Top Hat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.7
Top Hat Founder & CEO Mike Silagadze
Mike Silagadze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free lunch and trips to Toronto (in 23 reviews)

• Catered lunch every day (very good) amazing coffee machine (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • At times it feels like the company is growing faster than it can cope with and reacts to a lot of situations rather than pre-planning for them (in 12 reviews)

• Definitely not a 9-5 job, can be disorganized at times (in 7 reviews)

1. "Sales at Top Hat"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The people make the company and the culture here. It is a fun and social place to come to work.
    -There are constantly promotional opportunities for top performers and a clearly defined career path
    -The product is the best that is on the market and professors get excited about it
    -Office location and space is amazing

Cons

-Due to the fast-paced nature of the company, some decisions are made reactively instead of proactively

Advice to Management

-Continue to invest in your employees to keep employees engaged

15 Jan 2018

Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback. Glad to see that you are enjoying the culture!

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great opportunity to learn and earn promotions
    - Great earning potential
    - Be part of a fast growing tech company
    - Free lunches
    - Lots of team outtings

Be ready to work hard and you'll be rewarded.

Cons

Nothing stands out. Great place to work.

15 Jan 2018

Happy to have you as a part of the company as well!

3. "Sales"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of young, driven and strong individuals under one roof.
    Very Fun Environment that encourages forward momentum.
    Disrupting the education industry every day for the better.

Cons

Sometimes a distracting environment but keeps it fun

Advice to Management

Lay out individual progression and career paths for staff.

15 Jan 2018

Thanks for your review and feedback! We are happy to hear you are excited about the direction of the company.

"Mismanagement on another level - Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free lunch
    - Hard working and great co-workers who share similar goals as you

Cons

- Limited internal upward mobility
    - Young and unexperienced management (many time unprofessional)
    - Terrible reputation in HigherEd community (professors many times refuse to speak to us when, "Top Hat" is mentioned over the phone. Hundred of spam emails are sent, only furthering the decline of Top Hat's reputation and increasing the negative stigma that Top Hat has incredibly outrageous aggressive sales techniques.
    - Massive Cold Calling centre. You will be at your desk, 100% of the time you are working. The only time you will not be is when you sneak away to grab a coffee because you're overwhelmed with the hang-ups and flaky professors or because you're frustrated with the unreasonable expectations.
    - No regard for human life. For as much as they promote, "culture", they have no issue firing people on the spot for "poor culture fits" or putting people they don't like on "PIP: Performance Improvement Plan" as a way of trying to get rid of you.
    - Every lunch is typically one big trash talk session of the company since everyone is frustrated and no managers want to listen. If you do happen to speak your mind, congratulations, you've now become a "poor culture fit", start looking for another job :)
    - No transparency on commission structure. OTE's are mentioned when they recruit you for hire, that is it. Once you actually start the job you realize that 95% of the people in that role are NOT hitting their OTE by a significant margin. Basically, you'll be living off your base.
    - Poor Higher Ed outlook: Most of what Top Hat is trying to do will be replaced by free materials within the next 5 years and crushed by major players like McGraw, Cengage, Pearson. Bad industry outlook in general.

Advice to Management

- Find new management
    -Address the legitimate concerns of your employees
    -Create new sales processes because professors are starting to refuse to speak with us. See: "aggressive top hat monocle marketing" in google search.

15 Jan 2018

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback. As we look for ways to improve and disrupt the challenging education space, we will certainly take your words into consideration for the future. We... More

"Terrible for transparency & Communication"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team atmosphere & outings. It is easy to get close to everyone which makes the terrible job bearable. It is actually the only reason I stay

Cons

The management is young and inexperienced.
    Sales quotas change, the content team as a whole isn't reaching quota.
    Huge lack of transparency into what is actually going on
    They always push for internal referrals but rarely hire them
    Lower managers are left in the dark which leaves teams in the dark
    The goal is to have a low turnover, however, their turnover is currently 17%
    Sales staff are given PIP (performance improvement) with no intention of actually helping them improve
    They push in the interview process that people are always there to help, however, I know many salespeople that have asked and not received help.
    I would join for sales experience if you have none and leave ASAP. Engineering and operations are fairly good.

