HubShout Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 30 November 2018

3.5
Chad Hill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We do lunches and happy hours for those who like to socialize" (in 3 reviews)

• "I also learned a lot of skills that would have been impossible to learn in the same amount of time without the hands on experience with so many clients" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Though it is true that the Premium Writer position is an entry-level job, the low pay also became difficult to live on" (in 8 reviews)

• "It was clear that this was an entry-level job" (in 4 reviews)

1. "nice"

I worked at HubShout full-time

Pros

great coworkers, cool office space, opportunity for remote

Cons

pay is low, workload is high, not impossible tho. it's entry level so it's to be expected

3 Dec 2018 – President

Hi! Thanks for the review. We love feedback. Glad to hear you bonded with the team here! Of course, that has been the norm for most. Our recent Culture Survey was the highest score we've ever seen... More

2. "Patience, Hard Work, and a Social Spirit Needed"

Current Employee - Content Writer
    Current Employee - Content Writer

I have been working at HubShout full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of social opportunities with a medium-size office full of friendly people. There are a few employees who don't participate in many social activities, but overall you'll enjoy the culture more if you get to know people. The workload is demanding, so procrastinators and slow writers beware. If you can handle the workload, the autonomy they give you is wonderful. Casual office as far as dress etc, but everyone is serious about building and improving a good company culture and a successful business. Genuinely enthusiastic and welcoming atmosphere. They promote internally whenever possible. Most people in management besides the heads of the company started out as entry-level content writers. Everyone is very willing to mentor you and help you forge skills and a career path.

Cons

Competitive pay and upward mobility are kind of limited right now since it's not a huge company. On the plus side, the company is developing specializations and micro-promotions, especially for content writers. Also, if you're mainly looking to pad your writing portfolio, this isn't necessarily the place for you. Since the company is white label, writers only get a byline for very select pieces and are essentially ghost writers for the majority of their work.

29 Oct 2018 – President

Thank you very much for posting. We love feedback and believe that it allow us to grow stronger as a company. We are very glad our culture efforts are making the company experience more enjoyable... More

"Fear and Loathing in White Label SEO"

I worked at HubShout full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Even though I'd love to absolutely hate this company, it played an important part in my development as a person and as a professional.
    --The people are fantastic, which makes for a pleasant office.
    -- There are opportunities to learn many different facets of digital marketing, even if they mostly revolve around SEO and PPC.
    -- If you work as a writer, you will build up a solid portfolio in no time at all.
    -- As far as launching your career, Hubshout is as good a place as any to do so.
    -- Like college, in a way, hubshout taught me what I DON'T want to do with my life. Not a sarcastic comment at all, this is genuinely positive.

I loved working here for the first six months, but it wore me down. You will feel welcome on your first day here, you will enjoy your time. That all fades away, unfortunately.

Cons

Honestly, this company is exploitative. They wring every ounce of creativity from the writing team, paying them an obscenely low hourly rate. Similar jobs will pay around $45k per year while hubshout barely pays half of that. If you want a raise you will need to throw away all of your already deteriorating social life and focus only on projects, 'innovation', and company values.

The pay is ridiculously low, sure, but that's not what irked me so. It was the leveraging of 'values' in such violently dishonest ways. Upper management will lead you to believe that values are a truly integral aspect of their organization and decision-making process. This is so far from the truth that the entire idea is laughable. There are no ethics here, at least at the upper management level. I would accept this as a critical requirement of company loyalty and employee retention, but it hasn't worked. The turnover rate here is astronomical. I've worked minimum wage jobs where the average employee has been with the company longer than people stay with hubshout on average. There's got to be a reason for this, a reason that higher-ups at hubshout actively ignore.

As for the products themselves, writers slave away for forty hours per week at a quota of 45 articles and 5 extra tasks. Let's look at the extra tasks real quick: they are advertised as time you can spend enriching your own knowledge of marketing, business, and professional skills. This is not how they really work. You will end up spending over 5 hours every week on essential job functions, then have no time to enrich yourself. Plus, the writers (paid the least out of everyone) are the only employees that are required to do this. Now, let's look at the compensation itself.

