Constant Contact Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 29 Mar 2020

3.7
Constant Contact Chief Operating Officer Kim Simone
Kim Simone
Pros
  • "They even have a beer cart on friday and offer amazing benefits(in 45 reviews)

• "There are great people who work there(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Personality changed when bought out by Endurance(in 24 reviews)

• "You can tell upper management does not think about you at all(in 14 reviews)

1. "Good starting job"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and culture that drives hard work ethic. There’s also beer cart on Friday’s and breakfast on Monday’s.

Cons

A lot of rapid changes in management/company structure. Must be willing to adapt.

Constant Contact2020-03-29
  2. "Great"

Former Employee - Account Review Specialist

I worked at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Nothing great place to work

Constant Contact2020-03-13

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Constant Contact full-time

Pros

Awesome people, great product, drive to overachieve

Cons

Lots of change on a moments notice

Constant Contact2020-03-03

"Great place if you match the energy!"

Former Employee - Sale Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for more than a year

Pros

People want to see you succeed. Sales targets are reachable. The support of managers and tech are great. Ping pong tables, free soda, happy hour Friday. Good Culture.

Cons

Email marketing is a big of a crowded industry and Constant Contact being one of the larger companies can't pivot as fast therefore the product can be a bit behind.

Constant Contact2020-02-24

"Frat house meets puppy mill meets red bull"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Waltham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Except where expressly stated, this review is mainly for the Waltham Inside Sales dept. For a sales org, the vacation policy is pretty nice. 4 weeks off total you can take, but what's really cool is that you get an adjustment on your goal for the month that you took vacation along with a much much smaller adjustment for the following month (to compensate for the leads you didn't get during your vaca that you obviously won't be able to close the following month). Coming from the car industry, where you get about 4 hours off per year total, the vacation policy here I found very refreshing. This one isn't so much about the company per se, but rather the people I've worked with tend to be good. Some are shady, sure, but most are generally good. There's a lot of opportunity to build a network that you can use later on. The company may look at employees as numbers before names, but the individuals you work with very well may care, and may help. When top dogs leave the organization, make sure you stay in touch. If you're new to sales or just a little xp, this role will develop you. Only as individual contributor, not a leader, manager, mentor, or anything else. But if your only goal is to get better as a sales rep, this job will certainly help. At least for the first 6-9 months.

Cons

Super opaque communications around employee development. If you work here, please ask about the "nine box" - the "secret managerial grading rubric that higher-ups use to determine how, or even if, you ever advance. After grinding for a year I applied, and was rejected, for an internal opportunity but encouraged to reapply when another position opened up. 6 months later it did, I reapplied, and the hiring process got strung out for another 4 months. HR offered vague deflections and no explanations. Sure, it would've been nice to be able to achieve my goals there, but my biggest hang up is that I might have been able to if management didn't try hide their evaluation of my skill set or performance. It's like driving with your eyes closed, some people do make it to their destination but most crash. Going back to the whole grind thing, it really really is. When I was there part of a rep's daily requirement aside from generating actual sales, were logging activities. 240 minutes (or 4 hours) out an 8 hour work day needs to be on the phone with a customer (not even dialing but actually on the phone). If you make fewer than 60 calls in a day you better have stellar sales to show for it, otherwise the issue is clearly your effort and they flick you on the nose (metaphorically). This one could be a pro for some, loud music. Super loud, all the time. If there were a 1:1 relationship between decibels and goal attainment, or between acoustic energy and emotional energy, they'd be at 200% of goal every month. I can't tell you how many deals I've lost, customers who've hung up on me citing the background noise as the reason. There's a huge "rah rah" atmosphere. You'll get about 10, caps lock on, "let's go!" emails per day. There have also been more than a handful of ethical conflicts of interest too. Like reps, managers get paid off the % attainment to monthly goal, and are very financially motivated to see high numbers from the individuals who compose their team. When these individuals step outside the ethical lines to artificially inflate their numbers (for instance selling a customer on a month to month subscription in month 1, getting a sale for that month, and then reselling that same customer an annual subscription on month 2 or 3, which generates 2 sales for 1 customer, etc.). Now why does it matter to you if Joey over there is making twice as much as you? It doesn't, except that performance is scaled to the whole department, things like only the top x% of reps get a promotion mean that cheaters just make more work for everyone else. A lot of times in sales you have to find that ethical line and not cross it. You're close to hitting goal, and you're talking with a prospect who maybe isn't a good fit but you need their money, and they trust you enough to take the step if you advise them to. It's all about the adds, getting sales, not really about getting customers. This one isn't necessarily a con. The job has an expiration date. It's the exact same thing, every day, every day, every day. After 6 months or so, if you trust your manager, start talking with him or her about what good next steps might be for you. Get in front of the burnout and ennui, before it starts to affect your performance. The messaging from management is sometimes contradictory too. Like with weather emergencies you'll be officially told that safety is their top concern, and in the same breath they'll say that "you don't have to, but I'm coming in. I know a bunch of other people are coming in too. Don't feel like you have to, but literally everybody is working in the office today." Yes this is an exaggeration, but not by much and the mixed messaging is 100% true. Going back to sales being in a silo, the sales team is very discouraged from any company events or activities that take time off the phones. Halloween party where everyone's invited? Nope! Get back on the phones. Hey we got a monthly masseuse coming in as a benefit for our employees, let's tell the whole company about it. Psyche! Back on the phones. Had a tough day and taking a 40 minute lunch? Are you out of your mind! Do you want the company to go under?! If you're there, and you want to succeed, just drink the rah rah koolaid. Send out the caps lock emails. Maybe a Michael Jordan quote or something. Internalize the culture and regurgitate it everywhere. Be seen talking about the virtues of the elements of the sales success map.

