Flipp Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Flipp Managing Director, Chief Executive Officer Wehuns Tan
Wehuns Tan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent (in 13 reviews)

• Each mistake or new product that didn't do as well as expected means senior management will yell at employees accusing them of under-performing (in 9 reviews)

"Still very much a startup company"

I worked at Flipp full-time

Pros

The people are amazing. The building and work area is nice. The work from home options and benefits are top notch.

Cons

Feels very much like a dictatorship. Whatever the CEO wants, will happen and we have to change everything based on his ideas that are not fully tested to be successful.

Advice to Management

Do more market research before launching a whole product to see if it is successful. This would save dev time and money.

"This place is a NIGHTMARE"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice office.
    - Some smart people.

Cons

- No job stability

- Office politics, secret meetings, people are let go without the rest of the company knowing. People talk behind your back.

- No work life balance. Expected to work weekends and nights.

- Too many meetings, many unnecessary and a waste of time.

- They tax you on the benefits. They made a mistake on the taxes and then everybody's taxes were re accessed and everyone had to pay more taxes for the past 3 year.

- They say your allowed to work from home, but then your judged if you work from home.

- If your given a promotion there is a 50% chance of being fired. Seriously, I was there for 5 years and 1 out of 2 people who were given a promotion were fired.

- Friday lunches are free but you have to wait about 45 mins in line. And they do not order enough food so they tell you to watch your portions. If your late in line there will be no meat left.

- Snacks and fridge is usually empty, they stock it up on interview days I think. Bottled water is only for candidates.

- Your given a laptop and phone, but they charge you if you go over the usage and the laptop might be an old laptop. Actually the phone will be used too.

Advice to Management

Do not shoot and move. Do not over promise to partners.
    Try to keep your employees(I don't think you can find 10 people in the company that have been there for over 2 years)

"Great Culture and Place to Own Your Business"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team members are the reason to come to work. Everyone is driven to win and supportive of one another. The business has gone through a lot of change but feels like we have the right direction and great strategic partnerships with our customers.

Good pay and benefits and the ability to manage your own work/life balance.

Finally, excited about the future and what we can do if we stay focused on what we do best and deliver the plans for the future at the right pace.

Cons

For all of those who ask for feedback but do not mean it this place is not for you. However can say in our team the feedback is generally to strengthen us all so we can be our best.

Some travel which can make for long weeks once in a while.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the strategy and do not always create a pivot when one is not needed. Continue to listen to the business owners and give us a say in the strategy so we can help grow the company.

"An insufferable place to work"

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

-competitive benefits package
    -kitchen and snacks
    -smart and hardworking people
    -cool and interesting tech projects to work on with others

Cons

-its 2018, most of the tech companies in Toronto are offering the same perks and benefits
    -highly unstable place to work; lots of turnover and many people frequently leave/are let go at all levels (engineers, team leads, managers, directors)
    -I read the many of the Flipp stories (even way back from 2015) which share a very similar experience. There are serious trust/transparency issues. A culture of making decisions behind your back
    - the company has done well for itself till 2017, but as Flipp went into hypergrowth, there is a sense of hysteria and the place is more like a zoo. It's funny Flipp wants to go on a hiring spree (2 hires per week) yet cant seem to trust anybody.

Advice to Management

Get out of your bubble and take care of your employees. Stay true to your culture and values, be transparent and dont be quick to throw people under the bus. You have a lot of strong talent who dont need to be wasted.

"Great place to work"

I worked at Flipp full-time

Pros

- great company culture, great people
    - interesting and exciting work
    - opportunities for growth and development
    - competitive salary and excellent benefits

Cons

- while not a startup anymore, they are still developing and refining their long term plan in a changing marketplace

"Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Flipp does a very good job of wowing you on day one with great pay, benefits and other perks. They work very hard to speak about their company values (humble, hungry and highly intelligent). And for the most part their employees live by these cultural pillars.

• The people I’ve worked with at Flipp were great. Hard working and dedicated.

• The product itself has a lot of potential with a solid user base. If the organizational growing pains are fixed this company could go along way.

Cons

• In the product and engineering department their is a lack of organization, communication and accountability. Often times you never know why a certain decision was made or who is accountable for it. And when things go poorly the blame game starts between product and engineering - rather than the team accepting failure together.

• The teams are supposed to be self sufficient and able to make decisions about how to solve a problem. But, decisions are often made at a high level before trickling down. It’s not quite the inverted pryamid we are often told about. It’s just a pryamid.

