Synthace Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

Interviews at Synthace

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England (UK)).

Interview

A screening call, two algorithmic problems on Hackerrank, a walkthrough of an algorithmic problem with an engineer on a call, an onsite interview. The onsite consists of a system design question, behavioural interview, a lab tour, two algorithmic problems to solve on a whiteboard. Generally, the process is non-stressful and pleasant.

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

24 Feb 2020 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for providing feedback, we're glad you enjoyed the process. We try to make everything as straightforward as possible, so it's nice to know this is working.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Synthace.

Interview

The first round was a call for about 30 min, explaining the companies mission and what to expect in the following round. The second round was technical, conducted by 2 people. This one was a video call interview.

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

12 Mar 2020 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. Although things didn't work out on this occasion, we're glad that you had a positive experience.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synthace.

Interview

Desorganised. Different interviewers ask the same questions, making it very repetitive. The questions do not progress logically. All job descriptions are the same for scientist positions. Interview questions were vague. Feedback after the interview was contradictory and inaccurate. It sounded like they decided I'm a not a good fit but don't know exactly why, so they made up some weird reasons.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background (Had to rehearse my CV 3 consecutive times).   1 Answer

22 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a positive experience.

Indeed, there is a huge amount of overlap between the different positions in our Lab team, as it's only specialism that is the differentiator - this will usually be mentioned at the top of the list of requirements in each of the job adverts.

Our interview questions are generally competency based. Rather than focus only on your CV, we try to probe deeper into your wider experience. Because the interview style is usually conversational, this may have come across as being vague. However, we will take your comments on board and review whether we could do better at making the questions themselves clearer.

It's unfortunate the the feedback you received didn't explain the reasons why we didn't progress properly. We have a very thorough process, and the decision would have been based on a number of assessment points across all of the interview stages. If you wanted to get back in touch at some point we would be happy to go into more detail.

Thanks again for your feedback - we read all comments and try to learn from everyone's experience.

Field Applications Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied through website and received a response after about four weeks.
    I was invited for an initial phone screening with the recruiter. The conversation was friendly and mainly about my background and motivation to work for Synthace.
    The second interview was carried out as a video chat. It was about my technical background and skills. I also had the chance to learn more about the company/position and team that I'd be part of. Unfortunately, my skills didn't match their expectations and I was not invited for the next round.
    Overall I had a really good experience; the communication was always fast and professional. I also received valuable feedback after the interviews. From the impression that I gained during the interview process Synthace is a great company to work for!

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

22 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We're really grateful for you taking the time to provide feedback on your experience, and even more so that you enjoyed the process. We're sorry that things didn't work out on this occasion, and wish you the best of luck with the search for your next career step.

Commercial Support Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England (UK)) in July 2019.

Interview

Really enjoyed the flexibility of application at Synthace! I learned about Synthace through glassdoor and friends, which I was particularly attracted to the company culture and the technology. When I applied, I wasn't sure which role suits me the best so we explored and discussed a few ones during the interview process and got offered a role that fits my background and experience.

I had a 5 interviews in total:
    -Phone interview with HR
    -Phone/Video interview with the business development department
    -On-site interview with the commercial team
    -Phone/Video interview with the CCO because he couldn't make it for the on-site interview
    -Video interview with the sales/marketing team

In general, most of the interview questions were to understand my experience, motivations (for Synthace and career), personality and to set up expectation of working in commercial team in a startup -- I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations with my interviewers and they seemed nice and smart (just as other reviews mentioned) ;)

The whole process was slightly slower than usual but it is understandable as the HR is quite small (2 ppl) packed with lots of work plus one of them was on holiday, but it's quicker than some other corporates already.

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

9 Jul 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're always aiming to improve, and we'll continue to look at how we can reduce the time taken to get through the overall process.

Scientific Solution Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Synthace in July 2019.

Interview

1. Interview with member
    2. Interview with sales team manages
    3. On site interviews

Interview process was very pleasant and quick.
    Interviewee was very helpful, it informed me what it is like to work for Synthace.
    Recruiters were very engaged to make sure the interviewing process was run smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      What do you on your spare time?
      Tell me about your research?
      How familiar are you with LIMS and ELN?
      Tell me your bioinformatics knowledge? Any programming skills?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Synthace in June 2019.

Interview

The interview process was made up of 4-5 stages. I only made it through the first 2 stages i.e. the phone screen and the online coding test. The online coding test was done via Codility. There were 3 exercises to be completed within 1 hour 20 minutes. I think with such a short time frame, and the complexity of each exercise, you'd have to be very familiar with such coding exercises in order to complete them successfully in the allotted time, which wasn't the case for me.

Interview Questions

Synthace Response

30 Sep 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to let others know about your experience. We're sorry that things didn't work out on this occasion but - as mentioned to you in our response - failing our technical test wouldn't rule you out for all future openings, and you are welcome to try again in 12 months.

Consultant (Biotechnology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England (UK)) in June 2019.

Interview

I was referred after an informational interview with a current member of the team. The hiring manager arranged a pre-screen phone interview to talk about available roles. I then had a coding test and then another phone interview with a member of the science team that was more informational to find out about a role I decided not to apply for based on my relevant skills and experience. The next step was an on-site interview with members of the commercial team and the lab team. They were very nice but some of the interviews were quite unstructured and so it was hard to know what they were trying to find out.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the greatest challenges in the first three months?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the role of the consultant?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England (UK)) in May 2019.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, live coding phone screen, online timed programming test (3 questions over roughly 3 hours), afternoon on site (5 hours), including 2x programming/altos interviews, 1x system design/architecture interview, 1x interpersonal skills/engineering approach interview, and a tour of the labs.

Interview Questions

• Design a system to download all pages from a 1M+ page website, given a number of laptops.   Answer Question

Biological Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Synthace (London, England (UK)) in May 2019.

Interview

I was contacted around two weeks after applying directly on the company website. The team got in touch to arrange a 30-minute remote interview and I was then offered an interview at the company premises in White City. There were two interviews (behavioural and skills-based) followed by a presentation (15 mins delivery and 15 mins questions). The company are fantastic - very friendly and dynamic - and the offices are modern.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.