke to me and asked if I would like to come in for an interview and set a date. Went in for the interview. They had a set, standard list of questions...I wish I would have looked up standard questions for purchasing manager position, it would have helped. They were very generic. The people I interviewed with were extremely low energy...It was horrible. It seemed drawn out and I did not get the impression that they were looking for someone that could technically do the job, as much as they were looking for someone that fit into their culture. When you walk in those offices, the place is like a morgue! Seriously, I dont know how anyone stays awake in there! Honestly! Maybe they were all sleeping because I swear that you could hear a pin drop in there! It was not at all warm and comfy...It was like a 1950's movie office environment, nobody was smiling and only those interviewing me actually greeted me. It was a bit Twighlight Zoneish! Went through the 90 minute interview, left and wrote a thank you letter. I never heard anything else. No thanks but no thanks. No thanks for your time and effort. NOTHING. I knew I was not going to get an offer as the entire interview was uber uncomfortable. However, it is common courtesy to thank someone for their investment of time and energy when they apply for a job and are interviewed! To be completely forthcoming, I would not have taken an offer if one were made. I couldnt see myself going there day in and out, I am very high energy and motivated, it would have been miserable for me. Yet I still wrote a thank you letter because it is the right thing to do. They invested as much time as I did. Very much a disappointment that a huge corporation cannot take the time to thank candidates!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to make a decision without all of the data?   1 Answer
    • What are some of the things that you monitor with your buyers.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Tucson, AZ (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

Meet at career fair. They were Looking for an engineer. They offered to anyone who would sign up and showed up to there event. I applied online for the position after the interview

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Phoenix, AZ (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interview. You also have to give a five minute presentation on a topic of their choice. There is also a written assessment. Overall, the interview lasts 2 hours.

New Business Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Tucson, AZ (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

I was invited for a Assessment Test that included Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. About 2-3 days after I received a phone call to go interview in person with the manager and director.

Interview Questions

• What would you consider yourself in Word, Microsoft and PowerPoint? Beginner, intermediate or advanced   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize your work?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you did not complete your work on time and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you did not complete your work to your managers expectations.   Answer Question
    • Why Southwest Gas?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you and a co-worker did not agree on something and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.