Percolate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated Jul 24, 2019

3.6
Percolate CEO Randy Wootton
Randy Wootton
Pros
  • "Percolate is a great company with a very good work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• "Awesome office, awesome people, great product, passionate clients(in 8 reviews)

"Exodus"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Once upon a time, Percolate had an amazing culture. It's still kind of there, but a little worse for the wear. Even so, there's some truly lovely people that work there. In the time I was at Percolate, I never had anything but positive interactions with my peers. Everyone's a professional and seems to work hard at their job. There's nice little perks like catered lunch once a week, cold brew on tap and healthy... snacks. There's even a full espresso machine. Every so often there's small office events with food and booze - always nice. Engineering is a mixed bag, but there's no denying that a lot of stellar work was done on the tooling and infrastructure. Regardless of the outcome, there's a lot of smart people trying to create and maintain good processes. The work can be hard, but overall there's real personal control of work/life balance.

Cons

People are leaving in droves, so bandwidth suffers constantly. It's hard to tell if the ship is sinking or just afloat and abandoned. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. For me, the physical environment was unpleasant. The engineering floor is called the "fish bowl" because all the desks are in the middle of the floor surrounded by a perimeter of glass conference rooms. The benefits are the worst... I've ever had at a startup - no 401k matching and a poor medical plan. There's stock options, but nobody I know bought any. Leadership is probably the biggest problem. Both of the founders left the company. Make of that what you will. The current CEO is very nice, but a bit reminiscent of a used car salesman. Senior leadership has intelligent people, but they still can't seem to figure out how to manage people and organize teams properly. Although they are seemingly transparent, it often feels like lies and lip service. Expectations are all over the place, and you can't count on consistent support. Unfortunately, this negatively impacts everything else.

Advice to Management

Put your employees first, and stop trying to climb the ladder. Playing politics is incompatible with transparency and real connectedness. Figure things out fast, or get out of the way so someone else can fix the organization. Percolate can be an amazing company if you don't ruin it.

Percolate2019-07-25

July 31, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review. We certainly want all of our employees to enjoy working for Percolate, but also realize it may not be the environment for everyone and that's also ok. While happy to see all the pros you listed (which we're super proud of!), we would like to take the time to address the less than positive feedback because of how it impacted your time here. Firstly, we realize the office space you were in leaves a bit to be desired. We are in the process of procuring new space that we feel will be a breath of fresh air and very much what Percolate needs for our work environment (we're certainly pumped!). Our number one priority has always been our employees. So you all spoke up! We are listening. Benefits- We put a lot of work into designing our 2019 plans which are much better quality than in previous years and will continue to make improvements year over year. Benefits unfortunately cannot change over night because of how our healthcare system works, but we hope employees recognize the work that is going in to build out better plans for you and your families. 2020 is shaping up to be pretty great! Lastly, re: leadership. Our co-founders are both still Percolate's biggest supporters. They have moved on to tackle new and exciting adventures but still bleed Percolate Orange. That will never change. We are so proud of the work they did bringing Percolate to where we are today. We are also incredibly confident in our current leadership team and where they will lead us in the future. We encourage anyone who has concerns or lacks clarity on direction, purpose, mission, or simply has questions, please take the time to speak with members of our leadership team. They are always available and happy to chat!

2. "Percolate++"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked at Percolate for over 2 years now, across a few different teams and positions and I still see lots of potential here. The Marketing tech workspace is dynamic and competitive so there's never really a chance to get bored. It feels like we've grown to be a mature startup, with better alignment between teams and leadership, and a more clear understanding of how to build your career with Percolate.... We have an eclectic mix of technologies with a culture that's open to experimenting. We're always pushing to enhance the quality of our code and reduce friction in our development and deploy processes. Probably one of the most refreshing things here is the access to leadership and the many channels we have for expressing your concerns, asking questions, or challenging product direction - from being totally anonymous, group brain-storming sessions, communicating through your manager, or just having a quick chat over coffee.

