Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not enough vegan snacks in the kitchen, work/life balance can take a hit at times since we are always pioneering and shifting resources quickly (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management is clueless what happens within teams and to save face fire or lay off some of their best staff (in 10 reviews)

"Zero work life balance"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll make really good friends.

Cons

There's no separation between work and life. You're always connected and the leadership team (exec) has no idea what they're doing. They've done a good job getting the company to where it was by end of 2016 but everything beyond that has been smoke and mirrors, missed revenue targets, failed product launches and partnerships. The app is so complicated and not user-friendly that I don't even know how to work it.

Advice to Management

Leverage external resources and understand that employees have the right to habe a life beyond flipp. It's not always #flipp4lyfe

"Unfortunately they are not true to their Culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Compensation, fast paced environment, a lot of perks and benefits like catered lunches, snacks, gym membership etc, talented and friendly co-workers

Cons

As the company is growing fast a lot of the middle management is inexperienced. You cannot question the strategy or vision, it's not encouraged. You are expected to just follow what you are told. Mid management doesn't know how to work with senior professionals.

Advice to Management

Have a clear vision and get the whole team motivated and focused on executing that vision. Don't constantly get distracted and switch priorities and focus. Don't forget why you started this venture, stay true your roots and your vision.

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Partner Account Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Partner Account Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Unbelievable culture
    - Over communication by Executive team to ensure everyone in the company is on the same page
    - Free healthy snacks and Friday lunches!
    - Unlimited vacation
    - Management really invested in long term career development
    - Excellent work/life balance opportunities

Cons

Cant really think of any legitimate cons to working for Flipp. Any company will have unique challenges which will require adjustment on the part of staff, and Flipp is no different. That isn't a con, but merely reality.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're, its working! The hype around Flipp is only going to grow and its extremely exciting to be apart of.

"A lot of talk from management, that’s about it."

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

All the typical start up perks - ping pong tables, benefits, snacks and catered lunches. Friendly co-workers. Regular feedback. Good compensation. They definitely wow you with all these things at first. The honeymoon period at Flipp is great. But, once reality sets in it’s a different story. For more on that, check the cons out.

Cons

Flipp talks a big talk when comes to culture. But. Unfortunately it’s a lot of talk. For example, you are told that honesty is important, yet the reason certain things happen (recent layoffs for instant) is not clear and the messaging for it changes constantly. Ultimately the culture, on paper looks good, but whether it actually exists is unclear to me and many others on my team.

The goals of the company are constantly changing with the wind. It makes it difficult to do anything well or follow through properly on anything. The product management team is inexperienced and more in the habit of just following the prescriptive plans of the execs rather than validating and researching the market before acting - this creates a lot of waste, confusion and improvements that don’t create the impact that was hoped for (hence layoffs that was previously mentioned)

Senior leadership have a bad habit of providing a prescriptive vision, rather than providing the engineering team with problems to solve. This has resulted in apathy on many teams (which makes sense when you micromanage and treat engineers like code monkeys).

Advice to Management

Advice to senior management: the skills required to create a product are not the same skills required to successfully run a 400 plus company. You’ve done a good job getting the company this far. But at this point if your behaviour doesn’t change the company will not succeed. Either change your behaviour or step aside.

Advice to middle management: before making reorganizations talk to your teams. Understand the problems, rather than just making changes. How are you going to know if changes actually improved anything?

Look into what a cross functional team means - rather than organizing teams by technology layer - it’s extrexely difficult to get anything done when every team relies on another to review their PRs. Also, it’s not great for morale when it’s difficult to ship anything.

"Amazing culture and place to grow"

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Awesome benefits (health, dental, TTC pass, Goodlife Membership etc.)
    -Working with smart, driven and fun people
    -Amazing Culture (lots of company events and everyone wants to be team first)
    -Lots of growth opportunities (not just within your department)

Cons

-It's far from downtown Toronto

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and make sure culture isn't lost when as we continue to scale.