Constant Contact2020-03-09

"No empathy for personal tragedy"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot that I did not know before.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary. Only one thing that blew if for me. My father became so ill I was called home. I did not leave his side as I was not sure when he was going to go. I advised my supervisor that I did not know when I would be back and that I should be taken off the schedule. So, she proceeds to hound me with texts anyhow about when I would be returning to work, when I don't respond, she then tells HR I am abandoning my job.

Constant Contact2020-03-09
  7. "Sorry, I wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for more than a year

Pros

beer cart, occasional food, new friends

Cons

They don't treat you like a person. Very limited opportunity, they record your computer screen and personal conversations.

Constant Contact2020-03-18
  8. "No Growth"

Former Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people, beer cart Fridays. Customers are mostly nice.

Cons

Mostly toxic environment. Career growth is based not on merit or skill, but on connections and networking.

Constant Contact2020-03-11

"Wouldnt recommend to a friend"

Former Employee - Tier I Support in Waltham, MA

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people you will work with are kind

Cons

The pay is awful Morale is never put into consideration Took away holidays mid through the year Teased with unpaid internships for other departments just so they can use you for . few months. Health care is the worst You can tell upper management does not think about you at all

Constant Contact2020-01-17

"Please read before deciding to work here."

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Loveland, CO

I worked at Constant Contact full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free drinks and people. My management team was amazing, understanding, and tried to help us the best they could. Corporate has destroyed this company.

Cons

There is no work/life balance here. If you're new PLEASE READ as recruiters will tell you otherwise. PTO is on a seniority basis. They do "bidding" and by the time you go into the system to check what time you can take off, well, to be honest, there is none and guess what? They don't care. You don't get all holidays off, if they need coverage for those days you will be the first to work them (they always need coverage as turnover rate is exponentially high here). Also, be aware you're required not to miss work under any circumstances ( This means kids sick, car accident, or anything else) within the first 90 days. They require you to pitch sales to the customers on every phone call. You have to meet a certain amount of recommendations and offer rates so you're not fired. After your ramp-up (90 days) they will first give you a verbal warning, next a written warning, and by the third month if you're not meeting these expectations you will be walked off the floor ( watched them do this many times with excellent employees ) some of our best employees were walked off not because of the customer support but because they couldn't meet metrics that sometimes are unattainable. This place is all about making money and that's it. If you don't make them money, you're trash to them. They hire people who haven't had the best experience in other companies and that don't know what it's like to be treated as a human being. If you try to move up or to another department they most likely won't offer a pay raise and you won't be allowed to move departments because the company can't keep the ones there for more than 6 months. There is no room to grow because the people that started as Constant Contact employees and not Endurance are the ones in manager/team lead roles. This reminds me WFM (workforce management) is TERRIBLE. When I first started I came in 10 minutes early and began preparing myself for the day and naturally logged into the phones, well, WFM reached out to me and advised me that I was not allowed to log in early because they wouldn't be paying for me being there early..... (how terrible is that). Your employees can't be 5 minutes late or they're written up but don't show up 5 minutes early either because we're not paying you for it. If you like barely leaving your desk and connected to phones all day with timed lunches and breaks, well, good luck!

Constant Contact2020-02-06