Cons

- Finding the right balance between bug fixing, feature development, and improving code quality is tough and an on-going process -No 401K Match

Advice to Management

-Push to improve the feedback loop between those in the field working with customers and the product team. -Encourage more visibility between groups that typically don't see each other's work - like Engineers and Sales. -Higher more junior engineers and improve how we help them grow.

Percolate2019-05-07

July 31, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review, happy to hear you are enjoying working here! We certainly value transparency and open communication. Access to leadership is a critical component of that. We have also found new ways to tap into the feedback from our customers and use that feedback to help improve our product. Looking forward to a productive 2H!

""Great Concept, Poor Execution""

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice offices, Fun Parties, Free Snacks and lunches (once a week)

Cons

Tons of talk about money (not making our numbers) Politics, you can only go far here if you hitch your wagon to the right people. Low starting salary and laughably low yearly raise, no matter how well you perform. Management. Siloed work environment. Reluctance to actually fix processes that are broken.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing good people out the door by not paying them what they deserve. Take a good look at middle management- they need to go. Stop putting bandaids on things that need to actually be fixed. Stop talking about money

Percolate2019-06-03

June 7, 2019People Operations

We do have some fun parties, not going to argue with that! With regards to the rest of your review, we spend a lot of time and effort recognizing our employees and all the hard work they put in each and every day. Our number one investment is in our people, because without them, we wouldn't have a company. While we are not sure of your specific circumstances, a key takeaway from this review is that perhaps there was some miscommunication around expectations for your role. We are confident in our management's ability to lead, develop, and properly recognize/reward the hard work of people on their team. But if even one person feels we didn't do the best possible job there, it is an area of opportunity for us going forward. Good is not good enough in this situation. We want to be great! Thanks for your review.

"Engineering team LOVES installing new and useless processes constantly"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance. If you can put in 4-5 hours a day here you will be considered a top performer.

Cons

I apologize for not finding a way to sugar coat this because there are some very nice people in engineering here, but overall the engineering org is probably going to be the downfall of this company. The management in that group is in waaaaaaay over their heads which is the biggest problem, but somehow the other execs do not see this. Engineering management seems obsessed with putting in new processes all the time,... which ultimately leads to less time to, you know, fix bugs and deliver features. Does not seem like a recipe for success for a mid-stage startup.

Percolate2019-05-05

June 7, 2019People Operations

There's a lot to unpack here, but let me start with the pros. We are huge advocates of work/life balance and always will be. That's part of what makes working here so great! Our employees are people, first and foremost, so there needs to be healthy balance between work and one's personal life. Our CEO always talks about "family first" and we are proud to be a company that truly stands behind that statement. We also have some of the hardest working people around, which is certainly a plus! In terms of the engineering team, our recommendation is that you meet with some of the engineering leaders to learn more about what they are working on and why. We are a company of transparency and all of our leaders are more than willing to discuss what's working and what isn't. Join the office hours, ask to join a team meeting, speak with your peers in other departments! There are lots of ways to get more insight into all the hard work they are doing and what their priorities are. Thanks for your review!

"lack of discipline"

Former Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

learning all time and new skills

Cons

management has no systematic go to market road map or strategy

Advice to Management

become more open to new ideas

Percolate2019-04-06

May 6, 2019People Operations

Although we don't love to see less than glowing reviews (which company would?!), we actually wish you had given a bit more feedback around the cons so that we could properly address your concerns! Initial thoughts are that perhaps we needed to tighten up some of our communications around our go to market strategy or road map. If that's the case, what we can say is that we recently implemented some new tools and trainings specifically for sales enablement, which we believe had addressed this issue head on. Definitely a game changer!

"Not great"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

good people, welcoming office well located.

Cons

bad culture, leadership and management.

Advice to Management

focus on fostering internal growth and career paths for employees, or they will look for other opportunities.