"Great place to start your career, otherwise be careful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of friendly colleagues, who all care for you in and outside of the office. Everyone within the office is a match, which makes for great friendly conversations. There is a huge focus on team and company health, which is great. In many ways, Flipp is like a big family!

As someone working earlier in their career, whether a coop, junior or even intermediate, Flipp is a great place to be and to learn!

Love communications at the company level . The company as a whole does a great job communicating issues and solution.

The perks are something that many people love. Whether it be snacks, Friday lunches, or events.

Cons

Although the culture looks fantastic on paper, in many cases it has been a hindrance to achieving results. It's very unfortunate because with some tweaks it can be turned into a positive. Allow more senior staff to have more impact rather than getting over powered by the more junior ones.

Over time you start to see how the politics around the office play out. Although the culture states that feedback should be provided to the person directly, you quickly notice that it is not the case. By the time the feedback makes its way back to you, it has either been weeks or the feedback is blown out of proportion because it has been told through multiple people. The concept of direct feedback is great, but something that is not practiced enough.

There is a lack of clarity from the business. Priority changes are normal and healthy, but it wasn't in this case. Most of what was planned was not planned well enough which lead to multiple delays. Many of the timelines are far too aggressive and account for 100% commitment. When I raised that concerned I was told "no one ever gets fired at Flipp for missing deadlines".

There are a lot of instances where I felt that I didn't have the right tools to succeed. This can be either a lack of direction or lack of training to help me achieve success. Goals and expectations is something that is touted within Flipp, but the reality is that the goals themselves are either non-existent or they no longer apply because of business priority changes. It is always great to know whether or not you are on track, rather than get surprises.

There has been a lot of turnover at the senior level. Many of whom feel that that it is difficult to innovate and that approaches or technologies aren't properly vetted out before they get rolled out. As such, it has lead to shifts in direction which caused friction. Working with the latest tools, technologies, and processes would allow Flipp to push into the future and attract more senior talent. Be open to working on open source tech and contributing back to the tech industry.

Lastly, work-life balance has been an issue. Although it has been said that Flipp focuses on work-life balance with work-from-home abilities. The reality is that it just isn't practiced as there is the unwritten expectation that you are in the office. On the days you are not, you miss updates, decisions are made without you, and you have to spend the next day catching up. Because the teams are under resourced, it means that you need to spend more time working. You end up feeling stressed and judged most of the time. It is not a healthy feeling. Flipp needs to invest into the tools to allow people to work from home, work on better resource planning, focusing on training that allows people to be flexible.

Advice to Management

Understandably, as the company grows, culture, technology, processes that was there originally don't quite work the same way anymore. Take the time to vet out new approaches rather than jumping into them and then trying again a few months later.

Go from the top down and evaluate how the business is actually running. There appears to be a huge disconnect between what is perceived as true and what is actually true, whether with a person or within teams. I've seen a lot of assumptions being made that should have been vetted first. Be less reactive and more proactive in ensuring results.

Take care of your senior staff. The culture is very focused on more junior staff. Without some drastic changes, it will be difficult to retain senior staff. You aren't providing enough opportunities for them to contribute or to try new things. Policies must change to allow autonomy across the board. There is no one size fits all solution as is currently promoted.

Lastly, there are people within Flipp that do want to help and bring the right changes to the company. Unfortunately, all my suggestions were either dismissed or was asked to revisit another time. Learn from this, listen to those who want to contribute towards Flipp's success.

"Don't bother"

I worked at Flipp full-time

Pros

Decent work location - easily accessible.

Good benefits, perks etc.

Great office - probably amongst the better ones in Toronto

Love the attitude towards communication

Some genuinely friendly and smart people

Cons

My stint at Flipp was absolutely torrid.

I think it was Joseph Goebbels who once said ‘If you repeat a lie enough, people will believe it and even you’ll come to believe it yourself’.

This maxim could be one possible explanation why cultural tenets are regurgitated time and again at Flipp - right from the on-boarding journey to the weekly big scrums. Employees are constantly reminded of how special and unique the Flip culture is - 3 Hs (Humility, High Intelligence & Hunger) etc. amongst other things - in order to haze the day and night difference between what is practiced and preached.