• Teams and departments are silo’d. Sales and the executives makes outlandish promises which then engineers are held accountable for when unrealistic half baked targets are missed.

• There is a lot of turn over - both people leaving and being fired (especially in the last 2 months). Reasons for the mass firings are still unknown.

Advice to Management

• Be the servant leaders you speak so much about.

• Set attainable goals.

• The problem facing product and engineering is not delivery, but it’s a lack of organization, leadership and trust.

"Graphic Designer"

I have been working at Flipp full-time

Pros

-Amazing company culture. Working with the team with high trust is the best thing.
    -Work/life balance
    -Mentorship and coaching helped me to grow as a designer

Cons

Can't think of anything

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Love Flipp!"

I have been working at Flipp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great place to work.

Cons

I luckily don't have any complaints!

"Jr. Software Engineer"

I worked at Flipp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work environment and teammates
    - Lots of growth and exciting new projects
    - Flexible work hours
    - Great benefits
    - Lots of very smart people

Cons

- Sometimes repetitive work
    - On call schedule for some teams

"Good perks, good teammates, but management and culture can be an issue"

Pros

Lots of friendly colleagues, who all care for you in and outside of the office. Everyone within the office is a match, which makes for great friendly conversations. There is a huge focus on team and company health, which is great. In many ways, Flipp is like a big family!

As someone working earlier in their career, whether a coop, junior or even intermediate, Flipp is a great place to be and to learn!

Love communications at the company level . The company as a whole does a great job communicating issues and solution.

The perks are something that many people love. Whether it be snacks, Friday lunches, or events.

Cons

Although the culture looks fantastic on paper, in many cases it has been a hindrance to achieving results. It's very unfortunate because with some tweaks it can be turned into a positive. Allow more senior staff to have more impact rather than getting over powered by the more junior ones.

Over time you start to see how the politics around the office play out. Although the culture states that feedback should be provided to the person directly, you quickly notice that it is not the case. By the time the feedback makes its way back to you, it has either been weeks or the feedback is blown out of proportion because it has been told through multiple people. The concept of direct feedback is great, but something that is not practiced enough.

There is a lack of clarity from the business. Priority changes are normal and healthy, but it wasn't in this case. Most of what was planned was not planned well enough which lead to multiple delays. Many of the timelines are far too aggressive and account for 100% commitment. When I raised that concerned I was told "no one ever gets fired at Flipp for missing deadlines".

There are a lot of instances where I felt that I didn't have the right tools to succeed. This can be either a lack of direction or lack of training to help me achieve success. Goals and expectations is something that is touted within Flipp, but the reality is that the goals themselves are either non-existent or they no longer apply because of business priority changes. It is always great to know whether or not you are on track, rather than get surprises.

There has been a lot of turnover at the senior level. Many of whom feel that that it is difficult to innovate and that approaches or technologies aren't properly vetted out before they get rolled out. As such, it has lead to shifts in direction which caused friction. Working with the latest tools, technologies, and processes would allow Flipp to push into the future and attract more senior talent. Be open to working on open source tech and contributing back to the tech industry.

Lastly, work-life balance has been an issue. Although it has been said that Flipp focuses on work-life balance with work-from-home abilities. The reality is that it just isn't practiced as there is the unwritten expectation that you are in the office. On the days you are not, you miss updates, decisions are made without you, and you have to spend the next day catching up. Because the teams are under resourced, it means that you need to spend more time working. You end up feeling stressed and judged most of the time. It is not a healthy feeling. Flipp needs to invest into the tools to allow people to work from home, work on better resource planning, focusing on training that allows people to be flexible.

Advice to Management

Understandably, as the company grows, culture, technology, processes that was there originally don't quite work the same way anymore. Take the time to vet out new approaches rather than jumping into them and then trying again a few months later.

Go from the top down and evaluate how the business is actually running. There appears to be a huge disconnect between what is perceived as true and what is actually true, whether with a person or within teams. I've seen a lot of assumptions being made that should have been vetted first. Be less reactive and more proactive in ensuring results.

Take care of your senior staff. The culture is very focused on more junior staff. Without some drastic changes, it will be difficult to retain senior staff. You aren't providing enough opportunities for them to contribute or to try new things. Policies must change to allow autonomy across the board. There is no one size fits all solution as is currently promoted.

Lastly, there are people within Flipp that do want to help and bring the right changes to the company. Unfortunately, all my suggestions were either dismissed or was asked to revisit another time. Learn from this, listen to those who want to contribute towards Flipp's success.