TPP Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

Updated 10 Mar 2020

3.8
TPP CEO  Frank Hester
Frank Hester
Pros
  • "The incredible sailing trips to the Caribbean and this year Croatia also (unsurprisingly(in 16 reviews)

• "There is a genuinely flat hierarchy, although more experienced people's opinions tend to be more respected than others(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "flat hierarchy’ they preach about is a joke(in 15 reviews)

• "No one really has a good grasp on projects as a whole, everything is rushed short-term jerk reactions to individual issues(in 11 reviews)

"Rewarding work"

I have been working at TPP full-time

Pros

Working on code that makes a real difference to people's lives is really rewarding. It's a big responsibility but you get loads of support from the people in your team. I've worked on quite a few different projects in my time here. Good to get variety of different technologies. Feel like I've learned loads. Love all the 'perks' like social stuff, fantastic salary, massive holiday entitlement, pool table, etc. but it really is the people here and the work that makes the biggest difference. So many of my friends don't enjoy their jobs as much as I do.

Cons

Can be stressful - just the nature of the work we do. End up thinking about work outside of work quite often.

TPP2020-03-10

"Beware of what you’re stepping into; there are some positives to working here but they’re outweighed by negative points"

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

-Your colleagues- although dwindling in number- will be very intelligent, committed, and generally speaking, reasonably nice. -High salary for little or no experience -Perks such as the sailing trip, the early finish on Friday -If you manage to avoid being fired, you can learn a lot of skills and improve your coding rapidly. However, there is no formal training for new starters- learning is done “on the job”, which means you’ll need to be prepared to make lots of mistakes and repeatedly interrupt more experienced colleagues to ensure what you’re doing is correct. -The company is committed to being agile and efficient in all processes, which is unsurprising given that most teams are stretched so thin. If something is not seen to be adding any value to the overall process, it can be very easy to get this changed quickly.

Cons

High Turnover: it can be highly demoralising to see so many talented colleagues either being fired or choosing to leave. A reasonable turnover of employees coming in and out is normal in any industry. However, at a company where everyone is on a permanent contract and an ongoing recruitment drive is being run to expand the business, the turnover rate is astonishing. On average, someone ‘leaves’ every 1.5- 2 weeks. During my time there, an entire floor was closed due to the drop in numbers- only a few small teams were left there so it made sense to bring them down to a busier floor. Lack of job security: it’s almost impossible to feel any sense of stability here, as you’re always disposable in the eyes of the management team. Many of my colleagues were fired and the company would not deign to provide them with any valid reason. Such behaviour is particularly reprehensible given that some of those on the end of the sudden firings are not UK nationals. After being fired, some of my foreign colleagues had to move quickly to find a new job in order to not outstay their visa, while also having to explain why they only managed to hold down a job for a couple of months. However, their callous firing rituals don’t just apply to the newer people- this can and did happen to many experienced employees. I’d feel very apprehensive about starting a family and having any financial dependents while working here, as there’s no stability whatsoever. CEO + Management of the company: much digital ink has been spilled on Glassdoor regarding the CEO’s use of racist, sexist and homophobic language. I would refer you to the many other reviews below, as I had very little exposure to the CEO so others will have articulated it better than I possibly could. TPP like to hire people with an affinity for problem solving or spotting patterns. Perhaps potential applicants may be able to spot a certain trend within the Glassdoor reviews- can that number of similar reports on the CEO’s behaviour all be wrong? In my experience anyway, the CEO did make many comments that were beyond the pale in company meetings and his mimicking of foreign people’s accents was shocking, unacceptable behaviour- especially from someone in a position of such power and responsibility. The management is also fond of envisaging TPP as a family. Some of the company’s practices, such as the free Friday pub tab, are a chance for the ‘family’ to get together, or in some senses, a way of providing an audience for the CEO’s monologues. It is often said that you can choose your friends but you can’t choose your family. Even though you can pick which company you work for, you may find yourself feeling a similar antipathy towards the company as you would to a frustrating relative, in whose existence you had no say. Undoubtedly, the TPP family, like all dysfunctional families, is replete with the dodgy uncle and racist grandparents ruining family get togethers.

TPP2020-02-28

"Great company that offers their employees a lot."

Former Employee - Clinical Systems Analyst

I worked at TPP full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was given responsibility at an early stage and given support whenever I needed it. I genuinely enjoyed working with everyone who were all very clever and approachable. TPP offers a great range of benefits and a competitive salary. The company has a lot of opportunities going forward and I am sure that they will continue to perform strongly over the coming years.

Cons

The company has a certain style of working that some people may not be accustomed to. It is very different from most companies so it takes some time getting used to, but it works well for a tech company because its more flexible, efficient, and makes it easy for people to work with each other.

