Wayfair Reviews | Glassdoor.co.in

3.3
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
1,180 Ratings
Pros
  • "They give a work life balance that no other company has been able to provide(in 165 reviews)

• "fringe benefits (including free snacks)(in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • "I think our salaries are slightly below average (the price to pay for the work life balance though)(in 66 reviews)

• "sometimes upper management is hard to communicate with(in 57 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great place to learn, be challenged, and develop your career. There are endless opportunities to lead projects, learn from intelligent colleagues, and develop new skills, all in an exciting, very fast-paced environment. You feel supported by senior leadership who actually want to see you succeed and grow and will give you opportunities to lead and drive strategy for the business. Wayfair also has a fantastic... company culture with great work/life balance. We work hard, but we have a lot of fun as well!

Cons

Leveling/titling at Wayfair is a little interesting and doesn't always seem to match with years of experience. Most people seem to come in at the same level, regardless of the prior years of experience they have, and they tend to down-level people quite frequently from where they were at previous companies. That being said, you're given the support and tools to build your career and move up the ladder pretty... quickly.

Wayfair2019-03-12

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to... run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

Advice to Management

There is literally no hope for this company unless the board decides to fire most of the C-level executives and directors. This place is a lost cause.

Wayfair2017-05-12
  3. "A space to grow, be mentored, and have fun"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is a phenomenal place if you are relatively early in your career, or if you are looking to mentor others. I started a year after graduating undergrad, and have been here for 2 years, and honestly don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Not only is there incredible amounts of mentorship and coaching, but also general support and a true sense of being part of something special. I have learned A TON by being here,... and have had a lot of fun. I just got promoted in my time here -- management is very transparent about what it takes to be promoted.

Cons

Getting promoted is hard. It takes a long time, and a lot of work. Don't come here for the pay

Wayfair2019-11-14
  4. "Assistant category manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Category Manager in Islington, England

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people great management

Cons

Too far to commute to angel

Wayfair2019-11-14
  5. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

I love working here. The people are thinkers, work is challenging and ideas are welcome and expected. The scope of work is amazing and my colleagues are great thought partners. I also love the benefits at this company and the pricing of the medical and dental is highly competitive.

Cons

None for me I love it here

Wayfair2019-11-13
  6. "Overall good experience with my colleagues"

Current Employee - Email Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a lot of autonomy and the ability to see real results quickly

Cons

Sometimes cross-functional partners can be frustrating to work

Advice to Management

Maintain your employees better with incentives to stay

Wayfair2019-11-13
  7. "Fun & Fast Paced Work Environment"

Current Employee - Product Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

- incredibly smart people - good culture - competitive [in a good way]

Cons

- growth brings new hires, which can sometimes slow things down

Wayfair2019-11-12
  8. "AP Analyst Salary"

Current Employee - AP Analyst

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

The culture at Wayfair is unmatched

Cons

Other than engineers they pay their employees poorly

Wayfair2019-11-11
  9. "Great employer"

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Given responsibility on day One. Not micromanaged. Lots of growth and room to suggest process improvements. Strong work like balance. Lots of autonomy.

Cons

This is a fast moving organization- great for some, not for others. You have to be OK working through ambiguity here.

Advice to Management

Promote from within! Each level band is too wide a margin— need levels within each band.

Wayfair2019-11-11

"Interview"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Fun place to work with little stress

Cons

Need a higher pay salary

Wayfair2019-11-05