Paychex Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci
1,119 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "More staff means better work life balance" (in 153 reviews)

• "Paychex also has great benefits and supports a quality work/life balance" (in 208 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance could be better" (in 48 reviews)

• "There are a lot of client issues so sales reps spend a lot of time fixing issues instead of selling" (in 59 reviews)

1. "MMS Sales in Los Angeles"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great. Strong energy and desire from leadership to help team succeed. Finally someone who is making positive changes and believes in collaborative efforts with each person. Company provides training to prepare reps succeed in the field. Ability to speak free with leadership about concerns and the trust it's not taken as a negative but used to improve process and service. Leadership is available and is willing to take calls anytime to assist where needed.

Cons

New management holds everyone accountable. Super competitive market place. No matter how well one is doing, it is never enough. Partners should stop picking favorites and give others a chance.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting positive leadership from inside Paychex rather than recruiting from outside.

2. "Good overall"

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company, good benefits, I like my clients.

Cons

Workload/client list is too large to provide a great client experience.

3. "Amazing opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An fantastic company that heavily invests in employees

Cons

Not located in the biggest cities

Advice to Management

Don’t stop investing in employees

4. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Buffalo, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leaders, Comp, training and opportunities. Direct correlation between your abilities and income.

Cons

Inbound leads often are misdirected to virtual sales even though our work produced them.

Advice to Management

Continue great trainings and support.

5. "Great Careers to be had at Paychex"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Highest quality people and services! Outstanding benefits and company culture. I came for the job many years ago and stayed because it never gets old! Personal growth is a way of life here at Paychex for yourself and helping others.

Cons

In the technology sector you have to be agile and not everyone is.

6. "Great training for entry sales, succeed here and you'll be valuable!"

Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A Top 125 Training Organization, excellent training provided
    -Work independently
    -Not micro-managed, as long as you are hitting your numbers
    -Realistic Quotas
    -Attainable Bonus/Incentive plans
    -Selling business services that make a difference to business owners
    -Amazing Customer Service compared to other competitors
    -Fun Environment
    -Good base salary but you really have to be a self-starter and be motivated to succeed

Cons

-Payroll sales can be a grind
    -Prospective Clients/business owners jump competitor services often
    -Prospective Clients/business owners can be jerks
    -Certain territories can be low on opportunities but high on quota

Advice to Management

-The good ole' boy network is a waste of company time/money. Document underperforming managers and employees and remove.

7. "Great company with unlimited growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Culture, people, growth opportunity, benefits, community involvement opportunities, rewarding client relationships, leadership investment in employee development

Cons

Fast paced days make the time pass quickly, must be able to multi-task, ability to leverage technology with ease

13 Mar 2019 – Employment Brand Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! This is great feedback for potential candidates - all of your pros are spot on and it's true - our teams work quickly, with agility, and in some fast... More

8. "If you are a great salesperson, the sky is the limit. If not, you will not make it"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The very best leaders, trainers and products. Numerous top producers have been at Houston Paychex over 10 years. They are great and love it. The first 2-3 years can be challenging but that is the case everywhere. Now I work smarter versus harder and it all has come together. The Managers here are leaders and are also really tenured. The products sold are exceptional and the service people are not a call center overseas but actually work here for Paychex

Cons

If you think you can coast and be successful then this is not a company for you. They take care of you, but you have to be willing to work. Base is low versus others, but my W2 is way higher then when I worked at a competitor.

Advice to Management

A higher base would be nice, but if that means a lower total comp then forget it.

13 Mar 2019 – Employment Brand Program Manager

Thank you for your review and for your time here at Paychex! We agree our employees, products and services are the best in the biz. :) You're right though - success in sales anywhere takes some ramp... More

9. "More than a paycheck."

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture of Coaching: With weekly 1:1s, frequent, informal feedback, team meetings, shadows of peers and partners, corporate leadership programs and access to on-demand training content, Paychex has emphasized my development all along the way. I often compare the coaching I have received to my peers outside this company and feel fortunate for the development I have received. If you want to get better, Paychex gives you the resources to do so.

Career Path: Here - If you are driven and find success, have the aspiration, and possess a growth mindset, you can build a career here easily. Opportunities to meet peers in other divisions are frequent - and I have tried to seize those encounters to learn more about how our company works, how to get better by stealing best practices. An unlikely benefit: Career opportunity for those who want it.

Building Wealth: My career here has brought more than a W-2. The discounted stock purchase plan helped pay for my wedding. The 401k plan (and my grandfather's stellar investment advice) has built my nest egg. RSU awards are stashed away for kid's college. Speaking of kids... The FSA helps me pay for daycare and the medical insurance options are stellar.

Cons

Paychex is in growth mode. You have to move quickly, change quickly, embrace quickly, and lead innovation in order to be successful.

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate - Each year we make strides in being a leading HCM/PEO provider. Keep up the good work!

13 Mar 2019 – Employment Brand Program Manager

Thank you for your review! You have our commitment that we'll continue finding ways to be the best at what we do - always in all ways. Thank you for your 10+ years of service and for being a part... More

"Great Culture, Great Benefits, Good Pay"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paychex offers all of kinds of amazing perks. These include tuition reimbursement (or tuition reduction for select schools), Health coaching, affordable health insurance, dental, vision, 401K, reduced stock price purchase options, on site gym (Phoenix location), bonuses, etc. Pay is pretty good starting out, and increases after finishing Senior Payroll training. The culture in Phoenix is amazing. People are friendly and engaged, and it's apparent that management cares about the employees. They strive to do a lot of charity work with the community. They really focus on career development and improving within the company. They are plenty of opportunities for promotion. They are also all about not taking work home with you. The work environment in Phoenix is awesome.

Cons

Starting out, the training is a lot. It's not overwhelming, but it's still a lot to ingest. Getting out onto the floor, you start in a department called Rapid Response working with overflow calls for reps that are busy. This environment can be stressful and fast paced. Sometimes it feels like you can't take a breath between calls. However, eventually you are assigned your own clients to work with and you leave Rapid Response. Rapid response is a department for people just coming out of training. Some other departments seem to be less cohesive, especially if the majority of the department is in another state. This isn't an issue for Payroll though.

Advice to Management

Cohesiveness between departments with staff in multiple locations is important. I've noticed/heard of some employees feeling like their needs aren't being met because their department is located mostly in another state like Florida and their existence in Phoenix seems to be an after thought. This is second hand information though.

18 Feb 2019 – Employment Brand Program Manager

Thank you for this review! Your positive feedback touches on so many of the things that make Paychex such a great place to work and we're glad to see you have found value in them! Our Rapid Response... More