Advice to Management

Communicate more, stop hiding things that do not need to be hidden. Hire more experienced managers. Boost your weakest links, don't put them down.

15 Jan 2018

Thank you for your post, we appreciate this feedback and are listening. We are sorry to read that things aren’t going as expected but we are happy to hear you enjoyed spending time with your... More

7. "Hard-working people, great office culture"

Current Employee - Educational Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Educational Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Young, intelligent, highly driven individuals
    - Fast-growing business
    - Amazing office space and office location
    - Catered lunches
    - Employee culture

Cons

- You will be working a lot of late nights at the office

8. "Amazing workplace!"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

- Very intelligent, hard-working, friendly, and helpful colleagues
    - Interesting and challenging work
    - Supportive leadership: Gives useful feedback; solicits and values employee input; coaches staff effectively on new tasks; pleasant to work with
    - Fun work environment
    - Free breakfast and lunch everyday!

Cons

- The company is still in its growth stage so compensation tends to be slightly lower than the bigger establishments.

Advice to Management

Keep up with doing the great work and be consistently rigorous with only hiring the best people for every position.

15 Jan 2018

Thanks for your review, we happy to see you are enjoying yourself! We appreciate your feedback.

"Account Director"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and friendly people, lots of available extra curriculars.

Cons

If you are going to work in sales, the model is straight out of 1987. It's straight cold calling, and inbound leads are not seen as valuable as the marketing department is quite weak.

You essentially MUST read out of a script and make 100 calls per day. That, alongside about 3 demos is your every day. It gets very tedious and monotomous.

All the managers have very different styles, and they really dont take into account your personality with your manager's style.

Advice to Management

Your turn over is high in sales because there's little room for creativity. Your current system does make sales, but it isn't sustainable into the future. You should be providing BDR's with some kind of MQL, invest more in your content strategy, and get more creative on how to get in front of professors instead of dialling for dollars.

Everyone spends time online, you just haven't taken the time to figure out where they do.

You need to invest more into your marketing and PR. Having a 50 person sales team and 5 person marketing team just doesn't make sense.

15 Jan 2018

Thanks for providing this review - this kind of feedback helps us to continually improve. As Top Hat grows and scales so do our processes. We are sorry Top Hat wasn’t the right place for you and I... More

10. "Rare and exciting environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Denver office (and company as a whole) provides a really amazing opportunity to learn and grow your own skill sets. What I like most about the Denver office is that we're a diamond in the rough amongst other startups in the area. While being thrown into a young 8-12 person company might be attractive, Top Hat provides something one step further.

Our office provides the small team vibe and mentality that others can provide, but we top it off with structure and knowledge that others might not be able to provide yet! At any given time in any role, you will be faced with many different challenges. One of many things that stand out to me about Top Hat is our support for one another.

We have AMAZING managers who have answers and solutions to not only help you in your role but to lay the groundwork to get you where you want to be in the long term regarding your career goals.

Cons

The atmosphere at a high paced and rapidly growing company can be a lot to handle at times. Lucky, we're not approaching hiring like others might be. We're not necessarily looking for a "startup veteran" who has been in the game while! Top Hat is a great place to grow. If you see a posting that speaks to your skillset but challenges you at the same time, this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your teams and make the Denver office and overall company a better place to be every day!

"Loved it there!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Top Hat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at Top Hat. Happily didn't have a single negative social experience. My peers were all super smart, fun and friendly.

The engineering management was very pleasant. Interactions were personal, and I always felt like I was being invested in.

Great project managers + designers made my life as a developer really easy and straightforward. Something that I definitely took for granted.

Cons

There were some growing pains due to the scale at which they were hiring. But nothing major.

15 Jan 2018

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us !