Tableau Software Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.7
Tableau Software CEO Adam Selipsky
Adam Selipsky
Cons
  1. "Awesome Product, great Customer Experience"

Sales Consultant in Mumbai

I have been working at Tableau Software

Pros

1. Product is good and upgraded to keep customer requirements first 2. Colleagues are good and helpful 3. Company has a very good connect built across Dev and consulting teams

Cons

1. India Team is very small hence growth options within India limited 2. Only Sales and Presales support in India. All other support functions are provided through centralised international teams 3. Tableau does not have a dedicated focus for India Customers

Tableau Software2016-12-23
  2. "Great place to work - sometimes hard to get things done."

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Great culture of respecting and valuing people Compensation very competitive

Cons

People aren't willing to push others, which sometimes causes delays in deliverables.

Tableau Software2019-10-03

"GREAT place to work, just pay us more"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome, smart people Great physical offices FOOD. Fully stocked kitchen to cook, snacks galore, catered food all over Great healthcare Ability to speak up and ask for projects I want to work on Great product Big time customers

Cons

Pay. For reals, pay us more. It's so simple. I want to stay at Tableau forever, but it is hard to convince myself to do that when I could go to Amazon 10 mins away and make double. As costs in Seattle rise, eventually the financial need for more pay will outweigh my desire to work for a really cool company. Hoping that Salesforce will come in and raise our pay to something similar to their own high levels.

Tableau Software2019-09-19
  4. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I feel like I hit the recruiting jackpot with this company. Great product, culture and recruiting environment.

Cons

Since the company grew so fast so quickly, we experienced many growing pains along the way.

Tableau Software2019-09-27
  5. "Second class citizen"

Former Employee - Senior Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

My direct coworkers were some of the best I have ever worked with. The sort of folks you would never mind sharing a drink with after work or when you just need a shoulder to cry on. The healthcare and kitchen snacks were also some of the best I have had.

Cons

Support was often treated as second class citizens. Any time there were company events support was left out. Management also is very disconnected to the needs of the business and the department. Requests, changes, and suggestions were always listened to however were often thrown out. Understaffed so more then often you had 2-3x the workload then what was of the typical employee. Compensation (take home) was also... much lower then the Austin average. Often when bad news was brought up rather then facing the issues head on management would turn a blind eye or leave the office in order to avoid any questions or backlash.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff fairly and in accordance to the company core values. Work as a team and be honest. If something is said, written down, or promised then follow through. Quit looking out for ones own self and properly represent and manage the team.

Tableau Software2019-10-03

"Get back to the core values; remember your employees are people too"

Former Employee - Order Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tableau Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Getting your foot in the door, good insurance, good peers, great learning opportunity, enjoyed the work. I am hopeful for the SFDC buy out and what effect that will have on Tableau; I hope for the better.

Cons

The Order Management department is in need of some serious attention, and not because the employees are doing anything wrong. The moral is low, it ebbs and flows, but it's more often than naught, very low. And the problems are as laid out as below.

Advice to Management

At first it was exciting to work for this revolutionary company, my foot in the door, and almost naive at how I thought the next 2 years would go. The culture was great; they pour a mean koolaid, and you want to drink it all. Kitchens stocked with food, snacks every which way you could turn. Happy hours with your team, company parties, BBQs, etc. There were a few jaded people, but you figure every job has... them right? Tableau touts about how important customers are, how important their experiences are (all about that customer delight), and you applaud it. The work-life balance seems great. You might even get to go home early on really slow days. Insurance is fantastic with dental and vision (unsure of how that will be after the SFDC takeover), company perks, amenities, 401k, etc. But again, that may all change. The work is great. You get to help the company, work with multiple departments, meet a ton of different people, solve problems, grow, learn, teach, etc. I've actually never loved doing a job more. Helping people, making people laugh, etc, and the awesome product we sell is amazing, and I am truly thankful for the experience. But then something changes. It gets busier and busier, management structure changes, and you go from taking your regular lunch for an hour, to taking a half hour, to sometimes just eating at your desk. You are asked to work overtime, which is fine at first, as an hourly employee, you get that time and a half, but by the 6th month of being "given the green-light" to work overtime again, you are sick of it. You start to realise that your work-life balance is more of a live to work situation and you do what you can. We were basically approved to work OT every week that year, and a lot of people did. As a lower level, support employee, you will be paid 10% less than industry standard, potentially even less depending on the department. The only metric you are measured by in the department I was located in was case count. How many cases can you get closed in a day? Every case being treated pretty much the same, despite attempts to make it appear differently. Quantity, not quality. Don't get me wrong, I do understand the value, the importance of being a publicly traded, international company, and needing to make sure you keep your numbers up, but there has to be something else to give feedback to people about besides that. How are the cases being handled? Are they reopening? What are the other departments feedback on their interdepartmental communication? There is a lot of micromanagement happening, but it's over the strangest things, like when you can take your breaks, what cases you are allowed to work on, a certain level of tomfoolery not allowed, etc. Most of it is from higher up, which makes it even more strange, and some of the strategies employed to "help" a perceived problem makes little to no sense. Favoritism happens, and if you aren't good at being a part of the status quo, be prepared to have a hard time. You will do much better to smile, nod, keep your head down, and make sure to do the easiest things, as that seems to be what works for a lot of people who get praise from higher ups. Gossip will happen, people will ignore you, and sometimes it feels like high school, which is what happens when you create a really toxic work environment with a lot of really unhappy people. There is a lot more to be said. I highly recommend a department evaluation, starting from the top down. Some of those people don't care anymore; I did and was not given an exit interview, but you can still try to get some honest answers from them about the department and what, or whom the problem is extending from. I wanted to actually try and discuss the issues with the VP of operations before I left, so that it wouldn't be in vain, however was not given time to ask for this. This is the closest thing I will have to an exit interview. Pizza isn't a raise, beer isn't a help, leaving on time shouldn't be a privilege,

