GDS Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 17 March 2019

3.8
Spencer Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great culture, great people, strong leadership" (in 18 reviews)

• "Ping pong tables, 2 weeks paid off for Christmas" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you value your career and don't want to work in the boiler room do not join this business" (in 11 reviews)

• "None if you are prepared to work hard" (in 5 reviews)

"Self-belief and hard work will always earn you success"

Current Employee - Sales in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong sales training and development
    Competitive salary and commission structure
    Fast progression
    Opportunity to build lasting relationships with senior executives across multiple industries and geographies

Cons

The business would benefit from a consistent management team providing stability and less impact from organisational changes

"Exciting Environment and Supportive Senior Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at GDS Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've read a lot of reviews on GDS and I feel compelled to write my own…

As a relatively new employee at GDS, I've got to say that it's one of the most welcoming working environments I've entered; there are no cliques, and LOTS of smiling faces throughout the office.

People at every point in the company hierarchy (including the Chairman, CEO, and all VPs) have checked in with me to ask about how I’m finding my new role on. Senior members of staff also attend social events, such as drinks on a Friday which means that staff at GDS get to know one another on a personal level. This, in turn, heightens comradery and makes the working environment more enjoyable!

I’ve seen some people write about the backwards management or lack of support. I have to say that my experience couldn’t be more different! The HR team have been fantastic, and my manager has been accommodating and helpful – I really can’t complain.

My advice to people considering a job at GDS is: BDE and Sales Exec roles are difficult. They require a lot of perseverance and drive. It’s not a regular, low-effort 09:00 – 17:00 and you’ll undoubtedly need to put in a lot of work. (Which is why you see these bad reviews!)

That being said, if you’re determined and persistent, you’ll achieve great things at GDS.

Cons

As I touched upon in the 'Pros' section, it's a tough job and you've got to be up for the challenge!

"Leadership team"

I have been working at GDS Group full-time

Pros

GDS culture is dynamic and exciting. The rewards for high performers are clear and uncapped. The business is focussed on delivering maximum value for delegates and sponsors whilst providing the best working environment & opportunities for our people.

Cons

Sometimes the fast paced environment is tricky for under performers and we are working to improve training & development processes.

Advice to Management

Listen more. Tailor approach to running your teams to encourage everyone towards peak performance. Keep being brave and stand firm for the delegate experience and quality of our product. Product Drives Sales. Product Leads.

"Great Company & Fantastic Rewards"

Current Employee - Delegate Acquisition Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Delegate Acquisition Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great commission structure and absolutely great incentives involving Ski Trips to Val d'Isere , Driving Lamborghini's & Ferrari's and Beach Holidays in St Lucia

Cons

I wouldn't call it cons' but it is a performance driven job and it involves high stress situations sometimes so you have to be prepared for it

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job

"The best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Vice President in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at GDS Group full-time

Pros

I get to work with some really lovely talented people
    The environment is really fun and sociable
    There is a real focus on growth and everyone is putting 100% in which creates a really lively high energy atmosphere

Cons

Invest in new chairs

Advice to Management

Management is very good, approachable and has a strong vision for the future of the business

"Great Opportunity & Extremely Rewarding"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Absolutely fantastic people to work with across the business who all genuine care about the company and love what they do.
    - Amazing opportunities to work and partner with the biggest and most exciting companies in the world.
    - Everyday is exciting and is never the same as you are constantly learning new skills and upskilling yourself.
    - The commercial benefits are in the top tier for a salesperson where there are multiple incentives in place to motivate you which include an excellent commission structure, exotic trips away to 5 star locations and add on incentives (iPads, headphones, vouchers etc).
    - There is great opportunity to travel all over the world to work across Europe and the US.

Cons

- The work is hard but extremely rewarding, it is a business like no other so it does take time to find your feet but once you do the rewards are two-fold.
    - Long hours are required if you want to be successful as you are calling multiple time zones from Central Europe to New York and San Francisco etc.
    - There is naturally an expectation to perform and deliver results once you have completed your training so KPI's are monitored to this effect.

Advice to Management

- Pledges and promises should be upheld e.g. future products being ready by the time we have to sell them, quarterly incentives done on time etc.
    - Training needs to be improved and needs to involve more senior members of the sales floor delivering multiple topics to help current staff but also onboard new starters.
    - Further training needs to be provided to persons who have brought in deals for the first time - goal setting calls, meeting selection help, account management and best practice.
    - There is not as much focus or incentive for repeat work and by extension customer service to ensure clients work with us again as compared to new business work.
    - Potentially look at how to excite the floor and make sessions more fun or more engaging to drive the sales floor.
    - Process needs to be looked at - real lists of attendees and real projects pitched.

"Some really talented people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Healthy respect for employees
    -Smart, talented people
    -Good bonus schemes if you perform well
    -Some good travel opportunities
    -Most co-workers are friendly
    -No real politics and most career advancement is based on merit

Cons

-Many managers have been there a long time
    -Not flexible towards working hours

Advice to Management

Create a clearer career path and support employees to get where they want to go

"Good place just not for me"

I worked at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff are all around the same age and share a lot of common interests. If you get on the right team for your personality, this can be an awesome place to work.

After I left, I interviewed a lot of companies, and they loved the fact I had experience talking with senior level executives at Fortune 1000 companies... This has been a huge asset in my career.

It's not for everyone, there can be a lot of dry months, but the right team, with the right personality, you can really crush it.

Also, lots of opportunity to travel. In my first year and a half I got to attend 2 events.

Overall, coming out of university it was cool to work in the financial district, with people my own age and make a decent income.

Cons

There is no room to improvise when you first start - it's militant.
    You have to learn to avoid people who complain about the company because they will likely not be around long.

Advice to Management

The strength of the business remains on the events that are put together... A solid program means a better sell, and ultimately happier staff.

"Great place to start and develop a career in business"

Current Employee - GDS Digital - Chief Executive Officer in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined GDS in October 2018 and have been really impressed with the energy, commitment and professionalism in the company. This is a can-do place where hard-work and achievement is both respected and rewarded. I would recommend GDS as a great place to start and develop a career in business.

Cons

None of any significance .

Advice to Management

Keep growing the business in Bristol.

"Great Colleagues"

I have been working at GDS Group (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is very approachable for advice & training.
    - Good working hours with no pressure to stay longer.
    - Promotions are internal with lots of room to succeed.

Cons

- High level of performance expected across the board, not necessarily a con but not for everyone.

Advice to Management

- More social events in 2019.