Percolate2019-04-04

May 6, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review. We hear you on the career pathing and fostering an environment where our employees can continue to grow. It's incredibly important and we recognize that, which is why at the end of last year, we rolled out our company-wide career pathing database. This living, breathing database was put together with input from all our leaders across the business so that we could make sure it was done right! While I see that you are a former employee, I do hope your current employer takes career pathing just as seriously and if not, we encourage you to speak up! All employees deserve to have it and I'm happy to report that we can provide it!

"1,2-25 leave since 1/19-How many more will go?"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a few good people that work here. Good Dental and eye insurance

Cons

Key people have left-founder, Product, Sales Leaders, and Marketing leaders. - not good, more to come. Over half Sales team has left, more people in operations telling salespeople what to do and how to sell. New Management and leaders have never managed a team before- it's a disaster. Product direction is going in the wrong direction. More people ops than salespeople. No road map or strategy. Bad culture, bad... leadership, and bad management.

Advice to Management

Management is not realistic, especially the CEO. You should look around and at yourselves.

Percolate2019-04-23
  8. "What Percolate's Like"

I have been working at Percolate full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Extremely transparent company to work at with every aspect of communication; if you'd like to know something, simply ask -If you're looking to get into more activities culturally with a company they provide every opportunity to do so with associated clubs/wellness activities -Truly value their employees and their participation within company events -Direct Managers as well as executives provide autonomy to their... employees and encourage giving you the chance to enhance your career and learn -Excellent work/life balance

Cons

-No 401k match -Health benefits are not great

Percolate2019-03-11

April 4, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review! We work hard to create a positive culture for our employees and are thrilled that you have found it to be just that. We are also all about that transparency! If you work for us, we want to make sure you know what you are working for! It's incredibly important. We are also working hard to constantly improve our benefit offerings. We made some pretty significant changes to our benefits going into 2019 and will continue to incorporate as much of your suggestions as we can. Please don't hesitate to share your ideas!

9. "Mobilizing is the key"

I have been working at Percolate full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employees, great leadership, promising space

Cons

Crowded marketplace, difficult to differentiate, educate

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong focus and direction. Key is mobilizing the entire organization behind the category.

Percolate2019-03-09

April 4, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review! We couldn't agree more. It's hard to be in a crowded marketplace, but we are more confident than ever in our employees and in our product. 2019 is shaping up to be a great year. Onward!

"Massive Exits"

Former Employee - BDR in New York, NY

I worked at Percolate full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Lunch once a week Good coworkers to go to happy hour with Good Dental

Cons

You will work hard, and do the AE's job (setting meeting and doing all the work on the calls) and you will get passed over, never promoted Always talking about money and that we need more of it Better products in the market

Advice to Management

Stop talking about advancement -it's a dead end Stop having your favorites- We all see who does what! Wake up and treat your employees better

Percolate2019-04-03

April 4, 2019People Operations

Thanks for your review. Certainly tough to read, but we recognize not everyone's experience will be as positive as we hoped for. While we are not sure of your exact circumstances while working here, we do believe there are many things Percolate does to show how important and valuable our employees are to us, regardless of position. We are a culture that lifts each other up and celebrates wins across the business, both big and small. One of the things we are most proud of is how supportive all of our employees are of each other and how supported they feel by our current leadership team. We not only do daily shout outs to one another, but we also celebrate with monthly MVP awards, which are peer nominated. It's just one of many ways in which we try to show appreciation for how hard everyone is working. We also recently introduced extensive career pathing. Our hope is that through this level of transparency about your role and possible other opportunities at the company, employees will never feel "passed over" for a promotion. Rather, there will be an understanding of what next steps look like and how we can help you get there. We are committed to helping you be your best self and want to set all employees up to succeed. Thanks again for your feedback. It's important for us to hear and understand your experience so we can continue to improve!

Found 153 reviews