TPP2020-01-20

"Great for personal and professional development"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When I started working at TPP I had no coding experience at all and now, over 8 years later, I have industry-leading skills and abilities which open loads of doors. It sounds trite, but my time at TPP really grew me as a person, which is something I'm immensely grateful for. The work that TPP does really makes a difference to patients and clinicians, something I've been lucky enough to see first hand, and during your time here you will almost certainly complete a piece of work which saves someone's life. There aren't many companies where you can say that, and it was all the motivation I ever needed to get out of bed in the morning. My colleagues were incredibly intelligent, personable and decent people who treated you like an adult. If you'd made a mistake then they would tell you simply, and to your face. Not in order to embarrass you, but so that everyone could collectively learn how we could avoid making the same mistake again. Mistakes were not buried, not talked about behind your back, and you were expected to deal with them in a mature and professional way. It's alluded to in many other reviews, but this is an environment which expects strong results. TPP is a company with huge ambition in a sector which demands constant precision and attention, so you won't get £45,000 as a starting salary for turning up and not putting in 100%. There's no real way to sugar coat this: if you want to avoid pressure in your job, then working on a global scale with patients' medical records, and therefore their health and safety, is not for you. Be realistic with yourself before you apply.

Cons

TPP have to support the NHS during its most active times, so the hours for the job are always going to be (roughly) 9-5, Monday to Friday. This was ultimately the reason I left the company, and give them 4 stars rather than 5, as there is currently no option for flexitime, home working or part time work. Again, assess whether this is a dealbreaker for you or not.

TPP2019-11-28

"Terrible Company. Fake 5* Reviews by HR"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Leeds, England

I worked at TPP full-time

Pros

Literally none. The good salary isn't good 'value' for what you have to put up with

Cons

Stress, Overtime, Abuse, Threats - they have it all. Work life balance is great provided you dont have a life. Amazingly they must have some Recruitment/HR person writing a 5* review every few days to try to get the ratings up - it just sums up how crooked this company is. Software engineers do not write sentences like that people, they get to the point - like this :) Life is too short to work for a company like this. Avoid!

TPP2019-11-14

"Interesting, challenging, enjoyable work, with great benefits"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Horsforth, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at TPP is an immensely enjoyable, rewarding experience. Everyone is extremely bright and hard-working and there's a great collaborative feel with the flat hierarchy and the fact that there's always someone willing to stop what they're doing and help you out, regardless of how long you (or they) have worked at the company. The work we do has a tremendous positive impact on healthcare and provides a constant stream of interesting and complex (but never overwhelming) challenges. The benefits (birthday meals, company-wide trips, pub tabs etc) are great and the pay is very competitive (especially for the region).

Cons

Occasional out of hours work - due to the nature of the business (real-time electronic healthcare records and decision support for thousands of clinicians and millions of patients) you can't guarantee that you'll be going home on time every day or that your evenings/weekends will go completely uninterrupted. I've still given five stars for work/life balance because the interruptions are genuinely rare and well-compensated, but for some people it could be a deal-breaker.

TPP2019-10-06

"Highly Rewarding Work with Amazing Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I absolutely love my colleagues and I find the work I do incredibly interesting and varied. I get great satisfaction from knowing that as a company we are driving positive change in the healthcare industry. There are fantastic international opportunities and the career progression is excellent.

Cons

There are elements of the culture that some people wouldn't enjoy (e.g. being direct, shouting up to a full room of people). Because of this, I've seen a high staff turnover so some of my friends have left over the last few years.

TPP2019-10-04

"Rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Deployment Specialist in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work is extremely varied and the job role has changed massively over the 10 years I have been here. Everyone is bright and like-minded which makes for a nice working atmosphere. A lot is expected of you but you are rewarded for your hard work. The days are busy and the work can be challenging but the pay is excellent, we get fantastic holiday entitlement (a whopping 8 weeks plus bank holidays) and there are lots of perks; fresh fruit, yoga, pub Fridays, sailing/skiing trips to name just a few.

Cons

As there is so much variety, sometimes it can be difficult to manage your workload. The flip side of this is that everyone is very willing to help each other.

TPP2019-09-23

"Genuinely interesting and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Every day is different and brings up new, interesting problems to get stuck into. - You can get help with what you're working on at any time, there's a culture of working together to solve problems. - Great perks including plenty of holiday, great pay, a tab at the pub, plenty of social events and free fruit and snacks. - You're contributing to something that genuinely improves healthcare both in the UK and abroad. - You're encouraged to give your opinion and make your voice heard.

Cons

- When problems arise it can feel quite pressured, but this doesn't happen all the time and the pressure is on the team rather than an individual.

TPP2019-09-18

"Enjoyable and interesting"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TPP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My favourite things about working at TPP are that the work is enjoyable and interesting and my colleagues are great. There is always something new to learn. It’s great to have a job where there is so much variety and the opportunity to get involved in different things. The work is so engaging that the days seem to fly by. The staff are all so involved and helpful; willing to share their knowledge and help you grow and improve. I really enjoy the culture and the atmosphere. I have met some really amazing people at TPP. I still can’t believe how good some of the benefits are. The salary and holiday entitlement are great. The annual sailing trips, regular events and parties and the birthday meals are amongst some of my favourite benefits. I’m really thankful that this job has given me the opportunity to experience so many nice things and visit some great places and I look forward to more great experiences in the future.

Cons

I really don’t have many cons. The job can be quite stressful at times but so can most jobs where the work is demanding.

TPP2019-09-20