$12.23 per hour (non-negotiable), 40 hours per week, 45 task quota. That means you are doing roughly 1.125 articles per hour. This doesn't even factor in your 5 extra tasks. Each task is a minimum of 370 words, but most stretch past 400. Still, at the bare minimum, you need to write 416 words per hour, accounting for the adjusted hourly article rate. This works out to be just under 3 cents per word. Make no mistake, hubshout is a content mill with an office and rates worse than many gigs on upwork. Plus, it is made very obvious from the beginning that all writers are replaceable. Why? The articles we write are generic, poorly optimized, and low quality. Anyone with half a keyboard can write them.

I don't mean to rain on hubshout's parade, BUT they have a lot of issues that need some serious work. Not least of which is getting the manipulative leadership tactics out of the cesspool. I won't go into detail here, because the person who reads and responds to these 'anonymous' glassdoor reviews likely already knows who wrote this. So, hi! You are a brilliant person and quite a strong leader, but please stop trying to manipulate your employees with your carefully chosen words. It is much more transparent than you realize.

Advice to Management

Read this review. Take it to heart. This is not so much written for prospective employees as it is written for the sake of your hard working company. You were good to me for a short while and I would be remiss if I didn't at least offer you a fair and honest review of why I believe the writer's job is broken. Here are the things I hope you all take away from this review:
    --Compensate your writers. They do the heavy lifting. Without them, you would have no product.
    --Stop stuffing values down people's throats. Whether or not you truly believe in them is irrelevant, the majority of employees don't believe that you believe in them. Hence the stagnant culture scores.
    --Get long-form content working. It's ridiculous that an SEO firm doesn't offer a product with proven superior results.
    --Confront the major issue with ROWE. Writers write better from home-> they don't come into the office. You want them in the office? Incentivize.
    --How is kanban going? I genuinely hope you guys figure out how to push experiments through the pipline without SQLs.

Make no mistake, I would not reccommend anyone to this company, but that's because it was not the place for me. It might be the place for you. I hope only the best for everyone there, especially the director of opperations and the link outreach lead.

I'd like to close with this: Thank you for the opportunity to work with such talented people. If any of you ever want to talk about life and the pursuit of passions, you know where to reach me.

8 Jul 2018 – President

Hi! And a big Thank You for sharing. As we've said many, many times before - our values (especially Integrity) require that we listen deeply to all feedback. We will share your feedback and discuss... More

"Premium Writer"

Former Employee - Premium Writer in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Premium Writer in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at HubShout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HubShout is a great place to launch a marketing career. It is a casual and engaging workplace, and management encourages collaboration at all levels. The company is team-oriented and employees truly do have an opportunity to have their voices heard.

I made lasting connections at HubShout and admire my former coworkers for their drive. If you are at the beginning of your career and are looking for a place to learn about SEO and content writing, this may be the job for you. While working at HubShout, you do not need to worry about simply being a name on a screen. If they choose to do so, every employee can be part of the company culture and business development process.

As for the Premium Writer position specifically, the job offers a lot of flexibility. After a certain amount of time at the company, writers can work remotely, allowing you to adapt to your own creative process. This was a huge perk of the job, and it allows you to save your PTO.

Cons

While HubShout overall can be an enjoyable place to work, especially for the young professional, the content writer job is difficult to sustain. Writers are required to complete a high volume of work in an unrealistic amount of time. Over time, this demand took a serious toll on my mental and physical health. While the management team was aware of this stress, there was no sense of urgency to change the writing quota or job structure. Rather, writers were encouraged to work on projects to make changes themselves -- only to find that this commitment cut into writing time.

Overall, the relationship between management and the writers was strong, as the entire content team meets twice per week. However, the lines between horizontal and top-down leadership were often blurred. During the end of my time at HubShout, I noticed that many decisions were being made within the editorial and management team, rather than including the writers. This move away from horizontal structure played a role in my choice to leave the company.

