William Blair Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.in

2.8

Sort:

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

- Phone Interview (1 month after applying) - great discussion, nothing out of the ordinary.
    - In-person interview (2 months after applying) - HR communication was flawless before interview, travel logistics and lodging were impeccable.

Everything went well until I showed up for the interview. With my background, I figured I would be a great fit for the role. Unfortunately, it wasn't until the hiring manager saw me in person that questions about whether I really wanted the position and if it would be a good fit came up. I have a feeling that this was a case of hiring discrimination, but of course this is something that can hardly ever be proven (and companies know this). I should note that everyone was kind; whether feigned or genuine, I'll never know.

With that said, I didn't interview with or notice any black employees in the office; however, was informed (without asking) that there was one analyst. While it is common, in my field, to rarely see others who look like me, I generally accept that there is fierce competition. However, I discovered that the person who was hired had fewer years of education and post-graduate work experience, but was white.

Interview Questions

William Blair Response

26 Oct 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to share your interview experience. At William Blair, we strive for a consistently positive interview experience for all candidates. It is unfortunate to hear your... More

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at William Blair.

Interview

The company is definitely below average as suggested by its interview process. It’s a complete waste of time and they are so cheap that they won’t even reimburse your travel expenses. They don’t respect your time.

Interview Questions

William Blair Response

5 Oct 2018 – Culture & Talent

Thank you for your feedback on your interview experience with William Blair. We are sorry if it wasn’t clear, however we do reimburse candidates for their travel expenses. Please reach out to... More

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Sent an application in off cycle. I was contacted by a recruiter who ran a first round phone screen, asking about my background, experiences etc. The next round was over the phone with the head trader of the desk. He was polite and friendly. He asked some basic technical questions to test your fluency in the markets. Beyond that it was mostly conversational, really scoping out how well you can get along.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)) in June 2011.

Interview

Typical IB interview except easier. Simple technical questions (DCF, valuation analysis, etc). Nearly all fit. Why William Blair? Why Chicago? Some accounting questions. All easy. If the guys there like you as a person, you'll be hired.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

easy and straight forward, no trick questions and with good follow up by Blair. Talked with about 7 people, all very nice and seemed happy to be working at the firm. Seemed like a very educated crowd. Midwest nice but smart and well informed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

On campus recruiting with 2 of the analysts. Got invited to a super day 3 days later, which consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews with mostly MDs. People were really friendly and easy to talk to, they really emphasize on the culture.

Interview Questions

• Very fit-based questions. Why banking? Why Blair? Why Chicago?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I was asked to participate in a phone interview. Next, they had me come into the office for an interview with different managers within the department. I met with three people that day, each individually. I understand that larger companies have the leverage to be more cutthroat in their hiring process, but I honestly found the interviews cold and intimidating. No matter the size or success of the company, hiring is a mutual decision, even for an internship position, and the joys of working at William Blair were never expressed to me. I was told about the business but nothing about the corporate culture or anything enticing about working there. After the first interview, there was a month long lag before my second interview where I waited for my interview to start 20 minutes late and then only last 10 minutes. I was not given the job and can admit that I was under qualified but now, after working in HR and conducting interviews myself, I have realized how inhospitable the people at William Blair were throughout the entire interview process.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Easy, no organized structure Met with HR, and a couple of IT managers. Discussed enviroment and future needs. Was offered a position the next morning. I negotiated more vacation time successfully.

Negotiation

Intern Interview

Interview

Submitted my resume via email. Received an invitation for a phone interview but had to sign up for one that was just days after. They said they would get back to me within the next week or so, then got email saying I was denied.

Interview Questions

William Blair Response

12 Nov 2018 – Culture & Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at William Blair (Chicago, IL (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

Standard phone screen with HR, then an in person interview with the head of the department and then their most tenured person at the desk, who also acts as the sales manager. Questions were not extremely in depth or testing of skills. Really more learning about me as person and how I conducted my day to day in the same role (lateral movement on my part).

Interview Questions

William Blair Response

14 Sep 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your interview experience. We appreciate your interest our firm and hope you were able to take away something beneficial.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.