Meraki Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.6
Meraki General Manager Todd Nightingale
Todd Nightingale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good facilities like gym and free food" (in 35 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is good, and deadlines are usually very reasonable" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "This has created high turnover and middle management who don't know how to manage up or below them" (in 11 reviews)

• "Bay Area Cost of Living is TOO HIGH for the salary they provide for this position and they know it" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growth & Change"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The senior leadership team actively looks for feedback on how to move the team in a direction that grows with the company and the individual contributors. As a parent, I have actively championed flexibility in the role, and although changes are small, its changes nonetheless. My leaders have always seen my potential and encouraged my growth within the organization. I love the people I work and my management team.

Cons

Location of Office. It's definitely a long commute if you don't want to live in San Francisco, most commutes outside the City are 1 hour+.

Advice to Management

Continuously seek feedback and continue to challenge the "way we have always done it". If we can do that, the sky's the limit.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Office has many great perks and amenities (free food, gym, etc.). People are all great. Product is awesome and the sales process is great for anyone looking to build and maintain relationships w/ key contacts.

Cons

None that I can think of

"#metoo"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture. The OGs stay long term. Quality product.

Cons

I've written and deleted this review a couple of times, but I feel it's important to write this. As others have mentioned, there's a real bro/frat vibe here. I was the top performer and got awards for my work and I love it here. What I didn't love was the harassment from the Sales Managers I worked with directly. It's so bad that when the #metoo movement came out, the very first thought that came to mind was Meraki, sadly enough.

I'd get stares and comments on a weekly basis. A married sales manager once said in front of others that if he wasn't married, he'd be all over me and everyone just laughed it off. Another sales manager saw me drop something and he asked me if I could bend over again. He was also married with kids. When I reported to HR (after a few women saw and told me to), they made me feel like the vilan. I'm not sure how this situation got turned around on me. HR told the sales manager and the sales manager asked me how far I was planning to take this because he was in the middle of buying a house and he needed to know if I was going to push to get him fired. They made things really uncomfortable for me and I ended up leaving a company I loved. I still have anxiety to this day thinking about it. The bro culture is real there and even though I was their top performer, the company will protect their sales managers because they are the ones who bring in the big bucks.

Advice to Management

Support your female employees who work up the courage to report sexual harassment rather than taking the side of your sales managers. There was a lot of inappropriate, uncomfortable things that happened there and it's not right to mak the female feel it's their fault. You enabled this culture in your sales dept.

"Good pay, disappointing management and not much fun for people looking for a true sales role"

Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Territory Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remuneration and benefits are very competitive and attractive, and if you last two years, the company has a strong preference of promoting from within. A good place for young people early on in their careers.

Cons

Success is highly dependent on the region assigned, with South Europe having to work much harder to achieve less than the North and the UK. Sales is actually more like administration, simply processing orders and confirming applicable discounts, and there is really only a single product to sell (the Meraki dashboard), which makes for monotonous work after the first few months. Internal conflicts with Cisco staff, who often view Meraki as competitors rather than partners, is frustrating and detrimental to Meraki's sales. Managers view workers dispassionately, you really have the feeling you are just a number, and decisions are made very quickly, with people changing roles constantly. Employee turnover is incredibly high, with people leaving every month. Every year there is a completely new team.

Advice to Management

Develop more personal relationships with people, make decisions that are better founded and reasoned and less hasty, taking into account employees as people.

"London"

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, great people

Cons

Most of the things are pretty great. Lots of fun

"BEWARE!"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

Same perks as the usual for most tech companies - plus Cisco benefits.

Cons

Meraki does not listen to their employees at all, or take action to help difficult situations. There are teams within the company who have reported their managers to HR over and over again - to no avail. One of their senior leaders within recruiting (for support) has pushed 4 people out of the company - they did this by managing by instilling fear in those around them, asking team members to "tattle" on each other, and removing the lines of communication for their team members to raise concerns.

Advice to Management

Cisco should step in, take over, and put a stop to the drama.

"Network Support Engineer"

I have been working at Meraki full-time

Pros

-Great deal of people to ask questions when you get stuck on that tough technical support call
    -Managers are typically helpful when things get gritty
    -Plenty of Overtime potential (emphasis on plenty)...it's almost required
    -Fast paced, engaging environment, never a dull moment.

Cons

-Generic benefits, and no time to use it; If you're sick, you take your PTO.
    -Bay Area Cost of Living is TOO HIGH for the salary they provide for this position and they know it.
    -High turnover rate, many don't have the fortitude to take abuse from clients past 12 months or so.

"Stay away from the sinking ship"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Meraki full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The standard perks that come with software engineering positions in the Bay Area (free lunch, slacks, pool table).

Cons

Struggling to hire and retain talent, especially with diversity. There have been lots of "conversations" and "metrics" around diversity, but not much has actually been done to address it. Promotion or departure is often centered around "who is most social with others" or "politically the savviest", not necessarily who is most qualified for the position. Lots of projects worked on or rejected on because of political reasons, rather than actually what's best for our company overall and our customers. Lots of senior engineers departing recently as a result. New grad salary/stock doesn't keep pace with other tech companies in the area.

Advice to Management

Quit the games and politics and start realistically looking at what's going on.

"Great company and culture"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, culture, product and people. Meraki is great to work for and i'm very happy in a challenging and appreciated role.

Cons

Getting a feature request prioritized for clients is very challenging.

"The job that you should try to avoid"

Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Meraki full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Exposure to multiple technologies (Switching, routing, security, Wireless...)
    -Access to online learning materials
    -You will find good people there that are going through the same issues as you
    -food, snacks but you won't have time to enjoy that as you will be working all the time

Cons

lets start...
    1- Stressful job, you are in the forefront, so mainly you get the bad feedback while another department (sales) get the good feedback from customers.
    2- No down time at work, expect to work on your lunch break if you have to leave at time.
    3- you will be answering phone calls 7.5 hrs and trying to response to email cases while you are talking over the phone to avoid the SLA's
    4-Support will be supporting everything, from tracking the customer's shipment to finding out bugs in products.
    5- You don't feel you are part of Meraki if you are at support, you are not allowed to attend Meraki town-hall meetings to get to know what is going on, also other departments look down to support Engineers
    6- Low pay, recruiters target newly graduates and foreigners so they can pay them less than the average for low bay area technical jobs
    7-Don't expect a raise soon, it takes time ( every 1.5 years at least)
    8-You have to work night shifts( 3 pm - 12 am) every 8 weeks
    9-New Engineers have to work 6-3 am shift for the first 6-9 months
    10- you are not allowed to work remotely
    10- Bay Area is expensive in general so you have to live far, and since you are doing the 6 am shift then you will be waking up around 4 am everyday to arrive to work at 6 am
    Bottom line, I won't recommend this job for a friend

Advice to Management

-Surprisingly you feel that the management is decoupled from the engineers( although they were engineers before becoming managers)
    -Mangers don't have any previous leadership experience, so you will be the training material
    -You are just a number, and you can be replaced in a heartbeat