Though it is true that the Premium Writer position is an entry-level job, the low pay also became difficult to live on. Any applicants should be aware of this when considering the job.

Advice to Management

As a human and a professional, I want to encourage all managers to observe and listen to the writers. I know that my experience was not isolated, and I truly believe that writing for HubShout could be an enriching experience if the writers were valued. The reality is that the sheer amount of stress will drive writers out for years to come, and it's up to management to decide whether they want retention.

I would also encourage management to be wary of the startup label, especially after 10 years in business. HubShout has the potential to grow and be a wonderful place to work. From employee compensation to training procedures, there are opportunities to show that the company is invested in its workers and future. While this may take radical change, I believe HubShout can lower turnover and help ideas grow.

5 Mar 2018 – President

Hi!

And thanks so much for your thoughtful post. We are so glad that you made lasting connections here. We see that a ton, and are very proud that many are able to launch their careers from our... More

5. "Good entry level postition"

I worked at HubShout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+decent culture
    +flex hours
    +happy hour on fridays
    +cake for birthdays
    +very relaxed dress code
    +dogs in office

Cons

+no yearly raises
    +more work for no increase in pay

Advice to Management

Give annual raises to retain good employees

29 Jan 2018 – President

Thanks very much for your feedback. We are a very values-driven firm and view every piece of feedback an opportunity to learn and get better. We are glad that our efforts on culture are obvious to... More

6. "Hubshout was a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at HubShout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great coworkers, everybody at Hubshout really cares about the clients they serve. It was a fun place to work, positive atmosphere and provided good training. The managers were fair and communicated with the team frequently. Company values were taken seriously.
    A forward-looking management way of thinking included the use of the Lean Startup and Tribal Leadership.
    Overall great place to work

Cons

Some of the training was very intensive and technical. Needed to study and pay close attention to the material presented.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what has been working. They are growing, clients and employees are happy!

11 Dec 2017 – President

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review of the company. Our values insist that we listen mindfully in an effort to innovate and grow. I read your review (as I do with all reviews... More

7. "Marketing Analyst"

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Falls Church, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Falls Church, VA (US)

I worked at HubShout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HubShout is a great company that fosters a strong, employee-driven culture. The various teams worked together closely and supported each other to provide the best possible service to their clients, management and team leaders encouraged employees to share ideas and come up with creative solutions, and there is an overall commitment to learning and growth within the company. All of my colleagues were incredibly talented, hardworking individuals, and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work alongside them.

Along with the great team and culture, the experience I gained throughout my time at HubShout (just about 2 years) was amazing. I got to work on projects that truly shaped me professionally and personally. HubShout was my first step into the world of digital marketing (a world I knew very little about prior to working here), and the work I got to do there really developed my passion for this industry. I can honestly say I would not be where I am today without my experiences at HubShout.

Cons

There wasn't a ton of room for advancement within the company, but from the time I started to the time I left, the company has gone a long way to create growth and develop leadership roles for employees. With a little more work (which I know they are working hard at) they will be there in no time.

Advice to Management

Continue working hard to create growth and opportunity for your company and employees.

1 Dec 2017 – President

Thanks so much for the feedback. We plan to continue to create growth and opportunity for HubShouters as much as possible. We feel bad that this process takes so long, but we remain committed... More

8. "Hubshout is a company committed to the growth of each team member"

Current Employee - Vice President - Account Management in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President - Account Management in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at HubShout full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Book clubs
    2. Supportive work enviornment
    3. Ok to make mistakes
    4. Commitment to learning
    5. Employee generated experiments
    6. Team of exceptional people who perform at a high level
    7. Happy hours

Cons

Although we are committed to growing we still need to add consistency in terms of growing our team and our revenue

Advice to Management

Continue on the current path of developing new leaders

1 Dec 2017 – President

Thanks for taking the time to give us the feedback. We do have TONs of Book Clubs in the office. I personally find them very fulfilling as we get to know each other as real people. But it's nice to... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at HubShout full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- very dedicated to values
    - learning is the utmost priority
    - management genuinely cares about employees and growing their careers, either at HubShout or elsewhere
    - career growth and upward movement opportunities are available for the right person willing to work hard
    - ideas are heard and often built on

Cons

- training can sometimes be confusing and inconsistent
    - parking is sometimes a pain

Advice to Management

I've been at HubShout for 2 years, and the amount of growth, learning, and real honest to goodness listening I have seen cultivated at all levels of the company has been astounding.

