Top Hat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.7
Top Hat Founder & CEO Mike Silagadze
Mike Silagadze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "free lunch and trips to Toronto" (in 27 reviews)

• "Catered lunch every day (very good) amazing coffee machine" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "At times it feels like the company is growing faster than it can cope with and reacts to a lot of situations rather than pre-planning for them" (in 14 reviews)

• "Not a 9-5 job but the more you put in the more you will get out" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Start Up Life - Great Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-great place to gain some great experience and progress quickly
    -working for one of the top start ups comes with great values to move forward with
    -constantly growing and improving
    -face paced environment
    -culture is by far the best I have seen, some of the best people to work with
    -great OTE if succesful and on target (quota attainment)
    -expanding all sales roles to encompass a longer and more complicated sales cycle with all product lines which creates a diverse and challenging position.

Cons

-as a startup, there is always lots of change and many procedures constantly evolving, must adapt
    -sometimes there are mistakes made overall that negatively affect sales but from what I have seen (couple years tenure) they always develop a solution to remedy the issues
    -as a consequence of a fast-paced and growing company, quotas can be large but are very fair to ramping (new) reps. Growth and success can be found easily throughout your tenure.
    -day to day the sales cycle can be repetitive/transactional, there is a very polished and structured framework that has been developed that is successful but at times can be tiresome. (plan in place to develop this issue)
    -exec team can be very numbers based rather than development orientated

Advice to Management

Remember as we grow and during the mission to IPO don't forget about being fair and realistic to the sales team. As a faced paced startup we have aggressive targets to hit but keep in mind how things are formulated and expected your sales reps - keeping us motivated via fair commission structures and quotas will only create more success especially since we are all financially motivated.

Keep on always re-evaluating structure and process for the sales team, the execs have always been very adept at reacting to issues and problems and solving them (for the better) each campaign. Try to be proactive during campaigns rather than reactionary - this could solve a lot of issues.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food for lunch, cool events but not enough events - I believe we only had one per month company paid

Cons

Robotic job tasks of cold calling, lying to potential customers (professors) on the phone letting them know it’ll only take 20 minutes for the demo, but it really took 45-an hour, minimal pay for hours put in, terrible pay structure to charge students to pay for the system as opposed to the school, handing over overworked accounts, allowing a Canadian account manager that knows nothing about my alma mater to manage my school rather than putting me on the account as I still keep in touch with many of my professors - makes great sense doesn’t it

Advice to Management

My manager walked into the position and never experienced the account manager role prior to managing us. How can you be a successful manager in this case? Figure out a different selling strategy rather than training us to be robots and work overtime without pay. Happy employees will do better and work harder for their manager rather than overworked and underpaid employees

"Lots of Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free lunch everyday!
    -Drinks on Friday!
    -Some people (small number) are very nice and welcoming

Cons

-Cliquey employees and not very welcoming
    -Ridiculous overtime is required just to ensure you complete all of your work (unpaid). Emails are sent on WEEKENDS that you are expected to answer or at least acknowledge.
    -Very young team members, team leads and MGMT.
    -To be honest the only reason I think people accept the low pay/crazy hours combination is because they are very young and don't know how most reputable companies work.
    -Blackout periods where you cannot take vacation/day off which last for months at a time.

Advice to Management

Need to do a better job at ensuring your staff are valued and have a good work/life balance. No overtime should be EXPECTED and then be unpaid.
    Also, if there will be sales targets for roles that are not within sales, you should be very transparent within the recruitment process.

"If you have any sales experience go somewhere else"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get your feet wet in sales, decent sales training program. NOTE: If you have any legit sales experience go find work elsewhere. Hardcore micromanagement built into the core of this organization

Great benefits but not worth the hit to your career in the long term

Cons

A complete mess internally. Lack of strategic thinking and completely reactive at all times. Mike Sila (the CEO) micromanages the entire company and each department, and that toxic culture is pervasive throughout the organization.

Nearly every senior sales rep left as of Q1 2018

Advice to Management

Get rid of Silagadze get a new CEO who knows how to properly scale the business

5. "Run as fast as you can."

