Sponge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Sponge Interview Questions

Interviews at Sponge

3.2

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sponge (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I did x5 telephone interviews with the premise being the sixth interview would of been a presentation at the Plymouth head office. So in total it was 5 hours of talking with them over 4 weeks. They were great in terms of moving quickly but I was blown away at the interview process as a whole. It's just way too much and funnily enough once I'd completed the 4th interview they kept referring to the 5th as the 1st interview so basically I spoke to several people over many hours just so they could weigh me up INSANE! Too be fair though, I did enjoy the interviews and they do seem lovely so that was good but they really need to focus on the interview process as they will lose people with that approach and plus the fact that they are not Google nor some other big company so maybe chill out a bit. My last gripe is that I got no feedback and just a general no thanks which is fine but unfair for 5 hours of chats.

In-house Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sponge in April 2019.

Interview

I was interviewed by two charming people who were tremendously welcoming right from the beginning. I felt comfortable in the first five minutes. One of the people was always very conscious if I needed more water or the bathroom and again this added to the warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Once I was settled they asked me series of questions about myself and the work I am currently in. This was followed by writing some qualities for the role and rating myself on a scale of 1-10 and explaining my choices. Then afterwards I presented a presentation that you are expected to send over in advance.

Marketing Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Sponge in March 2019.

Interview

Applied after seeing job advert online. Sent in cv; got called by HR for a telephone interview which lasted c.40 mins. Sadly, I did not go through to the next round so can't comment further.

Interview Questions

• What would your boss say was your strongest /weakest points?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sponge (Brighton, England (UK)) in March 2019.

Interview

1. Contacted on LinkedIn and invited for initial chat. and to consider applying for a role
    2. Call arranged to find out more about the role
    3. Face to Face interview
    4. Interview at their head office in Plymouth with Presentation

Interview Questions

• What was it like for you growing up in your family?   1 Answer

Learning Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sponge (Plymouth, England (UK)) in February 2019.

Interview

45-minute phone interview focused heavily on client-management experience. Not excessively difficult, but was expecting to get through to in-person interview. Colleague says they did two phone interviews several years apart and was told both times they didn't have enough experience, so neither of us is sure what exactly they're looking for!

Interview Questions

• What would your current manager say are your top three strengths? What would they say is something you need to work on?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sponge (Plymouth, England (UK)) in January 2019.

Interview

I had to complete 6 steps in total - 1 x Phone interview, 1 x Soft Skills interview, 1 x 2 hr competency test, 1 x Technical Skills interview and 2 home based activities - overkill for the role I was hired into

Interview Questions

• They will try to catch you out with quite personal questions to see how you'd react - one I thought was particularly inappropriate was;

'Tell us about a significant time in your childhood that has shaped you into the person you are today'   Answer Question

ELearning Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sponge.

Interview

This company are constantly recruiting - that's not because they are growing, it's because they can't keep staff and have a ridiculously insane application process with far too high standards. The whole application screams of a company who think they are something much bigger than they actually are.

I applied directly to SpongeUK through their website and was invited to a phone interview with HR which was then followed by a technical test I could do at home. The technical test took roughly six hours and covered css/javascript. I was then invited in for a 2hr face-to-face interview. This was with two developers and a HR person, this went well and I was informed that I scored the highest of all applicants on the test, I thought this was a good sign.

A week later I am invited in for a trial day, the trial day involved a walk around getting to know the place and then being sat down in front of their own JS framework (of which there is no documentation and no ability to look it up online) and being asked to write a new module for it. I did ask for a help a couple of times during the day but accomplished the task given to me and took part in the end of day team stand-up.

I was then pulled into a review meeting for the last half hour of the day.

A week went by and I heard nothing, I chased and chased but got no response. Two weeks later I received an email saying that I had been unsuccessful but gave no feedback or reason. I emailed back for feedback only to get an out-of-office email for the person who had literally just emailed me saying they were on holiday. I emailed the generic company email and demanded some feedback after spending a full day unpaid at their office. The response I got was that I was too quiet during the day. Yes, they actually said that. As if being thrown into a completely new environment with completely new code isn't scary enough, they said I hadn't been talkative. It's hard to be talkative in those circumstances and also when everyone around you has headphones in, busy doing their own work.

Interview Questions

Sponge Response

22 Mar 2018 – Digital Marketing Executive

Thank you for the feedback. You’re right that we’re constantly recruiting, this is very much in line with our growth strategy and continued success. Over the last 2 years we’ve grown from 60 employees to 110 plus and plan to continuing to grow at this rate for the foreseeable future, because of this we’re always looking for talented individuals to join the Sponge team.

I’m sorry that you found the rigour of our recruitment process demanding, although we make no apologies for the process being challenging, it’s very much designed to ensure we only recruit top talent, who are a great fit for us in terms of both stellar skills and our culture. It’s also designed to give Candidates as much insight as possible into working life at Sponge, as we firmly believe it’s equally important for Candidates to assess whether Sponge is the right fit for them.

I’m concerned that you have come away with the impression that we struggle to keep our staff, as that certainly isn’t the case. We regularly measure our staff turnover and carry out exit interviews with all leavers to understand their motivation for leaving, these range from geographic, new opportunities, or to return to education. I’m pleased to say that whilst we’d always want our turnover to be lower, it does sit below the UK average and in the last few months we’ve had leavers who have approached us about returning or have returned.

If a candidate who has made it through to interview is subsequently unsuccessful, our policy is to inform them of this verbally, over the telephone. Then should they request further feedback this is normally actioned via an email. I’m sorry if you feel this wasn’t reflected in your experience.

We value and reflect on all feedback, so thank you again for your comments, I have fed these back to our Employee Experience Team who are focused on ensuring all our employees and prospective employees feel valued and rewarded as we continue to grow.

We wish you all the best in your future career.

Alan Bourne
    VP of Operations

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sponge.

Interview

There was a telephone interview followed up by some tests. I then had an face to face interview followed up by an interview with a presentation. It was a long process but they were super friendly and the interviews, although formal, did not feel pressured. They were very focused on how you would fit in to the company and its culture.

Interview Questions

• What sort of person do you find it difficult to work with?   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sponge (Plymouth, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview had many steps. First was a phone interview with the Sponge's recruitment department, then a phone interview with Head of Design. Was then emailed a visual task to complete and bring to an interview and present along with my portfolio. Then received a phone call of conformation of my employment

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.