Tableau Software2019-09-19

"If you are perfect Tableau is great. If you are looking to develop yourself this is not the place to look."

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in London, England

I worked at Tableau Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent training programme which starts in Seattle HQ training you in Tableau's products and sales messages. It's hard not to be motivated in the company's ambitions. Some of the nicest colleagues that I've come across anywhere.

Cons

The services organisation in EMEA does not take the opportunity to provide role based training and development to new team members. If you cannot already fully fulfil on the job you will quickly be shown the door. It was evident that Regional Delivery Manages are not adding any value. Rather than doing this they could be seen creating or seeking problems to justify their existence especially with the pending... Salesforce merger. Training for the Tableau Product is great but role based training is absent. This is evident across all levels of management. The current role based training that exists is reading an on boarding guide. The organisation does not have time to provide mentoring as discussed in these documents.

Advice to Management

Recommend Salesforce flatten the organisational structure and further managers' training. Regional Delivery Managers in EMEA would benefit from choosing to focus on developing and motivating their teams alongside adding value to the organisation. Senior Directors in Global Services would benefit from delivering role based training to new starters and existing team members. Developing a culture of open and honest... feedback with coaching to support team members in areas where performance is not ideal would be perfect.

Tableau Software2019-09-21

"Do not recommend the LATAM team to anyone"

Current Employee - Account Manager Latin America in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time

Pros

Tableau is a great software. People love our product. Tableau's bootcamp is great, our SKO and yearly conference are very well planned and executed.

Cons

I've been working for a few months on the LATAM team here at Tableau, and I regret having made the decision to join this team. Managers, Directors and VP's should be people that truly care about your career success and make you feel empowered. Unfortunately, they are individuals that joined the company at an early stage and got promote into management which is a usual mistake companies make. Their idea of... management is super old school. They lead based on fear, they don't allow you to have a work life balance, and they simply don't bring anything positive to the table. Most partners have warned me to never bring my superiors to any onsite client meetings. For people looking to join a LATAM team, I would advise you not to look at Tableau as a possible employer. Lastly, their compensation package is very bad in comparison to other tech companies.

Advice to Management

I would advise SFDC to look into this situation. According to the Bureau of Labor, employees are now quitting their jobs at the highest rate in a decade across all industries. PWC estimates that costs can reach up to 40% of a firm’s earnings - with sales turnover estimated at up to 5x the person’s salary.

Tableau Software2019-09-12

"Fond memories"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Tableau Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people still work there. Technology is still very good and the Chief Product Officer is amazing.

Cons

The no a-hole policy went out the window when Christian left. Outside management hires have put an ugly stain on the culture.

Advice to Management

Honor what you inherited with integrity. "Your way or the highway" is not leadership. When you gossip about your team they all know about it and cannot trust you. Leave your ego at the door.

Tableau Software2019-09-06

"Good Product and Company LATAM leadership is horrible"

Current Employee - Territory Manager Latin America in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tableau Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Product and perks Good team and culture Great Co Workers Good health Plan

Cons

Low pay compared to similar companies Favoritism LATAM Leadership is horrible 5 people have left in the past 6 months, the rest like myself are applying at other companies right now. Latam d leadership has no idea what he is doing should not be leading a team, the most competent and most senior people left because of this.

Advice to Management

Get new Management, all they do is micromanage and not help at all. Director was just in the right place right time, he would not be hired for an entry level job today because of his incompetence.

Tableau Software2019-08-27