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Honestly the only pro here is the free(ish) food and beer on fridays. The ping pong table is a cool stress reliever as well
    - people were very nice and helpful
    - company is still very agile with strategy
    - still a very good product and has a very worthy mission

Cons

- very vey reparative. You are expected to work on territories that have been overworked by 2 other reps in the same year! Not to mention those same reps have used the same scripts on the same prospects
    - cold call, cold call, cold call!
    - you will be expected to work unpaid overtime. One of the most crucial (and time consuming) aspects of prospecting is expected to be done after work ours.
    - commission structure is very poor, make sure you expect to take home base (or close to base) every month for the first year
    - very robotic tasks, expected to do over 100 cold calls a day using the same script
    - managers love to micromanage and zero room for autonomy. Micromanagement stems from the CEO all the way down.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to grow! You are now hiring more talented and experiences people who have worked for bigger and more successful corporations. Take some of their skill sets and advice before trying to place them into Sales U and then them into a robot. You have an amazing mission with some great people in the company, just start listening to them and that will help employee moral and hopeful show some more positive growth!

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

Free Food (you kindof pay), Decent Benefits, some people make really good money but 5%

Cons

- EVERYTHING
    - MGMT is clueless and very new
    - PEOPLE LEAVE EVERYDAY , SOME JUST WALK OUT
    - All good execs left
    - Major issue with retaining, 30% is considered a goal on their end
    - TERRITORY for sales people is based on favourites
    - Daily requirements are horrendous
    - Day to Day is awful
    - Bunch of smoke
    - They are desperate...

Advice to Management

- it's too far gone at this point

"Incredible place to be, especially for a web developer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering department is still small enough to know the names of everyone.

The department has a big sense of community.

Developers are smart and very talented. Everyone is always open to sharing ideas and knowledge to improve overall performance.

Extremely easy to start small initiatives to improve the product which can eventually lead to it's own team.

Striving to use the best technology to fit the solution. Certain initiative teams are able to move quickly enough to keep up to date on latest tech and best practices.

Social events are a weekly occurrence.

Free lunch is provided and there is always enough for everyone. Can get a cold breakfast as well (cereal or oatmeal) and fruits.

Located in between three different TTC stations (Museum, St. George, Bay)

Cons

Company is growing and there is that potential to become corporate rather than start up environment. It hasn't affected engineering, or other departments yet.

A lot of focus on web stack. Making the app mobile friendly sometimes seems secondary.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job. The directors and the VP are all down to earth and open to chat about ideas or initiatives. Keep up the positive attitude and the strong leadership. It's taken this department and the company long way.

"Great people, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunities, but you have to work hard to make the most of them
    - Really exciting business/product with in an enormous market
    - Great benefits, lots of smart people to work with

Cons

- Very sales-driven organization, which sometimes comes back to product/engineering in the form of interruptive feature requests
    - Too many ongoing projects so everyone is spread thin and roadmaps constantly change

Advice to Management

Take bigger risks, focus more resources on fewer projects

9. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* The size of Top Hat is still at that sweet spot where you don't feel like you're working for a tiny startup that may not be around and you're also not working for a soul-less corporation.
    * People are generally happy to give you responsibility for stuff if you show the inclination. I was promoted from a senior engineer to a team lead pretty rapidly after I joined. The feel I get is that the company is happy to grow you into taking on more responsibility.
    * People here are pretty smart and fun to work with.
    * There are daily board-games during lunch and people are very welcoming.
    * Top Hat tries new technologies pretty rapidly. They're trying out multiple products in production that are relatively new in the market. They're going serverless first as well (AWS Lambas everywhere).

Cons

* Top Hat still has work to do on the openness front. They've made a lot of progress in the last year and as a dev you feel like you know what's going on with the other teams and with the rest of the company, but there's still more to be done.
    * Top Hat needs to get more aggressive with retiring unused features. It's generally not worth maintaining features that only a very small percentage (>1%) of your user-base cares for.

Advice to Management

I explained these in the cons section.

"Great Company for Early Career Growth and Beyond"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good results are well recognized.
    Lots of opportunities to choose how I want to grow my career.
    Great benefits.
    Management is willing to change and is consistently looking for feedback.

Cons

Separate Engineering and Sales cultures that don't mix very often.
    Formal performance reviews could be more often.

Advice to Management

There are positive changes underway and you should keep that up.
    Continue to integrate the departments more.