Shopify Reviews

Updated 11 Aug 2020

Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 62 reviews)

• "Lots of freedom to work on new ideas, in-house chefs and great benefits(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "There were no cons during my time there(in 20 reviews)

1. "Amazing benefits and good salary"

Former Employee - Remote Shopify Guru in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits, great starting salary, supportive work environment

Cons

High stress and pressure, you have to work weekends on a rotating basis

2. "Great company to work with"

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

A good working atmosphere, good culture, good working pace.

Cons

Haven't found major cons, Shopify is a great company to work with.

3. COVID-19

"Great company growth and culture"

Current Employee - Director, Customer Success in London, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

This is usually specific to teams, but Shopify is built on supporting their people. I can honestly say that Shopify is active in the fight against COVID and active in the support against anti-black racism. Culture is great, and people are fantastic.

Cons

As the company grows there can sometimes be blindspots as it concerns people, but it's something that the company acknowledges and is working on.

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Challenging, fun, exciting problems—able to work with some of the smartest people in the industry.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Incredible company!"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Definitely the best company I've ever worked in my career. People and products are incredible. Highly recommended.

Cons

Honestly, nothing to say negatively. Keep up the good work!

6. "Just like any big corporation now"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The problem area is really fulfilling - feels like the work you do actually makes a difference. - Get to work with a lot of great and smart people - There are many opportunities to grab if time permits - see a chance to work on something on the side, go for it.

Cons

- Increase in people needing to go on leave due to stress and being stretched too thin, while constantly worrying about performance. - There's a group of people/friends that keep getting career advancements, they just keep lifting each other up instead of making space for others. - Those in manager positions might be great crafters but don't know how to actually manage people - you end up putting your career in the hands of someone who doesn't know what to do with it. And yet they are in charge of evaluation how well you do. - Inconsistencies between different managers and areas on how they view growth and performance. - The Shopify "values" that we are so proud have now become untrue. They apply inconstantly and when it fits the company. Time to accept that this is like any other corporation that wants to squeeze as much out of people instead of the "we care" illusion that is portrayed. - White men in leadership roles that have nothing to lose feel privileged enough to do some tone policing, and when being called out, still feel its their right to do so.

7. "Great company, but won’t grow in craft"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong mission driven company, creating value for inspiring merchants.

Cons

Behind industry standard for discipline craft.

"Systematic Problems"

Former Employee - Customer Success Guru in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing Working from home offers flexibility The benefits package is impressive You'll learn more than you ever thought possible

Cons

Working from home can be isolating Being remote means you don't get paid as much as someone working in the office (and they don't keep up with cost of living - hope you like making the same salary for 5 years straight) When perks are given company-wide, Support is usually excluded, or given a watered-down version Perks don't pay the bills, but are included when they evaluate your compensation and tell you it's "on par with industry standard" Growth outside of Support is all but impossible. Success stories exist but are maybe 1% Chokehold on scheduling - good luck trying to take a vacation or even take a pee break when you need it Decision makers are far removed from the front line. The Shopify they talk about publicly doesn't exist. Major changes happen daily. Support lives in chaos. Huge decisions are made and then walked back within hours You're expected to keep track of changes but given no time to do so Management's perception of what the job is vs the reality of what it actually is differ appallingly No metrics for success, no consistency in evaluation. Raises based on "impact", but "impact" is undefined and raises are so rare that most people think assume don't exist. Leadership with minimal training, human resources issues abound and don't get handled appropriately Gaslighting happens everywhere - you'll be told there's no issue and everything is fine, even as you're struggling to stay afloat Senior/Executive management is 90 + % white and male. No interest in differing perspectives or changing status quo at the top. Support workers are expendable

Continue reading

"Good company"

Former Employee - Design Lead in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time

Pros

Top of its industry, good resume name

Cons

Slow pace of work, many layers of management

10. "Big yay"

Former Employee - Sales Ambassador in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love it! Great leadership fun culture

Cons

Can feel like a small fish in a big pond

Found 572 reviews