Top Hat Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.7
Top Hat Founder & CEO Mike Silagadze
Mike Silagadze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "free lunch and trips to Toronto" (in 27 reviews)

• "Catered lunch every day (very good) amazing coffee machine" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "At times it feels like the company is growing faster than it can cope with and reacts to a lot of situations rather than pre-planning for them" (in 14 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is occasionally hurt since some parts of the job are seasonal" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Aggressive Sales Envrionment"

I worked at Top Hat full-time

Pros

It's a fast paced position. Either you put up good numbers or you're out the door. Definitely a fun environment though.

Cons

Pretty low salary. High expectations.

2. "Solid company overall"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

- Hard working company
    - Smart workforce

Cons

- Can be a stressful environment for some people

3. "work with a sense of purpose"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a huge potential; becoming a dominant platform for both students and educators as it's product truly helps students and teachers and has been adopted by schools one after another recently. You can also find yourself among a fantastic pool of dedicated, talented and hardworking employees every day. The company has a dynamic and vibrant culture and corporate metrics are communicated transparently to employees during the weekly All-Hands sessions. Healthy (and some non-healthy) fruits, snacks, lunch, and drinks are provided daily.

Cons

Attrition is some roles, such as sales is still high, although, with recent org changes and the launch of the leadership training program, it has started to improve.

Advice to Management

It is important to set ambitious goals - that has been the secret sauce of growth at TH, but at this scale, we can't optimize five things in one year. Pick only one (or max two) of the many growth engines you have, dive deep in and then move on to next ones. You cant optimize through culture, renewal, D2P sales, enterprise sale, and NPS/viral growth all at the same time.

4. "Top Hat is a really great place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent work culture! Everyone is so helpful and open to spending as much time as you need helping you if you have any questions or are stuck on something
    - Wonderful coworkers. Everyone is awesome and you get really close with your coworkers because we eat together (see catered lunches bellow!) and play board games, ping pong, and foosball with each other over lunch. Lots of time for good bonding :)
    - Transparency from management. Through all hands meetings, you get to see what is motivating management and what impact your work has. It's very interesting to learn how a company works
    - Great work life balance! I've never had to work overtime. It's always 10-6 with an hour for lunch
    - Did I mention really good catered lunches!
    - Product listens to me. The developers get to work with product to decide what we want to be working on based on what we agree should be top priority. This is great to feel like I have a real impact not just in the actual implementation but also in the decisions.
    - I care about what I'm doing. Top Hat makes educational software that I believe is really helping professors engage their students and make the lives of students and professors easier. This matters to me and feels great to be part of something big.
    - The company cares about me and my career growth

Cons

- Not enough women developers. As a women, it would be great for there to be more women as developers at the company and more diversity

Advice to Management

- There doesn't feel like enough focus on training so it would be great if we could be encouraged to take time during work hours to train and level up. I think it would make us more efficient in the long run

5. "Some good, some OK"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great group of people
    - The educators you get to work with are (most of the time) very invested, smart, and kind individuals
    - Lots of hands-on work, fluid environment (this might not be a pro for everyone, though)
    - Immediate management, while tough sometimes, does try and be there for you as much as they can. Really supportive work environment, easy to go to people for help
    - Very convenient office location (steps from multiple subways)
    - Lifestyle Account and provided lunch are awesome benefits

Cons

- Interview process is a little extreme for the work you're doing
    - Because work revolves around school schedules, there are times of the year that are very slow, but others that are extremely busy and hard to cope with for a lot of people
    - Salary not very competitive with other employers
    - Because it still has a start up mentality, procedures quickly (and oftentimes) change

Advice to Management

- For the most part, you're doing a really good job
    - Increase in compensation would go a long way in reducing turnover rates!

6. "A few months in..."

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great, supportive co-workers who are always willing to help and answer questions
    -company is very transparent overall (weekly company-wide meetings)
    -always busy and many opportunities to develop and grow within Top Hat
    -management incentivizes and recognizes employees

Cons

-little flexibility (in regards to work hours and limited work from home days)
    -long hours (though this was not a surprise and clearly stated in the interview)

7. "First Month Experience"

Current Employee - BDR in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - BDR in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great co-workers who are supportive, willing to help with any questions you may have and very team oriented.
    -Great manager's who are there to coach you and help you grow.
    -Great perks(lunch, breakfast and snacks included)
    -Great office space

Cons

-None so far - it's very fast paced, so if that's something you don't like could see as a problem.

8. "Opportunity for Growth but Unrealistic Hours"

I have been working at Top Hat full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with smart and driven individuals. The opportunity to grow within the company. Great feedback from peers and the willingness of the company to be open to constructive feedback.

Cons

The advertised working hours are unrealistic for the amount of work that is done. The company is growing quickly and changes are implemented quickly in the company but at a rate that does not support additional training that comes with growth and is necessary to have successful implemantion. The biggest con I think is that the company can not keep up with its own growth at the moment - it happens to many other companies as well.

Advice to Management

Reasses the amount of admin that is done on the job. Even when it is not busy, many people stay beyond the 5pm work hours to complete necessary tasks. The admin is what helps keep people accountable and in the end what the company depends on to keep on track. These extended hours should not be a culture that should be perpetuated - take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

"For Anyone Looking to Join Marketing..."

Former Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Top Hat full-time

Pros

Free lunch
    Smart co-workers
    Company has a willingness to try new things
    Casual dress code

Cons

Blame Culture -Between departments people will throw you under the bus to cover themselves. Bosses will tend to take control of decisions and then might blame you if they don't pan out.

Poor management - CMO hands literally shake from all the pressure he is under. He is a needlessly intense individual who can be condescending and not genuine. VPs have too many direct reports and can be passive aggressive, moody and spread too thin to allow for any meaningful coaching. Lots of time they forget what they said, or renege a previous statement. Favoritism is rampant. Leadership will argue among themselves during team meetings.

Bosses will occasionally disclose sensitive information about other employees to you, stuff that should not be privy to you or should ever leave the room. Some employees are cliquey.

You will spend a lot of time spinning wheels providing updates and reports that take a lot of time to generate with no real purpose, attend multiple hour long team meetings (which always start late and run long) and wait days for anything to be approved. Everything you create will be recreated over and over as opposed to being re-purposed. This is mostly due to the ever evolving brand and messaging story (cited as a pro above). You will be expected to work long hours, on weekends and receive texts at 11PM on a Sunday night - however this is part of a start up culture.

No RRSP matching or parental leave benefits - speaks for itself in terms of what they value.

Advice to Management

Do better with projections, stop trying to launch everything at once.

Invest in reducing tech debt, and in your employees' futures.

10. "Things have gone downhill"

I worked at Top Hat full-time

Pros

Staff care about clients and go above and beyond to serve them

Cons

Management is running the organization into the ground.