You hear the founder constantly harping on the importance of being humble or a great servant leader. But its management through fear mongering and intimidation that is practiced instead. Much of what is said about the founder’s behaviour is true. I recall meetings where he bragged about the number of f bombs dropped to get folks in line. He lives up to his reputation for flying off the handle, blasting employees in public with complete disregard to how this affects overall morale/sentiment. Sadly others in the Lighthouse seem either oblivious to this, or worse fearful to confront him over this.

You’ll hear a good deal of talk on the amazing Flipp family. However unlike typical families, Flipp does not hesitate to cut the cord at any moment. You’ll know when team members suddenly don’t show up for work and vanish from Slack & the company phone directory. Make mistakes uploading a flyer - Boom, Don’t get along with or disagree with your coach - Goodbye, Don’t answer your company provided phone when needed - so long, poorly managed project - fired. There is no regard for the careers and lives of people being let go. The only ones with their pensions secure at Flipp belong to the clique that I call the Inner Circle (many from the Class of ’03). They have no qualms in letting people go when things go wrong under their watch, yet somehow they seem infallible.

Nothing sums up my experience more aptly than a ‘critical’ feedback that I received during my review. I was told that my ‘non native communication skills’ were an issue. I can’t think of a single instance in my working profession where I have been at the receiving end of such an outrageous remark. Weak communication skills? Sure, perhaps! But what do I do about being a non native? The strangest part of the story - The 'coach' with this feedback could be easily considered a non native himself.

I am guessing there is a small possibility that AY may respond with his boilerplate response of how he welcomes feedback and would be open for a chat. The negative reviews (from 2015!!) all seem to have recurring themes and if there was any meaningful initiative to address these issues, a discussion should have started a while back. That hasn’t happened and I don’t believe anyone cares to.

"People Team"

Current Employee - People Team in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - People Team in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with the founders everyday, I feel challenged and have learned/grown so much here.
    The culture is really prevalent and really is a game-changer on creating a Great Place to Work! It demonstrates the company really cares about it's people.
    Great Growth opportunities. I feel rewarded for the work I do.

Cons

Speed of pace and change can be difficult at times but I like the challenge and having access to so many opportunities, early on in my career.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the growth and well-being of your people.
    Take time to preserve the culture as we grow! It's our best asset.

"Not as advertised. Senior management and culture causes too many issues"

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great, though that is mostly limited to your teammates. Benefits are decent, like most startups in the city. Free food and company events can be fun.

Cons

I cannot recommend Flipp to anyone! Working 50-60 hour weeks is considered normal. The workloads are ridiculous and unreasonable. Timelines are terrible. Senior management is clueless what happens within teams and to save face fire or lay off some of their best staff. I've seen too many excellent people go because senior management has no idea and get feedback from the wrong people. You see an unhealthy amount of micromanagement, especially from the directors. Flipp tries too hard to be different which in turn causes far too many issues. The smart people they've brought in weren't the cookie cutter type or not up to working 60 hour weeks, which left them packing. I've heard far too many times that someone isn't a culture fit. Perhaps management should look at themselves if they let go so many people for not being a culture fit. With this recent round of layoffs, the company isn't being transparent and everyone is left fearing what's next. There is a lack of experience at the senior management level and as the company has grown, it has become more evident. Lots of fumbling because of lack of experience. Leads to redoing a lot of things, major shifts, and even layoffs. The company tries so hard to meet their cultural values, falling short is leading to a bad and sometimes toxic culture with senior management pointing fingers and making you look bad.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, don't micromanage, be reasonable with timelines. Look at yourself before dismissing staff because you deem them as not being a culture fit. Bring in execs and directors with experience. When you hire people with experience, listen to them.

"Jr. HR Coordinator"

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

It has a culture you cant duplicate. The company wants team members to bring their full self to work and ensure they are fulfilled in all areas of their life. You truly contribute to the organization .

Cons

You must have an entrepreneur attitude and be able to prioritize to thrive. There can be lack of direction but always someone there to assist you in achieving goals.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Slow and steady.