Maxim Group Reviews

Updated 15 Jul 2020

3.4
Maxim Group Chairman and CEO Michael Rabinowitz
Michael Rabinowitz
Pros
  • "You can directly speak to the President of Maxim (Chris Fiore) who always makes himself available to his team in Capital Markets(in 8 reviews)

• "Get sponsored for your licenses; Learn something from senior sales people; Get the prestige of a decent size "investment bank"(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, keep what you kill mentality, people are very self centered(in 5 reviews)

• "Not many good products to go around and only top brokers have access(in 3 reviews)

1. "Ok la"

4.0
    Former Employee - Team Member in Hong Kong

I worked at Maxim Group part-time

Pros

Above minimum wage salary pay

Cons

Not that much cons honestly

"Chris Fiore and dealflow at Maxim Group invaluable in buyside move"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Maxim Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Switch to buyside made possible thanks to standout dealflow and responsibilities under Chris and his team. Took a deeper understanding of the capital raising process into interviews than many competitors at the same level and it showed in the resulting move to an international special situations fund

Cons

Didn't ultimately stay at the firm as long as I might have liked, but the experience was invaluable and what I was fortunate to learn will help me throughout my career

Maxim Group Response

June 15, 2020Chief Marketing Officer

Glad to hear you had a fulfilling experience at Maxim that helped advance your career. Please stay in touch with the "Maxim Family" and we hope to work with you again in the future. - David Shapiro

3. "Exceptional exposure, learning experience under Chris Fiore at Maxim Group"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Maxim Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure is far greater than at peer firms, in terms of working alongside company management, engaging buyside and proximity to internal leadership (Chris and his team). The technical skills to be learnt (at an analyst level) and opps for building relationship t/out the Street are second to none. Chris' network opens doors upon exit.

Cons

Top-heavy firm which means you have to fight for a position to contribute. Good problem to have but something that requires relentless work ethic

4. "Great!"

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst

I worked at Maxim Group full-time

Pros

Great culture and people to wrok with.

Cons

I can not think of any off of the top of my head.

5. "Great Opportunity to Get Your Foot in the Door"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Maxim Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get sponsored for your licenses; Learn something from senior sales people; Get the prestige of a decent size "investment bank".

Cons

Sweat shop compensation and hours compared to other investment banks; no benefits or medical insurance. Simply put, the firm or the management team doesn't care about you, at all.

6. "great management/culture"

4.0
    Former Employee - Retail Broker in New York, NY

I worked at Maxim Group full-time

Pros

good place to start in the business, exposure to deals

Cons

tough business as a whole

"Strong firm leadership and good culture"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Maxim Group part-time

Pros

Chris Fiore, President, is a strong leader of the firm who shows genuine care for his employees and has a clear vision for the firm's future. He encourages a positive culture that emanates throughout the firm, and has insightful strategies for taking the firm to new heights Anthony Vendetti, Director of Research, heads an intelligent department of research analysts and associates who are incisive, supportive, and effective under his leadership.

Cons

There is nothing too major to report

"Bad morals."

2.0
    Current Employee - Institutional Sales Trader

I have been working at Maxim Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team/coworkers were great. Leadership is intelligent and market savvy- learned a lot from them. Clean safe working environment. Strong Mission Statement.

Cons

They enter in to these shady Direct Public Offerings with struggling companies and very low penny prices (which lowers/bottoms out public investors shares) then when the stock goes up a penny or two- they sell. They make a killing while the public suffers the losses of now dirt cheap shares. When I found out they were doing this shady practice- I lost belief in the company morals and ethical business practices.

9. COVID-19

"The worst company ever"

1.0
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Maxim Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

terrible company, do not work for this place

Cons

Wish I can give no stars. The worst company to work for, it has extremely bad culture and the senior managers do not have any leadership skills and they only care about money. They recently laid off a lot of people during coronavirus outbreak. It's only been 2 weeks and they started laid off couple of folks on capital market side. It's just so wrong and inhumane. Do your self a favor, do not join this toxic company. Go work for big shops where they respect people more. There are many senior managers do not respect their employees and often made racist and sexist comments. Worst company ever. Be aware

10. "Pathetic"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Maxim Group full-time

Pros

Not going to have to work long hours

Cons

Very low pay. Not a motivating work environment.

Maxim Group Response

March 30, 2020Chief Marketing Officer

I am sorry you didn't have a positive experience working with us at Maxim Group. We work hard to create a team-oriented and motivating environment. If you'd like to confidentially provide additional feedback with suggestions for improvement, please email me at dshapiro@maximgrp.com or call 212-895-3612. Maxim is almost 20 years old with 300 employees and we are always trying to be a better firm by being better to all members of the "Maxim Family." - David Shapiro, Chief Marketing Officer.

Found 66 reviews