Synthace Reviews

Updated 2 Jan 2020

5.0
Synthace CEO Tim Fell (no image)
Tim Fell
  1. "Energetic, growing, diverse."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Synthace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potentially very impactful laboratory software - automation of an industry. Novel software, novel problems. The depth and interest of the work really stands out from crowd of web app companies. High degree of autonomy on how problems are solved, feels like employee feedback is seriously listened to. There's scope for everyone to make an impact. Inclusive - everyone including the CEO is approachable. Many team meetings are open. Always easy to get a coffee in the kitchen and chat with whoever is there. Mix of biologists and software engineers, and they do talk to each other - a lot! Serious efforts to spread knowledge - biologists included in software design and review, engineers doing lab training. Good work/life balance. Generally an ethical company planning for long term growth rather than quick burnout. Nice office environment - plants, snacks, coffee, open areas for relaxing away from the desk. Regular social events and meals.

Cons

Still a small company, although making great strides.

Continue reading
  2. "Interesting work and lots of autonomy"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Synthace full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good engineering culture, autonomy - Good engineering team and hiring process - Interesting work, not a typical CRUD app - Half of the company are biology PhDs, lots of learning - Higher base salary than what most London startups offer

Cons

- Location: White City is outside central London

"Great culture, Great team, Exciting work!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Principal Scientist and Bioinformatics Engineer in Reading, England

I have been working at Synthace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An excellent culture to work within with a rapidly growing team of excellent people at the top of their game, technically and personally. A very inclusive attitude towards all aspects of the company so you don't feel in the dark about what is going on at a technical and business stand point. A very family oriented understanding with incredible support given to those with little ones when needed. Everyone really gives the job their all to contribute to a game changing software in the biological space. The passion from everyone is infectious! A lot of freedom in your role to come up with solutions to problems but with help never far if needed from leadership or peers, everyone always willing to help others out.

Cons

There have been some teething pains as the company is maturing out of start up mentality and getting structured process and direction into place has been slow at times. But certainly on the up and heading in the right direction. Im a very happy employee that loves their job and company, i really don't have any major negatives!

Continue reading

"Relaxed yet challenging environment"

Current Freelancer - QA Tester in London, England

I have been working at Synthace for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic team, with huge knowledge on their subject. - Everyone in the company is incredibly kind and always willing to help if needed - A lot of social events! Easter Egg Hunts, Company Breakfasts & Lunches, weekly Lunch & Learn Quizzes, Games Nights and other fun activities - Truly groundbreaking technology being developed - Flexibility and opportunities to grow

Cons

- The workload would be less if more people joined

5. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Synthace

Pros

Synthace is definitely going to be huge

Cons

I have no cons with synthace

"I love this place. If you love putting your all in, and want to be respected for it, you will too."

Current Contractor - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Synthace for more than a year

Pros

- Best culture in any company I've worked at; team members are trusted to make decisions and "get s**t done". Leadership are there for you when you need them, but there's no micromanagement. Socially, team members are diverse (could do better but we're only small and there is an active, specific effort from our recruitment team to source diverse team members, not just a superficial nod to "diversity training"). I'm LGBTQIA+ and do not feel that impacts my career prospects in any way here. - We're contributing to changing the bloody world. If you don't come from a biology background, Synthace offers a pretty unique opportunity to work with and learn from scientists who are literally doing all the stuff that people might compromise in other areas (salary, location, working flexibility etc.) to be able to contribute towards; I tell my family I'm curing cancer, I'm solving world hunger... It's a pretty awesome feeling. - The product is strong, and our market want it. Although we are still a start-up, I feel more secure than at other start-ups I've worked at before; it really feels like we are at the edge of something incredible, and can be a genuine leader. Backing this up we have some fantastic investors who've just funded our B-Round at the end of 2018.