Granted, my experience has not always been peaches and cream. To avoid getting into the issues that I dealt with, it would have been completely reasonable for me to have quit and left a scathing review here.

But between book clubs, one-on-ones with the president and CEO, it was clear that HubShout really cared about my ideas and my complaints. Since then, I've been promoted, and a lot of it is due to the culture work that we've done here (book clubs, aligning with our values, listening) and the never faltering support from management.

HubShout has helped me grow and given me a place to do so. It's a small company, with excellent benefits, and yes, to move up you are going to have to work hard at what you do. But you also have a place to speak up and dissent, learn how to be a better professional and person. Some of the lessons around listening, and emotional intelligence I use everyday outside of work too.

I'm doing things here that I never thought I would ever do I work hard every day at a job that I never thought I would feel good doing. HubShout has been a great place to work, and I'm really glad I'm here. My being here and growth here has really mattered, and that has made all the difference.

28 Aug 2017 – President

Thanks so much for your feedback! It is very gratifying to hear of your professional and personal growth at HubShout. As you know, we value that highly. The book clubs with various members of the... More

10. "Solid stepping stone to the next opportunity"

Former Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at HubShout full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The teams were close, and there was cooperation across all teams to get the job done. The office was open to new ideas on how to solve various problems, so it was a place where you could come with a well thought out idea and actually implement. I also learned a lot of skills that would have been impossible to learn in the same amount of time without the hands on experience with so many clients.

This place gives you the experience of someone who has worked in the field for years, but without that wait. After working there a few years, I was able to work on hundreds of sites, see tons of different scenarios that we needed to figure out a solution, and improve both technically and personally.

As an analyst we had internal contests to see who could hit more of their client goals. At the end of the month we would get a small bonus ($50 amazon gift card I think).

Cons

I think I agree with some of the other reviews where the workload did become an issue at times. The HubShout team tried to manage it, but looking back I think we could have done some things differently. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. I hear they're doing better with it now, so hopefully they have a system worked out to help people feel like the work is manageable.

This is the same issue most agencies have, so I don't feel too bad pointing it out here.

The hiring process was a little bit of a mess when I was there. It would have been better if there was one set HR person in the company, then had teams meet later on in the interview process. It would help curb wasted time with applicants who didn't fit.

I don't think there was a ton of room to advance within the company. There were a few spots, but for the majority of people working here the only way to move up is to move out of the company.

Advice to Management

Develop real skills for everyone in the organization. Keep understanding (which I know you do) that the junior staff you hire will soon leave for better compensation.

The best compensation I got from this company was working on some of the biggest accounts, and working with the volume of different types of accounts. I left the company a few years ago, I still refer back to some of the work I did. It's a resume builder, and it made me a better analyst. Challenge the people in the organization who want more from the organization by giving them a shot at bigger projects. If they are smart, they'll do the best job they can which they can then use at the next interview.

Pay is lower than I would have liked, but I also understand it's a starting point. Funny thing is that pay here was higher than the first "agency" I worked at in the area. Find what people really care about, then try to give it to them. If they only care about money, then work out different goal based bonuses throughout the year (either per period or per project).

Parties and free beer are fun for morale, but continue to work on a way to reward employees for the direct contributions they make.

24 Jul 2017 – President

Hi! And thanks! We greatly appreciate the time you took to share this with us. Hearing that your experience as a HubShouter prepared you for the next level makes us happy inside! :-)

We also... More