Chevron Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Chevron Chairman and CEO Mike Wirth
Mike Wirth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work-Life Balance was not so easy" (in 52 reviews)

• "Oil and gas industry goes through ups and downs" (in 35 reviews)

1. "Employed"

Current Employee - Marine Engineer in New Delhi
    Current Employee - Marine Engineer in New Delhi

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best companies in this field in the whole world.

Cons

After working here you wont feel like working anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep up your good work towards ensuring a safe working culture on onboard vessels and taking care of employees.

2. "I'm a Contractor - Pathetic from IT perspective"

Current Employee - End User Analyst in Noida
    Current Employee - End User Analyst in Noida

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a contractor I got the opportunity to speak to some of the brightest minds (geophysists, engineers, financial analysts)

Cons

Extreme bifurcation of duties - almost comparable to red tapism in socialist governments

Advice to Management

Minimize bifurcation

3. "Good Company"

I worked at Chevron full-time

Pros

Relaxed and amiable work environment

Cons

None that I can think of

"Company"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good to work, Nice Culture

Cons

More Politics, Sr. management Pathetic

"GOOD ENVIRONMENT FOR FRESHERS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chennai

I worked at Chevron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good work environment.
    Lot of facilities including food and transport.
    Less work load compared to any competitor
    Overall a very good organisation structure

Cons

Politics is more prominent and promotions and increments are based on politics but performances in maximum cases. Its a tough task to attain a new role one level ahead here in RBS.

6. "Great Place to work"

Pros

Good culture and environment,
    Very talented Manager.
    Insight over future plans

Cons

Nothing to be said.
    Everything is good

"fgf"

Pros

good to work but tough time to handle

Cons

not ok HR dept. What they are doing

8. "It's a nice environment n working place."

Pros

High spirit between employees and trainees.

Cons

Work Load is terrific sometimes.

Advice to Management

Motivating the freshers

"Awesome company to enjoy.. No need to come to office atlease once in a year"

Former Employee - Facilities Engineer in Hyderabad
    Former Employee - Facilities Engineer in Hyderabad

Pros

Super to work in anyone career...dont miss it

Cons

Worst company to work with..please dont join

Advice to Management

Need Improve a lot on all the

"After decades of awesome, now it is an OK place to work but not the phenomenal company it used to be."

Current Employee - Various Tech and Tech Management in Global Village Park
    Current Employee - Various Tech and Tech Management in Global Village Park

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Profound concern for the individual: decent salaries, pension, retiree health, stock sharing plan, health benefits, educational funding, vacation seniority and work/life balance enabling alternate work schedules (allowing 3 day weekends). Great people with some phenomenal opportunities despite the often suffocating and burdensome processes we have to operate with. Otherwise a varied and stimulating workplace, I sincerely hope it can regain a most liked status.

If you enjoy Houston, Texas, this is the company to work for.

Cons

We are an Energy Company, so working here will earn you an "I work for BIG OIL" demonic moniker with your outside friends! Overly burdensome business processes, sometimes excessive safety culture and extremist OE zealotry permeates to the furthest corners of the corporation (watch out for that paper cut). No question that we certainly should extol the virtue of human safety (clearly Chevron is the gold-standard here) but seriously how many times has the stop-work-authority been called OUTSIDE of a traditional hazardous working environment : refinery, rig or pipeline? That may be a pro or a con but either way it does add up the cost!

We are BORG (pardon the Star Trek analogy) - numerous project decisions are sloowly made by a committee of peers resulting in a steep trending towards reduced features and mediocrity. Other are driven by a decision executive forcing solutions despite objections from the subject matter experts (in another Star Trek style : "the will of Landru").

Severely retarded and even dysfunctional efficiency-at-all-costs executive directives. Mind-numbingly risk-averse/management-by-dashboard/tool/committee where all the lights are invariably green (despite the suspected turmoil underneath). It is all about delivering a measurable/sustainable process(rather than accepting a fast-fail), less about figuring out who is going to be engaged long-term to sustain it for you (no headcount, efficiency or budget line item for that). No recognition after-the-fact supporting exceptional personnel development or look-backs to the now senior managers who (while oblivious to reality in the pursuit of short-term efficiency) permeated a long-since-forgotten path of destruction and were promoted accordingly well beyond their worth or capability. This has a knock-on effect of demoralizing more insightful members of the workforce unwilling to foment a similar dis-functional type of behavior to elevate their own status!

Finally, if you dislike living in Texas this is not going to be the company for you!

Advice to Management

This is still an OK place to work, with some slight tweaks it could be so very much more and return to the halcyon days of 5 star employee ratings. Encourage the more risk-averse to take more (non-hazardous area) chances, learn how to rapidly enable, prototype and educate via fast-fail and figure out how to share/socialize the results. Improve investment in technology futures. Quit with multitude of opco P&L reconciliation, the federated multi-operating/service company approach and get back to the a one-family company mantra! Clean house of the endless process measurement experts who are un-trainable in anything else. I firmly believe we have an exceptional president, his message and directives are clear and insightful but once we drop down a rung or two in the management structure the risk-averse deviation and misinterpretation for some operating companies begin to lose cohesion and sustainability.

In other words, for the executive layers I strongly suggest that you : GROW A PAIR!