Cons

- Whatever function you're in, what we're doing is *hard*, - we're creating and testing groundbreaking software, doing things that we don't have a template to follow. We're running biological experiments at breakneck speed, we're communicating to the world about something that sounds like science fiction. If you're not comfortable with failing fast and getting on to the next thing, you won't be comfortable here. - The usual challenges with being a start-up - we're forming process, we are building structure into teams, our benefits etc. are still being fully defined. Nothing unusual here, but something to be aware of if you're used to a more structured environment. - Whilst the office is stunning, and (we've only been in there two months at time of writing) only getting more impressive, the actual location is a bit eh. Is Shepherd's Bush even London amirite? (I kid White City, I love you). BUT it's the right place to be for what we do, and the development itself is pretty awesome - lots of varied places to go for lunch and after work drinks, Westfield is close enough to visit comfortably on your lunchbreak. (team dependant) there's also a lot of options for flexible working hours, working from home etc. when needed so don't let it be too big a turn off, give it a go :)

Continue reading

"A company growing up fast, and with a bright future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Synthace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A unique and strong vision for how digital technology is going to transform biology. - A very strong market pull for the Synthace platform from some of the most innovative parts of the biotechnology industry; the software solves real-world issues (some of which are really pressing things in society like, ‘can our software make this curative cancer therapy affordable so more patients can afford to be treated’). Synthace isn’t just a solution looking for a problem, but really is a great example of a technology push coming up to meet a market pull. - A friendly, inclusive, transparent and welcoming culture. - Strong scientific expertise and a software engineering team that is now growing rapidly and attracting a stellar quality of engineer (like seriously top). - Lots of autonomy. - A fantastic new office in White City (quickly becoming ‘the’ London Biotech Hub) with snacks and drinks etc. - Quality investors who have just funded the B-round, the company has a great trajectory and is very stable vs a lot of other ‘tech’ companies. - Over the last few months, the company has done a lot of growing up with some fantastic senior/executive hires really helping to support the next stage of the company’s growth.

Cons

- There is a lot of complex technical problems to be solved, the software/product team needed some love and attention (which they are now getting). - Can sometimes be slow and inefficient compared to larger high-performance companies– again we are a start-up going into scale-up, so this is improving as we begin to put more process in place. - Lack of industry recognised L&D opportunities. As the company now enters a scale-up stage of growth, it’s important to continue to upskill the wider team to meet the challenges of the next stages of expansion.

Continue reading
  8. "Collaborative, friendly, brilliant people driven by a unifying mission to change the world for the better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Synthace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Take an idea to revolutionise biology by applying computerised automation and data processing techniques. Build a team of brilliant scientists and ex-Tech Giant L5/L6/L7 engineers to solve the complex and exciting challenges that come with creating this technology from the ground up. Continue to encourage and nurture a culture of openness, ownership, experimentation and personal development, while attracting interest and investment from some of the who's who of Silicon Valley. Add the latest Series B funding round from Horizons Ventures (check out their previous investments - they know when they're onto something), and you know that Synthace has a great future ahead! It is genuinely inspiring to work with brilliant people who are so down to earth, driven by a central mission, and willing to share their knowledge and time with everyone. I haven't been here as long as others, and I understand that the company has been through a couple of periods of learning around what it takes to enable each other to do what we do best. There have been bumps along the road, and some people may have been here for the wrong reasons. It's clear that we have now come out the other side and have a genuinely exciting vision and a fun journey ahead of us. We all realise how important this technology could be in revolutionising biological science - offering exponential improvements in the time needed to research new cures for Cancer and other diseases. There is a personal responsibility and accountability - as well as a genuine excitement - that everyone here feels. Having our developers working in close proximity to our lab teams means that we can all see how our work directly impacts each other. All of this makes it a very special place to work, and I hope we will make every effort to maintain this culture as we go forward from here.

Cons

If you crave rigorous structure this may not be the place for you. There are high levels of ambiguity at times as we build something that has not been done before. An appetite for complex technical challenges is required!

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews