U.S. PIRG Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

U.S. PIRG Interview Questions

Interviews at U.S. PIRG

2.7

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

The process began with a series of essays. The first interview, over the phone, was lovely. The interviewer asked me about my background and my stance on some policy issues. The second interview, in person, was okay. After about 5 weeks, I was finally offered the position over the phone — at nearly half my stated minimum salary requirement. I had been told at the first interview that they might not be able to meet my salary requirement, but that it would be close. I expressed my concern with this when offered the job, and the person (who was the second, in person, interviewer) basically explained it by devaluing my background and experience (I had over ten years work experience and nearly my PhD). I knew I wouldn’t accept the offer at that salary, so I was trying to find a way to make the offer acceptable. I asked if people tend to move from USPIRG to other sectors, and that I eventually wanted to be in government. He said yes, and explained that USPIRG employees do create connections with regulatory agencies. I asked if I could have a couple of days to consider the offer, and he said yes. I knew I still wouldn’t accept, but wanted to take a moment to discuss with my husband.

After the phone call, I went to a yoga class and after I returned home, he called again. He asked if I got his message and seemed angry. I said, “No, I’m sorry. My phone shows that I don’t have any messages.” He said, “Ok, I guess that happens.” He then proceeded to tell me they were rescinding their offer. I said, “Ok, may I ask why?” Apparently, they want a 5-6 year commitment (?!), even though the job announcement states a 2-year desired commitment, and that they felt I would not stay 5-6 years. He still seemed angry, as if me wanting to eventually advance in my career was some terrible thing to do. Just awful. Offering half the minimum salary requirement, demeaning me, and then angrily rescinding the horrid offer. Very unprofessional. I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the biggest policy challenge facing the US   Answer Question

Campus Organizer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

I applied for a different position, then was redirected to Campus Organizer after my first interview. The process was very disorganized and took several months. They got back to me a week later than they had promised, just days before the start date. When the rejection email asked me to interview for a different position I finally realized they were just shuffling me around to different departments and I ended the process. Overall I just had a very negative impression of the organization.

Creative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

A few online application items and two phone interviews. Nothing too difficult but still bulky in quantity. Very turned off by the low salary and (what seemed like) little salary mobility within the group.

Fellow Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

The interview process went as smoothly as I could have hoped for. I submitted my cover letter, resume, and questionnaire online, and after about two weeks, was asked to schedule a phone interview. After another week, I was contacted to sign up for a day-long, group interview, and was offered a position a week after the group interview. Everyone was super friendly and organized, which made the whole process much easier!

Interview Questions

• What is one public issue that you care about? How would you begin to solve it?   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

I was interviewed by two people from U.S. PIRG. The first interview was really relaxed. It was a phone interview where they told me about the organization and the position. However, it was made clear at the interview that I would not be offered my desired compensation level. This was a bit disappointing to me. The second interview was a Skype interview. It was a little hostile. The interviewer asked me the same question multiple times. They kept asking why I wanted to work their and did not like my answer to the question. At one point, the interviewer rolled their eyes at me. Overall, I felt the experience was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? (repeated multiple times)   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG.

Interview

They just wanted to make sure I was interested in nonpartisan issues. They were enthusiastic about past recruitment experience. Location of fellows seems to weigh on interest in a campaign and the interviewer recommended that I focus on one campaign in particular.

Full-Time Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Washington, DC (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process itself was good. I believe my interviewer asked appropriate, targeted questions that helped her to see if I was the appropriate fit for their organization. Their follow-up, however, after indicating an interest to bring me back for a second round of interviews, was horrendous and disjointed. I strongly believe in grassroots work, but there has to be some sort of central leadership at organizations like this to ensure that strong candidates are not lost as a result of sloppy organization.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself fitting into this organization?   1 Answer

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (Chicago, IL (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial interview was a phone interview, standard questions about experience and goals. Second interview felt more like the interviewer was grilling me on my personal beliefs, including expressing clear skepticism at my stated reason for wanting to move from where I was currently living, which isn't even a question related to the position, rather than trying to figure out if my experience and knowledge could be used by the organization.

Interview Questions

• Is it more important to take immediate action to curb climate change or to make sure that any action taken is fair to everyone?   1 Answer

Transportation Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG in October 2016.

Interview

I was first contact by PIRG via email. The email asked me to answer several questions and submit them. After submitting the questions I received a second email for a phone interview. After the phone interview was over, I was offered a third skype interview on the spot. The third interview was scheduled with a second person. The day of the second interview, the interviewer called me an hour after our scheduled skype interview. We rescheduled. After the rescheduled second interview, I was offered a third interview. But the second interviewer never contacted me regarding the interview even when I emailed him several times. Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• (first interview) Describe your leadership experience.
      (first interview) Describe how you work in groups.
      (second interview) How would you reach out to Trump supporters?
      (second interview) Even if a campaign/policy you worked on for many years fails, would you still want to work in this field?   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. PIRG (New York, NY (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

Web application. 30min phone conversation with 3rd party recruiter, where I was asked questions about my resume. Hour long Skype conversation with hiring manager, where I was asked a lot of hypotheticals, some generic interview questions, and then was asked how I would handle the position, which is low-paid, long hours, and very demanding. By the end of the interview I didn't even want the job.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.