Top Hat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

4.0
Top Hat Founder & CEO Mike Silagadze
Mike Silagadze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free lunch and trips to Toronto (in 27 reviews)

• Catered lunch every day (very good) amazing coffee machine (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it feels like the company is growing faster than it can cope with and reacts to a lot of situations rather than pre-planning for them (in 14 reviews)

• Not a 9-5 job but the more you put in the more you will get out (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Perks"

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

- Amazing perks
    - great people
    - great location

Cons

- repetitive sales cycles
    - high quotas

"Incredible place to be, especially for a web developer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering department is still small enough to know the names of everyone.

The department has a big sense of community.

Developers are smart and very talented. Everyone is always open to sharing ideas and knowledge to improve overall performance.

Extremely easy to start small initiatives to improve the product which can eventually lead to it's own team.

Striving to use the best technology to fit the solution. Certain initiative teams are able to move quickly enough to keep up to date on latest tech and best practices.

Social events are a weekly occurrence.

Free lunch is provided and there is always enough for everyone. Can get a cold breakfast as well (cereal or oatmeal) and fruits.

Located in between three different TTC stations (Museum, St. George, Bay)

Cons

Company is growing and there is that potential to become corporate rather than start up environment. It hasn't affected engineering, or other departments yet.

A lot of focus on web stack. Making the app mobile friendly sometimes seems secondary.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job. The directors and the VP are all down to earth and open to chat about ideas or initiatives. Keep up the positive attitude and the strong leadership. It's taken this department and the company long way.

"Great people, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunities, but you have to work hard to make the most of them
    - Really exciting business/product with in an enormous market
    - Great benefits, lots of smart people to work with

Cons

- Very sales-driven organization, which sometimes comes back to product/engineering in the form of interruptive feature requests
    - Too many ongoing projects so everyone is spread thin and roadmaps constantly change

Advice to Management

Take bigger risks, focus more resources on fewer projects

4. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The size of Top Hat is still at that sweet spot where you don't feel like you're working for a tiny startup that may not be around and you're also not working for a soul-less corporation.
    * People are generally happy to give you responsibility for stuff if you show the inclination. I was promoted from a senior engineer to a team lead pretty rapidly after I joined. The feel I get is that the company is happy to grow you into taking on more responsibility.
    * People here are pretty smart and fun to work with.
    * There are daily board-games during lunch and people are very welcoming.
    * Top Hat tries new technologies pretty rapidly. They're trying out multiple products in production that are relatively new in the market. They're going serverless first as well (AWS Lambas everywhere).

Cons

* Top Hat still has work to do on the openness front. They've made a lot of progress in the last year and as a dev you feel like you know what's going on with the other teams and with the rest of the company, but there's still more to be done.
    * Top Hat needs to get more aggressive with retiring unused features. It's generally not worth maintaining features that only a very small percentage (>1%) of your user-base cares for.

Advice to Management

I explained these in the cons section.

"Great Company for Early Career Growth and Beyond"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good results are well recognized.
    Lots of opportunities to choose how I want to grow my career.
    Great benefits.
    Management is willing to change and is consistently looking for feedback.

Cons

Separate Engineering and Sales cultures that don't mix very often.
    Formal performance reviews could be more often.

Advice to Management

There are positive changes underway and you should keep that up.
    Continue to integrate the departments more.

6. "Amazing opportunities and perks"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top Hat is a company that values drive and ambition. Hard work pays off here with quick upward movement into leadership roles for those who show interest. Employee recognition is plentiful, especially for those who are top performers in sales, including individual incentives as well as amazing team vacations. Company and team culture make it fun to come into the office every day!

Cons

Be prepared to work hard. This is not a company where you can coast.

7. "Amazing technical challenges, people and, culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The tech stack at Top Hat is incredible. Whether on the web or the mobile platforms, the latest and best frameworks are used. The work is challenging in a way that accelerates professional growth. The management team is amazing as well, concerned with everything from long term feature planning to individual development.

The people here are amongst the most brilliant and friendly colleagues I've ever known. It's an honour to work beside them and to learn from them. They don't hesitate to help you out when you're blocked or not sure what to do. They encourage you to go slightly beyond your comfort zone such that you realize that it is actually not as small as you thought.

The culture is a filled with fun. This can be anything from company wide socials to team outings and coffee breaks. It's a catered food culture. It's a board game culture. It's a foosball culture. It's friends culture.

Cons

It can be quite busy and sometimes the roadmap jumps a bit more than you'd like. And although there are social events, depending on your team, outings can be sparse.

"Great to place to learn and grow!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- the people are amazing, I enjoy going to work everyday and genuinely want to be here
    - always opportunities for growth and success, you can move up here quickly if you prove yourself (not the case in other places where you work really hard but don't move up or reap in any rewards)
    - GREAT office location, DELICIOUS breakfast/lunch offered, FUN and HARDWORKING people, it's a work hard play hard environment,
    - I'm never afraid to speak to more senior reps, managers, executives, etc. Opinions are valued

Cons

- there needed to be some changes within management and the structure of the sales floor to ensure transparency and success for reps. these changes have been made/ are still being made. It is definitely IMPROVING and you can already see the positive impact it has had on the flood
    -I tend to forget about my friends outside of work because I'm enjoying the time spent with my colleagues, we try to have team outings after work and that can interfere with personal plans, but this is just a me problem

Advice to Management

Keep working hard on improving and crushing goals! You're already doing a fantastic job and I've seen the difference in the year I've been here.

"TRAIN WRECK - STEER CLEAR"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing work related. only free food.

Cons

Terrible micromanagement (ex: you don't sell - only read from a script. A job for robots.
     Managers give you a list an say "call these people" - you lose all personal control here)

Horrific direction and no career advancement (turn around is upwards of 30% )

Awful morale (when more than 10 people quit each month, it takes it's toll. The CPO and SVP of Sales just left... what does that tell you?)

Overall lack of organization and strategic focus (the sales approach is DIAL DIAL instead of actually taking a look at how to achieve goals based on the landscape within your accounts)

Advice to Management

Quit while you're ahead.

10. "The future is BRIGHT!"

Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

Smartest group of people I have had the pleasure to work with
    Fun environment, lunch and snacks provided and lots of social activities
    A product that will change the face of higher education, How many places are there to work where you you can feel good about the difference you are making for students and professors.
    Lots of new product changes and additions that will make us the dominant platform for higher education.
    Lots of positive changes happening in sales, more collaboration, coaching and development and improvements in hoe goals are set and commission plan.
    Amazing incentives!!! Just returned from a recognition trip at Mount Tremblant for hitting my Winter quota!!

Cons

Lots of change, but also lots of opportunities to get involved
    Work hard play hard environment, you need to be driven and a high achiever to do well here

Advice to Management

Continue listening to feedback
    Keep coming up with great incentives to motivate us
    There have been a lot of positive changes made in the last year, keep up the great work!